PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Pistol-forum, such a friendly place. Almost like Austin.

LostDuke
05-04-2017, 05:24 PM
The other day I saw a post about the city I live in, Austin Texas.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25521-Austin-Texas-Rapidly-Declining-into-Craphole-City

It was written by an intelligent person who has lived there, knows the city and has strong opinions about it. I tried my best to offer my dissent, documenting my reasoning but most importantly striving to do so in a polite fashion and in good spirit.

When I came back to the thread, I saw it disappear in flames, soon to be shut down. I stared at it in disbelief, after all nobody else but OP and me seemed to live or have lived there, and even then, what could the big deal possibly be?

As I wondered, I looked at the counter for PFestivus at the top of the page, looming as it has been for weeks now (it's at 132 days now).

The message I read is: Soon. Soon you can vituperate insult berate everybody you feel like for whatever reason, be it what they wrote on a gun or a city or whatever.

I don't get a fun comedic feeling when I look at that counter, not with the tone that way too many discussions assume and maintain. I get a sense of a place where moderation is not the law of the land, be it self or mandated. Latest example I read:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25559-7-bounty-hunters-chase-wrong-car-amp-kill-innocent-man

I don't remember things being so tense in the past, and certainly NOT when Todd Green was managing this forum. Is this the way forward? Is this the fun now? Why not maintain that counter 24/7, increase the frequency of the gladiatorial games, or even open a PFestivus sub-forum where one can go when he feels like hurling shit like a baboon?

Instead, I maintain that the forum is becoming too contentious and oftentimes toxic, that this noxious PFevent is not beneficial, and that this forum would serve Todd's memory a lot better by being civil, insult free and respectful of other people at all times. More heavily moderated also if needs be.

So my wish is that welcome to the Forum will mean that this will return to be a place where students and teachers of the pistol converse in a polite way, particularly when they disagree on this or that, and where festivities will be celebrated sans hurling.

_______

Full disclosure, because I don't stand on a high horse: I have participated in last year's PFestivus for the first and last time and I regret having done it. Oh, the fun of being the fearless warrior hurling stones at others hoping than none would come my way. You wronged me, and here is righteous me in all his might. Sad, actually. My sincere apologies to those I have offended. In particular to VoodooMan and GardoneVT, the two I remember. I don't agree with basically anything that VM writes, it's uncanny really. I don't dig the tone in almost anything GVT says, but I don't know you and I have no right to insult you personally protected by anonymity.

Jared
05-04-2017, 06:59 PM
PF has always had some pretty intense discussions, at least as long as I can remember. It seems to run in cycles and eventually tapers out until the next round. One of the best threads I ever read on here was a debate between DaggaBoy and Mr_White a few years ago.

I've basically got a rule: "it's just the internet, if you're blood pressure is going up, it may be time to log off for a while"

Sometimes the best escape from gun forum shenanigans is to go shooting.

LittleLebowski
05-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Todd was at the heart of many contentious arguments here and elsewhere. He was well known for it.

critter
05-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Good arguments can be made for a pressure release valve. Shooting, with a few notable exceptions, is mostly a male dominated activity. Guys tend to square off over guy shit, and stupid shit. It's kinda what we do when left to do what we do. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that. Diamonds are not created in a sea of cotton candy. Good information often filters and rises to the top in a similar fashion.

I'm far too new here to remember the old days, but this forum is like an island of big-eyed baby seals compared to the animosity I've witnessed in other places. Not justifying animosity here, but we're sometimes Bonobos and fuck our way out of problems, but most of the time, we're closer to the Chimps.

TheNewbie
05-04-2017, 07:20 PM
I thought PF was more tame than ever, which is actually kind of disappointing. The fact that even the biggest goofs who have been here were more coherent than many of the mainstream members of other forums speaks highly of PF. It's not that we are better people or more elite, just that the atmosphere here promotes a different type of interaction.

For a while I was worried festivus would be beyond dull, but I think there might be a decent amount of good posts in it now!

LittleLebowski
05-04-2017, 07:22 PM
I thought PF was more tame than ever, which is actually kind of disappointing. The fact that even the biggest goofs who have been here were more coherent than many of the mainstream members of other forums speaks highly of PF. It's not that we are better people or more elite, just that the atmosphere here promotes a different type of interaction.

For a while I was worried festivus would be beyond dull, but I think there might be a decent amount of good posts in it now!

Ever see that SouthPark where Cartman teams up with Wendy for a debate? Remember the part where they talked about how the debates were always VoodooMan Cartman versus Everybody? :D

StraitR
05-04-2017, 07:24 PM
So you're butthurt and you think people online are mean. Yup, Austin. I didn't have anything to bitch about this PFestivus, until now.

LostDuke
05-04-2017, 07:58 PM
So you're butthurt and you think people online are mean. Yup, Austin. I didn't have anything to bitch about this PFestivus, until now.

I think butthurt is when somebody says something bad about you, that was not the case at all. It was OP who took issue with something that was said and asked for the thread to be closed.

My butt was safe and sound. Since you mentioned it, I highly recommend this (https://www.amazon.com/Astor-Non-Electric-Mechanical-Attachment-CB-1000/dp/B003TPGPUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493945823&sr=8-1&keywords=japanese+bidet). Best $25 you will spend to never be butthurt again, seriously.

Enjoy the hurling, I won't see you there though.

voodoo_man
05-04-2017, 07:58 PM
I enjoy being the punching bag on here, you know the guy everyone can be like "and vdm...yeah he's an asshole!!"

That's fine and all, yet not a single person on here has once said it to my face. But it's the internet after all, right? Easy to let words go without thinking much.

Just for kicks I might sit pfest out because allowing the lot of mature adults to devolve into a thread tantamount to purge sequel is not productive in any way.

People need to think more and talk less.

LittleLebowski
05-04-2017, 07:59 PM
I enjoy being the punching bag on here, you know the guy everyone can be like "and vdm...yeah he's an asshole!!"

That's fine and all, yet not a single person on here has once said it to my face. But it's the internet after all, right? Easy to let words go without thinking much.

Just for kicks I might sit pfest out because allowing the lot of mature adults to devolve into a thread tantamount to purge sequel is not productive in any way.

Sending you a text.

blues
05-04-2017, 08:08 PM

Physician, heal thyself.

physician, heal thyself

proverb
before attempting to correct others, make sure that you aren't guilty of the same faults.

TheNewbie
05-04-2017, 08:14 PM
My partner at work and I just had a debate over who got first dibs on the restroom after Mexican food.

I've never really started a thread drift so I thought I would give it a try.

blues
05-04-2017, 08:16 PM
My partner at work and I just had a debate over who got first dibs on the restroom after Mexican food.

I've never really started a thread drift so I thought I would give it a try.

Gives new meaning to "tortilla soup"...

voodoo_man
05-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Physician, heal thyself.

Why do you even read what I post and not have me on ignore?

You have proven very well that you cannot have a normal conversation without slinging insults.

In fact I won't be responding to you anymore. My time would be better spent smashing my face against a wall.

TheNewbie
05-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Gives new meaning to "tortilla soup"...

We reached a compromise. In turn for me not screwing with him while he is in there , he would use a different bathroom. I may or may not have thrown tennis balls at him in the past.....

blues
05-04-2017, 08:22 PM

You have proven very well that you cannot have a normal conversation without slinging insults.

In fact I won't be responding to you anymore. My time would be better spent smashing my face against a wall.

I did have you on ignore but it seemed so artificial and pointless. But it's not an insult. It's an observation.

You seem to feel that it's your place to incessantly tell others they are wrong, they need to think more, post less, and never, ever, (that I can recall), have you ever admitted being wrong or uninformed on any given topic.

So, my point is simply that if you are going to hold others to a certain standard I think it only fair that you live up to it yourself. Not an insult.

And if you ever meet me in person you can call me an asshole and I promise not to take undue umbrage. You won't be the first nor the last.
(I reserve the right to do the same if I feel it appropriate under the circumstances.)

critter
05-04-2017, 08:23 PM
I think butthurt is when somebody says something bad about you, that was not the case at all. It was OP who took issue with something that was said and asked for the thread to be closed.

My butt was safe and sound. Since you mentioned it, I highly recommend this (https://www.amazon.com/Astor-Non-Electric-Mechanical-Attachment-CB-1000/dp/B003TPGPUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493945823&sr=8-1&keywords=japanese+bidet). Best $25 you will spend to never be butthurt again, seriously.

LoL... Does that thing come with a Gadget?

This may also do the trick.

http://www.davemansworld.com/hostpics/buttpaste.jpg

But the best anti-butthurt medicine on the planet is -- don't take anything or anybody, including yourself, so damn seriously as to cause your own butthurt in the first place. Butthurt is in your own mind. And that may be literally literally true for those with their heads literally up their asses ... but(t) photos, or it didn't literally happen.

StraitR
05-04-2017, 08:27 PM

I'm yanking your chain because you're whining online about other people being mean. You're completely missing the point of PFestivus. Otherwise, you would have saved this thread topic for another 132 Days, 11 Hours, 32 Minutes and put it where it belongs. But, you're clearly above such a noxious rock hurling event. I guess it's time we all hang up our deplorable mitts, get Tommy-John surgery, and disband team Mean Girls.

TAZ
05-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Dont take internet arguments too seriously. Its the internet, you need an extra layer of skin for it or youre going to have a hard time. Most of us arent eloquent enough to rely on written communications to make our points without sometimes seeming like a deuche. Hell how many times has somoene missed the sarcasm font and gotten yelled at without any reason. Stuff happens. Ive done my fair share of pissing folks off over the years of forum dwelling. Same for the inverse. Stuff happens and we move on.

Jared
05-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Todd was at the heart of many contentious arguments here and elsewhere. He was well known for it.

LL, you knew him and I didn't, but I had a pretty similar thought myself.

I think PF was around a year old when I registered my account after I lurked anonymously for a few months. I remember the place having a good bit more arguing back then, and often nuggets of gold would come out of those arguments.

Truthfully though, I think I prefer the more laid back Pistol-forum. I do miss Todd, like a lot of folks do though. And I miss when there were more shooting/training threads. I'd post more of them myself, but I've got less time than I used to have to actually go shooting. Couple more years should change that.

Jay Cunningham
05-04-2017, 09:14 PM
I was once staff on another fairly well-known forum, and a moderator on a lesser known one.

I'm also pretty familiar with gun and training forums in general.

PF is - in fact - a friendly place.

TDA
05-04-2017, 09:21 PM
I should be able to help myself, but I can't. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w536Alnon24

TDA
05-04-2017, 09:32 PM
I hear people are funny on the internet all the time, but damn, I can't seem to pull it off! I'll go work on my material.

BobLoblaw
05-04-2017, 09:35 PM
I got your back OP:
http://topix.com/forum/austin

RevolverRob
05-04-2017, 09:49 PM

I should clarify that I wasn't butthurt either. I was insulted, because the statement made is a slur where I come from. Someone who calls you what I was called, is saying a lot about you as a person and where I am from "those are fighting words"; in the truest sense. As in, literally, the last person who said that to someone in my family, was beaten like a rented mule.

I didn't want to get my blood pressure up (even more). Nor did I want engage in a protracted verbal exchange that wasn't necessary. I learned long ago to walk away from trouble. Having an option to shut the thread down and avoid the conflict seemed like the better use of everyone's time, including my own. I have no further comments on this subject, until PFestivus (and maybe not then).

Cookie Monster
05-04-2017, 10:08 PM
LoL... Does that thing come with a Gadget?

This may also do the trick.

http://www.davemansworld.com/hostpics/buttpaste.jpg

But the best anti-butthurt medicine on the planet is -- don't take anything or anybody, including yourself, so damn seriously as to cause your own butthurt in the first place. Butthurt is in your own mind. And that may be literally literally true for those with their heads literally up their asses ... but(t) photos, or it didn't literally happen.

We have two 20 month olds and use the fuck out of that brand of butt paste. Good stuff.

JAD
05-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Probably 90% of my friends are from/because of PF. Weird.

Speaking of which I'm coming to ABQ. I could test a g43 gadget if you want.

breakingtime91
05-04-2017, 11:04 PM
The other day I saw a post about the city I live in, Austin Texas.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25521-Austin-Texas-Rapidly-Declining-into-Craphole-City

It was written by an intelligent person who has lived there, knows the city and has strong opinions about it. I tried my best to offer my dissent, documenting my reasoning but most importantly striving to do so in a polite fashion and in good spirit.

When I came back to the thread, I saw it disappear in flames, soon to be shut down. I stared at it in disbelief, after all nobody else but OP and me seemed to live or have lived there, and even then, what could the big deal possibly be?

As I wondered, I looked at the counter for PFestivus at the top of the page, looming as it has been for weeks now (it's at 132 days now).

The message I read is: Soon. Soon you can vituperate insult berate everybody you feel like for whatever reason, be it what they wrote on a gun or a city or whatever.

I don't get a fun comedic feeling when I look at that counter, not with the tone that way too many discussions assume and maintain. I get a sense of a place where moderation is not the law of the land, be it self or mandated. Latest example I read:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25559-7-bounty-hunters-chase-wrong-car-amp-kill-innocent-man

I don't remember things being so tense in the past, and certainly NOT when Todd Green was managing this forum. Is this the way forward? Is this the fun now? Why not maintain that counter 24/7, increase the frequency of the gladiatorial games, or even open a PFestivus sub-forum where one can go when he feels like hurling shit like a baboon?

Instead, I maintain that the forum is becoming too contentious and oftentimes toxic, that this noxious PFevent is not beneficial, and that this forum would serve Todd's memory a lot better by being civil, insult free and respectful of other people at all times. More heavily moderated also if needs be.

So my wish is that welcome to the Forum will mean that this will return to be a place where students and teachers of the pistol converse in a polite way, particularly when they disagree on this or that, and where festivities will be celebrated sans hurling.

_______

Full disclosure, because I don't stand on a high horse: I have participated in last year's PFestivus for the first and last time and I regret having done it. Oh, the fun of being the fearless warrior hurling stones at others hoping than none would come my way. You wronged me, and here is righteous me in all his might. Sad, actually. My sincere apologies to those I have offended. In particular to VoodooMan and GardoneVT, the two I remember. I don't agree with basically anything that VM writes, it's uncanny really. I don't dig the tone in almost anything GVT says, but I don't know you and I have no right to insult you personally protected by anonymity.

people don't forget.......

you voted for Hillary.

breakingtime91
05-04-2017, 11:06 PM

The idea, that you, of all people, could act like anyone else is hard headed is insane to me.

orionz06
05-04-2017, 11:16 PM
It's like everyone's cycles have synced...

Chance
05-04-2017, 11:18 PM
I hear people are funny on the internet all the time, but damn, I can't seem to pull it off! I'll go work on my material.

I gave you a pity 'like.'

guymontag
05-04-2017, 11:30 PM
Thank you LostDuke, I just read through the thread you linked in the OP and literally had an LOL or two, especially at the end. Then I read this one and LOL'd even more.

I remember when people on this site looked down on the PX4 and CZ platforms which just reminds me of the overall theme - the more things change the more they stay the same.

orionz06
05-04-2017, 11:33 PM
I remember when people on this site looked down on the PX4 and CZ platforms which just reminds me of the overall theme - the more things change the more they stay the same.
Looked down on the PX4...? Looked down on would be an understatement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NerdAlert
05-05-2017, 12:15 AM
Looked down on the PX4...? Looked down on would be an understatement.

A while back (2 years maybe?) my brother in law asked me for advice on what gun to buy. He really liked the PX4 he had handled. I talked him out of it based on something I had read on PF. I can't point to a specific thread but yeah, the PX4 was like the red headed Remington striker pistol around here.

HCM
05-05-2017, 12:35 AM

You are mistaken. We are at war with Eastasia and we have always been at war with Eastasia.

Oceania was at war with Eastasia: Oceania had always been at war with
Eastasia. A large part of the political literature of five years was now
completely obsolete. Reports and records of all kinds, newspapers, books,
pamphlets, films, sound-tracks, photographs--all had to be rectified at
lightning speed. Although no directive was ever issued, it was known that
the chiefs of the Department intended that within one week no reference
to the war with Eurasia, or the alliance with Eastasia, should remain in
existence anywhere.

Trooper224
05-05-2017, 02:16 AM

Photos or it didn't happen. :)

Luke
05-05-2017, 02:45 AM

It's because you live in PA. I'm not coming all the way to PA to tell you things that I won't mention here as to make this an even bigger derailment. The things I say in real life to real people are much worse than what gets posted here. I'll be in MI next month, maybe we can meet up and insult each other face to face.

Luke
05-05-2017, 02:49 AM
I should clarify that I wasn't butthurt either. I was insulted, because the statement made is a slur where I come from. Someone who calls you what I was called, is saying a lot about you as a person and where I am from "those are fighting words"; in the truest sense. As in, literally, the last person who said that to someone in my family, was beaten like a rented mule.

I didn't want to get my blood pressure up (even more). Nor did I want engage in a protracted verbal exchange that wasn't necessary. I learned long ago to walk away from trouble. Having an option to shut the thread down and avoid the conflict seemed like the better use of everyone's time, including my own. I have no further comments on this subject, until PFestivus (and maybe not then).

I Googled carpetbagger and am confused as to why you are so insulted. Is there a slang meaning to this I'm not finding?

Duelist
05-05-2017, 04:39 AM
I Googled carpetbagger and am confused as to why you are so insulted. Is there a slang meaning to this I'm not finding?

If you are from the South, the term "carpetbagger" is among the gravest of insults. I'm sure that you could come up with something to say about someone's mother or sister or woman that would be worse, but you'd really have to put some effort into it. Just call someone a carpetbagger if you want that beating. It'll be easier.

Drang
05-05-2017, 05:17 AM
...you're supposed to be telling PF how much it sucks.
Dude, if I was going to be telling that big a lie, instead of admitting to having been an MI Geek who did a few mildly hoo-ah things I'd turn the fact that my mentors went on to serve in units that never existed despite having roles in Killing Pablo (among others) into >I< was a high speed, no drag, door kicking, face shooting, operational operator with operational experience on operations. That I totally can't talk about...

hufnagel
05-05-2017, 05:30 AM

I do believe I did just that while at the hotel. of course it was in the course of stating that you are my kind of asshole... :D

voodoo_man
05-05-2017, 05:52 AM
The idea, that you, of all people, could act like anyone else is hard headed is insane to me.

That's cute, really, outside this forum have you ever met me? "Taking things out of context" is essentially what guys like blues, and apperently you, have a PhD in it seems.

At the TLG event numerous people I've had heated conversions with I met face to face, not a single 'you suck' or whatnot, what did I get? "Good to meet you, love your posts!" "Thanks for posting really enjoy your content!"

A bunch of us even had some really good discussions at the hotel, over topics which have turned into a complete and utter shitshow here....but yet...face to face...that didn't happen ... How could that possibly he if I'm a complete asshole? How?

Ohh that's right, I'm not, certain people here like blues, can't see past their noses. Then they go all ham on the board and the mods, bless their souls, refuse to stop them before it turns into this type of thread.

Hambo
05-05-2017, 06:32 AM
Five fucking pages and not one "mods here are shit"?

Just another reason PF sucks.

rjohnson4405
05-05-2017, 07:16 AM
Tom_Jones I think you're doing the best you can with what you got (the giant shit pile that is the internet). Still the best forum I've ever been a part of.

Back when we were smaller the SMEs would (way too politely) correct people who came on the forum spewing non-sense with logic, experience, and data. But as any forum grows it's easier to find shit-spewing tards and hard to find more SMEs who want to spend their time refuting it. That being said, the membership still polices itself really well. I don't quite understand how people get so worked up by what someone says on an open, anonymous forum. There should be a limited number people whose opinion really counts and everyone else can fuck off. But I also grew up with anonymous communication like this so maybe my experience/opinion is different than the generation of "say that to my face."

There was a period between when PF was "too nice" and too big for SMEs to be everywhere where we got a tard influx like Brownie, etc. That had to stop and letting the membership police themselves was the way to do it. Frankly, I see a lot of bitching and no real solutions for how to solve these "problems". If you know a better way to do it, offer it up. Bitching for no reason is for PFestivus.

Zincwarrior
05-05-2017, 07:26 AM

er.. whats Pfestivus?

LittleLebowski
05-05-2017, 07:33 AM

He's fine in person.

Chance
05-05-2017, 07:34 AM
That I totally can't talk about...

Pfft. I'm in a unit so secret even we're not sure we exist.

TheNewbie
05-05-2017, 07:35 AM
er.. whats Pfestivus?

It's like taking someone to jail, and in the holding cells people are yelling, dancing, fighting, cursing, Puking , peeing on themselves, etc.

Zincwarrior

If you were insulted thats on you, because you're mistaken. If I insult someone I don't do it anonymously over the internet. I do it in person, where my horrific Hawaiian shirt lets you know I am not to be messed with, because any man manly enough to wear a shirt like the shirts I wear, is a brave man indeed*
besides, chill, I married a Yankee from Chicago where you are at. Its ok. You have better pizza and something called winter, which Texans don't have.

*If you get this reference, you are officially a Browncoat.

RJ
er.. whats Pfestivus?

http://pfestivus.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

breakingtime91
05-05-2017, 07:37 AM
He's fine in person.

I don't doubt it, I have had plenty of people tell me that offline. I wasn't saying it negatively, it seemed pretty obvious that he's hard headed :D. That's not saying that I can't be.

Zincwarrior
05-05-2017, 07:40 AM
http://pfestivus.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh...wow.

TheNewbie
05-05-2017, 07:41 AM
I bet most of the people here are cool in person. I take heated debates for what they are, debates. I understand we all can be overly emotional or rash and try to give some grace to that. I can have a heated and extremely frustrating debate with someone and then 10 minutes later be smoking a cigar with them.

voodoo_man
05-05-2017, 07:46 AM
I bet most of the people here are cool in person. I take heated debates for what they are, debates. I understand we all can be overly emotional or rash and try to give some grace to that. I can have a heated and extremely frustrating debate with someone and then 10 minutes later be smoking a cigar with them.

While I would agree, the fact that I've been personally attacked on here by several members repeatedly (like blues) while attempting to have a "heated debate" is completely counter to this forum's goal and norm.

The fact that those blatant personal attacks did not instantly result in action from the mods is the exact reason threads like this exist.

orionz06
05-05-2017, 07:47 AM
er.. whats Pfestivus?

The first year (or two) it seemed to be useful and folks actually aired some shit. The tone of the joint did seem to improve. Last year was a shit show full of haiku's and hugging. Not that I was hoping everyone would hate each other but folks seemed afraid to actually say what they wanted to say and instead held hands.

TheNewbie
05-05-2017, 07:48 AM
The first year (or two) it seemed to be useful and folks actually aired some shit. The tone of the joint did seem to improve. Last year was a shit show full of haiku's and hugging. Not that I was hoping everyone would hate each other but folks seemed afraid to actually say what they wanted to say and instead held hands.

Were Gender Nuetral Teddy Bears handed out? I don't remember.

Zincwarrior
05-05-2017, 07:50 AM

The only issue I have is that, every time I see Tom Jones posting I have to fight the urge to start belting out "Delilah!"...at work. :)

HCM
05-05-2017, 07:56 AM

I, for one, plan to rectify that this year.

orionz06
05-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Were Gender Nuetral Teddy Bears handed out? I don't remember.

No, there was discussion about them wearing little orange scarves but then it was a shirt and folks just kept changing things around and the end result was no bears for anyone.

I, for one, plan to rectify that this year.
It's healthy. Some of the best relationships I have came from tense online discussions and convergence with face to face talk or phone. Life is too short to be miserable all the time.

blues
05-05-2017, 08:16 AM
That's cute, really, outside this forum have you ever met me? "Taking things out of context" is essentially what guys like blues, and apperently you, have a PhD in it seems.

Since I wouldn't want to be smeared for failing to disclose the truth like certain unsavory characters who have recently come to light and pretend to be something they're not, including an individual who shilled their own business here without disclosing his (true) relationship to the venture, (going even so far as to issue it "likes")...I must come clean and admit that the alleged PhD referred to above is ABD, "all but the dissertation" but the more a certain individual spews his b.s. the more raw data I'll have at my command to defend my thesis.

blues
05-05-2017, 08:41 AM
Tom, mods everywhere are shit. (I know from 19 years of having been one on one or more sites over that period.)

We'll just have to keep buying your wares as penance. :cool:

hufnagel
05-05-2017, 08:51 AM
speaking of that... how do we/i know if you're getting the affiliate cash? I want to make sure you are.

Hambo
05-05-2017, 08:57 AM
Again, I'll ask that people bitch about me

You suck because you sent me free stuff. Happy now? ;):D

Zincwarrior
05-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Between PF and other ventures, I get to wake up every day to the people (both anonymous and that I know personality) reminding me how much I suck. I am truly blessed. :)

If you're married with kids, you're already used to that...;)

Daughter: (embarassed sigh)
Me: Hey I'm not the one with lime green hair.

Peally
05-05-2017, 09:37 AM
The funny part about this thread is the fact that I had the OP making the complaint already blocked. Don't remember why but it must have been pretty good since I'm too lazy to bother 19 times out of 20. Can't complain about the stupid when we're all contributors.

Vinnie Bagadonuts
05-05-2017, 09:40 AM
So as a new guy here I'm trying hard to understand all this. Somebody said something negative about Austin. The O.P takes exception to the tone of the responses from people he thinks knows nothing of his fair city. Austin? Really? I was born and raised in Detroit! Now thats a shit hole O.P.. I was once robbed at gun point at eight in the morning. Eight o'clock in the morning! I had to tell the guy he was too late, I had just been robbed fifteen minutes earlier. O.K. O.K that never happened. But the point is its just a city, it's nothing personal.

rob_s
05-05-2017, 09:49 AM
It's no secret that I've been banned from most of the gun-fag forums on the internet. It's also repeatedly been pointed out that I shouldn't be so proud of that fact.

PF tolerates me. Even When Todd was running things, and it was widely known that we didn't much care for one another, especially at that time.

Maybe it's the fact that PF tolerates people like me is what causes problems for those with sensitive sensibilities.

NH Shooter
05-05-2017, 10:04 AM
It's no secret that I've been banned from most of the gun-fag forums on the internet. It's also repeatedly been pointed out that I shouldn't be so proud of that fact.

PF tolerates me. Even When Todd was running things, and it was widely known that we didn't much care for one another, especially at that time.

Maybe it's the fact that PF tolerates people like me is what causes problems for those with sensitive sensibilities.

Rob-s and his yellow visor BS has been pretty much a major PITA where ever he has been found on the Internet. :-)

Full disclosure - I wouldn't know Rob if I tripped over him but enjoying reading his posts. I need to buy him a beer....

Default.mp3
05-05-2017, 10:15 AM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5587/30648965670_229a24f90f_o.gif

PF remains my favorite place these days, given that LF has been in a long decline (in terms of activity, not content, thankfully, unlike several other forums). Chill the fuck out, it's just a forum.

scw2
05-05-2017, 10:20 AM
speaking of that... how do we/i know if you're getting the affiliate cash? I want to make sure you are.

I think if you have cookies disabled it may not track properly. Not 100% sure though...

Maple Syrup Actual
05-05-2017, 10:21 AM

That's probably part of it. But then if you get a hundred people together, for anything, you'll just have some personality clashes. They stand out here because it's a relatively refined place (which really says something about the genpop internet...jesus)

I like the fact that PF retains people like Rob and VM because while the constant contrarian "I serve as an antidote to groupthink" thing doesn't actually affect groupthink among participants (in fact I think it reinforces it because participants feel challenged enough to develop their pro-whatever arguments, but still part of the winning team) it does have that effect on non-participants or potential participants in Team Glocks Suck Now or whatever. You read the established opinion, but you also read the dissenting opinion, and hopefully you end up with the impression "this is probably right, but not unassailable, so I'm not just taking it onboard wholesale".

Which is how I think a lot of established and/or expert opinion should be viewed.

orionz06
05-05-2017, 10:34 AM

Surely some people need to get out a little more.

I can certainly appreciate the contrarian side of things, sometimes it's over the top.

I'd love to see you and Voodooman in the same room.

Yes, it's 100% cookie based.
I think that's what my lunch should be.

Mitch
05-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Tom_Jones, PF doesn't suck at all, tapatalk sucks! I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the ignore thread feature to work on it. Piece of shit app.

PF is awesome, though.

rob_s
05-05-2017, 12:13 PM
I like the fact that PF retains people like Rob and VM because while the constant contrarian "I serve as an antidote to groupthink" thing doesn't actually affect groupthink among participants (in fact I think it reinforces it because participants feel challenged enough to develop their pro-whatever arguments, but still part of the winning team) it does have that effect on non-participants or potential participants in Team Glocks Suck Now or whatever. You read the established opinion, but you also read the dissenting opinion, and hopefully you end up with the impression "this is probably right, but not unassailable, so I'm not just taking it onboard wholesale".

Which is how I think a lot of established and/or expert opinion should be viewed.

I don't think anyone is changing their mind based on anything I post on the internet. I post entirely for my own entertainment and amusement.

Lost River
05-05-2017, 12:35 PM
So....

You know how sometimes you are reading a sentence quickly and mis-read a word, which then puts the whole sentence in a different context/light?

I read the OP's title as: "Welcome to Pistol-forum, such a friendly place. Almost like Autism."

Which had me seriously shaking my head, with an internal WTF moment.

Maple Syrup Actual
05-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Who could possibly have predicted that you would have something contrary to say to that?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

StraitR
05-05-2017, 12:38 PM
I don't think anyone is changing their mind based on anything I post on the internet. I post entirely for my own entertainment and amusement.

Exactly, which is why you're nothing but a troll anymore. You'd ban yourself if you had any dignity.

Robinson
05-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Dude, if I was going to be telling that big a lie, instead of admitting to having been an MI Geek who did a few mildly hoo-ah things I'd turn the fact that my mentors went on to serve in units that never existed despite having roles in Killing Pablo (among others) into >I< was a high speed, no drag, door kicking, face shooting, operational operator with operational experience on operations. That I totally can't talk about...

Hey take this from a CentraTornVictorGreySpikeFoxFromTheMog, those ISA dudes were newbs.

Kidding!

orionz06
05-05-2017, 12:52 PM
So....

You how sometimes you are reading a sentence quickly and mis-read a word, which then puts the whole sentence in a different context/light?

I read the OP's title as: "Welcome to Pistol-forum, such a friendly place. Almost like Autism."

Which had me seriously shaking my head, with an internal WTF moment.

Samesies.

rob_s
05-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Exactly, which is why you're nothing but a troll anymore. You'd ban yourself if you had any dignity.

Thank you for continuing to provide my entertainment, and allowing me once again to make this all about meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

rob_s
05-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Who could possibly have predicted that you would have something contrary to say to that?

Crap. I knew I was doing it wrong. I thought I was agreeing with you...

Maple Syrup Actual
05-05-2017, 12:59 PM
I also liked the fact that you managed to be somehow contrary with this post!

Face it man...you are hardwired.

Erik
05-05-2017, 01:02 PM

I also liked the fact that you managed to be somehow contrary with this post!

Face it man...you are hardwired.

Thank you both. This thread is a shit show that somehow I can't help following. At least that made me laugh.

blues
05-05-2017, 01:04 PM
This isn't PFestivus, and I typically take a very generous interpretation of everyone's posts, but if anyone wants to just come right out and unambiguously say that the only reason they post on PF is to stir up shit and cause problems, I'd welcome such information.

http://www.premiumcrickets.com/images/products/crickets_fullgrown.jpg

MistWolf
05-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Hmm, what to do? Start shotgunning out my resume, or go on unemployment and spend too much time on the internet? Is it stolen valor if you pretend to be a Keyboard Kommando?

PS- Send more ammo

breakingtime91
05-05-2017, 01:07 PM
I have a fascination with narcissism and trolls on the internet. I have several theories of why people troll but nothing solid. Fundamentally, as someone who teaches manners as part of my job, I believe it is a fundamental failing of the parents and community the person grew up in. This is going off the assumption we're not born as an asshole or someone who hides their true nature through anonymous internet posts. Gonna think on it more and post later my full thoughts.

blues
05-05-2017, 01:08 PM
Hmm, what to do? Start shotgunning out my resume, or go on unemployment and spend too much time on the internet? Is it stolen valor if you pretend to be a Keyboard Kommando?

PS- Send more ammo

Only if you falsely claim to have used "escape" to cut short a lengthy sentence.

Erik
05-05-2017, 01:09 PM
BTW, this thread would be much more accurate if the title said Welcome to Pistol-Forum, such an expensive place.

StraitR
05-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Thank you for continuing to provide my entertainment, and allowing me once again to make this all about meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

You're welcome. After all you have done, and continue to do, for internet gun boards over the last 10 years, it's the least I can do. Literally.

MistWolf
05-05-2017, 01:13 PM
This isn't PFestivus, and I typically take a very generous interpretation of everyone's posts, but if anyone wants to just come right out and unambiguously say that the only reason they post on PF is to stir up shit and cause problems, I'd welcome such information.

I'm only here to to make it on the PF Week in Review. But nobody ever gives me enough LIKES. Nobody

*sniff*

orionz06
05-05-2017, 01:14 PM
I have a fascination with narcissism and trolls on the internet. I have several theories of why people troll but nothing solid. Fundamentally, as someone who teaches manners as part of my job, I believe it is a fundamental failing of the parents and community the person grew up in. This is going off the assumption we're not born as an asshole or someone who hides their true nature through anonymous internet posts. Gonna think on it more and post later my full thoughts.

I kinda do too, but my interests are more so with those who are quick to point out people they think are trolls.

It's a lot different now on forums than it was 10-15 years ago. Lots of people are more something. Empowered ain't the right word but it sorta works. Lots of people are very quick to point out differing opinions and contrarian points of view as trolling. So much so that it seems to support the idea of groupthink. Not that P-F exhibits this but the forumscape overall doesn't seem to do well when folks have to support their thoughts or have discrepancies in their posting pointed out.

rob_s
05-05-2017, 01:19 PM
I kinda do too, but my interests are more so with those who are quick to point out people they think are trolls.

It's a lot different now on forums than it was 10-15 years ago. Lots of people are more something. Empowered ain't the right word but it sorta works. Lots of people are very quick to point out differing opinions and contrarian points of view as trolling. So much so that it seems to support the idea of groupthink. Not that P-F exhibits this but the forumscape overall doesn't seem to do well when folks have to support their thoughts or have discrepancies in their posting pointed out.

It's kind of become like screaming "witch!" or "you're racist!" to call someone a troll.

And, to the OP, trolls wouldn't exist on the itnternet if there weren't overly-sensitive folks to take the bait.

Mr_White
05-05-2017, 01:20 PM
No, there was discussion about them wearing little orange scarves but then it was a shirt and folks just kept changing things around and the end result was no bears for anyone

PF teddy bears shirtcocking it would have been really funny, I am sorry that didn't happen.

I'm very interested to hear your both your thoughts on the matter.

breakingtime91
05-05-2017, 01:21 PM

Absolutely true but I think that's just human nature. We all want to fit in and sometimes people will lash out at things that challenge the idea they have invested in. The same can be said about outliers as well, sometimes they get so invested in their idea that the only reason others think differently is because they have bought into some shit idea. All of this is really interesting, trolling for the sake of trolling, not necessarily presenting a difference of opinion is what really makes me wonder though. For example, Rob hasn't really contributed anything meaningful in a long time. Instead he posts to upset members and even brags about being banned from forums. A person with a normal physche wouldn't boast about being banned or go out of their way to piss people off. "Normal people" don't behave not hat way because we realize, morally, that isn't he right way to behave. Like I said interesting..

rob_s
05-05-2017, 01:26 PM
For example, Rob hasn't really contributed anything meaningful in a long time. .

What does "contributing" look like on an internet forum? Is that the criteria for participation? If so, how is it measured? who does the measuring? and the (presumed) banning when someone isn't deemed to be measuring up?

what have *you* contributed?

blues
05-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Absolutely true but I think that's just human nature. We all want to fit in and sometimes people will lash out at things that challenge the idea they have invested in. The same can be said about outliers as well, sometimes they get so invested in their idea that the only reason others think differently is because they have bought into some shit idea. All of this is really interesting, trolling for the sake of trolling, not necessarily presenting a difference of opinion is what really makes me wonder though. For example, Rob hasn't really contributed anything meaningful in a long time. Instead he posts to upset members and even brags about being banned from forums. A person with a normal physche wouldn't boast about being banned or go out of their way to piss people off. "Normal people" don't behave not hat way because we realize, morally, that isn't he right way to behave. Like I said interesting..

What a bunch of sociological b...I mean, how interesting. ;)

To be fair, however, even those who rankle are capable of posting something worthwhile from time to time.

Nah!!! Who'm I kidding. :p

Mitch
What does "contributing" look like on an internet forum? Is that the criteria for participation? If so, how is it measured? who does the measuring? and the (presumed) banning when someone isn't deemed to be measuring up?

Positive discussion and presenting of information? Not being a condescending prick, maybe?

breakingtime91

Well one, you posted, admitting that you were banned from multiple sites. You also, in the same post, said you only do this for your own enjoyment. The second part is fine, were pleasure driven animals so no fault there. Contributing, in any sense, is when you throw into the collective and it benifets others (socially speaking). I try to do this by giving my personal experiences with firearms, mindset, and things I have learned from mentors. I have also gave away multiple pieces of gear and equiptment to this community. That is the way that I feel I have contributed. Did I get enjoyment out of sharing and learning from others, absolutely. The problem I have with you is that you do not do that. Instead you try to find people's "button" and push it. If that was in the form of a constructive conversation, dick move but you would atleast be contributing. You, instead, troll. Voodoo, even though we don't agree on everything, puts forth good arguments, challenges others to think, and has responses when those thoughts are challenged. He contributes. Is that enough?

critter
05-05-2017, 01:32 PM

Does 75% "make an ass of myself" count for this survey?

breakingtime91
05-05-2017, 01:35 PM
FWIW (admittedly, not much), I disagree. He very recently started a great thread on grilling/barbecuing that I found very informative. In the recent past I've also enjoyed and learned from his threads about locks, woodworking, and his workshop. Those aren't exactly "for teachers and students of the pistol" topics but, thankfully, not everything here is about shooting/guns.

Ok, I stand corrected.

StraitR
05-05-2017, 01:38 PM

It's kind of become like screaming "witch!" or "you're racist!" to call someone a troll.

And, to the OP, trolls wouldn't exist on the itnternet if there weren't overly-sensitive folks to take the bait.

While I agree with you Rob, to an extent, I think you're the exception. You've basically admitted to being a troll (read your above posts) then defending yourself by putting the blame and shame on anyone who accuses another of being a troll. So yes, it is exactly like the subject of racism, in that you're building up the angst and fear of others to talk about it, meanwhile you freely exhibit the behavior. You revel in it, and it's the same BS that's gotten you banned from all the other boards.

orionz06
05-05-2017, 01:43 PM
There are a variety of antisocial behaviors that people exhibit on the internet. It's a pedantic pet-peeve of mine when any and all antisocial behavior -- not to mention disagreement, cordial or otherwise -- is labeled as trolling. Words, even goofy made-up internet words, have meaning.

"Trolling" is to Tom_Jones as "Hipster" is to orionz06. :cool:

Yes. Anyone under the age of 40 not wearing baggy ass pants seems to pass for a "hipster" these days. All pointed out by the same crotchety types who 15 years ago gave kids shit for wearing baggy ass jeans.

Participation is weird... I can certainly appreciate someone who won't be afraid to point out things almost more than I can someone who gets upset that another poster doesn't like their favorite color. Surely one should bring value to the table, even if that is asking folks why they seem head over heels for some new gun that hasn't been proven yet. And the value there is by way of the new blaster fans to articulate why they like it.

MistWolf
05-05-2017, 01:51 PM
FWIW (admittedly, not much), I disagree. He very recently started a great thread on grilling/barbecuing that I found very informative. In the recent past I've also enjoyed and learned from his threads about locks, woodworking, and his workshop. Those aren't exactly "for teachers and students of the pistol" topics but, thankfully, not everything here is about shooting/guns.

*sigh* Yes. Yes he did

(Two *sigh*s in one thread- a new record for me)

blues
05-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Yes. Anyone under the age of 40 not wearing baggy ass pants seems to pass for a "hipster" these days. All pointed out by the same crotchety types who 15 years ago gave kids shit for wearing baggy ass jeans.

Maybe we can just change the etymology and call those who wear baggy ass jeans "dipshits" and those who wear skinny jeans or stretch pants "hipsters".

And you can call those who wear the waistline of their pants under their armpits old fogies. ;)

RevolverRob
05-05-2017, 01:54 PM
A person with a normal physche wouldn't boast about being banned or go out of their way to piss people off. "Normal people" don't behave not hat way because we realize, morally, that isn't he right way to behave. Like I said interesting..

My therapist has a great thought on normal.

"What the fuck is normal anyway?"

This a forum for obsessive people to learn about and get better at shooting for blasphemy's sake. Sure, lots of people shoot as a hobby. But more people play golf, go jogging or bicycling, or even antiquing over shooting as a hobby. And not only that but somewhere in the neighborhood of half the content of this site is focused on the martial aspect of shooting. Which is to say...shooting people. Not even hunting. Shooting people.* - I'm not sure we should go around trying to label people normal.

*We all recognize and frequently discuss the legality and nuances associated with this topic. It's not like we're all psychopaths looking for a human to shoot. Quite the contrary we spend an inordinate amount of time figuring out how NOT to shoot people in a given situation. But it remains that a bunch of the context here is about concealed carry/martial application of the pistol. Heck, I'm not sure we even have a topic on Bullseye shooting on this forum.

Erik
05-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Lots of people are more something. Empowered ain't the right word but it sorta works.

I think entitled is the word you're looking for. At least it's the one that comes to mind. PF folks are not immune to the desire for a safe space.

As far as contributing and being a self-proclaimed troll, I think lots and lots of normal people revel in pissing other people off some times and it's well within social norms. If that's all somebody lives for, well it sucks to be them and to be around them. But part-time assholes can be a lot of fun. At least that's what my friends tell me. And I do think it's contributing to say, "I fucked around with the minutiae for years - spent lots of time, lots of money and lots of attention on it - and concluded it's not that important. Stop wasting your time." The tone or attitude may be grating, but personally I think the message is valid and it's useful for me because I'm someone who can spend an eternity fretting over the details only to find out later they were not so important.

voodoo_man
05-05-2017, 02:00 PM
Well one, you posted, admitting that you were banned from multiple sites. You also, in the same post, said you only do this for your own enjoyment. The second part is fine, were pleasure driven animals so no fault there. Contributing, in any sense, is when you throw into the collective and it benifets others (socially speaking). I try to do this by giving my personal experiences with firearms, mindset, and thing I have learned from mentors. I have also gave away multiple pieces of gear and equiptment to this community. That is the way that I feel I have contributed. Did I get enjoyment out of sharing and learning from others, absolutely. The problem I have with you is that you do not do that. Instead you try to find people's "button" and push it. If that was in the form of a constructive conversation, dick move but you would atleast be contributing. You, instead, troll. Voodoo, even though we don't agree on everything, puts forth good arguments, challenges others to think, and has responses those thoughts are challenged. He contributes. Is that enough?

I will preface this post by stating that I have been directly responsible for rob getting banned on at least one forum.

The issue I see with this type of conversation of "contributing" is that when someone does put effort into putting out content which will eventually lead to a heated discussion, the result is always one sided, being what the internet has expertly named, butthurt. That's when the insults start flying, the accusations, essentially everything which destroys any form of valid conversation and devolves it into what we have recently seen here. I am sure that once upon a time Rob did actually give a shit and did actually want to "contribute" to a forum here or there, or many. But with enough people on various forums pissing on what he has said has probably turned him into the neo-troll we have seen in the recent years. I have personally seen the line in the sand where people have actively engaged in pissing on anything I post and the mods here doing absolutely fuckall to stop it.

At what point does a person stop contributing because those contributions will undoubtedly result in heated arguments, of which, there are members here who cannot accept the fact that someone does not have the same opinion as them and therefore begins to call them names, spew bs, and basically do everything everyone accuses rob of doing? But it's "acceptable" because they are on the side of dogma and therefore immune to being labeled a troll? It's not acceptable, not in any way.

Before people start with the "kettle meet pot" line, it has only been recently that I started biting back. If anyone cares to go back a few years and see that I have always maintained a very positive response to anyone who puts up any sort of conversation, especially if they disagreed with me. However, I have been told to go fuck myself several times by members here, I have been told that I am the worst type of officer and that some members would be ashamed to even be in the same room as me. All of this for simply putting forward factual rebuttal to their assertions. What did I do when these people said these things? I didn't bite back, I hit the report button like I was supposed to, like I've been told to do by the mods and not a god-damn thing happened to this members. Nothing. No PM, no warning, nothing at all. In fact on several circumstances I was told that if I had not instigated the situation (by posting counterpoints) they would not have reacted that way. So what was the result? Last two or so weeks I started biting back, you know, just to show people the difference between how I normally am and how I can be once I do not have confidence in the mods to take action when I report people, you know when people attack me for "contributing."

Just keep in mind I have yet to hear a single post explaining how a post on a forum can reflect a person's inflection, tone or attitude. So save that bullshit for your boyfriend.

But wait, I am 100% alone in this right? *negative jeopardy buzzer sound* How many SME / long standing members rolled out recently? How many simply stopped coming around, how many reduced their "contributions" to this forum because of the same thing? How many "contributing" members is this forum going to piss on before things start changing?

Now you guys might be wondering why I am still here if I feel the way I do, simple answer is that even though Tom_Jones probably doesn't like me too much right now, he is a good guy and I want to help him in any way I possibly can. I have direct friendships with numerous members and some mods. There are more people here who really do agree with what I am saying more than they want to let on. This is a good community of members who really want to get better at what they are doing, they want to hear the conversations and they are here (and pay as contributing members) to help others. There are many members that knew me before I got on this forum and many who knew me after I joined, I enjoy the expectation that once something is posted here there will be worthwhile conversation and not some total junk like on the other place. This is why the recent weeks have turned into what they have, the inaction of the mods has really made this forum into a place where it is difficult to post, since I can only expect certain members to immediately attack instead of offering any sort of mature conversation on a particular topic. The sooner that ends, the better off this place will be.

Dare I say it...Make PF Great Again...

orionz06
05-05-2017, 02:11 PM
I think entitled is the word you're looking for. At least it's the one that comes to mind. PF folks are not immune to the desire for a safe space.

As far as contributing and being a self-proclaimed troll, I think lots and lots of normal people revel in pissing other people off some times and it's well within social norms. If that's all somebody lives for, well it sucks to be them and to be around them. But part-time assholes can be a lot of fun. At least that's what my friends tell me. And I do think it's contributing to say, "I fucked around with the minutiae for years - spent lots of time, lots of money and lots of attention on it - and concluded it's not that important. Stop wasting your time." The tone or attitude may be grating, but personally I think the message is valid and it's useful for me because I'm someone who can spend an eternity fretting over the details only to find out later they were not so important.

This is far more right than wrong.

Maybe my views are different because I welcome being forced to support my thoughts and ideas. I want to be right, being forced to prove it ensures that I am. If there's a hole somewhere it allows me to change what I'm doing, what I think, etc. Look at shooting in general. If we go back 60 years or so it would be "wrong" to have two fucking hands on the gun. Progress is great.

Malamute
05-05-2017, 02:23 PM
This is far more right than wrong.

Maybe my views are different because I welcome being forced to support my thoughts and ideas. I want to be right, being forced to prove it ensures that I am. If there's a hole somewhere it allows me to change what I'm doing, what I think, etc. Look at shooting in general. If we go back 60 years or so it would be "wrong" to have two fucking hands on the gun. Progress is great.

Some people seemed to get it, particularly for longer distances and game shooting, but its been slow becoming commonplace.

Hambo
05-05-2017, 02:48 PM
The problem with people in life, and on the net, is that most take themselves way too fucking seriously.

Jared
05-05-2017, 02:53 PM
The problem with people in life, and on the net, is that most take themselves way too fucking seriously.

QFT!

breakingtime91
05-05-2017, 03:02 PM
Are we defining trolling as when someone disagrees with you? If so, that isn't what I meant. I play video games so my idea of a troll is someone who's only function in that environment is to disrupt or ruin other people's expreriences. Not sure but it feels like others are saying that complaining about trolling means you can not support your claims? I have and always ask "why do you think that" or "what are your sources?" Maybe that's just the educator in me but my bs flag is up basically 24/7 because like others said in this thread, most people take their own words as gospel.

voodoo_man
05-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Are we defining trolling as when someone disagrees with you? If so, that isn't what I meant. I play video games so my idea of a troll is someone who's only function in that environment is to disrupt or ruin other people's expreriences. Not sure but it feels like others are saying that complaining about trolling means you can not support your claims? I have and always ask "why do you think that" or "what are your sources?" Maybe that's just the educator in me but my bs flag is up basically 24/7 because like others said in this thread, most people take their own words as gospel.

Where is the line then? As I stated, members disagree and then they start personal attacks because they disagree and cannot create any form of mature counter statements. Are they trolling at that point? Are they just defaulting to argumentum ad hominem? Does that instantly make them into trolls?

breakingtime91
05-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Where is the line then? As I stated, members disagree and then they start personal attacks because they disagree and cannot create any form of mature counter statements. Are they trolling at that point? Are they just defaulting to argumentum ad hominem? Does that instantly make them into trolls?

My post wasn't toward you but I can try to answer your questions?

voodoo_man
05-05-2017, 03:10 PM
My post wasn't toward you but I can try to answer your questions?

...when you don't quote who your post was towards how do you expect someone to know or not know?

But please, my statement was in response to yours but anyone is free to answer, obviously.

BWT
05-05-2017, 03:24 PM
The only thing I'll offer after over a decade on forums is... it's an Internet forum. While it's an awesome thing; sometimes it's good to step away for awhile and take it less seriously.

I say that as a guy that flipped out in a thread (in my opinion) recently that I should have followed my own advice.

God Bless,

Brandon

RevolverRob
05-05-2017, 03:26 PM
For sake of clarity, when anyone says "mods do/don't do XYZ" that should be read as "Tom does/doesn't do XYZ". The reason is that I've been very clear over the past 3 years to the remaining mods how I want the forum operated.

I say "remaining mods" because we went from over 12 to 3 during that time. Some got busy with life and didn't have time for PF any longer. Some very clearly stated that they didn't want to be a mod because they disagreed with my position on how PF will be run. More than one left because I refused to ban certain high profile members that they considered problematic (I believe their words were "poisonous" and "toxic").

The same goes for SMEs. I know several that don't post here any longer because I refuse to ban the same high profile members previously mentioned. Now, those certain high profile members -- and just so I can head off the recurring accusation of being passive aggressive, this group includes voodoo_man (and, for the record, includes many more people, it's not just him) -- have decided that I don't like them or that I'm not doing anything to prevent people from "attacking" them despite taking action where I normally wouldn't. Just because I don't do exactly what someone wants me to do, doesn't mean that I'm not doing anything. It just means I disagree with their desired course of action.

I've had long (very long) text message exchanges with voodoo_man (and phone calls, emails, PMs, etc. with the other members of that previously mentioned group) where I tried to explain why people react to him the way that they do and how he plays a role in the resultant shitshow. He very clearly disagreed with me and my thoughts, and that's totally OK with me. However, I don't have those conversations any longer, not because I don't like him -- I actually think he's a decent, though definitely quirky, dude -- but rather because those conversations aren't productive. While it's neither here nor there, I am personally struggling to make ends meet. I have a lot of irons in the fire and I hope to rectify my unenviable position soon™ but I simply have neither the time nor desire to engage in fruitless unproductive endeavors.

If anyone thinks I'm out to get them or have an ax to grind or anything even remotely similar, all I can say is that they are mistaken. If you chose to disagree and want constantly keep bringing up how I, or the "mods", am doing a terrible job or refusing to do whatever you think needs to be done. I encourage the following:

I like to think I'm a patient and tolerant man, but that patience and tolerance has limits.

I'm sure I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I think given the preponderance of Alpha Type-A people on this forum I think you and the moderating staff do an excellent job.

I know, for sure in Festivus we discussed how PF is growing, changing, and will (hopefully) continue to grow. It means that at times some folks may have contributed the bulk of what they have to contribute and others may contribute more. I look all over and see plenty of productive conversations going on. I mean, not to toot my own horn, look at our new Golf Thread! :rolleyes:

Anyways, for those who think Tom is a meanie with an axe to grind, it isn't true. I'm fairly certain I cause my fair share of trouble around here, either intentionally or not. Anytime I've felt it was over the line or causing issues, I've talked with Tom about it and always made sure that things were clear. Never once have I felt the specter of a moderator hanging around, ready to drop a "gotcha" axe on my neck any point.

TL;DR - mods here are not shit™

ssb
05-05-2017, 03:40 PM

"We" aren't defining it differently. Your statement is spot on to what's generally understood to be "trolling."

Some people confuse disagreement with trolling, for whatever underlying issue-driven reason I cannot understand. Some people interpret what is correctly described as poor etiquette/behavior to be trolling as well.

As an example of the latter, I've been shitty to voodoo_man before. I can think of two occasions where I went out of my way to speak more directly than my ordinarily more polite discourse. I did that because, despite his self-described educator complex, I believe he speaks beyond his relevance far more often than he'd like to admit. As a recent example, he posted in a manner which is possibly criminal under Pennsylvania (and all other states') law -- and gave advice that, if followed, would potentially land somebody in prison. But hey, "knowledge that wouldn't be otherwise available" and such. My response to that post he would very probably consider to be one of those many "pissing[s] on anything [he] post[s]." Nevertheless, the handful of times I've deliberately locked horns with him, there was genuine, substantiated disagreement feeding the aggressiveness. Does that make me a troll? I don't think so, despite the unprofessional manner in which I've posted and the fact that I contributed at least once to thread-lock.

In the past, he has spoken to me and others in a manner which I find unacceptable; "condescending" is putting it gently, as the guy often displays quite the Napoleon complex online. In particular, I find his constant refrains that nobody offline has trouble with him like he encounters here and elsewhere to be particularly rich -- he remains incredibly self-unaware when it comes to his posting style. Over the past year or two, he's repeatedly shit up threads on a forum I've enjoyed -- and paid to support -- for several years. Do I think he's a troll? There are words I'd use to describe him, but troll is generally not one of them.

The above stuff gets threads locked, but it's also not on the playing field of, say, that fishing guy who got read-only'd a few months back.

Trukinjp13
05-05-2017, 04:22 PM
There are worse forums. I think this one is pretty well moderated. We are adults are we not? Why the hell should some poor bastard have to get in the middle of every issue? Why can we not settle issues amongst ourselves? A lot of the shit comes from the simple fact that we type this stuff out.

A- it is easy to be the tough guy on a keyboard to someone else.
B- which I think is probably a bigger issue. Sometimes it is difficult to explain our thoughts or feelings through text. Talking on a phone or in person is a lot more personal and stuff does not get taken out of context.
C- you have a mix of civvies, leo, military. All of which have different personalities and interpretations of situations. You also have dipshits arguing with said professionals.

I know no one on here personally/professionally. I am just some dude who likes this site. I respect and appreciate when people who KNOW what they are talking about share there opinions. Even if it does not apply to me, I like to read through and take in as much as I can. I get the pfestivus or whatever the fuck it is called. I also like that you make it clear to not threaten anyone. Sorry for my ramble, I read through all of this. Which made me feel my opinion was somehow valid ;)

Jared
05-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Tom mentioned the logout button, so here's a story of my own. Around the Fall of 2012, I self banned myself from every forum on the gunternet. I just logged out and stopped posting. I lurked, here and elsewhere, but kept my own mouth shut. Why?

Because I got into a pretty good argument on another forum where both parties, me and the other dude acted like total shitheads. I decided after my head cleared that that wasn't how I wished to act online and that I needed a timeout to rethink my own actions. No mod said a damn thing to me on that forum, it was my own decision. Part two of that was that I got smart with one of the mods here, and regretted it. Nobody gave me an attitude adjustment over that one either, just myself, and that was with the old PF moderation.

So I took a year off from posting and just read. Along that time I realized that there wasn't anything on the internet worth acting like I had over. Nothing. Not to me anyway. Now I'm actually much more polite online than I am in person. Not that I go out of the way to be a rude asshole in the real world, just that I do proofread posts to make sure they are as polite and respectful as I can make them. That said, the whole "you wouldn't say that to my face" does not apply to me. I'll say a lot of things in person I won't post online. A lot

I also don't try to be funny here. My sense of humor and jokes rely heavily on facial expressions and tone of voice and that shit is lost in text. Rather than piss off someone I respect by trying to be witty, I just pass on the funny stuff.

It was about a year before I started posting again, and I much prefer this online version of myself to the old one. I don't think I've ever had any drama here either....

StraitR
05-05-2017, 04:54 PM

This is also my definition of troll, and has absolutely nothing to do with disagreeing with one another.

To expound... I don't think anyone needs to earn their right to be here, or even contribute in any way. I lurked here for a year without even making an account, and I bet there are plenty who still do the same. That said, if one's sole purpose for participating is to disrupt the thread for their own enjoyment, then they're trolling. If you don't like the thread, and can't participate without being a pompous prick, don't participate. If you can only respectfully and productively participate in threads you find interesting or agree with, but none of those threads happen to be gun related, then you're probably on the wrong forum board.

I typed out considerably more, but I'll save it for PFestivus.

RevolverRob
05-05-2017, 04:57 PM
I don't think I've ever had any drama here either....

We can fix that, you know. ;)

Whatchoo think you are? Better than those of us who can't show restraint? Merely 'cause you're able to show personal self restraint and respect? I got two words for you!

Nice Job

jondoe297
05-05-2017, 05:07 PM

It's funny how that works. I try to never say anything online to anyone that I wouldn't say to their face. Judging from the things I see on various forums and social media, I feel that I'm clearly in the extremely small majority. The internet makes people more bold than alcohol does, in my opinion.

Mr_White
05-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Tom mentioned the logout button, so here's a story of my own. Around the Fall of 2012, I self banned myself from every forum on the gunternet. I just logged out and stopped posting. I lurked, here and elsewhere, but kept my own mouth shut. Why?

Because I got into a pretty good argument on another forum where both parties, me and the other dude acted like total shitheads. I decided after my head cleared that that wasn't how I wished to act online and that I needed a timeout to rethink my own actions. No mod said a damn thing to me on that forum, it was my own decision. Part two of that was that I got smart with one of the mods here, and regretted it. Nobody gave me an attitude adjustment over that one either, just myself, and that was with the old PF moderation.

So I took a year off from posting and just read. Along that time I realized that there wasn't anything on the internet worth acting like I had over. Nothing. Not to me anyway. Now I'm actually much more polite online than I am in person. Not that I go out of the way to be a rude asshole in the real world, just that I do proofread posts to make sure they are as polite and respectful as I can make them. That said, the whole "you wouldn't say that to my face" does not apply to me. I'll say a lot of things in person I won't post online. A lot

I also don't try to be funny here. My sense of humor and jokes rely heavily on facial expressions and tone of voice and that shit is lost in text. Rather than piss off someone I respect by trying to be witty, I just pass on the funny stuff.

It was about a year before I started posting again, and I much prefer this online version of myself to the old one. I don't think I've ever had any drama here either....

Jared, FWIW, my impression of you has always been one of a pleasant and respectful person.

voodoo_man
05-05-2017, 05:14 PM
"We" aren't defining it differently. Your statement is spot on to what's generally understood to be "trolling."

Some people confuse disagreement with trolling, for whatever underlying issue-driven reason I cannot understand. Some people interpret what is correctly described as poor etiquette/behavior to be trolling as well.

As an example of the latter, I've been shitty to voodoo_man before. I can think of two occasions where I went out of my way to speak more directly than my ordinarily more polite discourse. I did that because, despite his self-described educator complex, I believe he speaks beyond his relevance far more often than he'd like to admit. As a recent example, he posted in a manner which is possibly criminal under Pennsylvania (and all other states') law -- and gave advice that, if followed, would potentially land somebody in prison. But hey, "knowledge that wouldn't be otherwise available" and such. My response to that post he would very probably consider to be one of those many "pissing[s] on anything [he] post[s]." Nevertheless, the handful of times I've deliberately locked horns with him, there was genuine, substantiated disagreement feeding the aggressiveness. Does that make me a troll? I don't think so, despite the unprofessional manner in which I've posted and the fact that I contributed at least once to thread-lock.

In the past, he has spoken to me and others in a manner which I find unacceptable; "condescending" is putting it gently, as the guy often displays quite the Napoleon complex online. In particular, I find his constant refrains that nobody offline has trouble with him like he encounters here and elsewhere to be particularly rich -- he remains incredibly self-unaware when it comes to his posting style. Over the past year or two, he's repeatedly shit up threads on a forum I've enjoyed -- and paid to support -- for several years. Do I think he's a troll? There are words I'd use to describe him, but troll is generally not one of them.

The above stuff gets threads locked, but it's also not on the playing field of, say, that fishing guy who got read-only'd a few months back.

I literally pointed at the screen and laughed.

You being unprofessional? Is that what cursing at someone who makes points you cannot wrap your head around means? Maybe it means just going out of your way, as your admitted, to piss on every post I make. By the way that is tantamount to troll activity, because not only do normal people not do that, but I've never done that to you even though you clearly seem to believe I'm the worst person alive.

Regardless of what you may think you know, you clearly do not. If you cannot open yourself up to learning something new, then it is best you do not try.

Also, for the record, your assumptions about me are literally laugh out loud funny as they are so wrong it should be embarrassing.

Before I forget, there is nothing criminal, almost criminal or whatever it is you think I said. You either did not understand it correctly or you don't understand the way that particular section of the law works. Also accusing someone of a criminal act is extremely short sighted and it would do you well to refrain from such action.

voodoo_man
05-05-2017, 05:15 PM
It's funny how that works. I try to never say anything online to anyone that I wouldn't say to their face. Judging from the things I see on various forums and social media, I feel that I'm clearly in the extremely small majority. The internet makes people more bold than alcohol does, in my opinion.

I completely agree. People seem to forget that things posted online should be in the same context as face to face interactions.

NH Shooter
05-05-2017, 05:20 PM
FWIW, I benefit from my interaction with nearly everyone here. What I truly appreciate is an objective, well written post supporting a POV, even if it's in opposition to something I posted. In fact, that is exactly the type of feedback that is often the most useful.

Leaving one's ego at the door and entering with an open mind to opposing POV is how growth happens. IMO, the status quo is something that should be questioned and challenged, and left as such only when nothing else offers a better way or explanation.

SMEs participate to advance their own cause. It's not unusual for them to decide that there is no benefit from further participation, especially if they feel their reputation or business will suffer. This happens on any forum where there are SMEs, regardless of the subject matter expertise.

User profiles are really useful - they help others understand the background and experience a participant brings to the conversation. Those who take the time to tell us about themselves get more careful consideration from me and helps me understand "where they're coming from."

Simply saying "thanks" for a useful comment goes a long way.

As with all Internet forums, what you gain from participation is often directly proportional to what you put into it.

If the participants of this forum weren't so passionate, this thread would be dead by now.

My thanks to all who answer my questions and participate in discussions I start (regardless of how lame they think they are).

Joe in PNG
05-05-2017, 05:24 PM
One happy thing is that your classic, thick headed, gunternet lore derpsters don't last very long.

voodoo_man
05-05-2017, 05:27 PM
ssb since we are airing grievances of one another...

You started a thread about the drive through, I typed out a really long post speaking from experience about certain aspects and whatnot, then deleted because I knew the moment I commented in that thread you'd attack me for simply trying to give you information. Not because that information is incorrect or negative, far from it as I worked years without a uniform in some of the worst areas. No, because you will have an emotional reaction to my post and instantly revert to what you, yourself, have admitted to doing which is pissing all over my post. It is very unfortunate you have this opinion of anyone you have not met in person, and it is definitely to your detriment.

Hambo
05-05-2017, 05:34 PM
This is an interesting thread, with an interesting link about why people react in certain ways.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25557-Rethinking-how-we-think-or-killing-little-g-gods

Jared
05-05-2017, 05:44 PM
We can fix that, you know. ;)

Whatchoo think you are? Better than those of us who can't show restraint? Merely 'cause you're able to show personal self restraint and respect? I got two words for you!

Nice Job

I know you're post was in jest, but I seriously do not think I'm better than anyone. I just try to be a "good student of the pistol" in a way that I think is in keeping with the forums mission statement. Not trying to be holier than thou to anyone or anything like that.

Again I know your post was meant in jest.

Jared
05-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Jared, FWIW, my impression of you has always been one of a pleasant and respectful person.

Actually dude, it's worth a lot to me. You've long been one of my favorite internet posters. When I finish this degree I'm working on; you, the guys from HiTS, and Tom Givens are on my training list. So I hopefully see ya in a couple years.

Mr_White
05-05-2017, 05:49 PM
Actually dude, it's worth a lot to me. You've long been one of my favorite internet posters. When I finish this degree I'm working on; you, the guys from HiTS, and Tom Givens are on my training list. So I hopefully see ya in a couple years.

Awesome, those guys are on my training list too. Well, not me, I train with that guy too much already, but HiTS and Tom Givens for sure. :)

Soggy
05-05-2017, 05:55 PM
I don't think the election helped the tone any in the last few months, but that seems to have abated. Finding out others peoples views on religion and politics can also bleed into other areas, at least for me. There are some posters here who views in the political arena I have not so well disguised contempt for. I'm sure many feel the same way about mine. If I try hard though I can ignore all that and learn what I can from them regarding shooting/guns/all kinds of other stuff.

CS Tactical
05-05-2017, 05:56 PM
WTF is going on in here? Is Cinco De Mayo an all day thing now? If you're hammered enough to argue over silly shit than send me your billing plus CC info and I'll send you something really nice :cool:

blues
05-05-2017, 05:58 PM
WTF is going on in here? Is Cinco De Mayo an all day thing now? If you're hammered enough to argue over silly shit than send me your billing plus CC info and I'll send you something really nice :cool:

What have you got for thinko thentavoth?

orionz06
05-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Sometimes I wonder if most here forget that there is porn on the net too...

CS Tactical
05-05-2017, 06:01 PM
What have you got for thinko thentavoth?

It's a thurprise...

CS Tactical
05-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Sometimes I wonder if most here forget that there is FREE porn on the net too...

ftfy

critter
05-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Sometimes I wonder if most here forget that there is porn on the net too...

And, a good bit is in the gallery right over there...:p

critter
05-05-2017, 06:18 PM
I think something often overlooked, deliberately, is that each of us is responsible for our own god damned emotions -- and the behavior in which we choose to engage as a result. It's not that complicated, well, not unless you're a left-tard. ;)

Mitch
05-05-2017, 06:25 PM

I have pretty much the exact same list. I trained with Tom last year but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. If Gabe doesn't come close to me soon I may have to see what I'd have to do at my club to host him. Still working on figuring out how to sell a road trip to Texas to my wife so I can take a HiTS class.

Trooper224
05-05-2017, 06:26 PM
To think the OPs response to a less than complimentary opinion of his home town spiraled into this tornado of hurt feelings. What would have happened if someone had called your momma a whore, or kicked your dog? Huzzah.

Jared
05-05-2017, 06:43 PM
To think the OPs response to a less than complimentary opinion of his home town spiraled into this tornado of hurt feelings. What would have happened if someone had called your momma a whore, or kicked your dog? Huzzah.

From what I've seen, posts have been getting gradually more testy around here lately, from more than one group of people. This is more like round 10 of that, I think.

Malamute
05-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Late winter seems to bring it out on a number of forums, maybe its the cold spring?

Or aliens.

scjbash
05-05-2017, 07:08 PM
It seems to me that if a small handful of members would block each other 90% of the bullshit would cease to exist.

ssb
05-05-2017, 07:17 PM
ssb since we are airing grievances of one another...

You started a thread about the drive through, I typed out a really long post speaking from experience about certain aspects and whatnot, then deleted because I knew the moment I commented in that thread you'd attack me for simply trying to give you information. Not because that information is incorrect or negative, far from it as I worked years without a uniform in some of the worst areas. No, because you will have an emotional reaction to my post and instantly revert to what you, yourself, have admitted to doing which is pissing all over my post. It is very unfortunate you have this opinion of anyone you have not met in person, and it is definitely to your detriment.

No, I wouldn't have. You didn't read my post very closely, just as you didn't read (or understand) my responses to that thread very well either when you referenced it elsewhere. I listen to you when you can add value. That particular thread is one that I would have considered well within your wheelhouse. You'll notice I remained professional with several people who told me an answer I didn't want to hear in that thread (some variant of "don't drink" or "don't go dangerous places." I intentionally headed that off in the OP, as I wanted the thread to be about practical things I could do should I be stuck in a drive through and walked up on again rather than a generalized "don't go bad places, especially unarmed." Nevertheless, I drew from some of those responses and will adjust my behavior accordingly).

An issue I have with you is that you often give the reader the impression you believe yourself to be the authority on whatever it is you happen to be speaking about. It's incredibly off-putting, especially when it's something you're clearly out of your lane on. And you have been out of your lane on multiple occasions that I can recall, regardless of how much "experience" you claim to be speaking from on the matter. Something that goes hand in hand with that is that you often demand of yourself what you often refuse to give others, specific to respect for that experience. Yours seems to be the only experience that matters to you. That's unfortunate, and in the past when you've said as much on topics I happen to be well-versed in it was downright insulting. "Fuck you" isn't the only way to insult somebody, in case you were unaware.

In almost every case, when it comes to the LE perspective, I can -- and do -- get my information elsewhere. For me, you add very little that cannot be obtained from other members in a more professional tone. I'm sure you could say the same about me.

The remainder of my thoughts are best left for another venue, if I choose to air them at all. You and I would probably both agree that we're probably not going to get very far with each other.

And then I scrolled up, as I only caught the mention post (which was at least somewhat well-written) and not the quote post in which you defaulted to your idiot manchild mode...

I literally pointed at the screen and laughed.

You being unprofessional? Is that what cursing at someone who makes points you cannot wrap your head around means? Maybe it means just going out of your way, as your admitted, to piss on every post I make. By the way that is tantamount to troll activity, because not only do normal people not do that, but I've never done that to you even though you clearly seem to believe I'm the worst person alive.

Regardless of what you may think you know, you clearly do not. If you cannot open yourself up to learning something new, then it is best you do not try.

Also, for the record, your assumptions about me are literally laugh out loud funny as they are so wrong it should be embarrassing.

Before I forget, there is nothing criminal, almost criminal or whatever it is you think I said. You either did not understand it correctly or you don't understand the way that particular section of the law works. Also accusing someone of a criminal act is extremely short sighted and it would do you well to refrain from such action.

:)

LittleLebowski
05-05-2017, 07:20 PM
That's a wrap, folks. Use your Ignore lists or save it for #Pfestivus (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Pfestivus)

Alternatively, I suggest video recorded duels. Whoever does the best on a certain drill on video gets bragging rights and a pony.