PDA

View Full Version : The "Beater pistol" project: 1911 edition

Gadfly
05-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Sooo, sometimes you buy something you know you are going to regret. But sometimes, there is an itch to scratch, and price point to low to ignore, and the stars all line up.... that happened this weekend.

A beat to shit, Turkish Zig 1911 9mm was siting in my LGS case for at least 6 months. No one had even looked at it. We had joked about what a turd of a pistol it was. And how no one had ever uttered the phrase "fine Turkish Craftsmanship"... and yet... i own several nice 1911s. All in .45... never owned a 9mm 1911. Soooo, I threw out a number so low he could not say yes. And he did say yes. And now I own this beater/Turkish/turd 1911.

So, the goal is to have a play toy beater pistol, that I can get running well, without putting any real money into it. So I will be hitting up friends to raid their parts boxes to see if I can polish this turd into a decent pistol. As cheap as humanly possible. I figure my only big expense will be to mill it for some Novaks since I can't find GI cut sights I like.

Thoughts? Have I tumbled down a rabbit hole of derp and stupid? Beating a dead horse? Will fun turn into wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Cleaning has begun. Pics are how I got it. I will see how much I can clean up. Only fired about 25 rounds. But it was surprisingly accurate for what it is. 15 round in about 1.5" at 10 yards.

I will still be carrying a Glock daily.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170508/be644200165192f7b06c213c95923c51.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170508/728256fcd5ad83123e78e6ecd420a66e.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170508/bae58c56d9fc0817373e7ff1e138d6e8.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170508/cc810107ab2cb1a2d275a22f08ce1a28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drang
05-08-2017, 02:28 PM
What'd they do, tie 550 cord on the trigger guard and tow it down a gravel road behind a deuce and a half?

Gadfly
05-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Looks like... but the internals look damn near unfired. Like most pistols...

May buff it and do a Krylon paint job. This is going to be on the cheap....

JHC
05-08-2017, 02:42 PM
I think it's a great idea. I have a RIA GI .45 I got for this sort of thing. Inspired by an idea I saw on 1911addicts, I got some Scotchbrite polishing pads and "antiqued" it to look 50 years carried in a loose leather flap holster. Then I got a set of unfinished maple grips off Amazon for $8.00. I found that a pinch of red Georgia clay added to a clear lacquer gave it almost an aged ivory look.

I haven't decided what to do with it next. It's actually a pretty decent shooter considering the sights on it.

StraitR
05-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Have you looked at the Harrison rear USGI sight (https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/hd-003-retro-rear-sight)?

Does it function as is?

Gadfly
05-08-2017, 03:20 PM
Yes, it functions as is. With 25 "flawless" round through it. Mostly cosmetic and rust issues. And the fact it's Turkish, so it may be made of Zinc for all I know.

The Harrison sight is interesting. I like the rear, but would want a stake on Fiber Optic front. Matching up the height I need may be an issue.... any front fiber suggestions to match with that rear?

Wondering Beard
05-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Yes, it functions as is. With 25 "flawless" round through it. Mostly cosmetic and rust issues. And the fact it's Turkish, so it may be made of Zinc for all I know.

The Harrison sight is interesting. I like the rear, but would want a stake on Fiber Optic front. Matching up the height I need may be an issue.... any front fiber suggestions to match with that rear?

Try your luck with the Harrison Front sights? https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/front-sights

Maybe send him an email explaining what you're trying to do.

Jim Watson
05-08-2017, 06:19 PM
Dawson has GI rear, stake on front F.O.
https://dawsonprecision.com/1911-stake-on-sights/
https://dawsonprecision.com/colt-1911-mil-spec-black-carry-rear-sights/

If you order a set, they guarantee "perfect impact."
Have to be sure Tisas is a faithful copy of Colt.

Robinson
05-09-2017, 07:52 AM
Dawson has GI rear, stake on front F.O.
https://dawsonprecision.com/1911-stake-on-sights/
https://dawsonprecision.com/colt-1911-mil-spec-black-carry-rear-sights/

If you order a set, they guarantee "perfect impact."
Have to be sure Tisas is a faithful copy of Colt.

I wonder how they can guarantee "perfect impact" with fixed sights on a gun they've never seen. Plus not everyone uses the same sight picture. Might be worth looking into though!

Dawson Precision (mentioned above), Fusion Firearms, Kensight, and Trijicon all make stake-on front sights for the 1911. With staked sights you will need to know what tenon you need -- the ones I have seen for sale are Colt S70, Colt S80, and Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. Note that newer Colt S70 pistols use the S80 style larger tenon.

The Harrison retro rear sight is a good part and is available with square or round notch. Getting a new set of fixed sights to shoot to POA on your gun might take some trial and error. One of the best setups I've had was a S70 with a Harrison retro rear sight and a dovetail cut for a Novak gold bead front sight.

Gadfly
05-09-2017, 08:06 AM
Yeah, the only thing that had me wanting a Novak rear cut was to add an adjustable rear. Not a huge fan of the bomar cut. And most adjustables that sit above the slide are hideous and would shred my hand in an over hand rack.

The Dawson GI/fiber may be to cost effective way to go.

Don't want to spend more than I have in the whole gun on milling and new sights! This is supposed to be my cheap ass beater gun. But useful sights are kind of non negotiable.

Robinson
05-09-2017, 08:21 AM
Yeah, the only thing that had me wanting a Novak rear cut was to add an adjustable rear. Not a huge fan of the bomar cut. And most adjustables that sit above the slide are hideous and would shred my hand in an over hand rack.

The Dawson GI/fiber may be to cost effective way to go.

Don't want to spend more than I have in the whole gun on milling and new sights! This is supposed to be my cheap ass beater gun. But useful sights are kind of non negotiable.

Any sight other than a retro style that you install in the GI dovetail is going to look somewhat, well... "different".

Having Novak slots milled into your slide would give you the most options. Note that some of Novak's adjustable rear sights have adjustments for both windage and elevation, while with other models you loosen the set screw and drift the sight to adjust windage. The main expense will be having the slide altered of course.

The Harrison retro rear with some type of bead or dot front provides a really nice sight picture. Much better than standard GI sights.

Whichever route you take, if you decide to install a staked front sight it's important that the installer knows how to do it properly. Once installed, the front sight cannot be removed without damaging it and it cannot be reinstalled.

Jim Watson
05-09-2017, 08:22 AM
Ay freaking men.
I just cannot see paying a hundred bucks to mill a slide for a fad gimmick FIXED sight. Obviously Novak has made it pay... but not from me.
I have had fixed sights in the GI dovetail from King, Wilson, and even Novak. I miss the King products, simple visible sights, a thumb safety that fits my thumb, good stout barrel bushings, etc. I do have a couple of Novak Low Mounts, but the guns came with them.

Perhaps strangely to some, I WILL pay for a cross dovetail front sight installation. I just wish the industry had agreed on one size. .300 or .330, 60 or 65, AUGH!

Read Dawson's Perfect Impact Policy here:
https://dawsonprecision.com/product_images/uploaded_images/perfect-impact-policy.jpg?t=1440019909

As to staked on front sights: "We offer several tenon widths for stake on sights. Please call us toll free, at 866-300-1911, to discuss options with one of our friendly sales staff."

I would definitely talk to staff about sights for a Turkish copy.

mmc45414
05-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Do I remember somebody makes a big post that is intended to be filed down to get to zero, with the intent of measuring it to then order what you need? Dunno, CRS these days...

HCM
05-09-2017, 09:26 AM

Dawson. They will make whatever height you need.

jandbj
05-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Brownells has the cool retro rear as wellhttp://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/1911-retro-rear-sight-prod31893.aspx.

And MGW fronts. http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/front-sights/1911-front-sight-prod8842.aspx

StraitR
05-09-2017, 11:02 AM
I miss the King products

https://images.rapgenius.com/be6df6b9b31edcb158b7f6b21f26a58c.500x333x3.gif

JHC
05-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Great stuff. Time to subscribe to this reference book.

Robinson
05-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Brownells has the cool retro rear as wellhttp://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/1911-retro-rear-sight-prod31893.aspx.

And MGW fronts. http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/front-sights/1911-front-sight-prod8842.aspx

Huh. Somehow I missed the MGW staked front sights. I have a feeling the pistol in question will require the narrow tenon, if it is even a standard slot at all.

Tamara
05-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Take off every Zig. For great justice.

Tamara
05-09-2017, 02:04 PM
If it's got the original GI spec narrow tenon (or some bastard Turkish tenon size all its own) it might be worth hogging out the hole to take newer wide tenon front sights.

Lester Polfus
05-09-2017, 02:14 PM
https://images.rapgenius.com/be6df6b9b31edcb158b7f6b21f26a58c.500x333x3.gif

WTF? Kings is gone? That's a shame.

Speaking from experience, turning a beater, off brand 1911 into something "nicer" and more functional is a great way to learn your way around these things. It can also be very frustrating and an excellent way to spend several hundred dollars turning a $200 gun into a $200 gun.

spinmove_
05-09-2017, 02:24 PM
WTF? Kings is gone? That's a shame.

Speaking from experience, turning a beater, off brand 1911 into something "nicer" and more functional is a great way to learn your way around these things. It can also be very frustrating and an excellent way to spend several hundred dollars turning a $200 gun into a $200 gun.

Yeah, but if he botches it then all he did was trash a Turkish Turd. I'd rather do that to a Tisas than a Colt. AND he'll walk away with good experience that he can put towards a nicer base pistol down the road. Tempted to do this myself someday.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Lester Polfus
05-09-2017, 02:29 PM
Yeah, but if he botches it then all he did was trash a Turkish Turd. I'd rather do that to a Tisas than a Colt. AND he'll walk away with good experience that he can put towards a nicer base pistol down the road. Tempted to do this myself someday.

Oh I agree. There's nothing wrong with doing it, you just have to make sure you're clear in your head on your reasons why. I turned a couple low rent 1911's into nicer guns in my time. For the time and money I spent, I could have just bought a nicer pistol to begin with. I knew that going in, but I valued the learning curve.

Robinson
05-09-2017, 02:38 PM
If it's got the original GI spec narrow tenon (or some bastard Turkish tenon size all its own) it might be worth hogging out the hole to take newer wide tenon front sights.

But hell if you're going to do that why not just have a Novak dovetail cut instead? Excepting if a person simply wants a staked sight to preserve the original look.

Jim Watson
05-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Or file a wide tenon to fit the Turkish Delight Tenon.
I would go with the cross dovetail for greater selection of sights, but then I have a local guy to cut it.

I think it will work out well.
Here is a guy who put some real surplus small parts on a Tisas, had it Parkerized, and came out looking very GI.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=9671106&postcount=1

Clobbersaurus
05-09-2017, 10:30 PM
I went down this road with a Chinese 1911 in 9mm a few years ago. I never could get it to run right and quickly lost interest. Best of luck with your project.

Some things to look for:

Check the extractor to see if it is a true 1911 9mm extractor. Mine was not.

Check the ejector and make sure your mags don't touch it when inserted hard during reloads, otherwise you will break the ejector. I had to dremel mine to fix it,

My gun had a lose lock up and accuracy suffered. I didn't want to get into messing with the barrel link to solve it though.

Tamara
05-10-2017, 06:41 AM
But hell if you're going to do that why not just have a Novak dovetail cut instead? Excepting if a person simply wants a staked sight to preserve the original look.

Dovetail cut is preferable, obviously, but can't be done yourself with needle files. If one is just doing it as a fun DIY project as opposed to sending it to a 'smith for custom work.

Or file a wide tenon to fit the Turkish Delight Tenon.

I was thinking he wanted night sights. They tend to get spit off if you narrow the tenon, IME.

EDITED TO ADD: My beater 1911 DIY gun...

I put in a Cylinder & Slide "Warp Speed" lockwork set, fit the thumb safety off a Para LTC and a Dlask trigger and a spare mag release that I had in my parts bin, replaced all the pins and springs, fit a new MSH... Maybe someday I'll fit a barrel, put some sights on it, and Cerakote the thing...

mmc45414
05-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Dovetail cut is preferable, obviously, but can't be done yourself with needle files.
Not like I have done it myself, but Brownells has the safe edge files specifically for cutting the angle. I bought one because I thought my Springfield was gonna need to be changed from 60 degree to 65 degree on the front but when I changed the sights the gun was old enough to be 60 so I sent the file back. I believe I read that Bill Nesbitt did exactly this to put the front sight on the cool K in his avatar. Now, perhaps he has bigger stones and more skill than me, and maybe he did this when you could get another M10 for $150.

My beater 1911 DIY gun...
Maybe someday...Cerakote the thing...
I think that is crying out for Krylon!

Jim Watson
05-10-2017, 07:57 AM
I was thinking he wanted night sights. They tend to get spit off if you narrow the tenon, IME.

If he wants night sights, he should pay the rest of the freight and get a front dovetail.
The only narrowed tenon sight I have is a plain blade made out of a blank to get the height needed.

Tamara
05-10-2017, 08:25 AM
If he wants night sights, he should pay the rest of the freight and get a front dovetail.

I've had good luck with Trij's wide-tenon front on this. (And I liked the look, so there! ;) )

Jim Watson
05-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Yes, and my FLG carries a staked on night sight, too.
I have watched him install one and it is a tedious job to get it on securely and not crack the phial. I have seen - owned - dark sights that were whacked too hard.

I think your chances are better with a dovetail. But if it works, it works.

Robinson
05-10-2017, 08:31 AM
I've had good luck with Trij's wide-tenon front on this. (And I liked the look, so there! ;) )

Tamara, which height front is that and where do they hit for you? I had a set on a 1991 some time ago and they shot quite low for me. But now I see Trijicon offers different front sight heights.

I wonder if they will sell just the front sight in case the one you order doesn't shoot to POA.

Tamara
05-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Tamara, which height front is that and where do they hit for you?

The height I don't know. Someone far more competent than me installed those. (Jim's fears of vial cracking are extremely valid.) It shot to the dot for me at seven.

vcdgrips
05-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Gadfly,

PM me your snail mail and I would gladly contribute a set of OD Green tapered bottom VCD Grips for the project. I have often been tempted to buy a 1911 such as yours as a learning platform. I applaud your efforts.

I do concur with the general assessment that you can spend more than the gun is "worth" in getting it to carry/compete shape so to speak. Having said that, I strongly suspect that any successes ( and even failures) in this project will pay huge dividends going forward.

Lester Polfus
05-10-2017, 10:49 AM
The risk with doing this is that sometimes you get a frame that is so far out of spec that it is pretty much unpossible to get it to run right. People who really know what they are doing can tear one down, take all sorts of measurements with tools I vaguely recognize, and come back with a verdict in short order. The rest of us, when dealing with something like this, can go and shoot a few hundred rounds through it. If it chokes only occasionally, it's probably some thing you can buff up. If it chokes frequently, you may be able to fix it, but your odds that it is an unpolishable turd go up, imo.

Then again, it may run like a champ. I had a friend with a Norinco 1911 that ran flawlessly.

NEPAKevin
05-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Looks like... but the internals look damn near unfired. Like most pistols...

May buff it and do a Krylon paint job. This is going to be on the cheap....

Wanna talk cheap... Circa 1989, walked into a gun shop and the guy behind the counter shows me how he "refinished" his carry gun using black shoe polish. Also said it made it faster out of the holster. Winning!

Greg
05-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Wanna talk cheap... Circa 1989, walked into a gun shop and the guy behind the counter shows me how he "refinished" his carry gun using black shoe polish. Also said it made it faster out of the holster. Winning!

That's fucking stellar! :cool:

Gun Store commandos....

Tamara
05-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Gun Store commandos....

That's me! :D

Gadfly
05-10-2017, 05:57 PM
he "refinished" his carry gun using black shoe polish.

Shoe polish is expensive. I do have a couple sharpie markers laying around....

Friends at the LGS have been overtly helpful and generous so far with the Beater Pistol Project... more on that later. The talk yesterday was of refinishing. My buddy wants to spend his own money to me custom "Dale Ernhart Memorial" grips, and have "the Intimidator" stenciled on the slide. Mix some glitter in clear coat for that bass boat look. There are some awesome suggestions out there.

Also, I may have the line on someone who will cut a front dove tail and rear Novak for free! Maybe... As I said, the ideal of "polishing the turd" has turned into some long and hilarious brain storming sessions at the range.

Fired 50 rounds today. Gold Dot JHP. That's about 75 rounds total. 3 failures. All with the same mag. Slide locked back, insert mag and overhand stroke to drop the slide, round nosedives into feed ramp. Tap rack is a no go. Strip the mag, bad round drops out, re insert and rack, exact same thing. Tap rack no good. Rip, clear reinsert. Bang. It works. Second round fired stove pipes on ejection. Cleared it and ditched the mag in back pocket. Other three mags all ran fine.

Accuracy was not stellar by 1911 standards, but was decent considering the nub sights. About a 2" group at 7 yards. That opened up just a little at 15. At 25 I shanked a couple, bad. But that was me, not the gun.

I know this could turn into a money pit. That is NOT my plan. Otherwise, I would have just bought a Springy Range Officer or Ruger 1911 on the cheap and been way ahead of the game. This project is about the journey and learning a little more about the guts of a 1911...

Gadfly
05-10-2017, 06:03 PM
I

That is dead sexy. Not fancy, just sexy. Growing up in the early 80s reading my dad's gun magazines gave me a fetish for stainless frames and blue slides. So Gunsight...

Lester Polfus
05-10-2017, 06:12 PM
This project is about the journey and learning a little more about the guts of a 1911...

I did that journey and don't regret it. It's good to know how to work on things. When I switched completely to soulless plastic people poppers, the guy that bought the Springfield GI Mil Spec I customized thought he was getting the deal of the century, and is still very happy with it.

JAD
05-10-2017, 06:12 PM
Gunsite-looking pistols have the finish worn off the muzzle.

Tamara
05-10-2017, 06:30 PM
That is dead sexy. Not fancy, just sexy. Growing up in the early 80s reading my dad's gun magazines gave me a fetish for stainless frames and blue slides. So Gunsight...

That two-tone Cerakote job is a deliberate homage to the blued-slide/hard-chromed frame look of the '80s custom pistol. So Gunsite indeed, and part of the reason I went with the Trij's rather than cutting it for Novak dovetails. Under all that is a '66 Colt that was a rescue gun...

Gunsite-looking pistols have the finish worn off the muzzle.

Thanks, you're right! I should have gone for the "pre-distressed" look from Predator Customs back when that pic of the freshly-coated gun was snapped in '03 rather than letting the thing accumulate its own wear over the next fifteen years. (second from right... :p)

JAD
05-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Now that's sexy.

JAD
05-10-2017, 06:57 PM
In fact, the difference between 'pretty' and 'sexy' is a little road wear. That statement applies broadly.

Jac
05-10-2017, 07:03 PM
I have a Colt slide and Auto Ordnance frame sitting next to each other in my closet... this thread makes me realize I need to get off my ass and put 'em together.

BN
05-10-2017, 07:26 PM
I believe I read that Bill Nesbitt did exactly this to put the front sight on the cool K in his avatar. Now, perhaps he has bigger stones and more skill than me, and maybe he did this when you could get another M10 for $150.

No, no, no. :) I had a gunsmith fit the pinned sight in my avatar Revolver. Some other revolvers, I had a gunsmith cut a dovetail for a front sight. I'm not that brave. :)

Gadfly
05-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Some things that have been donated or traded for so far... not an extra penny spent!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170511/a7908d54718d35c54cd0eb3d1267b2e9.jpg

I did strip the pistol and noticed that the small pin that retains the mainspring in the mainspring housing is simply missing from the Zig factory MSH. Turkish attention to detail, quality craftsmanship.

Anyway, I have used many a 1911 mag funnel, but have not installed one. I see that I will have to bevel and flair the Zig a little to match up the the EGW magwell. My buddy at the range is going to do most of the beaver tail cut, but I want to jump in and do some of it. THIS is the mission. Try, experiment, learn... and if I Fuck it up.... Meh, it's a Zig. I recall this was a thing to do with Norinco 1911s back in the early 90s. In the end, you kept the slide, frame and barrel, and the rest of the guts were Wilson or Wd Brown.

I appreciate the input from the forum. Don't know how long this will drag out. But will keep updating.

Tam love those 1911s...

Anyone got a skeleton hammer they don't want?

mmc45414
05-10-2017, 08:57 PM
No, no, no. :) I had a gunsmith fit the pinned sight in my avatar Revolver. Some other revolvers, I had a gunsmith cut a dovetail for a front sight. I'm not that brave. :)

Damn... Just for the record, I still wanna party with Bill...

StraitR
05-10-2017, 10:44 PM
That's me! :D

Later that evening, after showing off her new uber l33t shoe polish finish... :cool:

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=413&d=1326376978

Robinson
05-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Later that evening, after showing off her new uber l33t shoe polish finish... :cool:

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=413&d=1326376978

Tamara heard Springer Pros like to run wet...

Gadfly
06-17-2017, 05:09 PM
Been out of town for a few weeks doing some family stuff. But I came home today to find VCDGrips came through as promised with some sexy OD greed slim grips! A BIG thank you to him for donating to the cause!

The pistol is off with a friend who is cutting the radius for a Wilson grip safety. Donated safety plus donated labor = no cost added, but added ergonomics.

I had to break down and buy a rounded hammer (Wilson value line), as I could not beg or trade for one. I also had to pay for some slim grip bushings and a main spring cap retaining pin (because why would Zig include one?).... So I put about $40 into the gun.

No pic of the gun as I need to go pick it up. Next up, blend in the mag well to the frame. Then decide on sites. I think I have a donated re finish on tap to finish it off! Still negotiating that....

Will keep updating as I can...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170617/712b3869edefab8a7b5b64fe45824f96.jpg

Eli
06-18-2017, 12:26 AM
A little late, considering...but why not just semi-bob the spur, to fit with the new grip safety?

Gadfly
06-19-2017, 10:59 AM
why not just semi-bob the spur, to fit with the new grip safety?

Bobbed hammer = Not sexy... I know, I know "its just a beater", but I want it look somewhat presentable. And it was only $27 for the hammer with free shipping. So not a major investment.

Eli
06-19-2017, 11:41 AM
Bobbed hammer = Not sexy...

Gonna have to agree to disagree on that one...that's one of the oddities that I've always LOVED about some of Hilton's work.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/108%202.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/108%203.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/108%201.jpg

Gadfly
06-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Those do look nice. But I think Hilton may have a bit more skill with the dremel than I do. Besides, I just like the look of the Wilson one. I would not have spent $100 on a hammer, but this was cheap enough.... (the sights will be the biggest expense probably).

The original wide spur may still get chopped for practice. Maybe...

Gadfly
07-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Beater Pistol is slowly coming together...

Wilson Beaver tail fitted by my buddy Patrick.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/ffde60f2a2ecda744f2c8f6c9e7022b5.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/4b91ba567a6f73a1eb57bb40a67d44f1.jpg

The frame was beveled in to blend with the mag well... ended up not really trying to melt the frame and mag well together, just rounded the frame enough to flow smoothly with the un modified well.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/b439cfef216a2780020a1b62721a2cc1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/00b5769dadaafa222087fbdf083ca34e.jpg

Gadfly
07-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Overall, it's looking good for what little cash is in it. Next up, new sights, then off to get test fired and re finished...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/77f8545d789b14b3912800943f0c6e9e.jpg

Gadfly
09-20-2017, 12:43 PM
Soooo, time for an update.

I finagled a free refinishing through my buddy Jeff. He has friends at IA Coatings in Houston. I requested a simple black finish for the beater.

He took it upon himself to "expand upon my request". And since he was getting me the hook up, he tops some "artistic license"... it has been out of my hands for over a month.

So, I open the box, and see exactly what I requested...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170920/2fcb18c2ef0fa77495781d2cf03a05fc.jpg

I flip it over...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170920/a3b9a31102bbae5c67995935961e0b61.jpg

Sooooo, the thought was, since it was beater pistol that was born again, its new and shinny on one side, and old and distress on the other.

The logo... a Bunny. My nickname is bunny, so the shop added a rabbit to the front.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170920/e1501e2e802cddaaae8a9d8d9473e007.jpg

I was taken aback at first, but it's growing on me, and it's a nice job on the finish, smooth and even.

It will soon be assembled. Will post more when I get it out together.

Gadfly
09-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Oh, the transition is a straight down the center split...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170920/4f77b287e5e64395231fe6277160afe0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170920/d22a4a12093356f5db9a8cdf27d58e38.jpg

spinmove_
09-20-2017, 01:06 PM
You should call it The Harvey Dent for it's Two-Faced aesthetics.

Greg
09-20-2017, 03:47 PM
How does it feel to own THE FINEST Turkish made 1911 ever created?

(That's kind of like being the best looking guy in the Physics Department)

Gadfly
09-20-2017, 04:22 PM
(That's kind of like being the best looking guy in the Physics Department)

Or like being the hottest waitress at the Waffle House...

It's a Beater pistol. A turd I polished. Still less than $350 tied up in it. But it's been fun so far.

I have to pay to get the new front sight staked on, as I don't have a staking tool. But that will be the last expense.

Greg
09-20-2017, 04:38 PM
No doubt, have fun with it.

Did you ever get the skeletonized trigger you asked about? I'll contribute.

SamAdams
09-20-2017, 04:46 PM
Soooo, time for an update.

I finagled a free refinishing through my buddy Jeff. He has friends at IA Coatings in Houston. I requested a simple black finish for the beater.

He took it upon himself to "expand upon my request". And since he was getting me the hook up, he tops some "artistic license"... it has been out of my hands for over a month.

So, I open the box, and see exactly what I requested...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170920/2fcb18c2ef0fa77495781d2cf03a05fc.jpg

I flip it over...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170920/a3b9a31102bbae5c67995935961e0b61.jpg

Sooooo, the thought was, since it was beater pistol that was born again, its new and shinny on one side, and old and distress on the other.

The logo... a Bunny. My nickname is bunny, so the shop added a rabbit to the front.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170920/e1501e2e802cddaaae8a9d8d9473e007.jpg

I was taken aback at first, but it's growing on me, and it's a nice job on the finish, smooth and even.

It will soon be assembled. Will post more when I get it out together.

Whew ! With that red stuff, thought you mighta pistol whipped someone for making fun of your gun.

Gadfly
09-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Did you ever get the skeletonized trigger you asked about? I'll contribute.

No, it's the stock turkey trigger... any donations you care to make are still able to go on!

If you decide to chip in, shoot me a PM.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erik
09-20-2017, 07:17 PM
You should call it The Harvey Dent for it's Two-Faced aesthetics.

Or just shorten it to Harvey.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/Harvey_1950_poster.jpg

Gadfly
09-21-2017, 04:02 PM
Assembled! Well, no sights installed, waiting on a staking tool...

The look is starling to grow on me. The black grip safety did not want to work for some reason. Like, at all. Borrowed a friends spare SS grip safety and the gun ran great! Surprisingly accurate for a gun with not sights.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170921/3519d9cbff934e42980bbdd38cf58c34.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170921/ad5e1f90a22bff4ce4f17346ce93a252.jpg

Gadfly
09-21-2017, 04:07 PM
Test fire. A little over 5 yards. Considering no sights, I thought I did well..

(Side note: Some of the rounds on the bottom of the target in the photo?? S&W factory rep showed up with the new mid size M&P. I was very impressed with the size and trigger. VERY. The .40 was kind of a handful, but the 9 was just the all around best M&P I have never fired... it's almost identical in size to a Glock 19. The Rep said they joked about naming it the 1.9 instead of the 2.0)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170921/8944836391ef5c2d0d2b4b6516482746.jpg

spinmove_
09-21-2017, 06:06 PM
That's pretty slick. I like the looks of it. Makes me want to go buy a used RIA to screw around with before I go and buy something nicer.

gtae07
09-21-2017, 06:32 PM
If I hadn't just bought my first shotgun...

One of these days I'd like to cruise the pawn shops and pick up some kind of beater, probably a 1911 but maybe something else, and just have fun fixing it up and painting it wacky.

Nice work!

jandbj
09-22-2017, 02:20 PM
I like it. The distressed bunny side especially!

Kyle Reese
12-25-2022, 08:11 AM
Well- I've sorta resurrected this thread to announce that I've succumbed to peer-pressure and purchased a non-railed (https://www.classicfirearms.com/sds-imports-1911db9-1911-5-duty-b9/) Tisas 9mm 1911 from Classic Arms for $339.99. For those that want it, the railed (https://www.classicfirearms.com/sds-imports-1911db9r-1911-5-duty-b9r/) version is available for $10 more.

For the price, I don't see how I can really go wrong with one of these. They'll be an exclusively hardball, low-milage pistol that won't be carried for defensive purposes and I'm not dropping any money into them except for Wilson or Ed Brown mags.

Looking forward to it arriving at my FFL and taking it to the range.

wmu12071
12-25-2022, 09:13 AM
Well- I've sorta resurrected this thread to announce that I've succumbed to peer-pressure and purchased a non-railed (https://www.classicfirearms.com/sds-imports-1911db9-1911-5-duty-b9/) Tisas 9mm 1911 from Classic Arms for $339.99. For those that want it, the railed (https://www.classicfirearms.com/sds-imports-1911db9r-1911-5-duty-b9r/) version is available for $10 more.

For the price, I don't see how I can really go wrong with one of these. They'll be an exclusively hardball, low-milage pistol that won't be carried for defensive purposes and I'm not dropping any money into them except for Wilson or Ed Brown mags.

Ok, I wanted a railed 9mm 1911 so bad when I first started shooting about 15 years ago. At that time that gun was totally non existent and now here is one that also has a trigger guard undercut for under $350 in today's crazy inflated prices. How does this magic work?

Kyle Reese
12-25-2022, 09:15 AM
Ok, I wanted a railed 9mm 1911 so bad when I first started shooting about 15 years ago. At that time that gun was totally non existent and now here is one that also has a trigger guard undercut for under $350 in today's crazy inflated prices. How does this magic work?

No idea- but maybe it’s a fulfillment of your long standing holiday wish. [emoji3]

wmu12071
12-25-2022, 11:32 AM
No idea- but maybe it’s a fulfillment of your long standing holiday wish. [emoji3]

I ended up with a 4.25" railed 9mm. My wife insisted. I keep saying I'm only shooting "serious" guns. Hopefully this one is seriously fun. If not it was seriously cheap.

willie
12-25-2022, 12:22 PM

My lgs sells these as well as other models by this maker. I've examined several very closely and am impressed with apparent quality. I never fired one, but they certainly look good.

Kyle Reese
12-25-2022, 12:23 PM
My lgs sells these as well as other models by this maker. I've examined several very closely and am impressed with apparent quality. I never fired one, but they certainly look good.

Willie, you should treat yourself. [emoji3]

willie
12-25-2022, 12:38 PM
I just might! My advice: if yours has function problems, it'll probably be an improperly fitted extractor. Also that part of the slide stop located inside the frame requires fitting, but nobody does it. 230 gr hardball's long nose can hit this when feeding. Remedy is simple. I examined their factory 1911 magazines and suggest trying a brand with known reliability. I sense this, but don't know it for certain. They can copy the 1911 better than they can make a good magazine. My opinion.

Irelander
12-25-2022, 06:09 PM
The late Bob Dunlap of AGI worked closely with Tisas to help improve their 1911 production. He said that they can turn out a very nice production 1911 now. I've been wanting to pick one up and check them out.

revchuck38
12-25-2022, 08:59 PM

If they had the same thing in .38 Super, it'd be on its way to me now. My credit card is thankful. And yes, I considered getting a 9x19 and looking for a .38 Super barrel. With my luck, it'd turn into the most expensive cheap gun I've ever bought.

JAD
12-25-2022, 10:09 PM
If they had the same thing in .38 Super, it'd be on its way to me now. My credit card is thankful. And yes, I considered getting a 9x19 and looking for a .38 Super barrel. With my luck, it'd turn into the most expensive cheap gun I've ever bought.
Whereas I ran down the damn 9x25 rathole with one in my mind. Yeesh.

TDA
12-25-2022, 11:10 PM
In my limited experience, low end 1911’s can be made to run, but low end OEM magazines cannot. Don’t waste time with nameless, vaguely Colt commercial styled 9mm mags from wherever. Skip the Kimber Aegis ones too. Wilsons work for me. Colt marked ones ought to as well.

vcdgrips
12-26-2022, 06:43 AM
KR

PM me if you would like to R/D a set of OF Green Grips.

I am off the bench thru the 1st full week of Jan 23.

Concur re cheap guns being made to work well but cheap mags being false economy.

In my limited direct but rather vast vicarious experience ( I was brought up by 4 guys who easily had 100 + 1911s amongst them and started training at Gunsite in the late 70s/early 80) the vast majority of feeding issues were most easily solved by a 230 G projectile that had an RNL/FMJ profile (even in defensive ammo), fed in a Wilson or Chip McCormick Power mag /5 inch all steel gun sprung at 16.5 to 18 lbs.

My default these days is the Wilson EDM. Simply a press of the easy button.

wmu12071
01-07-2023, 01:31 AM

Have you heard anything on you order? Mine is still in "ORDER REVIEW"

Kyle Reese
01-07-2023, 07:03 AM
Have you heard anything on you order? Mine is still in "ORDER REVIEW"

Mine arrived at my FFL on Thursday. I’d call them to see what the deal is.