PDA

View Full Version : Defensive practice

ken grant
05-01-2017, 06:47 PM
Due to my old eyes (79) , very bad hand tremors and not so good balance , I have changed my way of defensive practice and no longer use paper targets.

I scatter fired shot shells on the berm and shoot at them at different points from the hip up to chin level at 3-10 yds. after drawing and one hand only and before the tremors can start.
I hit a few , move a few , miss a lot but always close enough to defend myself from them.

I scatter them high , low , right and left and never shoot the same one twice in a row unless I decide on a double tap which is seldom.
YES , I do pick them up afterward and save them for the next time.
I mostly use my G19 and a lot of times with the AA .22 kit on it.

NH Shooter
05-01-2017, 06:52 PM
Ken, I hope I can do that well when I'm 79 - kudos!

Vinnie Bagadonuts
05-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Sounds like a good way to practice. The different heights and angles would be helpful in a real world defensive situation. Keep it up.

blues
05-02-2017, 10:23 AM
I admire your resolve, Ken, it's inspiring. Keep at it and do not go gently...

Totem Polar
05-02-2017, 10:29 AM
Pragmatic, and fun. Works for me.

ken grant
05-14-2017, 07:07 PM
A friend gave me about 50 full man sized silhouette paper targets and I thought I might shoot them to see if my shot shell shooting has improved my defensive shooting.
I plan to draw , shoot one handed at 1/4 hip , 1/2 hip , 3/4 hip and chin/nose level at 3- 10 yds. and see how effective I can be after my other point shooting at the empty shot shells .

I wish I could get good enough to use fired .22 LR brass which always litter the range instead of shot shells but I don't see that working well .