PDA

View Full Version : A Note Concerning Site Moderation

Jay Cunningham
05-15-2017, 08:38 AM
PF staff is taking a more marked interest in actively moderating the technical forums. Which forums are considered technical? Everything except the following:

Training Journals
All forums under the header "Classes & Training"
General Discussion
Gallery
All forums under the header "For Sale or Trade"

The above bulleted forums are lightly moderated, however it's expected that there will be no disrespect to site SMEs, "astroturfing", gratuitous profanity, or calls for inter-forum warfare.

Technical forums are not the place for political commentary or general complaining. If this stuff is occurring, a public warning will be issued and moving forward the automated Infraction system will be utilized. This system keeps a permanent record of moderation and assigns point values to the infractions, which in turn can generate appropriate length bans.

Law Enforcement has its own standards to be enforced by the LEO mods.

A reminder:

I. Mission statement:

The mission of pistol-forum.com is to serve as a professional resource for the exchange of information and ideas on the use of the pistol (and other firearms) in self defense, in an armed profession, and in competition. Through the respectful exchange of concepts and information we hope to be a resource that everyone from the accomplished professional to the relative novice can use to refine their ideas and practices to produce the best possible results for their situation.

II. General rules of conduct:

To further the goals of the site as specified in the mission statement, we have developed a code of conduct that we expect members of pistol-forum.com to abide by at all times. Failure to abide by the rules of the site can result in suspension or even termination of your posting privileges.

Under absolutely no circumstances should you ever:

•Post derogatory comments of a racial, religious, or sexual nature.

•Post comments in support of criminal violence or other illegal activities, including illegal modifications of firearms.

•Post comments that threaten harm to law enforcement officers, members of the military, government officials, other members, or the public at large.

•Post someone else’s personal information without permission, or attempt to interfere with someone’s personal/professional life based on web forum discussion.

•Clutter a thread with extraneous nonsense unrelated to the topic.

When involved in discussions we expect you to:

•Remain polite and professional in your conversation with others. Demeaning, insulting, and berating other members will not be tolerated. You are free to disagree, but do so respectfully and with humility.

•Heed direction from pistol-forum.com staff. The volunteer members of staff have been entrusted with the responsibility of protecting the forum’s value to the membership. Your cooperation with them in the effort to make this an outstanding resource is greatly appreciated.

•Show patience with new members who may be unfamiliar with the culture or features of the site. Offering good-natured guidance to new members is encouraged and appreciated.

•Use the report function to alert members of staff to behavior that is not consistent with the conduct we expect of our membership. If someone is out of line, report them. Do not sink to their level.

•Try to use proper English to aid in the comprehensibility of the forum

•Abstain from any inter-forum warfare. Do not say mean things about other forums or people from other forums. We are here to discuss ideas, not personalities.

•Try to keep threads on topic.

•Abstain from posting, or linking to, Not-Safe-For-Work content (pictures, websites, etc.). This would include use in avatars, signatures, etc.

•No whining, please.

•Disclose any commercial interest you have in a product or vendor. This can be done in your signature.

•Abstain from complaining about a problem with a product you aren't willing to contact the manufacturer about.

Please note that simply because you report a post does not necessarily mean action will be taken. Your report is just that - it's not an order to site staff. We will, however, carefully consider all reported posts.

Thanks again for your continued support.

Jay Cunningham
05-15-2017, 10:22 AM
At the first unnecessary personality conflict in a thread, a general warning will be issued. Any further unhelpful posts will be unceremoniously addressed via the Infraction system. Whining about infractions will be met with further infractions. Do not whine about an infraction if you receive one. You received one because you needed an attention-getter.

RoyGBiv
05-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Membership on gun forums trend heavily male, obviously. We have our share of posts of a locker room nature (I'm sure I'm guilty of a few, although much more mindful for a while now) that I read and wonder what Tam or Stephanie B are thinking when they read it. Are we chasing away that valuable perspective or would Jay just accuse me of being easily butthurt? :p

It's a tough balance encouraging serious, broad-perspective, discussion while maintaining a convivial atmosphere.

blues
05-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Membership on gun forums trend heavily male, obviously. We have our share of posts of a locker room nature (I'm sure I'm guilty of a few, although much more mindful for a while now) that I read and wonder what Tam or Stephanie B are thinking when they read it. Are we chasing away that valuable perspective or would Jay just accuse me of being easily butthurt? :p

It's a tough balance encouraging serious, broad-perspective, discussion while maintaining a convivial atmosphere.

Don't forget Tiffany...

Default.mp3
05-15-2017, 12:02 PM
Membership on gun forums trend heavily male, obviously. We have our share of posts of a locker room nature (I'm sure I'm guilty of a few, although much more mindful for a while now) that I read and wonder what Tam or Stephanie B are thinking when they read it. Are we chasing away that valuable perspective or would Jay just accuse me of being easily butthurt? :p I am reminded of this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16050-Guns-for-Girls

It's a tough balance encouraging serious, broad-perspective, discussion while maintaining a convivial atmosphere.Like many things in life, the simple things are often the hardest. I get why people are looser with their words online than offline, but I think the rationale behind that is stupid and flawed; there are many of us that have been able to maintain a polished online persona across multiple forums for long spans of time.

cclaxton
05-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Moderators,
I want to understand where you draw the line on derogatory racial comments. For instance, is complaining about Black Lives Matter considered derogatory? Is the mere mention of BLM derogatory? Or, is pointing out high crime rates in poor black or Hispanic communities considered derogatory? Is making statements supporting confederate statues derogatory? Please give some advice.

Also, I would like to understand where you draw the line on sexual content. It is difficult because this is mostly a male forum, and some use sexually suggestive language. Is use of the word "d*ldo" or "p_nis" or "pu??y" a violation or would it have to actually be in an offensive image or sexually suggestive sentence?

Thanks,
Cody

taadski
05-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Is saying IDPA is ghey considered sexually inappropriate?

:p [runs away]

Zincwarrior
05-15-2017, 01:12 PM
Cody, that is the exact same message you sent via PM and that I replied to above. If you've read my post and it seems unclear, I'd suggest reading it again. If that doesn't help, my advice would be if you think you "need permission" or "clarification" to before posting something, that's a good indication you probably shouldn't.

As long as its ok that I instantly have Tom Jones belting out Delilah every time I see your avatar, then I am all for any needed update. :cool:
(I think I am really dating myself)

When do you expect that to be completed?

Is saying IDPA is ghey considered sexually inappropriate?
See its just this sort of thing thats reflects poorly. As multi year IDPA member its I Don't Practice Anymore. Get it right!

walker2713
05-15-2017, 01:27 PM
After being taken to task by the mods yesterday, I'll agree that there were extraneous and questionable elements to my original post. I can see the point of bringing this to my attention.

On the other hand, the staff's reference to my "shitty comments" and "Bullshit disclaimer" in the post, in my view, wasn't a "mod like" way of going about raising the issue. Right or wrong, I admit it got my hackles up a bit.

George

walker2713
05-15-2017, 01:35 PM
My apologies George. I prefer to take a more "civil" (for lack of a better term) approach to moderation. All the moderators here are completely uncompensated volunteers and regular human beings. As such, they are likely to respond and react as imperfectly as any of us from time to time. The only person I expect a fully robotic demeanor from is me. :)

Understood. Perhaps there's something here for all of us "regular humans" to be more aware of: Staff as well as the riff raff. :rolleyes:

cclaxton
05-15-2017, 01:37 PM
Cody, that is the exact same message you sent via PM and that I replied to above. If you've read my post and it seems unclear, I'd suggest reading it again. If that doesn't help, my advice would be if you think you "need permission" or "clarification" to before posting something, that's a good indication you probably shouldn't.
Tom,
I also want to know what to report.
I was interested in hearing from others as well.
Cody

Jay Cunningham
05-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Just from my perspective:

When a single person reports a post, it is often (I said often, not always so relax) because someone is overly sensitive and has been triggered, or has a personality conflict(s) with someone else.

If multiple people report the same post (yes, this does happen relatively frequently) then usually it's pretty clearly out of line.

Chance
05-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Why don't we have a sub-forum called, "Dumpster Fire," and cut-paste all the garbage there?

orionz06
05-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Why don't we have a sub-forum called, "Dumpster Fire," and cut-paste all the garbage there?

I had suggested, and fully understand that it'd be a bitch to run, a running general discussion/shitposting type thread. Keep it open for a semi-fixed period. All the garbage talk goes there. Limited rules but not Thunderdome.

Jay Cunningham
05-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Here's the problem with that: even though it would be clearly spelled out that this was the place for shitposting and memes - and to stay away if you are easily triggered - people would still go in there and report post because they were triggered.

orionz06
05-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Here's the problem with that: even though it would be clearly spelled out that this was the place for shitposting and memes - and to stay away if you are easily triggered - people would still go in there and report post because they were triggered.

Good for them.

Soggy
05-15-2017, 07:07 PM

Broad-perspective? Wow. Talk about triggering. It's "women's-perspective", thank you.

orionz06
05-15-2017, 07:13 PM
You have no idea how many emails, PMs, phone calls, texts, etc. I get about PF even when people aren't triggered...

Does the forum software allow for trigger warning quotes for those who might be more sensitive? Like a safe mode for the forum?

Jay Cunningham
05-15-2017, 07:17 PM
Does the forum software allow for trigger warning quotes for those who might be more sensitive? Like a safe mode for the forum?

People who are easily triggered like to be triggered. They would switch off auto trigger protection.

Jay Cunningham
05-15-2017, 07:19 PM
It's like when people declare "I have you on ignore!"

Um...

Jay Cunningham
05-15-2017, 07:25 PM
Or like when people ragequit over and over and over again.

They don't really hate PF, they just love ragequitting.

jeep45238
05-15-2017, 07:56 PM
I quit!!!!

Eh, eh? No? Okay.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJ
05-15-2017, 08:02 PM
I quit!!!!

Eh, eh? No? Okay.....

That's not how this works.

That's not how any of this works.

:cool:

Kidding.

I applaud the change in approach. To me, it seems part of the general maturing and growth of the site.

I've come to appreciate the 'let assholes be assholes' approach espoused here, which I find fairly refreshing, and unique. Hopefully that will continue (to a degree), tempered by the (invisible to us members) raps on the snout with a rolled up newspaper being administered behind the scenes, as it were. :)

GJM
05-15-2017, 08:07 PM
Everyone likes moderation until they are the one being moderated -- one of those better to give than receive things.

Jay Cunningham
05-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Everyone likes moderation until they are the one being moderated -- one of those better to give than receive things.

^ This.

Jay Cunningham
05-15-2017, 08:38 PM
I kind of like the "don't be too much of a dick" thing...

Paul Sharp
05-15-2017, 09:00 PM

I've fought dyslexia my entire life. Sometimes though, it makes me laugh. I TOTALLY read the quoted post wrong, in a very humorous way. "I kind of like too much dick"...

Dyslexia, I love you sometimes.

Jay Cunningham
05-15-2017, 09:20 PM
I've fought dyslexia my entire life. Sometimes though, it makes me laugh. I TOTALLY read the quoted post wrong, in a very humorous way. "I kind of like too much dick"...

Dyslexia, I love you sometimes.

Reported.

Chance
05-15-2017, 09:55 PM

Are we measuring that based on a post's initial presentation, or after the forum's reaction has sufficiently solidified? Big difference for some people.

Paul Sharp
05-15-2017, 09:55 PM
Reported.

Doh!!

On the topic of the thread; was/is there an issue with the mods? I kinda look at it two ways; 1) it's all about choice. I can choose to read through a thread that's a big pool of diarrhea in hopes of finding something useful... or I can click out of the thread and scroll through all the other threads to find something interesting and leave the guys/gals that are involved in the poo flinging to their own devices. Once folks start going at each other, I click out of the thread as I know it's probably not going to right itself so anything past that point is a waste of time. Someone posts something offensive, I just scroll past. I don't think, hey why isn't a mod doing something about this?! I choose to roll on, and if that poster is a frequent poster of stupid I know to just blow past their posts.

2) In the worlds I walk around in, there's a lot of testosterone, dudes have beef all the time. It doesn't involve me so I stay out of it. A few guys going at each other on a thread, in a restaurant or on a basketball court? It's none of my business and I'm not taking sides, they'll sort it out. I try to get along with everyone, leave the ones with issues to themselves and I stay out of it. Just like in real life, I know I have friends that don't like each other. I don't ask them why, I don't try to play peacemaker, and I don't engage in conversation about one with the other. That part of their life has nothing to do with me and I'm not about to pick up that rock and drop it in my pocket. Maybe that approach is wrong however, I don't find myself in the middle of a lot of drama so it might have some merit.

I look at new posts when I log in, and I use the search function a lot. So maybe I'm missing something that's going on elsewhere on the site? Either way in the end we're all guests here. Even if I'm a site supporter, I'm still a guest. Just as if this were a bar or restaurant. I don't get to act like an ass because I regularly pay a $500 bar tab. The owner can still ask me to leave if I'm acting up and if I refuse to behave the owner can call in the 400 pound bouncer to give me a blackjack shampoo.

Again, I could be missing something here so there's that...

Jay Cunningham
05-15-2017, 09:59 PM
To be fair, Tom and I were both in the Navy. So there's no such thing as too much dick.

Paul Sharp
05-15-2017, 10:26 PM
To be fair, Tom and I were both in the Navy. So there's no such thing as too much dick.

There is no success quite like excess, moderation is for cowards and failures.

Totem Polar
05-16-2017, 12:58 AM
Mods here are now slightly different shit.

Aray
05-16-2017, 02:48 AM
Mods here are now slightly different shit.

It took too long for this to be said.

Paul Sharp
05-16-2017, 07:32 AM
...Why are we changing now? Because the membership, while largely excellent, seems to be having difficulty limiting how much of a dick they are willing to be and a different moderation style/approach is now warranted.

Makes sense.

JHC
05-16-2017, 08:11 AM
FWIW, one of the first things I did after I assumed the helm at PF was to tell the Staff how I wanted the site to be moderated. My exact words then, were that the entirety of the rules (as reposted by Jay in the OP) could, and should, be interpreted (and enforced) moving forward as "Don't be too much of a dick." I'm not really sure what your question is, but "don't be too much of a dick precedes this thread and the forum's sufficiently solidified reaction (whatever that is) by years.

Why are we changing now? Because the membership, while largely excellent, seems to be having difficulty limiting how much of a dick they are willing to be and a different moderation style/approach is now warranted.

Agree. There is no way IMO the quality of content can be maintained during expansion without the proposed moderation.

And ball busting moderation can be a lot of fun. There was a time, years back that the Lightfighter moderation was BRUTAL. It was hysterical and I was on the receiving end of it once from Pat Rogers himself. It was an epic "GET BACK IN YOUR LANE". He was right. And I did. :D

Chance
05-16-2017, 08:44 AM
There was a time, years back that the Lightfighter moderation was BRUTAL. It was hysterical and I was on the receiving end of it once from Pat Rogers himself. It was an epic "GET BACK IN YOUR LANE". He was right. And I did. :D

Well, if we're talking about technical forums, and someone starts talking about a subject they're clearing not qualified to discuss, that sort of barking is warranted. Such as people that read a few things off Wikipedia and then start arguing with DocGKR about terminal ballistics: many are well meaning, they just don't understand who they're talking to.

I haven't seen everything the mods are privy to, but it seems like the present issue is more of a sleight-of-hand dickishness problem. But again, I don't see what the mods see, so I could be way off.

I'm not really sure what your question is, but "don't be too much of a dick precedes this thread and the forum's sufficiently solidified reaction (whatever that is) by years.

It was a dick joke. Long day, couldn't quite make the ends meet.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
05-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Agree. There is no way IMO the quality of content can be maintained during expansion without the proposed moderation.

And ball busting moderation can be a lot of fun. There was a time, years back that the Lightfighter moderation was BRUTAL. It was hysterical and I was on the receiving end of it once from Pat Rogers himself. It was an epic "GET BACK IN YOUR LANE". He was right. And I did. :D

Re. LF agreed JHC, still my home & it only took one time in 2009 for Pat (RIP) to *gently* urge me back into my lane.

Learning occurred that day that I still adhere to presently. Reading more & posting less unless I have personal or validated experience to share that is *relevant* to the OP's topic. Long ago a friend in Nac also mentored me re. forums & posting, very sim. to Pat's guidance.

That said, it's time for me to get back into my lane, sorry about the drift.

Chance
05-16-2017, 09:05 AM
I'm an idiot. You'd think as a guy that spends the majority of his day annoying his "friends" with fart and dick jokes I would have picked up on that. Sorry. :(

It was a little obtuse. My first proposal was, "How do we measure that?", and then I was like, "Nah, I could use bigger words than that." At any rate, sorry for the non-RR thread hijack. :)

ETA: On a different note, I've always been curious about the concept of sort of a "super user" type thing. We still want the forum to be focused on shooting, but we don't want to devolve into hunting for "likes" or rating people on a post count. So, why not dig through the technical forums to see who consistently makes solid contributions there, and designate those folks as "super users." Guys like HeadHunter, BehindBlueI's, John Hearne, Wayne Dobbs, Sean M, Dagga Boy, Surf, and plenty of others are the ones that bring the technical value to the forum.

If you designate folks like that as "super users," and then when they get pissed off by something, I would opine that should be treated differently than your run of the mill member that just sort of hangs out. And you can keep the designation under wraps, so people don't get butt hurt about not being chosen to be put in that category.

LittleLebowski
05-16-2017, 09:16 AM

Odin Bravo One
05-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Most people I know with the technical expertise and practical experience don't want to be given special titles or special influence. Especially as to how things get moderated. More than one of the board's "SME's" pushed back when Todd suggested such a status. The concept of it is nice in theory, but none of us are holier than thou, or infallible. Sometimes we're flat out wrong.

My frustration with forums in general lies with ignorance and malicious posts towards other members. You can't moderate a persons personality. If they choose to be an ignorant asshole, all you can really do is slap them with the ban hammer. That said, even nice people have bad days, and the Internet is famous for its ability to misconstrue meaning of remarks.

I don't know how to effectively moderate a shooting forum. This is why I'm not a moderator.

The best solution ive found has been to not participate in topics where known jackasses are lingering.

voodoo_man
05-16-2017, 10:39 AM
https://pics.me.me/momma-says-marines-are-angry-because-they-gotall-that-hunger-7279552.png

LOKNLOD
05-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Or like when people ragequit over and over and over again.

They don't really hate PF, they just love ragequitting.

The key to forum zen is that quit-raging is more effective than rage-quitting.

Peally
05-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Did LL make a "mods here are shit" joke yet or do I need to?

LOKNLOD
05-16-2017, 02:06 PM

Multi thread crossover joke:

The key-mods here are shit.

Jay Cunningham
05-16-2017, 02:20 PM
This is starting to get good.

Mitch
05-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Multi thread crossover joke:

The key-mods here are shit.

Careful or the thread may get m-lok'ed.

LOKNLOD
05-16-2017, 02:34 PM

M-LOK, N-LOD, potato, potahto.

BehindBlueI's
05-16-2017, 02:56 PM
It was a little obtuse. My first proposal was, "How do we measure that?", and then I was like, "Nah, I could use bigger words than that." At any rate, sorry for the non-RR thread hijack. :)

ETA: On a different note, I've always been curious about the concept of sort of a "super user" type thing. We still want the forum to be focused on shooting, but we don't want to devolve into hunting for "likes" or rating people on a post count. So, why not dig through the technical forums to see who consistently makes solid contributions there, and designate those folks as "super users." Guys like HeadHunter, BehindBlueI's, John Hearne, Wayne Dobbs, Sean M, Dagga Boy, Surf, and plenty of others are the ones that bring the technical value to the forum.

If you designate folks like that as "super users," and then when they get pissed off by something, I would opine that should be treated differently than your run of the mill member that just sort of hangs out. And you can keep the designation under wraps, so people don't get butt hurt about not being chosen to be put in that category.

I jokingly changed my title to "Rod" awhile back after some PMs and it was a joke (probably to no one but me) along the lines of "Thy Rod and thy staff..." The Rod's purpose is simply to skull things that need to be skulled. It doesn't have the concerns the Staff must. I do not think I would make a good Staff. Tom has been way more patience with posers and general fuckery than I would have been. I also do not have to live with the consequences or the financial concerns, nor am I willing to dedicate as much of my time and energy as he is.

Honestly, I waiver on how much to participate. I am quite aware I shit post and joke around as much, or more, as anyone. I do this mostly for my own amusement, and now for Blues, since he seems to share my sense of humor. I do not know the end goal for PF. It seems to me it used to be more of a encyclopedia, a repository for information but not much socialization and fairly firm moderation to stay on topic. It's more of a mix of chat room and repository now. It seems more active, as well, but we've lost some folks who were valuable and helped make this place different. Not a value judgement, simply an observation. The greatest resource in the world is useless if it can't keep the lights on and no one can use it. It seems to me most of the conflicts invariably involve the same hand full of members. That is why you do not want me as Staff. Tom works hard to keep the herd safe and happy. I'd just skull the problem, and move on.

I'd laugh my ass off if the opposite of an SME system was put into place, though. Some enforced title that is the equivalent of wearing a helmet when you have to go outside and being reminded that we don't lick windows, now do we?

blues
05-16-2017, 03:08 PM
I am quite aware I shit post and joke around as much, or more, as anyone. I do this mostly for my own amusement, and now for Blues, since he seems to share my sense of humor.

Sure, throw me under the bus why dontcha? And here I was being all quiet and good sitting in the corner with my hands in my lap, fingers interlaced.

(And I even sent a PM to Tom this morning pretty much quoting "Froggy the Gremlin", (you'd have to be really old to even have a clue), stating essentially: "I'll be good, I will, I will".)

Sigh. No good deed goes unpunished. ;)

Chance
05-16-2017, 03:14 PM
That is why you do not want me as Staff.

I'm not advocating a new category of moderator, just a sort of flag that says, "If this person's irritated, it warrants attention." It could help separate legitimate "Report Threads" from Pistol-Forum Justice Warrior butt hurt.

And I wouldn't put anyone who has an avatar of a squirrel in a hat in a position of authority anywhere. Or anyone with an avatar of a mammal in a hat, for that matter.

Joe in PNG
05-16-2017, 03:23 PM

Puns, great. You wanna get haikus? Because this is how we get haikus!

Chance
05-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Puns, great. You wanna get haikus? Because this is how we get haikus!

Shit, this just got real.
No one asked for haikus here,
Here we go anyway....

Joe in PNG
05-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Here we go anyway....

This is why we can't have nice things.

Chance
05-16-2017, 03:49 PM
I didn't bring it up, dude.

Zincwarrior
05-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Here we go anyway....

Oh you're good!

Mr_White
05-16-2017, 03:53 PM
haikus are annoy
someone should junk punch the one
who started this crap

Mr_White
05-16-2017, 03:54 PM
never try to junk
punch a junk puncher or king
of all junk carry

ER_STL
05-16-2017, 03:59 PM
I'd laugh my ass off if the opposite of an SME system was put into place, though. Some enforced title that is the equivalent of wearing a helmet when you have to go outside and being reminded that we don't lick windows, now do we?

AWESOME. Would this be self-assigned or would someone have to earn it? And if the latter, is it done by popular vote? I'd love a Troll/Dolt/Jackwagon type button that could be clicked that could earn someone the title if enough votes were accumulated...

LittleLebowski
05-16-2017, 04:05 PM

Who said that was a joke?

octagon
05-16-2017, 05:18 PM
AWESOME. Would this be self-assigned or would someone have to earn it? And if the latter, is it done by popular vote? I'd love a Troll/Dolt/Jackwagon type button that could be clicked that could earn someone the title if enough votes were accumulated...

That works great for a popularity contest where everyone tries to get in the "right" clique instead of focusing on improving themselves and helping others improve through intelligent dialogue. Sometimes new or controversial ideas can ruffles feathers or go against dogma or "normal" ideas.

Jay Cunningham
05-16-2017, 05:36 PM
This is all just an elaborate ploy to liven up the next PFestivus.

Drang
05-16-2017, 05:40 PM

Or... we get all the Pfestivus Spirit out now, and Pfestivus itself will be a let down!

Chance
05-16-2017, 05:45 PM

The last PFestivus just devolved into everyone getting along. Kind of like this thread.

Peally
05-16-2017, 05:46 PM
The last PFestivus just devolved into everyone getting along. Kind of like this thread.

I'll spruce it up a little bit with a post or two. I got a lotta problems with you people!

voodoo_man
05-16-2017, 06:10 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/ql8We4dFfaeRO/giphy.gif

RoyGBiv
05-16-2017, 06:18 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGU8_9UuSM4

Jay Cunningham
05-16-2017, 06:46 PM

It was like last call at the local watering hole with everybody hanging off each other while drunkenly singing along with Billy Joel's Piano Man on the jukebox.

blues
05-16-2017, 07:00 PM
It was like last call at the local watering hole with everybody hanging off each other while drunkenly singing along with Billy Joel's Piano Man on the jukebox.

"It's nine o'clock and it's PFestivus
The regular crowd shuffles in
There's a loudmouth posting after me
Makin' love to his tonic and gin

He says, "Son, I'll recite you false memories
I'm not really sure but here goes
They're not mine but they're neat, and I memorized complete
Like I wore that Special Op's clothes."

Chance
05-16-2017, 07:04 PM

You're old, and I'm​ not sure if you're being ironic (and I don't know the lyrics to 'Piano Man'). At any rate, the ultimate drunken chorus song will forever be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0_der_5hRM

Caballoflaco
05-16-2017, 07:58 PM

B-but, but this window tastes like fruit striped gum and jerry curl.....:(

Totem Polar
05-16-2017, 09:18 PM

Well. Played.

blues
05-16-2017, 10:05 PM
Well. Played.

Thank you, sir.

WobblyPossum
05-17-2017, 09:07 AM
Could there be a section where haikus are mandated to be? Some kind of wall that keeps the haikus out? That way they don't end up in every other thread I've been reading. I dislike haikus. It should be noted that I am biased as I'm more of a dirty limerick guy.

orionz06
05-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Could there be a section where haikus are mandated to be? Some kind of wall that keeps the haikus out? That way they don't end up in every other thread I've been reading. I dislike haikus. It should be noted that I am biased as I'm more of a dirty limerick guy.

If haikus are allowed then so should memes.

blues
05-17-2017, 09:37 AM

There once was a member named Dan,
Who complained to the mods about spam,
He said haikus suck,
They belong in the muck,
But bawdy limericks..."Why, yes ma'am"

John Hearne
05-17-2017, 10:12 AM
ETA: On a different note, I've always been curious about the concept of sort of a "super user" type thing. We still want the forum to be focused on shooting, but we don't want to devolve into hunting for "likes" or rating people on a post count. So, why not dig through the technical forums to see who consistently makes solid contributions there, and designate those folks as "super users." Guys like HeadHunter, BehindBlueI's, John Hearne, Wayne Dobbs, Sean M, Dagga Boy, Surf, and plenty of others are t

Thanks for the mention. I'm not sure whether to tell my wife that "all that time you waste on stupid forums" has finally paid off.....

Robinson
05-17-2017, 02:20 PM

Yeah the last PFestivus just got sort of weird. I'm sure any bourbon-fueled late night contributions I made were pretty dumb too.

But the previous PFestivus, now THAT was a PFestivus to remember. Good times... and pretty much haiku free as I recall. I remember being sad when the Blanton's ran out.

Oh and I applaud the mods' efforts to continue a high level of quality here on PF.

TheNewbie
05-17-2017, 06:58 PM
I can't believe people text and call about stuff that happens on a forum. It just blows my mind people let words on the net get to them.

Speaking of words, I just kept trying to spell forum with an "N" included. Obviously it would not work and I gave in to spell check. :(

Jay Cunningham
05-24-2017, 06:59 AM
There is a thread currently in a technical forum which has numerous members - many of them long time established members - acting like complete and utter retards after numerous staff notices to stop doing so. We started handing out infractions.

Next time any of you feel the urge to post the standard "PF sucks, mods are shit" observation, pause briefly and look at the root cause.

"It's these damn new people" and "mods don't give a shit" doesn't seem to the driving force here.

JHC
05-24-2017, 07:09 AM

So cool I had to quote it.

blues
05-24-2017, 09:02 AM
So cool I had to quote it.

I'm honored, brother. :cool:

taadski
05-24-2017, 11:37 AM
There is a thread currently in a technical forum which has numerous members - many of them long time established members - acting like complete and utter retards after numerous staff notices to stop doing so. We started handing out infractions.

Link?

😈

RJ
05-24-2017, 12:04 PM
Link?

[emoji48]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170524/192ea35b307443721c4e9242f1a62615.jpg

:)

Peally
05-26-2017, 09:02 AM
SSD comes across as really whiny as a result. Different situation; they've decided to go with the "YOU'VE BEEN WARNED STAY IN YOUR LANE" approach to random readers on an internet news article site, which is completely ineffective and makes them look like twats.

blues
05-26-2017, 09:10 AM
SSD comes across as really whiny as a result. Different situation; they've decided to go with the "YOU'VE BEEN WARNED STAY IN YOUR LANE" approach to random readers on an internet news article site, which is completely ineffective and makes them look like twats.

Respectfully, I would have to agree that the way the SSD admonition was worded (and comes across) just sounds like it would stifle much relevant discussion with heavy handed and unnecessary "moderation".

Moderation is best when its presence is not constantly felt and drawing attention to itself. Imho, of course, based upon my years of experience moderating elsewhere. The key word in this regard being "elsewhere" since this is Tom's site.

JHC
05-26-2017, 09:24 AM
Recent post on SSD (http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/26/warning-will-robinson/) perhaps relevant to this topic of this thread:

I think that makes great sense for SSD. They exist as a distribution mode for disseminating industry news esp products. They are probably on many a marketing dept's short list to get the press releases. That is a good thing.

And they don't want to be the place where scores of somedoods act out their vast knowledge. That's what enthusiast forums are for. ;)

BehindBlueI's
05-26-2017, 09:36 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Soldiers Systems Daily
Consider Yourself Warned

You aren’t a comedian

How does he know?

blues
05-26-2017, 09:38 AM
How does he know?

https://youtu.be/kWKa_GO_3hc

GJM
05-26-2017, 10:37 AM
I was relieved to see in this massive crackdown, so far at least, use of the thoughtful haiku remains unscathed.