PDA

View Full Version : Bob Owens, founder of Bearing Arms, left this world early today...

MSparks909
05-08-2017, 11:52 PM
This one hits kind of close to home for me. I've shot with Bob several times as he's semi-local to me. Was always cheerful when I saw and talked to him. He passed away this morning around 11 AM from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Just goes to show that even when people might seem like they're doing fine on the outside, that's not always the case...just wow.

Godspeed Bob

JHC
05-09-2017, 07:26 AM
Sorry to hear that. RIP.

Chance
05-09-2017, 08:18 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Thoughts with his family.

Webb297
05-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Damn. I have been following his writing since 2004 on his blog ConfederateYankee. RIP.

Tamara
05-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Bob was good people and his star was still on the ascent. He will really be missed.

Soggy
05-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Really terrible news. More info:http://ace.mu.nu/archives/369671.php

The important part:
If anyone reading this finds themselves in a place where suicide seems like a logical and rational option, please, just reach out. Reach out to a friend of family member. Post here, (forum members) are a wonderful group of people, and there are members of this community who won't think twice about flying across the country if that's what it takes. If you don't feel comfortable speaking to people you know, even virtual people, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 800-273-8255. I won't pretend that I know what crippling depression is like, I have been very fortunate in that respect, but there are people who do, and they want to help you. Please. Just....reach out. There will be someone there to grab your outstretched hand, I promise.

SeriousStudent
05-09-2017, 06:46 PM
I am very sorry to read this. My thoughts are with his family and friends, I hope they find comfort.

11B10
05-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Really terrible news. More info:http://ace.mu.nu/archives/369671.php

The important part:
If anyone reading this finds themselves in a place where suicide seems like a logical and rational option, please, just reach out. Reach out to a friend of family member. Post here, (forum members) are a wonderful group of people, and there are members of this community who won't think twice about flying across the country if that's what it takes. If you don't feel comfortable speaking to people you know, even virtual people, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 800-273-8255. I won't pretend that I know what crippling depression is like, I have been very fortunate in that respect, but there are people who do, and they want to help you. Please. Just....reach out. There will be someone there to grab your outstretched hand, I promise.

I know this subject all too well and couldn't say what needs to be said any better than soggy did ^^^^^.

Soggy
05-09-2017, 10:34 PM
I know this subject all too well and couldn't say what needs to be said any better than soggy did ^^^^^.

11B10: just to be clear- the quote is from the article I linked. I also found it very well said, and thought it deserved a wider audience. Apologies if the way I phrased it didn't make that clear.

Corey
05-10-2017, 12:04 AM
Read his blog semi-regularly. Never met him or corresponded with him but I liked his writing. Definitely a tragic loss. A glimpse of how it frequently happens:
The only other thing I can say is that I know more than I want to about depression and suicide. I hope that anybody that needs help can get it.

Ed L
05-11-2017, 01:50 AM
I didn't know Bob Owens or follow his blog. I am indeed sorry for his loss.

I don't know anything about his personal situation that led him to make this choice. I don't know what type of life circumstances he was dealing with, what his mental and emotional state was, what demons he was battling, and what his chemical state of his mind was (not that I would know anything about chemical state).

I think one big issue that some firearms owners may be not consider or address is that someone who places a value on owning firearms might be reluctant to seek help on this issue because:

1. In their mind they are not serious about committing suicide and it is something that they believe that they can pull out of--until they actually do it.

2. Seeking help will probably mean that they will get their firearms confiscated or have to give them up and they will never be able to legally own them again.

3. Depending on the state and the doctor you go to and what you tell them, you may find yourself committed to a mental institution.

There are some people who have a gun or two that they might not have shot in the last ten years, so gun ownership may not be a really a big deal to them.

To other gun owners owning a gun is a means of self preservation in a worse case scenario. Other people who are heavily involved in owning them and shooting them and training with them, it is a lifestyle.

As I said, I know nothing of Bob Owens. But I judge that he was heavily into firearms and ran a major website relating to them. Given this situation, I can see him reluctant to get help or take certain measures.

This even goes for seeking help with depression or other mental and emotional issues. If some doctors find out you own firearms they may insist that you get rid of them or threaten to report you to legal authorities as a danger to yourself or others.

Some states have laws regarding this and some states like NY and I believe NJ, will ask you on your pistol license application if you ever suffered from mental illness or took medications for such. Some states have reporting requirements for certain categories of professional medical/mental health people who come in contact with patients who have firearms. I believe in California it is possible for an employer or a neighbor to report someone whom they are "worried about" and have the police confiscate their firearms. This completely bypasses due process, and I am not sure what the procedure is to recover them, but I believe it is onerous and time consuming to say the least.

Given these factors, I can see people in such locales being afraid to get help, and even being nervous about confiding in close friends for fear that they might turn them in.

Finally, we have seen attempts by government agencies to have all veterans who suffer from PTSD to be added to a list of prohibited people from owning firearms, and social security to do the same with people who get social security benefits who do not handle their own finances or something like that. This creates a climate of concern among gunowners--especially those who might fall into some of these categories or are afraid that some day they may somehow fall into these categories.

11B10
05-11-2017, 09:24 AM
11B10: just to be clear- the quote is from the article I linked. I also found it very well said, and thought it deserved a wider audience. Apologies if the way I phrased it didn't make that clear.

I would be the one who used an incorrect reference - should have referred to the message rather than you.

Drang
05-16-2017, 07:36 AM
Bob Owens' Suicide (https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2017/05/11/mens-depression-is-subtle-but-it-can-kill/)

Men's Depression Is Subtle. But It Can Kill.
This is a man's depression.

It starts subtly, covertly. It creeps in on little cat feet.

It isn't a feeling of sadness. You're irritable, irascible, short-tempered. Often, you feel unusually tired, often achy -- it feels like you have a bit of a cold, or maybe the flu. You're not hungry, or you're hungry but nothing tastes good, nothing is appealing.

You start having trouble sleeping. Either you can't get to sleep, or you get to sleep but wake up at 3 a.m., and can't get back to sleep. Either way, you lie awake, and your thoughts start going to dark places -- replaying humiliations from your past, or fantasizing trouble in your future.

Of course, now that you're missing sleep, you're even more tired, more cranky. People start to wonder what's wrong, but they don't ask because it's not the sort of thing one does; and you know something is wrong, but you don't talk about it because you've been taught since childhood that men just pull up their socks and get on with life. Besides, it's not like anyone can do anything -- you just need to gut it out. No one said you were going to be happy all the time.

Read the whole thing, and ask yourself if any of this might apply to youyourbuddyyourbrotheryourfatheryouruncleyourneig hbor...

Last paragraph:

If this sounds familiar, if you see yourself in this description, you may be depressed, and yes, you can be depressed and not realize it. This (https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/depression-quiz.htm) is a depression screener; it doesn't take long. If you're thinking those dark thoughts, the National Suicide Prevention Hotline (https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/) is there, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, at 800-273-8255. They understand, it's completely anonymous, and you don't have to be suicidal to call them. And if you're of a mind to, there is a GoFundMe for Bob Owens' wife and kids (https://www.gofundme.com/the-bob-owens-memorial-family-fund).