PDA

View Full Version : Anyone played with 'kid' rifles?

Jac
12-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Just a bit of semi-idle thinking ahead... She's only two months old, but I'm definitely getting my daughter a single shot .22 rifle for when she's 6 or 7 years old. And all things considered, there's no reason not to start shopping -- and possibly purchasing -- now.

Realizing that there's probably not a whole lot of difference between the various offerings (Chipmunk, Cricket, etc.), has anyone got some hands-on with anything in this class? Is there anything to look for and/or avoid?

Or should I just save for a M&P 15-22 to start with and have her single-load 'til she's got the fundamentals down? :)

peterb
12-26-2011, 04:49 PM
The Savage Cub and Rascal have a decent trigger and the option of peep sights, which are both good for new shooters. A while back I bought a used youth-sized Marlin that had a trigger that was ridiculously heavy for an adult, let alone someone with small hands. The new Marlin trigger is supposed to be much better.

SLG
12-26-2011, 04:58 PM
It's a bit bigger and heavier, but the CZ Scout is 100% better built than those little kids guns, plus she'll never really outgrow it. Much more accurate too.

The 15-22 does have the advantage of readily adjustable LOP though, and it's another gun she'll never outgrow.

I found the cricket difficult to load (can't just drop a round in and close the bolt), cheaply made, and not very accurate. I really like the idea of a 2# pack gun though.

tmoore912
12-26-2011, 06:03 PM
I have been really please with the Marlin XT-22 bolt action rifle I bought for my 7 and 10 year old girls. I prefer the 7 round magazine fead bolt action, because it is easier to make safe by opening bolt and ejecting mag. Length of pull is what really makes this model ideal for my girls. The girth of the grip is nice and small too for small hands to grip the rifle firmly, but also be able to reach the trigger. The gun has the Weaver rail built into the top of the action, and it is also drilled and taped for mounting a more serious scope. The barrel is micro grooved and is extremely accurate. Picked it up at Bass-Pro for under $200 OTD.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/Marlin%20XT-22%20Bolt%20Action%20Rifle/2011-12-26_17-23-43_421.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/Marlin%20XT-22%20Bolt%20Action%20Rifle/2011-12-26_17-26-01_194.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/Marlin%20XT-22%20Bolt%20Action%20Rifle/2011-12-04_10-38-57_304.jpg

seabiscuit
12-26-2011, 06:25 PM
I have a 15-22 and although the adjustable LOP would be nice for a little one, the quad rail forend wouldn't be good for small hands. Also, loading a single round is a pain, and the manual of arms is more complicated, I think.

I started on a break action GAMO air rifle. It was a small one that shot about 500 fps. It was great because it was small, light, easy to load, and quiet.

I'd get some kind of dedicated single-shot rifle.

David Armstrong
12-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I've started several young shooters out on the Crickett rifle with good results. Easy to work with, adequate sights and trigger, very safe.

jmjames
12-27-2011, 01:24 PM
What about the Ruger 10/22? I got one when I was around 8, I seem to recall it being well suited to me. My son is 4 1/2 now, and I thought the 10/22 would be good because I could shoot it too.

J.Ja

lcarr
12-27-2011, 02:11 PM
I bought each of my girls a .22 rifle when they turned 8. My thoughts were along the lines of giving each of them a rifle they could use into adulthood and pass along to their own children.

The first was a Marlin 1897 Annie Oakley edition. The gun is very well made and accurate. However, the stock was too long and the gun too heavy for an 8-year-old girl. She had to shoot it primarily from a rest, though she did learn to shoot it very well. Also, the buckhorn sights are fine once you get used to them, but are perhaps a little more complicated to explain to a child.

The second got a Remington 552 Speedmaster, an exquisite rifle. I didn't learn my lesson with the first one: again, the stock was too long and the gun was too heavy. Further, the new models come with a high cheek piece for scopes, making the iron sights harder to use. It's wonderful to shoot, though, and dead nuts reliable.

My favorite gun for teaching children is a 1911 with a Marvel .22 conversion, including the steel compensator, and a Docter sight. The steel frame and the compensator make recoil almost nonexistent. The red dot allows me to teach trigger control before and separately from iron sight picture. Finally, the light 1911 trigger is easy for children to press.

Lincoln