PDA

View Full Version : The 'ringing' in my ears?

Glenn E. Meyer
04-30-2017, 06:14 PM
Wait - this isn't going where you think, so get ready to drop the lecture on ear protection.

I go to the carbine match today in San Antonio, I see some other p-f members but didn't get a chance to say hi. I shoot with my squad of friends. I shoot decently at my sloth like pace. The gun runs well. We all go to lunch at a great mom and pop Mexican restaurant. I recommend it. Papa Gallo's on 281 just south of the exit to 1863.

Anyway, I get home and go into the garage to get out of my stinky clothes and I start to ear some fluttering, tweety sounds. At first I think it is a cricket but it follows me into the house. My wife doesn't hear. I go upstairs and I still hear it and it goes on and off and fluctuates.

Damn, I have screwed my ears even with muffs and plugs. Oh, my God. It's still there. Ok, I start to unpack the gun bag and take out the electronic muffs. The sound is loud. The two ear pieces of the muffs are together. I separate them as I take them out of the bag and the sound stops. Guess what, I didn't turn them off. I thought I did but you have to hold the power button down and I didn't do it long enough. When together, they were feeding back and making the sound. Phew!!! That was a weird one.

Now, if I would stop seeing the red glowing circle with a dot in it, I'll be ok (just kidding). Fun stuff on our squad - one guy was shooting an old bolt action Mosin-Nagant. You have to make one head shot with a bolt gun and he did. Neat to see. He did it for fun.

Luke
04-30-2017, 06:39 PM
Are they sordins? Mine will make some aweful noises if I put them together while
They are on.

jeep45238
04-30-2017, 06:57 PM
Lucky - I have that every day of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinson
04-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I hear that kind of stuff all day every day, along with a jet engine, a smoke detector, and a hissing sound. Glad it's not the case with you though!

Glenn E. Meyer
05-01-2017, 10:40 AM
They were MSA muffs. It was so weird for awhile.

RJ
05-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Yeah, my Sordins do that.

Found a decent explanation here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2wjkof/eli5_why_does_audio_feedback_always_sound_like_a/

I've had this happen sometimes at work, when we were working with a customer's ANR (active noise reduction) helmets for a simulator. You have to distance the speaker from the mic, or insert something inert (I use my head -- *rim shot* :cool:) between.

GuanoLoco
05-01-2017, 10:52 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feedback

voodoo_man
05-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Yes Sordins do this.

orionz06
05-01-2017, 11:49 AM
All of my ear pro does this.

blues
05-01-2017, 12:40 PM
All of my ear pro does this.

I thought it was all about heterodyning signals and feedback. Something I vaguely remember from many, many moons ago.

FNFAN
05-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Wait - this isn't going where you think, so get ready to drop the lecture on ear protection.

I go to the carbine match today in San Antonio, I see some other p-f members but didn't get a chance to say hi. I shoot with my squad of friends. I shoot decently at my sloth like pace. The gun runs well. We all go to lunch at a great mom and pop Mexican restaurant. I recommend it. Papa Gallo's on 281 just south of the exit to 1863.

Anyway, I get home and go into the garage to get out of my stinky clothes and I start to ear some fluttering, tweety sounds. At first I think it is a cricket but it follows me into the house. My wife doesn't hear. I go upstairs and I still hear it and it goes on and off and fluctuates.

Damn, I have screwed my ears even with muffs and plugs. Oh, my God. It's still there. Ok, I start to unpack the gun bag and take out the electronic muffs. The sound is loud. The two ear pieces of the muffs are together. I separate them as I take them out of the bag and the sound stops. Guess what, I didn't turn them off. I thought I did but you have to hold the power button down and I didn't do it long enough. When together, they were feeding back and making the sound. Phew!!! That was a weird one.

Now, if I would stop seeing the red glowing circle with a dot in it, I'll be ok (just kidding). Fun stuff on our squad - one guy was shooting an old bolt action Mosin-Nagant. You have to make one head shot with a bolt gun and he did. Neat to see. He did it for fun.

Could be worse. Set your bag down in Vegas and the nearest scorpion will make a beeline for it!

LittleLebowski
05-01-2017, 01:15 PM
This forum is slipping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM

Treecop
05-02-2017, 02:49 PM
Lucky - I have that every day of my life.

An outgoing mortar a foot from my head, without ear pro, did it for me!