PDA

View Full Version : Roland/Chuck on P&S

warpedcamshaft
05-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Just watched P&S modcast 97... and I am so happy to see Chuck back on the podcast.

ragnar_d
05-13-2017, 08:41 PM
Agreed. I really like his style . . . and his rant/monologue on pistols and their psychological affect on people in Iraq was a 10/10 in my book. "Aw shit, Republican guard is in the neighborhood. Pookie's gonna get it in the f***ing head!"

DocGKR
05-14-2017, 09:10 AM
He is an extremely experienced individual who has endured great sacrifice on behalf of our Nation; I closely listen to anything he has to say...

Artemas2
05-14-2017, 10:03 AM
Was very excited to see him back on the show also.

I hope the seeing Steve Fisher this month is at the class I am attending. That would be an extra layer of awesome.

Xrslug
05-15-2017, 02:47 AM
I was also really glad to hear him back on the show. He has an astounding level of real world experience, he's analytical, detail oriented, smart, funny, and a great storyteller. Very rare to find that all in one person.

spinmove_
05-15-2017, 07:14 AM
I thought I recognized his voice on the latest podcast, but was confused for a bit as people were calling this Roland voiced guy "Chuck" for some reason. What's the story on that? Why was he Roland before and now Chuck?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

spinmove_
05-15-2017, 07:22 AM
He was still active duty in a SMU and is now retired.

Makes sense. Sounds like he's primarily doing consulting work and training now?

HCM
05-15-2017, 08:09 AM
Makes sense. Sounds like he's primarily doing consulting work and training now?

https://www.facebook.com/presscheckconsulting/posts/1159577114130254

Erick Gelhaus
05-15-2017, 08:10 AM
Well, HCM covered that for me.
:cool:

LOKNLOD
05-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Am I correct in connecting dots that Chuck/Roland = BasicLoad?

warpedcamshaft
05-15-2017, 10:17 AM
I thought I recognized his voice on the latest podcast, but was confused for a bit as people were calling this Roland voiced guy "Chuck" for some reason. What's the story on that? Why was he Roland before and now Chuck?

It's funny because they would slip up on the podcast before and call him Chuck every once in a while. Before he was out.

warpedcamshaft
05-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Am I correct in connecting dots that Chuck/Roland = BasicLoad?

Yes... BasicLoad from LF days.

He was at it for a long time... He was at the Battle of Roberts Ridge.

spinmove_
05-15-2017, 10:45 AM
It's funny because they would slip up on the podcast before and call him Chuck every once in a while. Before he was out.

So just for shits n giggles I googled Roland Deschain just to see what would come up. Naturally the biggest pings were of the character from The Dark Tower series. I now feel like a doofus that just discovered the meaning behind some long running inside joke.

Default.mp3
05-15-2017, 11:11 AM
So just for shits n giggles I googled Roland Deschain just to see what would come up. Naturally the biggest pings were of the character from The Dark Tower series. I now feel like a doofus that just discovered the meaning behind some long running inside joke.Pressburg seems rather fond of the trope, given that he posted as The_Last_Gunslinger (or something like that) over on LF for a little while after the basicload handle had been retired the first time, and before he picked up the Roland pseudonym for the P&S stuff. The irony, of course, is that King is fairly heavily pro-gun-control.

He was at it for a long time... He was at the Battle of Roberts Ridge.While part of his unit was, and his men were some of the KIAs, I don't believe he himself was.
15 years ago today, my amazing husband was the platoon sergeant in charge of a 65 man Ranger strike force from 1st Ranger Battalion deployed to Afghanistan in 2001. Chuck's element due to circumstances beyond his control were split between the two largest bases in Afghanistan. Early on the morning of the 4th the half of Chuck's Platoon that were with the Platoon Leader at the other base were sent to a mountain top to rescue a Navy Seal unit pinned down in a fire fight. When Chuck's guys got to the mountain, the SEALS had retreated, and only the enemy remained. They shot down their helicopter and killed three of Chuck's guys. Mark Anderson, Brad Crose, and Matthew Commons were among the 7 Americans killed. Chuck's youngest Son, Jack Matthew, is named after Matt Commons. Three books and a motion picture have been written about the event where chuck’s Rangers received the most valor medals for a group it’s size for a single action since the Vietnam war. Chuck was forever scarred by this terrible event, the loss of life of his men, and the fact that he was not able to be with them during the battle.

warpedcamshaft
05-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Ah. I see.

I stand corrected.