PDA

View Full Version : The Prostate Biopsy Club

NH Shooter
05-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Speaking of butt hurt, anyone else a member? :(

T Smith
05-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Yeah; seven years ago. Even had an audience (a new medical assistant observing her first one.) Ah, what fond memories!:(

NH Shooter
05-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Yeah; seven years ago. Even had an audience (a new medical assistant observing her first one.) Ah, what fond memories!:(

I'm now on the once-a-year train. My PSA was 6.3 when I had my first one this past February - they found nothing.

Growing old sucks.

MistWolf
05-05-2017, 07:22 PM
It beats the alternative- that's what I keep telling myself, anyway

NH Shooter
05-05-2017, 07:27 PM
It beats the alternative- that's what I keep telling myself, anyway

True. And what the non-members don't realize is that they truly haven't lived until they join the club. :-/

MistWolf
05-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Thus far, I've been blessed with a trouble free prostate, so I haven't had any biopsies yet.

I am a member of the "Growing Old Sucks" club, but growing old beats the alternative

BobM
05-05-2017, 07:48 PM
I'm now on the once-a-year train. My PSA was 6.3 when I had my first one this past February - they found nothing.

Growing old sucks.
I'm waiting on a call to set my appointment as I'm at the same level. The doc said he wouldn't worry about it if I was 65 but thought it was too high for 52.

NH Shooter
05-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Thus far, I've been blessed with a trouble free prostate, so I haven't had any biopsies yet.

You don't know what you're missing. ;)

RoyGBiv
05-05-2017, 07:52 PM
I had the poke this week. Annual 10 seconds of joy.
Doc says I've got the prostate of a younger man.
He's a sweet talker, my Doc.

NH Shooter
05-05-2017, 07:54 PM
I'm waiting on a call to set my appointment as I'm at the same level. The doc said he wouldn't worry about it if I was 65 but thought it was too high for 52.

I'm 63 and had watched it creep up over the last five years.

The actual procedure was not as bad as I thought it would be, but take max dose of Tylenol as soon as you get home.

JohnO
05-05-2017, 07:56 PM
You don't know what you're missing. ;)

I could say the same about getting my bladder scoped. A rather interesting procedure. I was advised to take the hospital option where they sedate you. I took the Doctor's office option. In actuality it wasn't all that bad and I'm glad I did it the way I did. That nice looking nurse who prepped the area prior to the procedure was an unexpected bonus.

NH Shooter
05-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Doc says I've got the prostate of a younger man.

They say youthful prostates are wasted on the young. Hope you're still enjoying yours!

NH Shooter
05-05-2017, 08:00 PM
I was advised to take the hospital option where they sedate you.

Since I'm a wuss, I would have been all over that.

BobM
05-05-2017, 08:01 PM
I'm 63 and had watched it creep up over the last five years.

The actual procedure was not as bad as I thought it would be, but take max dose of Tylenol as soon as you get home.

Thanks. Apparently I have to be sedated. I didn't ask about post op pain. Had a wisdom tooth out last week and only used the prescription ibuprofen instead of the Percocet they also gave me

NH Shooter
05-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Geez, old guys and their prostates. LittleLebrowski is probably just shaking his head on this one.... :rolleyes:

NH Shooter
05-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Apparently I have to be sedated.

WTF????

Now I feel jipped....

HCM
05-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Geez, old guys and their prostates. LittleLebrowski is probably just shaking his head on this one.... :rolleyes:

Actually, funny you mention LL, his "Big Gay Chainsaw' thread was immediately adjacent to this one on the "what's new" list.

Paladin
05-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Been fighting prostatitis for 2 months my psa level is good but it scared the heck outta me. And the last exam was pretty brutal I thought about using the clinch pic on the doc as I felt violated. Oh ya and getting old does suck!
Rick

JTQ
05-05-2017, 09:28 PM
I've been a club member since 1999. I had biopsy #6 last month. None have been pleasant. However, either the technology has improved, or I'm getting used to them as they get easier each time. My PSA has been in the double digits for probably the last 10 years, and over 20 for the past couple. I comfort myself with the understanding that more men die with prostate cancer than from prostate cancer.

StraitR
05-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Joining this club sounds like a real pain in the ass.

JTQ
05-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Yes it is, but it's not an exclusive club. New members are invited every year, whether they want to join or not.

T Smith
05-05-2017, 10:27 PM
Ya know, after reading of all these recurring biopsies, I feel sorta lucky in a very perverse sort of way. Mine came up positive the first time and after eight weeks or so of radiation, the problem was solved. As an aside, my PSA was only something like 4.3 at 58 years old and just a bit outside the norm when I got referred to the urologist for the biopsy. Don't recall how many samples were taken, but half of them were positive. Guess I'll have a little more appreciation for my cautious family physician.

Robert Mitchum
05-06-2017, 12:19 AM
I waited till I was 60 years old .. my PSA test was less than 1.
But I was urinating 25 times a day ...enlarged prostate.
They gave me medication that was screwing with my workouts .. I started taking Prostate Advantage

This stuff works !! I am now 64 years old and have never had any more problems.

"Prostate Advantage aids in maintaining prostate gland health. Saw Palmetto helps control the enlargement of the prostate and regulate urine flow. Some people use Saw Palmetto to relieve symptoms of colds‚ sore throat‚ headache‚ and cough.
Pumpkin Seed Oil contains Phytosterol Complex‚ which potentially lowers blood cholesterol levels‚ and reduces symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate. Pumpkin Seed Oil also helps to increase urine flow‚ and relieve bladder discomfort. Some studies show that Pumpkin Seed Oil has high Zinc content‚ which is possibly important for prostate health. Prostate Advantage promotes the overall health of the prostate".

JTQ
05-06-2017, 05:52 AM
Yes it is, but it's not an exclusive club.
I had to update this erroneous statement. It is exclusively a male only club.

NH Shooter
05-06-2017, 05:56 AM
Actually, funny you mention LL, his "Big Gay Chainsaw' thread was immediately adjacent to this one on the "what's new" list.

LOL! It is sort of like having a chainsaw shoved up your exhaust pipe...

I've been a club member since 1999. I had biopsy #6 last month. None have been pleasant. However, either the technology has improved, or I'm getting used to them as they get easier each time. My PSA has been in the double digits for probably the last 10 years, and over 20 for the past couple. I comfort myself with the understanding that more men die with prostate cancer than from prostate cancer.

Truth. Raised PSA is like a Check Engine Light - it could be nothing, or something bad...

It is, but joining gives us old guys something to talk about. Doc says after procedure "refrain from sex for two weeks" while I'm trying to remember the last time that happened...

Ya know, after reading of all these recurring biopsies, I feel sorta lucky in a very perverse sort of way. Mine came up positive the first time and after eight weeks or so of radiation, the problem was solved. As an aside, my PSA was only something like 4.3 at 58 years old and just a bit outside the norm when I got referred to the urologist for the biopsy. Don't recall how many samples were taken, but half of them were positive. Guess I'll have a little more appreciation for my cautious family physician.

Amen. And congrats on catching it early!

NH Shooter
05-06-2017, 05:57 AM

Yes, it's gender discrimination. But they have their own (just as fun) clubs they can join...

Hambo
05-06-2017, 07:08 AM

Oh, they found something: $$$$$$. A doc friend of mine used to say that the wallet biopsy was the most important test to run.

NH Shooter
05-06-2017, 07:27 AM
Oh, they found something: $$$$$$. A doc friend of mine used to say that the wallet biopsy was the most important test to run.

TRUTH!!!!

I think this procedure goes for about three grand.

Dog Guy
05-06-2017, 09:36 PM
Make sure your doc is paying attention not only to the hard numbers, but to the rate of change. A fast rate of change with a number that's still within "normal limits" can be a red flag. A coworker had an aggressive prostate cancer caught in the nick of time. The doc who caught it told him it should have been spotted much earlier based on the fast changes in his PSA level even before he was considered abnormal. It's not a definitive indicator, but it should make your spidey sense tingle.

MistWolf
05-08-2017, 04:31 AM

That's not what Caitlin Jenner said

NH Shooter
05-08-2017, 05:22 AM
That's not what Caitlin Jenner said

Does anyone know if he/she still has his/her junk?

SD
05-08-2017, 01:45 PM
I believe in a recent news interview she has received to corrective surgeries to make the body and mind match as of this past January.

NH Shooter
05-08-2017, 05:47 PM
I believe in a recent news interview she has received to corrective surgeries to make the body and mind match as of this past January.

After going through all of that, I wonder what happens if there is a change of mind....

NEPAKevin
05-09-2017, 11:55 AM
After going through all of that, I wonder what happens if there is a change of mind....