PDA

View Full Version : 7 bounty hunters chase wrong car & kill innocent man

LittleLebowski
05-04-2017, 11:27 AM
http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/story/35337404/7-bounty-hunters-shot-at-wrong-car-charged-with-murder?utm_medium=social&utm_source=WPSD-TV

GardoneVT
05-04-2017, 11:32 AM
If a group of thugs spray bullets into an innocent party's car without care or concern,does their profession matter?

LittleLebowski
05-04-2017, 11:35 AM
If a group of thugs spray bullets into an innocent party's car without care or concern,does their profession matter?

Ask the LAPD.

TGS
05-04-2017, 11:35 AM
That's incredibly tragic, that poor family.

This should be a wakeup call for the bail enforcement community, though most of them aren't professionals so there's likely not much learning to be done.

GardoneVT
05-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Ask the LAPD.

Sworn LE =\= armed thugs, regardless of what BLM may say.

Lester Polfus
05-04-2017, 11:48 AM
"The bounty hunters, Jenkins said, started shooting in the parking lot and continued to fire on them during the chase, even ramming the Nissan along the way."

Even if the people in the Nissan had been their felons, that's still not ok.

I think states that allow bail bondsmen to apprehend people need to just end it. This sort of thing crops up pretty regular.

LittleLebowski
05-04-2017, 11:51 AM
This is how you get industry regulation.

LittleLebowski
05-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Sworn LE =\= armed thugs, regardless of what BLM may say.

Without rancor nor insult, I cannot parse your statement, because I'm stupid, I assume.

voodoo_man
05-04-2017, 01:02 PM
Ask the LAPD.

To be fair it wasn't the same exact situation...

The people also didn't die and they got a new truck out it...

LittleLebowski
05-04-2017, 01:11 PM

I know and it was still rank bullshit, both incidents.

RevolverRob
05-04-2017, 01:12 PM

Oh well...In that case...

It's perfectly fine for sworn officers to open fire on a vehicle with unknown occupants inside. After all, if there is a mistake, the city and taxpayers will just pay for it. - We need a facepalm smilie -

Seriously, both situations are indefensible.

TAZ
05-04-2017, 01:19 PM
This is how you get industry regulation.

Ding ding. We have a winner here. I am still shocked at just how little regulation and oversight there is for bounty hunters in some areas. I have zero problems with bounty hunters going after people who skip out on court appearances and leaving the bondsman holding the $$. LEO are already understaffed and overworked. If we hang this noise around their necks in addition to all the other duties it would never get done. Once that happens you can say goodbye to bondsman. Not a good idea IMO.

Some self implemented screening, training and follow up would go a long way. Either that or .gov will do it for you.

blues
05-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Ding ding. We have a winner here. I am still shocked at just how little regulation and oversight there is for bounty hunters in some areas. I have zero problems with bounty hunters going after people who skip out on court appearances and leaving the bondsman holding the $$. LEO are already understaffed and overworked. If we hang this noise around their necks in addition to all the other duties it would never get done. Once that happens you can say goodbye to bondsman. Not a good idea IMO.

Some self implemented screening, training and follow up would go a long way. Either that or .gov will do it for you.

Well said. It's not that it's not a job worth doing...it's that it's a job that needs to be done right. Imho, they have way too much latitude in how they perform their jobs and not enough oversight and control.

critter
05-04-2017, 01:42 PM
The Montgomery County grand jury charged all seven men with first-degree felony murder, three counts of attempted second-degree murder, three counts of especially aggravated kidnapping, attempted especially aggravated kidnapping, four counts of aggravated assault, employing a firearm in commission of a dangerous felony and felony reckless endangerment, police said.

And perhaps some industry self regulation as well. Opening fire in a Walmart parking lot, continuing to fire while in pursuit, ramming the vehicle... yeah... this appears to be Darwin Award worthy brilliance. I want to think that there's more behind the curtain over there -- some line of reasoning that would at least somewhat reasonably answer, "what the hell were you thinking?"

"The guy we were after is considered armed and dangerous." -- doesn't quite get there.

voodoo_man
05-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Do we really need to rehash this situation? Yes it wasn't right and yes it was due to a high tension event during which 5 people including several officers were shot and killed by this guy. As I stated before in various threads, these types of situations are complete cluster fucks and this is exactly the type of thing proper training will all but stop from occurring.

Point your aggression at the right direction and not me for making a case for more training as I always have.

The OP is about literal thugs with no actual training and or authority in any capacity. LE shouldn't even be compared to them as it's literally comparing apples to oranges.

Bart Carter
05-04-2017, 02:04 PM
One would think that bounty hunters or bondsmen would have even the basic training/permits/licenses of a CCW permit holder that knows you cannot shoot unarmed people. It has to be pretty expensive to bond or insure these types of employees.

Lester Polfus
05-04-2017, 02:04 PM

I think the reason why there isn't any more regulation is that 99.9% of the time, the people who are on the receiving end of their bad behavior are scrotes.

Duces Tecum
05-04-2017, 04:01 PM
The OP is about literal thugs with no actual training and or authority in any capacity. LE shouldn't even be compared to them as it's literally comparing apples to oranges.

I wonder if the people in the car (or in the LEO action, the truck) feel the comparison is inaccurate. Anybody know?

In any event, I'm not clear why the act of a trained LEO shooting at a truck full of innocent people exemplifies acceptable law enforcement practice. At this point, the distinction between LEO training and thuggery is lost to me.

As Forrest Gump might have said, "Thuggery is as thuggery does".

voodoo_man
05-04-2017, 04:13 PM
I wonder if the people in the car (or in the LEO action, the truck) feel the comparison is inaccurate. Anybody know?

In any event, I'm not clear why the act of a trained LEO shooting at a truck full of innocent people exemplifies acceptable law enforcement practice. At this point, the distinction between LEO training and thuggery is lost to me.

Please, quote where I said it's acceptable behavior.

If the difference between the two is lost to you then less posting and more reading should be proper course of action.

RevolverRob
05-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Point your aggression at the right direction and not me for making a case for more training as I always have.

My issue is with your statement that the victims of the assault received a new truck out of it. The implication is that this (receiving compensation) somehow justifies it. I think you and I both know it doesn't. To be honest, I think you just chose poorly with your words and this post seems to indicate that isn't what you intended to imply. Cool, if that's not what you meant then it's a miscommunication and we'll chalk it up to a miscommunication.

LittleLebowski
05-04-2017, 06:03 PM

There was two fuckups of this type by the LAPD.

Duces Tecum
05-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Please, quote where I said it's acceptable behavior. If the difference between the two is lost to you then less posting and more reading should be proper course of action.

Item 1: Implied in the last paragraph, Post 15 (quoted in my Post 18). This suggests that with "training" and or "authority" shooting at unarmed departing victims is acceptable behavior.

Item 2: Well, I don't see the difference to the (innocent) victims between being shot at by LEOs or by Thugs. It still leaves a mark. Why wasn't the cop who shot up the Los Angeles truck charged with, oh, I don't know, Conduct Unbecoming or something? The Thugs (and please understand, I do not support thuggery) are facing much worse for essentially the same thing: shooting at innocent humans in a departing vehicle.

I think my point is that if something is against the law, it should be against the law for everybody. If somebody does it anyway, they should face the same consequences whether LEO or Thug. Saying "the cops training was inadequate" is insufficient. It's a judgement (and not a training) issue. I understand you are convinced LEOs should should not be held responsible in these matters (the "training" issue again). You and I are just on different sides of the table here.

TheNewbie
05-04-2017, 07:24 PM
My issue is with your statement that the victims of the assault received a new truck out of it. The implication is that this (receiving compensation) somehow justifies it. I think you and I both know it doesn't. To be honest, I think you just chose poorly with your words and this post seems to indicate that isn't what you intended to imply. Cool, if that's not what you meant then it's a miscommunication and we'll chalk it up to a miscommunication.

I think the truck comment was dark humor. IDK

I am surprised this didn't happen more. It's bad whoever does it, but as much as I am against regulation, this arena needs some.

For us LEOs, stop the stupid mandated training that is useless, and make mandated training about things which will help protect the public and avoid these situations.

hufnagel
05-04-2017, 09:25 PM
As a general rule, most if not all of VDM's comments should be viewed through the filter of "Dark Humor" before anything should be taken seriously. :)

Lon
05-05-2017, 02:34 AM
My experiences with bail enforcement agents have been universally bad. Had a couple in town tonight from TN that wanted us to kick in a door for them. Nope. Sorry. Don't know you and aren't taking your word for that bad guy is in there. They took it well and admitted their profession has a universal bad reputation.

voodoo_man
05-05-2017, 05:55 AM
As a general rule, most if not all of VDM's comments should be viewed through the filter of "Dark Humor" before anything should be taken seriously. :)

As a rule I first disregard most posts which are not from supporting members and two from known trolls who, for some reason are allowed to still be around and spew their bs.

fixer
05-05-2017, 06:14 AM
I can't say I blame anyone for trying to defend themselves by any means necessary in that situation.

If I don't hear "police", see badges, anything to indicate law enforcement, I'd probably go into freak out mode as well.

Dark Humor alert: Do we need to start carrying frags?