PDA

View Full Version : Steyr Files Lawsuit Against SIG SAUER over the P320

5pins
05-10-2017, 05:59 AM
I’m not sure how this will affect things but.
Steyr Files Lawsuit Against SIG SAUER, Demands Injunction Against P320 for Patent Infringement https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/05/foghorn/lawsuit-filed-sig-sauer-steyr-patent-infringement-new-army-p320/

Clobbersaurus
05-10-2017, 07:22 AM
Interesting.

I just googled the Styer M-A1, and it took a bit of searching because the gun is about as popular as a good case of hemorrhoids, but it does look like it has a removable chassis, similar to the P320.

I bet Sig is pretty glad they didn't try to use the trapezoid sights on the P320 too. :rolleyes:

spinmove_
05-10-2017, 08:10 AM
I heard something about that. Interesting how Steyr didn't go after them when the P250 first came out...

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

JohnO
05-10-2017, 08:14 AM
Glock v. S&W all over again. (patent infringement)

modrecoil
05-10-2017, 08:57 AM
The butthurt in the TTAG comments section is amusing. It's just business, folks. Maybe Steyr can take a settlement and use it to hire a decent marketing director for the US market. They make great guns. I have 3.

HCountyGuy
05-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Interesting how Steyr didn't go after them when the P250 first came out...

Very much this. Methinks Steyr is looking to collect on Sig's recent good fortune as far as winning high-value contracts.

There's some other pistols out that have a removable chassis too, will Steyr be suing them too?

NEPAKevin
05-10-2017, 11:34 AM
SIG really should have an optional safety device that mounts on the rear of the pistol and disables stuff whilst holstering. Something completely original in concept. :rolleyes:

Totem Polar
05-10-2017, 12:15 PM
I heard something about that. Interesting how Steyr didn't go after them when the P250 first came out...

Very much this. Methinks Steyr is looking to collect on Sig's recent good fortune as far as winning high-value contracts.

To borrow a saying from the music industry: "If you get a hit, expect a writ..."

Drang
05-10-2017, 08:53 PM
We're discussing this in the New duty pistol – SIG P320 Carry 9mm (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24934-New-duty-pistol-%96-SIG-P320-Carry-9mm/page6) thread, starts around Page 5.

So, Steyr lets Sig release the P250, with no comment, and several other manufacturers do similar, ditto, and then when Sig hits it big...

BillSWPA
05-11-2017, 04:20 PM
We're discussing this in the New duty pistol – SIG P320 Carry 9mm (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24934-New-duty-pistol-%96-SIG-P320-Carry-9mm/page6) thread, starts around Page 5.

So, Steyr lets Sig release the P250, with no comment, and several other manufacturers do similar, ditto, and then when Sig hits it big...

The statute of limitations for patent infringement is six years. So, Steyr can collect damages on any infringing acts within the past 6 years. A recent Supreme Court case held that latches does not apply to patent infringement suits. Latches is an equitable equivalent of a statute of limitations, and is based on prejudice to the defendant through loss of evidence, etc. due to passage of time. Plaintiffs are free to bring suit at any time, and to collect damages going back 6 years. The opinion specifically discusses waiting to see if and against whom it is worth filing suit, and apparently this type of wait and see is intended to be allowed.

Tamara
05-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Interesting how Steyr didn't go after them when the P250 first came out...

I'm no lawyer, but it seems like that might come back to haunt them.

Tamara
05-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Maybe Steyr can take a settlement and use it to hire a decent marketing director for the US market.

So, at NRAAM last year I'm talking to their marketing guy at their booth. I'm mentioning that the C9-A1 I was shooting was having serious function problems with underpowered bulk Federal and CCI 115gr ball. And he tells me that there was a newer RSA available but I shouldn't be surprised because this was a precision Austrian pistol, and it was designed to fire quality ammo. I didn't have the heart to point out to him that the ammo in question functioned fine in a certain other brand of pistol that was also Austrian. :D

Drang
05-12-2017, 05:13 PM
So, at NRAAM last year I'm talking to their marketing guy at their booth. I'm mentioning that the C9-A1 I was shooting was having serious function problems with underpowered bulk Federal and CCI 115gr ball. And he tells me that there was a newer RSA available but I shouldn't be surprised because this was a precision Austrian pistol, and it was designed to fire quality ammo. I didn't have the heart to point out to him that the ammo in question functioned fine in a certain other brand of pistol that was also Austrian. :D
"Your Marketing mind tricks won't on me..."

modrecoil
05-13-2017, 06:58 PM
I don't think Steyr is winning awards for active listening skills (Nein backstraps for you!!). At least not in the US. Don't know how they do business overseas.
Yeah, I know. Close enough.

Tamara
05-13-2017, 11:39 PM
I don't think Steyr is winning awards for active listening skills (Nein backstraps for you!!). At least not in the US. Don't know how they do business overseas.

Best part? Dude I was talking to was as 'Murrican as bacon cooked on a Harley exhaust pipe at a BBQ in the parking lot of a Charlie Daniels concert before an SEC football game. :eek:

Stephanie B
05-15-2017, 11:27 AM

"Austrian precision" vs. "Austrian perfection"?

LittleLebowski
05-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Best part? Dude I was talking to was as 'Murrican as bacon cooked on a Harley exhaust pipe at a BBQ in the parking lot of a Charlie Daniels concert before an SEC football game. :eek:

I need a cigarette after reading that fine wordsmithing.

Tamara
05-15-2017, 12:49 PM
"Austrian precision" vs. "Austrian perfection"?

The Glock's always been good about eating garbage ammo that could turn Steyrs, Walthers, and other striker guns a little finicky. One of the things I noticed early on in shooting Sig P320's is that they seemed to be able to function on bottom-feeder ammo about as good as a G-lock.

Peally
05-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Their gun shoots bullets out of cartridges! I demand restitution for my stolen designs!

- John Moses Browning (dated never)

Full17
06-08-2017, 12:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgpMoAwYLgQ

Full17
06-08-2017, 01:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnAaiuXkdJI

octagon
06-08-2017, 02:54 PM
For comparison of the two guns in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JMcyq4xx60