PDA

View Full Version : NPS career curiosity

Peally
05-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Was going to post this in the LE section but figured there's a pretty wide array of other jobs in the park service field (fire fighting, maintenance, geology, you name it) so I tossed it in here.

TL;DR I’m looking for job info, nothing exciting, here's a doge for you if you're just bored at work:

Boring background: I'm currently considering a few career changes wildly unrelated to my current field. Right now I'm working a dead end IT job in education making a little under what an entry level teacher does. Frankly, I hate the job and during my myriad of meetings with other technicians, salesmen, and administrators I think I’ve yet to meet a single person where I could actually see myself enjoying what they do. Basically it pays the bills, gives me mild carpal tunnel, and reminds me of Office Space. I have a 2 year degree and have been floating around the idea of going for a Bachelor’s while I work this job, but if I do it’s going to be an assload of money, time, and work. I’m 27, single, and the only non-job responsibility on my plate is my dog so time and funds aside it’s probably an ideal time for a career shift.

All bitching aside I was on a trip out west recently to visit a few awesome national parks and had a bit of a mild epiphany moment while observing the staff around Mount Rushmore. Aside from fleeting “that would be cool” thoughts of being a park ranger I never really connected the dots and realized it was a “real” profession in the firearms/law enforcement/security type sense. I’m extremely fond of state and national parks, I like firearms, hell I like the snazzy green cavalry-esque uniforms. Before I trouble any ranger with a clueless phone call I was curious if anyone here had any experience or insight into NPS fields (protection rangers would probably be relevant to members here but I’m curious about all tasks in general) so I could gain any insight into what’s asked of them, what their duties are, how you get to that position, etc.

Right now I’m in the clueless idealized mental image phase of knowing about ranger work versus where I am with general city/county LE (watching it very effectively break down loyal/honorable folks over time to bitter grizzled motherfuckers dealing with scum every day, both in civilians and admin). Really I’m just a dip computer jockey that can barely stand getting shots, looking at dream jobs that aren’t "fighter pilot" or "F1 driver" ;)

Any insights of any sort are very welcome, on this one I'm still trying to get a grasp of what the job is even like. I'm pretty sure it isn't standing around being pretty armed scenery in gift shops, but more forest or monument police (firefighter/guide/insert job here). I've yet to understand if it's even something within mortal grasp or if it's one of those gravy retirement gigs only salty old dudes get through knowing the right people.

Irelander
05-15-2017, 03:35 PM
I feel your pain. I'm in a dead-end EE job and pine to work out of doors. I have a BS in Electrical Engineering. I looked into NPS Protection Ranger work for a while. I even started working on a Masters in Parks and Rec thinking I'd be more marketable in the ranger field with that. The course work was awesome but I abandoned it. Any ranger jobs usually start out as seasonal work. After working seasonally for a while and applying for any and all permanent ranger jobs you might land a protection job but probably not in a location you want to be in. Seemed from the people I talked to that you have to go through the seasonal hard knocks before getting something permanent with benefits. For me, with a wife and kid on the way (at the time) I could not see how to make seasonal work work for me and my situation. Maybe its right up your ally. Don't get me wrong, some guys get right into a permanent position and don't go through the seasonal work, but I think that is rare.

I still think about it but I am too old now for the protection jobs. If you are really passionate about it then go for it. If you play your cards right and get the right training and network in the field like crazy, you will do well and hopefully land a permanent position quickly. The place to start is to find a SLETP (Seasonal Law Enforcement Training Program) in your area. The training looked like some fun stuff to me coming from a desk job.

If anyone has an in with Electronics Technician jobs in the National Forests or Parks let me know.

TheNewbie
05-15-2017, 04:41 PM
Look at CBP Officer positions and BP as well. I talked to a LE ranger at Big Bend last year and he said the full time academy had a two year waiting list. No idea if he had a clue, but the Seasonal academy seems to be the way to get in. You still have to go to the full time academy later.

I just finished my Bachelor degree, and I am only slightly older than you. I am single but have no dog. Except for my Spanish courses, I can honestly say the degree did zero to make me smarter. However, there are jobs I can no apply for that I otherwise would not be able to apply for, regardless of qualifications.

HCM
05-15-2017, 05:08 PM
My understanding is all NPS LE Rangers all start as Seasonals for a few years before being considered for full time positions. The catch, at least back 10 plus years ago was you could not be hired as a seasonal for the same park two years in a row. I recall speaking to a trainee in the full time academy, a native Montanan, who did his first year as a seasonal in Yellowstone and would up having to do a year at a park in a seedy part of Boston before getting picked up full time elsewhere.

I would also look a U.S. Forest Service Ranger positions. I previously worked with them quite a bit on Mexican marijuana grow operations. U.S. Fish and Wildlife have LE Rangers as well though I believe there are fewer than NPS and USFS.

walker2713
05-15-2017, 05:54 PM
May be a longshot, but have you considered becoming a wildlife and fisheries agent? There are a variety of different state DNR operations that would take you into the outdoors, and have some similarity to park ranger work. I know that at least here in Louisiana wildlife agents are well trained and highly regarded, as well as being seen as full fledged LE professionals.

TheNewbie
05-15-2017, 06:37 PM
The bad thing is many state level wildlife LE jobs require a bachelor degree. Texas State Park police somewhere like Big Bend State Park would be cool, but you need your 4 year degree. Which I find ridiculous.

If you like the outdoors look at Border Patrol. I'm working on my BP app right now.

If you go to the right sheriff's office you can spend a lot of time enjoying the scenery as you drive around.

RevolverRob
05-15-2017, 07:12 PM
NPS jobs in wildlife management will require at least an MS in a conservation-oriented field. If you want to go into geology/resource management (includes archeology and paleontology) you will need at minimum an MS and more likely a PhD in the field of your choice.

Park Ranger is about a 3-year waiting list.

My perspective on this, if you want to do outdoor oriented work at a state/national level, you need to go get a 4-year BS in a field you want to go into. An alternative career choice, which will still require some training...surveying. Field and construction surveying crews are generally in pretty high demand. Takes you outside and keeps your busy most of the year. Surveying skills can serve you well if you want to lean towards archeology/geology/paleontology/resource management.

TheNewbie
05-15-2017, 07:28 PM
RevolverRob has good advice.

HCM
05-15-2017, 07:29 PM
Since this is pistol forum ... there are some Parks, monuments and wildlife refuges on the border which get a bit sporty.

TheNewbie
05-15-2017, 08:21 PM
Since this is pistol forum ... there are some Parks, monuments and wildlife refuges on the border which get a bit sporty.

I almost got my truck stuck in a dry river/wash in big bend state park, due to making a wrong turn like a massive idiot. It was summer, I was alone and 2-4 hours walking distance from help. Thankfully I was able to get out.

Though my only real concerns were the heat and big spiders.

HCM
05-15-2017, 08:34 PM
I almost got my truck stuck in a dry river/wash in big bend state park, due to making a wrong turn like a massive idiot. It was summer, I was alone and 2-4 hours walking distance from help. Thankfully I was able to get out.

Though my only real concerns were the heat and big spiders.

Big Bend is not where I was referring to.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/16353-park-ranger-kristopher-william-eggle

Peally
05-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Thank you everyone with the replies and suggestions so far both in the thread and PMs; it's a lot to process but I'm sure I will have some solid thoughts after going through it all. FWIW I have no issue with going for a 4 year degree but more than that may be well beyond my financial and time capabilities with a full time job on top of it to put kibble on the table. Regardless, very much appreciated guys.

TGS
05-15-2017, 08:57 PM
Thank you everyone with the replies and suggestions so far both in the thread and PMs; it's a lot to process but I'm sure I will have some solid thoughts after going through it all. FWIW I have no issue with going for a 4 year degree but more than that may be well beyond my financial and time capabilities with a full time job on top of it to put kibble on the table. Regardless, very much appreciated guys.

Well, would the reserves or guard work? You could get tuition reimbursement, maybe get some new job skills, serve your country, and at the very least it would be a start to getting "somewhere".

TheNewbie
05-15-2017, 09:05 PM
Big Bend is not where I was referring to.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/16353-park-ranger-kristopher-william-eggle

That's what I figured you were talking about. If I remember correctly they only recently reopened that area and if I'm not mistaken, there are warning signs about more than just the wildlife.

RevolverRob
05-15-2017, 10:00 PM
FYI; remember that Park Service/USFS/USFW positions are all Federal Law Enforcement positions. And thus one of the ways to get your foot in the door is relevant non-Federal Law Enforcement work. You may still need to get your BA depending on the locale, but you could consider game warden work. I spent a lot of time in my mid-20s considering Federal LE work. The recruiters and folks I talked to back then, basically made it clear. Either get a job as a local/state LE OR learn to speak an in-demand language and apply for ICE/CBP and work your way up.

I wanted to qualify before, I have a number of friends and colleagues in Federal/State resource management. In particular in fisheries, geology, archeology, paleontology, and wildlife conservation. All of them have at minimum an MS in a related field (Wildlife Biology, Geo, Arch, etc) and generally had 1-2 years of working experience with a smaller institution (say a River Authority or Local Park/Conservation Group) before being hired at the state of federal level. Those positions are really quite particular and require a very specific set of skills, expertise, and political ability. And I'll just be honest, they are jealously guarded by those who have them or the ability to give them. You won't get a job like that without careful networking and career development.

Hambo
05-16-2017, 05:39 AM
A friend with a BS in biology wanted a cool outdoor job. He started as a seasonal volunteers (did get room and board) but even getting to something that paid was tough. They eventually started taking fire department tests and has made a career in an FD.

Rob mentioned geology, which was something I considered at one point. The track was basically BS straight to MS if you wanted to work to do field work.

LittleLebowski
05-16-2017, 09:19 AM
I think you're on the right track with regards to future jobs. Remember, with government jobs; they might pay less up front but you make up the money "lost" quickly in benefits, raises, and time off.

taadski
05-16-2017, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing you may have stumbled across them as resources already, but if not, check out these links...

http://www.parkrangeredu.org

https://aonpr29.wildapricot.org/Seasonal-Law-Enforcement-Training-Program

I'm not a Parkie but I've spent a lot of time working with the NPS in my region, on both enforcement and Search and Rescue fronts. I also lived with a girl while she was going through the initial NPS LE hiring process. (She's a District Ranger now :p) I personally came really close to lateraling into a NPS enforcement job years ago (it was a climbing ranger position) and not taking advantage of doing so is actually one of my bigger career regrets. FWIW.

There are a couple career Park Circus guys on here that'll hopefully chime in, but... Virtually everybody I know working in a NPS LE capacity went through a SLETC program, got a seasonal LE job then took whatever permanent position that became available to get sent to FLETC and get their permanent status. And THEN applied and transferred to their desired locations as opportunities became available. It definitely seems to be more convenient taking this track while you're younger, single and flexible enough to move around as needed to get your foot in the door. I know owning a house and being relatively planted was a big factor in my decision to not go that route when I was considering it.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Good luck, btw!