PDA

View Full Version : HK All In on U.S. Civilian Market With New Factory Plans

FPS
05-03-2017, 05:14 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/05/03/heckler-koch-building-us-factory-georgia/

Heckler & Koch is building a US factory in Georgia, a welcome surprise for US gun buyers. The German arms manufacturer is building a 23 million dollar facility in Columbus, Georgia to built pistols, sport, and hunting guns. At this time we are unaware of exactly what lines are to be produced in the new stateside facility, I assume that it will be models that were previously affected by import restrictions.

RJ
05-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Looking forward to visiting the Gift Shop after my Factory Tour. :)

Morbidbattlecry
05-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Please god MP7...

Joe in PNG
05-03-2017, 06:17 PM
Good- I'd love to see some of the classic H&K rifles that don't cost an arm or leg.

Jared
05-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Cautiously optimistic. I'm hoping that they maintain the quality of the German built guns when they move production stateside. If they can do that, and get around our import laws and some of Germany's export laws, I think we'll benefit.

Besides, I'm a sucker for more US jobs.

breakingtime91
05-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Cheaper magazines? A man can dream.

Lester Polfus
05-03-2017, 07:12 PM
I'm hoping that they maintain the quality of the German built guns when they move production stateside.

I make no predictions regarding what the quality of the US guns will be, but I'm quite confident predicting the internet gun boards are spooling up to find differences between the guns made in the two different countries, and contemplating buying some good used German examples just to ride the bubble.

Mike C
05-03-2017, 07:20 PM

I'd like this more than once if I could. I'll be having wet dreams of $22 VP9 and P2000 mags tonight. I would also add hopes for a bunch of factory SBR piston guns/uppers from these dudes. It would make shootin' suppressed mo'betta. Less to clean for my lazy ass.

voodoo_man
05-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Please god MP7...

I am both interested in afraid.

Interested because I'd love to see a non mil/ semi version of the mp7 and I really don't want to pay $3500 for one.

11B10
05-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Looking forward to visiting the Gift Shop after my Factory Tour. :)

Rich, there IS a Santa Claus! Jawohl! ("Yes, it is willed!"). Or, as we used to say in High School: "Yes, indeed!"

El Cid
05-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Please god MP7...

Other than the "you can't have it" factor, what's the fascination with that weapon? It's ballistically useless.

rd62
05-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Sweet! Road trip!

Sigfan26
05-03-2017, 07:59 PM
Other than the "you can't have it" factor, what's the fascination with that weapon? It's ballistically useless.

Mostly the fact that I can buy the ammo, but not the gun. It's basically firearms related blue balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephanie B
05-03-2017, 08:00 PM
From my t-shirt collection:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170504/956b629d3e0dc969004db8b782b3b4f5.jpg

GJM
05-03-2017, 08:07 PM
I make no predictions regarding what the quality of the US guns will be, but I'm quite confident predicting the internet gun boards are spooling up to find differences between the guns made in the two different countries, and contemplating buying some good used German examples just to ride the bubble.

What we need is Cohen to become CEO, so we can have Cohen era, US HK pistols.

El Cid
05-03-2017, 08:09 PM
Mostly the fact that I can buy the ammo, but not the gun. It's basically firearms related blue balls.

Lol! I'm all for people buying guns even if there is no practical reason. The MP-7 just seems to have the "it" factor. personally if I wanted a fun ice pick shooter I'd go PS-90 (again).

critter
05-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Lol! I'm all for people buying guns even if there is no practical reason. The MP-7 just seems to have the "it" factor. personally if I wanted a fun ice pick shooter I'd go PS-90 (again).

And.. it's 4.6 times more effective! ;)

HCM
05-03-2017, 08:48 PM

This ^^^^

HCM
05-03-2017, 08:49 PM
From my t-shirt collection:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170504/956b629d3e0dc969004db8b782b3b4f5.jpg

Isn't this now FNH-USA's motto ?

jeep45238
05-03-2017, 08:53 PM
^Buuuurn!!!

Cautiously optimistic. I'm hoping that they maintain the quality of the German built guns when they move production stateside. If they can do that, and get around our import laws and some of Germany's export laws, I think we'll benefit.

This.

Always cheaper mags. Always.

And frankly, it might be enough of a reason for me to look at shelving Sig's in the coming years if HK prices drop a tid bit. But I really, really need to avoid platform hopping every year - shit gets expensive.

Mike C
05-03-2017, 09:21 PM
What we need is Cohen to become CEO, so we can have Cohen era, US HK pistols.

That's just down right mean, besides they already seem to have their fair share of issues with management.

fatdog
05-03-2017, 09:24 PM
If I remember correctly, they bought the land and laid out plans for the plant as part of the move to Columbus about a decade or so ago, the assumption at the time being the XM8 project would move ahead and they would have to produce them here. Its good they are going to follow through with some form of domestic production, but I share the concerns about a quality fall off, not because it is U.S. based, because I would for any brand new facility with a brand new staff in a far away location.

CCT125US
05-03-2017, 10:17 PM

I must have always purchased at the right time. Most I have paid for a P30 mag is $30. I also refuse to pay more than $20 for P2000 mags. After the great CDNN sale, I know they are out there, and I took advantage of that.

Olim9
05-03-2017, 11:34 PM
To trust TFAB or not to trust TFAB?

Coal Train
05-04-2017, 04:42 AM

The current pistols they produce here seem to have the same quality levels as the ones they produce in the Fatherland.

Jared
05-04-2017, 06:18 AM
If I remember correctly, they bought the land and laid out plans for the plant as part of the move to Columbus about a decade or so ago, the assumption at the time being the XM8 project would move ahead and they would have to produce them here. Its good they are going to follow through with some form of domestic production, but I share the concerns about a quality fall off, not because it is U.S. based, because I would for any brand new facility with a brand new staff in a far away location.

It's not that I don't trust US manufacturing either, because I do. But I work in a factory and I've seen a lot of issues when new equipment is installed or old equipment is moved.

Look at Beretta and their move to Tennessee. I've seen a few posts on here that we're basically "what's the deal with supply, they moved months ago." The short answer is machinery isn't exactly like putting your clothes in a suitcase and moving them. Some years ago, my employer, in a plan to streamline product flow, moved 6 machines (that were working great) about 150 feet. It was several months before they all ran as good as they had before. That was 6 machines that stayed under the same roof the entire time. So I can only imagine what happens when you load up an entire factory and move it to another state. Machines aside, then you have to start training new employees. Old ones can do that, but contrary to popular belief, in the age of automated manufacturing, the operator still makes a load of difference and it's not as easy as taking a monkey and giving him 40 hours of training and suddenly he's as good as an operator with ten years on the job. Skilled jobs (like the technicians that do repairs on these automated machines) take even longer to develop.

I still want HK's domestically produced, don't get me wrong. I'm just pointing to a few hurdles that they will have to jump and saying I'm thinking it might not be all wine and roses right from the jump.

As a totally unrelated aside, my employers are headquartered in Germany too, so this really isn't something that super German engineering automatically overcomes in my experience either.

voodoo_man
05-04-2017, 06:24 AM
...just thinking about it...maybe they know something about Trump's tax changes which we do not..a company like HK wouldn't move shop if it wasn't going to make and or save them a lot.

5pins
05-04-2017, 07:10 AM
I hate to rain on everyone’s parade but an HK rep came by a couple of months ago and said that the factory in Georgia will not be making anything that is currently made in Germany. The German export laws not only apply to physical items but also to intellectual property. Everything they make here will have tobe designed in the U.S. They won’t even be allowed to import the German steelthey are so proud of.According to him the first two items to be made in the U.S. will be an AR style rifle (not 416) and a compact pistol in 9mm or .380. He could also be blowing smoke up my ass. Would not be the first time.

RJ
05-04-2017, 07:33 AM
I hate to rain on everyone’s parade but an HK rep came by a couple of months ago and said that the factory in Georgia will not be making anything that is currently made in Germany.

Um well you know they don't make a P30 Compact now in Germany...just sayin'. :cool:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
05-04-2017, 07:36 AM
Color me surprised, they chose a right to work state, not a closed shop state.

BaiHu
05-04-2017, 07:37 AM
#HKhatesyou (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=HKhatesyou) #MAGA (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=MAGA) ?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Beat Trash
05-04-2017, 08:43 AM
An HK version of the Walthr PPS?

This will be interesting to see what actually comes out of this plant, once it's up and running.

Peally
05-04-2017, 09:31 AM
I want to see what the 16" barreled MP7 is going to look like, because it will be hilarious.

RJ
05-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Thought this sounded familiar.

From HK USA press release January 12th 2017:

http://hk-usa.com/heckler-koch-expand-columbus-georgia/

"COLUMBUS, GA – Heckler & Koch, a manufacturer of firearms and accessories, will invest $28.5 million to expand its existing operations in Columbus, Georgia. The new 50,000 square-foot facility in the Corporate Ridge Business Park will be ready in the summer of 2017 at which time HK will consolidate its New Hampshire operations into Columbus."

5pins
05-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Um well you know they don't make a P30 Compact now in Germany...just sayin'. :cool:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm just telling you what he told me.

RJ
05-04-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm just telling you what he told me.

No worries, it was just a poor attempt at humor. You know, us HK Kool-Aide drinkers are *never* happy. :)

breakingtime91
05-04-2017, 10:43 AM
No worries, it was just a poor attempt at humor. You know, us HK Kool-Aide drinkers are *never* happy. :)

or is that everyone else just likes to rain on our parade :eek:

HCountyGuy
05-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Wasn't this already divulged earlier this year? Did some in the firearms community just come out of hibernation?

At any rate, I'm eagerly awaiting its opening since it's in my back yard.

RJ
05-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Wasn't this already divulged earlier this year? Did some in the firearms community just come out of hibernation?

At any rate, I'm eagerly awaiting its opening since it's in my back yard.

Yes and yes.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23841-Investment-and-Expansion-of-HK-USA

FPS
05-04-2017, 03:36 PM
German site Spiegel Online extra confirmed it ;). Here is a Google translate page of the article TFB was referencing:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A//www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/heckler-koch-baut-eine-waffenfabrik-in-den-usa-a-1145982.html

Willard
05-04-2017, 08:58 PM
I wonder if there is any possibility of a HK 91...

Joe in PNG
05-04-2017, 10:26 PM
I wonder if there is any possibility of a HK 91...

91, 93, 94- I would love to see them all.

jeep45238
05-04-2017, 10:33 PM
91, 93, 94- I would love to see them all.

I'd pay for a 93 yesterday.

Talionis
05-04-2017, 11:16 PM
I'd pay for a 93 yesterday.

Only $3500 on gun broker.

jeep45238
05-04-2017, 11:35 PM
Only $3500 on gun broker.

Maybe I should clarify - my last daily driver sold for less than my $800 bicycle that I use for commuting now. Bring that price down to a premium AR or so, and I'd be interested in saving up for it. $3500 would go towards a nice downpayment for a diesel or a trailer next year instead (ala Rich).

I'm also learning to love current support systems of parts that are available AND affordable.

Talionis
05-05-2017, 12:03 AM
Maybe I should clarify - my last daily driver sold for less than my $800 bicycle that I use for commuting now. Bring that price down to a premium AR or so, and I'd be interested in saving up for it. $3500 would go towards a nice downpayment for a diesel or a trailer next year instead (ala Rich).

I'm also learning to love current support systems of parts that are available AND affordable.

I bought my current daily car for $800 (don't ask how much has gone into if after that, including the head swap, suspension upgrades etc.) And my commuter bike was a rough old Chicago Schwinn before I got my hands on it for practically nothing. My comment was definitely facetious. I can't really imagine spending that kind of scratch on a gun I would barely ever shoot at this point in my life.

While I would like to say the expansion of HK-USA means the ultimate reduction in prices, I really don't think that will happen. One of the main reasons I don't think so is that HK is currently differentiated as a premium brand, and as such tends to be a bit more immune to conditions like the soft market we are seeing now.

jeep45238
05-05-2017, 12:10 AM
Touché (and I'm nowhere close to offended - just sleep deprived).

Plus it's hard to develop new products when your current ones are selling for minimum profit margins.

ffhounddog
05-05-2017, 03:38 AM
A P2000 or P30 Combat Competition, P30SD, P30/P2000 Combat Tactical,

There is some models that are not made yet.....

rayrevolver
05-12-2017, 03:12 PM
There is a thread in the HK section of Arfcom, where someone ran into a HK Rep and asked about what they plan to build.

1 - Single stack pistols
2 - 22lr pistols & rifles
3 - Some sort of bolt action rifle "similar to Ruger RPR", we discussed 6.5cm, .308, etc.

It has the HK Arfcommers all fired up except maybe the guys who think #1 = P7. I was hoping to hear MP7 (that I would never buy, don't need another caliber), SP5/MP5 (that I might buy after I sell a kidney), and the new HK 433 (which I probably can't afford).

Chef
05-13-2017, 09:51 AM

Quality has zero to do with German people vs American people. It all comes down to process, and they won't change their processes.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk