PDA

View Full Version : Paul Howe Is Retiring

Chance
05-08-2017, 05:51 PM
He was threatening to do so a number of years ago, but I think as the Obama years became more and more tumultuous, he felt a duty to stay around. Now that the pendulum is swinging in the other direction, he's making good on his promise (http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/published/info-letters/17/CSATUpdate_May17.pdf).

I was at my fourth CSAT class this weekend (which was an excellent course, as is everything Paul puts his mind into), and that was the main thread of questions he fielded. "Semi-retirement" is probably the better term. He doesn't want to get out of the business completely, but the volume of courses he has to teach in order to keep the facility in the green, along with the overhead of just keeping the grass mowed and other menial tasks, is more than he's prepared to do.

The bottom line is that CSAT, as a facility, is going to be sold. Based on the nature of the sale, Paul's considering a number of options. If whoever purchases the facility chooses to turn it into a regional training center, Paul's prepared to stay on as a consultant, or even to periodically lease the land back to continue teaching. If that's not a tenable option, he may hit the road every once in a while to teach when/where he wants to. He's also considering setting up his own website and periodically publishing his own videos that address things from both a student's, and an instructor's, perspective (he had planned to make an instructor series of videos before Fuckwad Fernando (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21239-Panteao-Hasn-t-Paid-Paul-Howe) screwed him over).

Most interesting to me was that Paul was loosely throwing around the idea of trying to establish some sort of standard in the training industry. Probably not something as elaborate as a "Tactical Trainer's Association," but maybe something as simple as Paul training with other instructors out of his own pocket, and then doing a no-nonsense, podcast-style review of the course. I don't know about y'all, but I would happily chip in $10 a month to listen to that.

So I'm really happy that Paul is moving on to do what makes him happy. But this is a major loss for the for-real folks: Paul teaching his curriculum at his facility is about the best training a civilian could hope for. Just this weekend, Paul put on a long-distance pistol course that would have been difficult to teach anywhere else. If you want to train with him, hurry: I already reserved a spot in his October instructor class, because it might be the last one he ever teaches.

Rex G
05-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I had hoped to finally train at CSAT in 2018. I do not know if I can hope to make any serious training fit into 2017.

Paul Howe can really shoot a pistol at long range, and that is what I most wanted to learn from him, as I switch "primary" to the left hand, due to age/wear/tear affecting my right hand.

Chance
05-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Paul Howe can really shoot a pistol at long range, and that is what I most wanted to learn from him, as I switch "primary" to the left hand, due to age/wear/tear affecting my right hand.

You missed out this weekend, dude. I thought about writing an AAR, but given it's almost certainly a one-off class, I didn't really see the point.

I had a "golf ball through a garden hose"-caliber performance, but I learned a ton. A pistol is an effective tool at ranges far beyond what most folks would imagine.

MVS
05-08-2017, 07:46 PM
You missed out this weekend, dude. I thought about writing an AAR, but given it's almost certainly a one-off class, I didn't really see the point.

I had a "golf ball through a garden hose"-caliber performance, but I learned a ton. A pistol is an effective tool at ranges far beyond what most folks would imagine.

I would sat all the more reason to do an AAR.:D

43Under
05-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Saw this in his newsletter last week. When he was hinting at retirement and sale of CSAT a few years ago, I busted my ass down there and took two courses with him even though at that point I was pushing envelope in terms of my skill level. The guy is a beast (in a good way) and I'm glad he gets to enjoy life after all he's done for country as well as people like me. I still communicate with him at least intermittently and so will have to wish him well.

El Cid
05-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Damn. Time to juggle my plans. Thanks for the intel.

Suvorov
05-08-2017, 08:57 PM
Paul is a true Patriot and like you say - has been honor bound to prepare as many as he can for the storm clouds on the horizon. He deserves his retirement. I envy you being able to take as many classes from him as you have as I was only able to take one. Paul is the embodiment of the quite professional in an industry that is often "bigger than reality" and the fact that he expanded his courses to be particularly relevant to civilians and non-SWAT police officers as opposed to "train like Seal Team Six for a weekend" style courses speaks volumes. Add to my list of regrets not being able to take his pistol instructor course. Maybe I can still pull it off this year but it might take divine intervention. I wish him well!

vaspence
05-08-2017, 09:31 PM
As stated herein, Paul is an all around good guy and excellent instructor. I took his pistol instructor course in 2009 and it was one of the best training experiences I've ever had. Thanks for the heads up!

ldunnmobile
05-08-2017, 10:09 PM
So if one has never been to CSAT and only has time for one class what would it be?

43Under
05-08-2017, 10:44 PM
So if one has never been to CSAT and only has time for one class what would it be?

My feeling was that I can learn pure marksmanship from a lot of different people, so I took two of his "tactics" courses: Advanced Individual Tactics (basically his low light course) and his Urban Defense Course. AAR for both can be found on my blog:

Https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com

If you take a 3 or longer day class, you get to stay in the barracks for free.

Odin Bravo One
05-08-2017, 11:32 PM
As a mentor, there are few in the same league. I hope he finds happiness in his future endeavors.

warpedcamshaft
05-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Always enjoyed Paul's very practical and down to earth approach. I've read his newsletter for years, and attended a CSAT Pistol Operator class in Nacogdoches years back.

Sad to see him step away, but he's been at it long and hard for longer than most. Hell of a shooter as well... like... freaky good.

Chance
08-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Well, Paul is still in the building for the time being (http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/calendar.htm). His July newsletter stated:

My goal is to slowly extract from the business. While you see a lead instructor running classes, I will be there to ensure they have a smooth class or have any questions. As I tell them, you cannot have a bad class. If I were to see things going wrong, I would quietly step in and take admin control to ensure students have an exceptional class. This is where we excel in the profession as we believe in training and mentoring students to the highest level possible. We do not sell widgets or pimp out gadgets. We help develop professionals in both LE, Government and Civilian world.

Finally, I still like shooting, doing CQB, Fire and Maneuver, etc. This will give me an opportunity to get some trigger time and shoot with students and maintain my skills. I will drift out of class here and there to hit the gym, but that is one of the perks of my business. I do not want to end up as one of those old guys in a bar, on a barstool talking shit to one another about what we “used” to do. I will be posting a 2018 schedule shortly. If you have a group that wants/needs a particular class, let me know. We can make things happen.

I'm really glad to hear this, as I was intending to go to his instructor course in October, but some financial issues will preclude me from attending. If you've been wanting to train at CSAT, don't wait!