PDA

View Full Version : Week 215: Three-Fifty-Seven

Mr_White
05-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Week 215: Three-Fifty-Seven

Results may be posted until June 5th, 2017.

Designed by: Chris Edwards
Range: 25 or 50 yards - see below
Target: Any full silhouette target
Par time: 3 seconds
Start position: Gun in hand, shooter in position of choice - see below
Rounds fired: 6

Comments from the designer:

Drill scenario is you have adversary at 50 yards, who is not aware of your presence (think active murderer in parking lot). Get the hit; in all reports, usually makes a difference.

This can be both a drill or a test. As a drill, you are working towards 100% hits, a minimum of 6 times-yes, it can be done with a snub/subcompact. I designed it to test the outer limits of pistolcraft...a steel silhouette is preferred, but not mandatory.

Revolvers can be cocked after the beep, from a safe ready(muzzle downrange).

As you can see from the above comments, this drill/test was designed to address taking long distance shots with a small gun, though a small gun isn't required to participate in this Drill of the Week. It is scored Pass/Fail. To Pass, you must make six consecutive hits somewhere on the silhouette, each shot under the par time.

The shooter starts with gun in hand, sightline under target, and can already be in shooting position of choice (standing, kneeling, prone, etc.)

If shooting at 50 yards: At the start signal, fire one shot under the 3-second par time. Repeat until you have fired six total rounds.

If shooting at 25 yards: At the start signal, fire two shots under the 3-second par time. Repeat until you have fired six total rounds.

Optional variation: For added challenge, start standing and at the start signal, draw from the holster and get into whatever shooting position is being used. Use a 5-second par time for this variation. All other details remain the same (one shot per string if shooting at 50 yards, two shots per string if shooting at 25 yards.)

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Handgun used
Distance (25 or 50 yards)
Shooting position used
Number of consecutive hits
Pass or Fail
Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

BobM
05-06-2017, 06:05 PM

M&P40/TLR 50 yards standing

Hit 4/6 the first attempt. 6/6 last attempt.

JHC
05-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Great drill/test. I shot the 25 yard option today. Maybe the 50 yard next week. For 2 shots in 3 sec from standing offhand

Shot it with a G26 after putting up the Man Gun.

1st attempt:
2 Alphas
3 Charlies
1 Delta

2nd attemp
2 Alphas
4 Charlies

3rd attemp
6 Alphas

MSparks909
05-07-2017, 10:32 PM
No pics but ran this at 25 and 50yd with a buddy on B/C steel. PX4 CC ran from AIWB.

All 25yd. groups were ran from the holster. Slowest time was 2.95. All hits. Ran strong hand only to mix it up and ran a 4.15 clean.
Passed the 25Y section.
Failed 50 yard section. Need more 50Y work! I like "drive the dot" but it really has limitations past 25-30Y. My front sight completely covered the B/C steel at 50.

JHC
05-08-2017, 06:35 AM
No pics but ran this at 25 and 50yd with a buddy on B/C steel. PX4 CC ran from AIWB.

All 25yd. groups were ran from the holster. Slowest time was 2.95. All hits. Ran strong hand only to mix it up and ran a 4.15 clean.
Passed the 25Y section.
Failed 50 yard section. Need more 50Y work! I like "drive the dot" but it really has limitations past 25-30Y. My front sight completely covered the B/C steel at 50.

The 25 yard option was convenient for me yesterday but there is no handicap like doubling the distance out to 50. Geometry is a cruel mistress.

I must give the 50 a go next weekend. I'm not sure what to expect with a G26 or 43 that far with that par time. Will probably run it with a big gun too.

Another observation: Chris Edwards's comment about if ya got a revolver and can cock it single action, do so if you want.

I love that. That's why I like that single action mechanism and the hammer on a wheelie. Sure there are crackerjack double action shooters that can match that but still. What if you ain't one of them? Single action sniping with a wheelie shouldn't be judged differently than with a TDA in single action mode or single action only pistol.

MSparks909
05-08-2017, 06:55 AM
The 25 yard option was convenient for me yesterday but there is no handicap like doubling the distance out to 50. Geometry is a cruel mistress.

I must give the 50 a go next weekend. I'm not sure what to expect with a G26 or 43 that far with that par time. Will probably run it with a big gun too.

Another observation: Chris Edwards's comment about if ya got a revolver and can cock it single action, do so if you want.

I love that. That's why I like that single action mechanism and the hammer on a wheelie. Sure there are crackerjack double action shooters that can match that but still. What if you ain't one of them? Single action sniping with a wheelie shouldn't be judged differently than with a TDA in single action mode or single action only pistol.

What's interesting is I made more hits at 50 in DA than in SA. I'm getting a little "herk-a-jerk" with the trigger in SA. And my PX4 has a bobbed hammer sooooo once I decock after loading I have no choice but to do a DA first shot!

LittleLebowski
05-12-2017, 11:55 AM
My 25 yard targets. I cannot use a timer at my indoor range and these are the only targets I had.

martin_j001
05-12-2017, 06:24 PM
Got a chance to run this today while at the range.

Gen 4 Glock 34
25yds
standing
Used an IDPA target
pass

Definitely a drill I will keep doing. I shot it standing, from low ready, and had plenty of time for the two shots, and could have slowed things down a touch more--whether that would have increased the accuracy is another question though. As one can tell from my target, I definitely suffered from from some pulling left this outing...my lack of dry firing this past week definitely seemed to make a difference.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/f96020a3f6b4c1ca9382dba30b6338d8.jpg

SsevenN
05-13-2017, 06:46 PM
Handgun used P30L LEM
Distance (25 or 50 yards) Both
Shooting position used Standing
Number of consecutive hits 6/6
Pass or Fail Pass/Pass
Anything you noticed I started this from concealment AIWB, It's a fun drill

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/SsevenN_photo/Three%20Fifty%20Seven%205-13-17_zps8vykxcjv.jpg

WobblyPossum
05-13-2017, 07:40 PM
I ran this for a total of 24 rounds today. Handgun used Beretta PX4CC
Distance 25
Shooting position used Standing from low ready
Pass or Fail Pass
Anything you noticed from the low ready, I was getting done sub 2 seconds.

Handgun used Beretta PX4CC
Distance 25
Shooting position used Standing from concealed AIWB
Number of consecutive hits 1. I missed the target on the second shot of all three strings
Pass or Fail Fail
Anything you noticed I think I let knowing I don't have the fastest draw get in my head. I rushed too much

Handgun used Beretta PX4CC
Distance 25
Shooting position used Standing from concealed AIWB
Number of consecutive hits 12/12
Pass or Fail Pass
Anything you noticed once I got out of my own head and realized I was able to make both shots with a little time to spare, I was able to get into a rhythm and stayed on the silhouette without issues. I did have more D zone hits than I liked but I've never fired at 25y with any kind of time pressure faster than ~5 seconds/round. Pushing speed was new to me. I decided to stop at 6 strings of fire because I wanted to run another drill but I think I could have kept going without missing the target for a while.

I think I'll try this at 50y next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHC
05-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Today I got onto our bullseye range to use the 50 yard distance. Shot a few guns. IPSC silo

LB Operator
4 Alphas
2 Charlies
Pass

Gen 4 G22
4 Alphas
1 Charlie
1 MISS
FAIL

G43
3 Alphas
1 Charlie
1 Delta
1 MISS
FAIL

50 yards changes everything.

EDIT: Shout out to Luke. I shot wearing my Varilux Physio progressive lens glasses instead of my monovision contacts. The target was in razor sharp focus; sights out of focus. It worked pretty well.

That Guy
05-14-2017, 02:13 PM
I shot this twice - once cocking into SA, once firing DA.
Gun used was a Beretta PX4
Distance was 50 yards.
I shot from kneeling.

First try:

Hits: 3 out of 6
Score: EPIC FAIL
Observations: Turns out that the ammo I was using hits really, really low at this range. Also, it turns out trying to thumb-cock the gun under a time limit is a good way to mess up your shot. My brain kept screaming "hammer!" and my thumb kept going for the decock lever... I kept dithering about while my brain tries to sort itself out, and then I yanked off a shot somewhere towards the general direction of the target because I thought I'm running out of time. Not a recipe for success.

Second try:

Hits: 6/6
Score: Pass
Observations: It was much simpler to simply fire the gun double action, rather than break the grip, cock the hammer, reacquire grip, aim, fire. I also aimed much higher. I wasn't sure quite how much higher I should aim, so there's still some vertical stringing. But a definite improvement!

DG12
05-15-2017, 07:36 PM
Handgun used G19 Gen4
Distance (25 or 50 yards) 25 yards
Shooting position used Concealed button down shirt, 3 O Clock OWB
Pass or Fail Pass
Anything you noticed Times: 2.80, 2.93, 2.86. Fun drill and thanks for posting it.

LOKNLOD
05-26-2017, 02:52 PM
I did one!!!!

Week 215: Three-Fifty-Seven

Handgun used P320 full size, Hack sights
Distance (25 or 50 yards). 25 (max on range)
Shooting position used from high ready
Number of consecutive hits well they all hit paper...
Pass or Fail
Anything you noticed

25 yard limitation on the indoor range. I didn't have a silhouette type target so this was on a large bullseye. Light colored target in the indoor lighting made it very visually challenging for me. This would have been a lot better suited for outdoors on a steel.

I shot it twice. First time (top target):
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170526/03cfb217c3178077c2ce0692d48c2ca8.jpg
The consistency of the top and bottom strings is interesting. I wish I could say if I were yanking the first or second shot low with certainty.

After taping, the 2nd pass was better but still a pretty wide grouping.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170526/01cdf493ce049437955c613da79c1627.jpg

Good drill. I'll have to try it on steel with a draw when I get to the real range.

EricM
05-28-2017, 11:43 PM
Shot this cold, carry guns with Gold Dots.

Glock 42, 25 yards, shot standing from low ready (2.36, 2.30, 2.14), 4A 1C 1D, pass.
http://icedesigns.com/echo0603/pf/052817/3.jpg

Glock 26, 25 yards, shot standing from AIWB under polo (3.24, 3.08, 3.00), 2A 3C 1M, fail. Really frustrated about that miss because I have no idea where it went. 100% on me because I wasn't paying attention.
http://icedesigns.com/echo0603/pf/052817/4.jpg

Glock 26, 25 yards, shot standing from AIWB under polo (4.52, 3.87, 3.85), 6A, pass. Made damn sure to get my hits and not rush it.
http://icedesigns.com/echo0603/pf/052817/5.jpg

This drill made me realize I need to work more with my 26 from the holster. While I carry it with the same holster and in the same position as when training with my 17, drawing a 26 is not the same as drawing a 17. Especially with a flat baseplate. Only fumbled it badly once, but each time I had to adjust my grip during the presentation. Not good. My long term plan has always been to cut down one of my 17s to be my primary carry, but until I get off my ass and get that done, I need to work more with what I'm actually carrying.

The Quiet One
05-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Thank you to Mr. White and Chris Edwards for this DOTW!

We shot this with full size M&Ps (4.25") at 50 yds on a steel silhouette (10"x20") with 115 Blazer Brass. All shots were well under par time.

Low Ready: Hers 3/6. His 5/6. Fail.

Holstered: Hers 2/6. His 6/6.

We shot some more at 50 yds after the above. It went better, I am in trouble now as my Wife stated, "You need to get us some ammo that isn't effected by the timer!" Ha ha.

Mr_White
06-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Fun, quick test! I shot it a bunch of times

Cold run

Gen3 G34
USPSA Metric target
25 yards (2 shots/3 seconds)
Standing, freestyle, unsupported, threat/contact ready
6/6 (5A1C)
PASS

Warmed up runs

Gen3 G34
USPSA Metric target
Standing, freestyle, unsupported, concealed in a Keeper under a polo shirt
6/6 (4A1B1C)
PASS

Gen3 G34
USPSA Metric target
6/6 (5A1C)
PASS

Gen3 G34
USPSA Metric target/HEAD ONLY
5/6 (3A2B1M)
FAIL

Gen3 G34
6/6 (3A3B)
PASS

Gen3 G34
6/6 (6B)
PASS

Gen3 G34
5/6 (5B1M)
FAIL

G43
USPSA Metric target
6/6 (4A2C)
PASS

G43
USPSA Metric target
6/6 (4A2C)
PASS

Thanks you for this great contribution to the Drill of the Week, Chris!