PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Campus Carry signed by Governor

ranger
05-05-2017, 09:21 AM
http://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-governor-signs-campus-gun-measure/f02kSvtstlOhpUhniiyxxO/

The Governor signed the "Campus Carry Bill" - we were watching to see if he would sign, veto, or if we would do nothing and let it just become law without his signature.

hufnagel
05-05-2017, 09:49 AM
So, is the bill a good bill? or a Feel Good bill?

ranger
05-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Depends on who you ask - allows carry on most sites on campus - some restrictions such as cannot carry around child care centers on campus. I suggest it is much more a good news story than and a feel good story.

critter
05-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Depends on who you ask - allows carry on most sites on campus - some restrictions such as cannot carry around child care centers on campus. I suggest it is much more a good news story than and a feel good story.

I agree. Not perfect, but it's a decent bill. I'd suggest they arm the kids and let Darwin sort out the next generation. But hey, I'll take what we can get.

DG12
05-05-2017, 12:37 PM
I agree. Not perfect, but it's a decent bill. I'd suggest they arm the kids and let Darwin sort out the next generation. But hey, I'll take what we can get.

This.

If nothing else it's always fun watching the liberal's heads explode.

With all that being said, Deal is a spineless craven in my book for not signing the first one that came around (among other things).

Zincwarrior
05-05-2017, 12:50 PM
I am sure there will be blood running in the streets from the CHLers blasting people left and right. Hey, thats what they said would happen in Texas.

blues
05-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Wait...there's colleges in Georgia?

(I kid, I kid. I've spent many a day and night in Georgia over the years and pretty much all of 'em good ones.)

Robinson
05-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Wait...there's colleges in Georgia?

Hey I'm offended! Wait... no, actually I'm not. Carry on.

GardoneVT
05-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Does the bill pre-empt colleges from banning guns on their own authority?

If not, it won't matter on the ground for the students and staff. Nice though it is for the state to support carry on colleges, it'll amount to naught if carrying on campus equates to dismissal or expulsion.

HCountyGuy
05-05-2017, 02:59 PM
It's an okay bill, but has some serious stupid provisions. Such as being restricted from carrying in a dual-enrollment class (class where high school students also attend).

It's better than nothing for sure, and sets us up to get more in the future.

And Georgia has overall state pre-emotion on firearms laws, so the colleges are going to have to deal.

RoyGBiv
05-05-2017, 03:03 PM
How is a college student supposed to know whether one of their classmates is a dual enrollment student?

ranger
05-05-2017, 03:18 PM
The Governor would not sign a similar bill last year due to the child care and high school kids in class, etc. The legislature modified the bill to meet the Governors concerns from last year. An 85% solution now is better than a 100% solution never. We need to get all the pro-gun bills we can before GA goes "Purple" as Atlanta is a magnet for immigration from non-gun-friendly states (yes - I am a native of Georgia).

littlejerry
05-05-2017, 05:01 PM
The Governor would not sign a similar bill last year due to the child care and high school kids in class, etc. The legislature modified the bill to meet the Governors concerns from last year. An 85% solution now is better than a 100% solution never. We need to get all the pro-gun bills we can before GA goes "Purple" as Atlanta is a magnet for immigration from non-gun-friendly states (yes - I am a native of Georgia).

Agree it's a good step. I was writing my congressman 10 years ago for a similar bill while studying at Ga Tech. Wish it had passed back then.

Typical blood in the street response from triggered students/professors/board of regents.

Robinson
05-05-2017, 10:39 PM

There's Georgia, then there's Atlanta.

HCountyGuy
05-06-2017, 06:19 AM

Ever see that episode of Futurama with the Lost City of Atlanta? We've considered it to cut the cancer from the state. That's what the road breakages of late have been about - prep work.

ranger
05-06-2017, 08:55 AM

Yes, I was born and raised in Savannah. Returned and worked there after Active Duty. Career took me to middle GA also. Career now has me in Atlanta (but live way NW). Look at a population map of GA by county; "Atlanta" - the whole sprawl of it - dominates the state. The other areas with significant population centers are Macon, Albany, Augusta, and Savannah if that makes you feel better.

Robinson
05-06-2017, 09:04 AM
I live in a nice community about 24 miles NE of the city. I used to drive to the Perimeter area for work and the commute sucked both ways. We don't visit Atlanta unless out of necessity.

Savannah is still a fun town.

Drang
05-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Ever see that episode of Futurama with the Lost City of Atlanta? We've considered it to cut the cancer from the state. That's what the road breakages of late have been about - prep work.

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Separate Seattle from King County? Proposed bill could eventually make it happen | KREM.com (http://www.krem.com/news/local/seattle/separate-seattle-from-king-county-proposed-bill-could-eventually-make-it-happen/434152815)
Should Seattle be split off from the rest of King County? | KUOW Seattle (http://usflash.org/seattle/2017/04/30/216630-should-seattle-be-split-off-from-the-rest-of-king-countykuow.html)

jlw
05-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Here is a piece that I wrote on the law:

link (https://chiefweems.wordpress.com/2017/05/08/campus-carry-what-you-need-to-know/)