PDA

View Full Version : Ameriglo Hack front with I-Dot Pro or Pro Operator?

Shellback
12-23-2011, 07:12 PM
I've been running the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights on 2 Glock 19s and a G26 for the past year. After doing some low light stuff I want to convert the rear sight to a tritium sight, standard is plain black.

The I-Dot Pro uses a centered tritium vial presenting a 2 dot vertical alignment when used in conjunction with a tritium front sight. The Pro Operator uses 2 tritium vials in a more traditional 3 dot set up when used in conjunction with a tritium front sight.

What is your preference and why? I've used the 3 dot before but this would be my first 2 dot vertical system and I'm trying to understand the pros & cons before I place my order.

VolGrad
12-23-2011, 09:09 PM
I transitioned from 3 dots to the HACK setup about a year ago now. I have been going by the mantra "dots on the rear are distracting" for some time. I'm starting to think it's BS.

I still have a couple of pistols setup with 3 dots and one with the iDots. I know if the bump happens in the night or if I'm accosted in a dark parking lot I'd prefer to have something glowing on the rear too. My primary carry gun at the moment has a HACK up front and Operators on the rear. I think they are operators, can't recall the difference. It's an old school basic steel housing, yellow dots, no outline, regular width notch.

I prob won't go out and buy all new rear sights anytime soon but will prob go back to them if/when things need to be changed.

If I were starting from scratch I might go 2 dots, however, since I've used 3 dots extensively I'll prob go back to them.

jlw
12-23-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm running the Hacks on several pistols, and I have the I-dots on one. The U shaped notch gives me a little trouble, but that's just me, and it doesn't cause me to pan the concept as I really like it.

vcdgrips
12-23-2011, 09:37 PM
In late 2009, I had some .140 wide green trit do, square orange painted Ameriglo front sights mated to .180 wide Glock profile all black rears and shoot them really well in a couple of outdoor classes. Then it got cold and I shank a couple of shots at 15yrds during an indoor night qual two or three week in a row.

I got a set of I -Dot rears and felt like I was shooting high with them so I wen back to a 3-dot set up which is what i had been shooting the vasyt majority of my Glock time since 1991

I gave the green .125 front front 1.25/ yellow .180 rear Pro Operators a shot and never looked back. I paint the front with "hot tamale" colored fingernail polish from Wal-Mart 1.77 a bottle) and give rear a swipe with a black Sharpie. The result, for me is a very bright front with what seems like an all black rears duirng the daylight, but the rear yellow trit still glows thru enough to give me the visual feedback I want in lowlight/trasitional light settings.

I would go Hack front with a PO rear based on the perameters of your question.

YMMV

Shellback
12-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Just thinking about running the I-Dot and trying to envision a sight picture in low light I would think there might be issues with "vertical stringing" for lack of a better term. I think the Hack front with the Pro Op would lend itself to a better sight picture in terms of accuracy as VCD recommended.

jlw
12-23-2011, 10:28 PM
In late 2009, I had some .140 wide green trit do, square orange painted Ameriglo front sights mated to .180 wide Glock profile all black rears and shoot them really well in a couple of outdoor classes. Then it got cold and I shank a couple of shots at 15yrds during an indoor night qual two or three week in a row.

I got a set of I -Dot rears and felt like I was shooting high with them so I wen back to a 3-dot set up which is what i had been shooting the vasyt majority of my Glock time since 1991

I gave the green .125 front front 1.25/ yellow .180 rear Pro Operators a shot and never looked back. I paint the front with "hot tamale" colored fingernail polish from Wal-Mart 1.77 a bottle) and give rear a swipe with a black Sharpie. The result, for me is a very bright front with what seems like an all black rears duirng the daylight, but the rear yellow trit still glows thru enough to give me the visual feedback I want in lowlight/trasitional light settings.

I would go Hack front with a PO rear based on the perameters of your question.

YMMV

I have the Pro Operators on several pistols and like them.

Were you using a weapon light or flashlight during that qual?

ToddG
12-24-2011, 11:16 AM
I have been going by the mantra "dots on the rear are distracting" for some time. I'm starting to think it's BS.

QFT.

I'm the first to agree that bright fiber optic dots or huge white outlines on the rear sight are annoying. But having one or two ordinary tritium capsules back there? Seriously, if your ability to focus is so easily distracted then you need to assess your mental discipline.

BTW, unless they make different heights, I believe the Pro Operator is too low to be compatible with the Hack front.

Shellback
12-24-2011, 11:45 AM
BTW, unless they make different heights, I believe the Pro Operator is too low to be compatible with the Hack front.

I emailed Ameriglo to verify that the two are compatible and they said it's their most popular phone in request and there wouldn't any issues. Thanks for the heads up though.

Also, they just received a new batch of the Pro Op as they'd been out of stock for a while if anyone's interested in ordering. Use code COP for 15% off discount.

vcdgrips
12-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Jlweems
The COF called for 2 shots at the target which exposed for 3 secs at 15 yrds. No WML or flashlight. Their use was precluded during that part of the qual. The indoor range lighting simulated typical side street night time lighting. Start position is the low ready. I may have been starting from the holster to add to the challenge. I would have to check what my shooting notes say about that.

Shellback
01-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Ameriglo Hack front with Pro Operator rear. No live fire yet but from dry firing and playing night time ninja I'm really happy thus far.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8602/p1020379fp.jpg

jlw
01-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Ameriglo Hack front with Pro Operator rear. No live fire yet but from dry firing and playing night time ninja I'm really happy thus far.

I had that setup on a pistol for a while and like it well enough. You'll get good use out of it.

Shellback
01-07-2012, 06:59 PM
I had that setup on a pistol for a while and like it well enough. You'll get good use out of it.

Out of curiosity what are you using now?

jlw
01-07-2012, 07:11 PM

The pistol on which I had the pictured setup was sporting a set of Pro Operators. I picked up a Pro Glo front sight and put it on that pistol thus creating the setup. It now has a full set of Hacks and the Pro Operators are on a G34.

I am using Hacks or Pro Operators on almost everything. I do have one pistol with a set of I-dots but have few rounds down range with them.

tmoore912
02-14-2012, 12:21 PM
I just ordered the Ameriglo Hack with I-Dot Pro Yellow Rear. Looking forward to trying it out.

COP coupon code was still good for 15% off.

tmoore912
02-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Just installed them. Hopefully I will shoot them tomorrow.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/Glock%2019%203rd%20Gen/2012-02-18_16-50-02_442.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/Glock%2019%203rd%20Gen/2012-02-18_16-51-13_987.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/Glock%2019%203rd%20Gen/2012-02-18_16-47-47_766.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/Glock%2019%203rd%20Gen/2012-02-18_16-46-42_578.jpg

JBP55
02-18-2012, 09:00 PM
I have installed the Pro Glo front and the Pro Operator rear on quite a few Glocks (several were mine) with no complaints. I have also installed a few with the Pro Glo front paired with the .180 serrated black rear with good results.

Crawls
02-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Just installed them. Hopefully I will shoot them tomorrow.

Great pictures. That setup looks sweet.
Thanks!

Sparks2112
02-19-2012, 07:13 PM
My dad just ordered the CAP green front with yellow iDOT rear for a gen4 21. I'm curious to see how those work out.

s0nspark
02-19-2012, 07:40 PM
After going through various combinations of Ameriglos over the years I now have orange ProGlo fronts with I-Dot rears on my carry/training guns. I think this setup offers an almost perfect balance between speed and precision...

PPGMD
02-25-2012, 03:51 PM

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8602/p1020379fp.jpg

That would be a perfect combination if they machined a flatter face on the front of the rear sight IMO.

I've been telling Trijicon that they need to come out with a sets of their HD sights with yellow rear tubes too.

Gary1911A1
02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
That would be a perfect combination if they machined a flatter face on the front of the rear sight IMO.

I've been telling Trijicon that they need to come out with a sets of their HD sights with yellow rear tubes too.

I like. Thanks for the good picture. Think I'll try this sight combination next.