PDA

View Full Version : Zero turn mowers

LittleLebowski
04-29-2017, 04:03 PM
Just got one, it's nice to get two hours per week of my life back.

pangloss
04-29-2017, 04:05 PM
This is my third summer with one. I hated to spend the money, but it's been more than worth it. They are really amazing machines.

Joe in PNG
04-29-2017, 04:11 PM
A few years back, when I was overseeing grounds maintenance at our rather large Madang property, we needed about 3-4 guys to keep the grass cut. One running a Massey tractor towing a bush hog, the others running push mowers. This was usually a 3-4 day process, and the diesel & petrol bill was killer.
We ordered a diesel Skag zero turn from the states, and it has made a huge difference. The total manhours for just cutting grass was pretty much cut by 2/3rds, and the fuel bill went down a ton.
Plus, the thing is still running, 4 years later.

Odin Bravo One
04-29-2017, 04:17 PM
Buying a new mower soon myself. Though I'd guess I'll be paying someone to mow the four acre lawn for this year.

LittleLebowski
04-29-2017, 06:36 PM
Buying a new mower soon myself. Though I'd guess I'll be paying someone to mow the four acre lawn for this year.

Just wait and see if your idiot friend breaks his new zero turn before buying one :cool:

MVS
04-29-2017, 06:38 PM
I have been considering it. It takes me 5 hours to mow with my current rider.

LOKNLOD
04-29-2017, 07:10 PM
What kind did you get? How big a yard are you mowing with it?

Arbninftry
04-29-2017, 07:12 PM
With my push mower it takes 5 tanks, and close to ten hours. It SUCKS. I really need one too. I am shopping for one now. Why the Cub over other Brands? Was there something that sealed the deal for you?

Surf
04-29-2017, 07:19 PM
I have 5 acres of mowable lawn and the best investment was a riding lawn tractor. I opted for a JD X500 as opposed to a zero turn due to somewhat uneven and hilly terrain in some areas. I also tow a small trailer that does some light hauling and carries a 15 gal sprayer set up and all of my pruning equipment. I also haul hogs fairly often with it. Some places on my property won't handle a zero turn but the X500 can get in and out and I really don't always want to jump on a full size tractor. If I had only cutting duties and flat grounds, zero turn all the way.

Oddly enough the guy who owned the property before me push mowed the entire place. When he finished, he pretty much had to start all over.

LittleLebowski
04-29-2017, 09:00 PM
What kind did you get? How big a yard are you mowing with it?

Cub Cadet RZT 50. 2 acres. I like the mower. 3 year warranty, fabricated deck, Kawasaki motor.

Bobcat
04-29-2017, 09:16 PM
I just ordered a Kubota Z125S 54" Zero Turn Mower.
I haven't received it yet but sitting on one it seems nice.
Kubota is running a financing deal, and over 10% off.
I have been using a Craftsman tractor, a 54" to cut about 1.6 acres of grass on a hill, for about 10 years.
Broke several things on it, and it doesn't like climbing my sand mound once it gets warmed up.
Prior to that I had a Honda riding mower that developed engine issues.

Odin Bravo One
04-30-2017, 01:08 AM
I don't really see the need for a zero turn just yet. I think I'll be better served with a standard type riding mower. I'll have four acres of lawn starting out, but I am also waiting on a new survey to clearly and cleanly identify the remainder of my future property, some of which is lawn, and I haven't had a good opportunity to do my own terrain from a boots on the ground perspective to really see what I need. So i'll likely be paying someone else to mow for the remainder of the mowing season this year unless I can get out there again before I move in. Though, that isn't terribly likely, so..........best way to solve any problem: throw money at people and let them solve it for you.

Shellback
04-30-2017, 07:50 AM
Closing on our new house in 2 weeks and doing some research on the same subject. Lawn is 1 1/4 acres and I'm debating between a lawn tractor and zero turn.

Time savings VS versatility (mainly a snowblower). Only thing for certain is I'll be buying a Deere.

BN
04-30-2017, 08:07 AM
About 2 years ago I got a Kubota 2370 tractor. 60" cut, 4 wheel drive, 23 hp. diesel engine and power steering. I mow about 2 acres or so including yard, shooting range and a lot of walking paths through the woods and fields. I got a brush hog with it but I've hardly used it at all. The mower deck will cut right through the rough stuff. It is power take off rather than belts and the diesel has lots of power. The tractor has a pretty tight turning radius and with the power steering it is pretty easy to get close while trimming. Around here I see a lot more orange tractors over green.

My old riding mower was a Craftsman with a 20.5 hp. Kohler engine and a 46" cut.

I looked at zero turn but I have a lot of hillside.

Shellback
04-30-2017, 08:23 AM
Around here I see a lot more orange tractors over green.

One of my best buds owns the local Deere dealership. He's about 2 miles away, buying anything else would put us at 20 miles away, so proximity is a huge plus and the support for any mechanical issues or maintenance is top notch.

And he'd probably shit himself if there was anything but green in our garage.

ralph
04-30-2017, 08:51 AM
One of my best buds owns the local Deere dealership. He's about 2 miles away, buying anything else would put us at 20 miles away, so proximity is a huge plus and the support for any mechanical issues or maintenance is top notch.

I juxt bought a X-570 myxelf... not to rag on you,or your dealer buddy, but, I made the mistake of buying a D-140 from Lowes..it had 75 hrs on it and when it got warm after about a half hour of mowing, it would literally crawl up the banks of my yard. The tranny was starting to go. The transmissions on the D series are sealed units, and cannot be serviced, when they go, they're replaced, for about $1000. Deere should be ashamed of themselves for putting their name on such a POS. If I could've afforded it, I would've bought a Kobota, but I could'nt, so, I went with a much better grade of Deere. The D-140 was sold , and the new owner was told about the transmission. I will say this, if I start having problems with the X-570 , ( other than minor stuff like belts, etc)it'll be the last Deere I ever buy.

LittleLebowski
04-30-2017, 10:52 AM
I would lean towards whatever is local to you. Nearly every dealer near you should have some sort of zero dollars down, 0% financing deal with warranty.

If you're hard on stuff you own (like me) and/or don't have a perfect, smooth lawn, I'd recommend a fabricated deck. If your time is valuable and you have a large lawn, get the zero turn. I'm still quietly amazed that I don't have to budget over three hours to mowing the lawn.

LittleLebowski
04-30-2017, 10:53 AM

I'd buy from him if I were you, proximity is key plus you have a personal relationship.

LittleLebowski
04-30-2017, 10:55 AM
With my push mower it takes 5 tanks, and close to ten hours. It SUCKS. I really need one too. I am shopping for one now. Why the Cub over other Brands? Was there something that sealed the deal for you?

The Cub dealer is closest to me. I have big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot) nearby but you want a local dealer with an in house mechanic and people that know you. The price, the fabricated deck, and the Kawasaki engine were all things I liked on top of the proximity.

ralph
04-30-2017, 11:22 AM
The Cub dealer is closest to me. I have big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot) nearby but you want a local dealer with an in house mechanic and people that know you. The price, the fabricated deck, and the Kawasaki engine were all things I liked on top of the proximity.

That's exactly why I went to the JDdealer this time..Kawasaki engine, in house mechanic, whom I spent some time asking questions about the mower I bought, plus this is a local dealer. All I can say is, if you have a large lawn to mow, don'nt bother looking at a mower from the big box stores, go to the dealer, you'll get a better mower, service after the sale, parts if you should need them, and frankly, peace of mind, knowing there's somebody local who supports it.

LOKNLOD
04-30-2017, 11:44 AM
I "heard" someone say the other day that if you have hills, don't do zero turn...but didn't get good clarification as to why. Anybody got experience to confirm/deny that thought?

I've only got a hair over 3/4 acre lot, but it's odd shaped, bumpy, and hardly a lick of it is flat; I'm on a sidehill really. I push mowed it once when we moved in, which was the impetus I needed to plink down the cash for a rider, but with mowing and edging it'll easily eat the majority of a Saturday. The rider is has the "Tight turn" smaller radius but still just a tractor and I do a lot of back and forth and extra loops to maneuver. My dad wants (genuinely needs) a new tractor-style and I've been considering making him a deal on it and stepping up to something that'll maximize my time. I enjoy doing it myself I just don't want to spend so long doing it...

LittleLebowski
04-30-2017, 11:48 AM
It depends on how much of a slope you have. Zero turns use the tires going inverse of the motion forward to "brake" and if it's wet grass or otherwise poor traction...you'll slide. The steering wheel zero turns negate this some.

A good dealer will be able to assess your lawn for you, bring him pictures, video, and know how much of a slope you have. Failing that, hit up any lawn service guy you see in your neighborhood, ask him for his opinion.

Arbninftry
04-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Thanks LL. The only dealer close by has bad boy mowers. But they are a little more mower than I need.

Trukinjp13
04-30-2017, 05:09 PM
Have a Scag liberty z. Bad little mower for the price. Built like a tank for "residential grade". Have a couple acres and makes quick work of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odin Bravo One
04-30-2017, 05:19 PM
I would lean towards whatever is local to you. Nearly every dealer near you should have some sort of zero dollars down, 0% financing deal with warranty.

Another reason to pay someone to mow until next year. Sugar Mama should be able to just pay cash for one by the start of next year's mowing season. I mean, that side by side ain't gonna pay for itself, and I'll be buying that for myself once the move is complete.

Priorities.

Odin Bravo One
04-30-2017, 08:13 PM
Belay my last......

Guess I'll be financing a John Deere shortly after the move. Was going to try to hold off until next year, but with upwards of possibly 6, or even 7 acres total, and after looking at the inexpensive route......................well, let's just say I decided I don't want to mow the lawn 9 hours each week.

John Deere Green will be blaring in my iPhone the entire time, every time I mow.

Surf
04-30-2017, 08:45 PM
I juxt bought a X-570 myxelf... not to rag on you,or your dealer buddy, but, I made the mistake of buying a D-140 from Lowes..it had 75 hrs on it and when it got warm after about a half hour of mowing, it would literally crawl up the banks of my yard. The tranny was starting to go. The transmissions on the D series are sealed units, and cannot be serviced, when they go, they're replaced, for about $1000. Deere should be ashamed of themselves for putting their name on such a POS. If I could've afforded it, I would've bought a Kobota, but I could'nt, so, I went with a much better grade of Deere. The D-140 was sold , and the new owner was told about the transmission. I will say this, if I start having problems with the X-570 , ( other than minor stuff like belts, etc)it'll be the last Deere I ever buy.I think you may understand this but others who may not, it should be noted that there is absolutely nothing similar about the big box JD and the X series of mowers, especially the 500 and up. In fairness they do have similar color schemes and name on them but they are not related. The X series are tanks in comparison. I have done stuff to mine that probably should never be done to a lawn tractor and it just keeps going.

About 2 years ago I got a Kubota 2370 tractor. 60" cut, 4 wheel drive, 23 hp. diesel engine and power steering. I mow about 2 acres or so including yard, shooting range and a lot of walking paths through the woods and fields. I got a brush hog with it but I've hardly used it at all. The mower deck will cut right through the rough stuff. It is power take off rather than belts and the diesel has lots of power. The tractor has a pretty tight turning radius and with the power steering it is pretty easy to get close while trimming. Around here I see a lot more orange tractors over green.

My old riding mower was a Craftsman with a 20.5 hp. Kohler engine and a 46" cut.

I looked at zero turn but I have a lot of hillside.Bill we are a huge Kubota family. My parents in particular you will only see orange and I also have an L3800, but I have been very impressed with the JDX500. In all fairness the 2370 is now in subcompact tractor territory and not lawn tractor category. Also as much as I love orange, that special orange paint can be pricey.

Belay my last......

Guess I'll be financing a John Deere shortly after the move. Was going to try to hold off until next year, but with upwards of possibly 6, or even 7 acres total, and after looking at the inexpensive route......................well, let's just say I decided I don't want to mow the lawn 9 hours each week.

John Deere Green will be blaring in my iPhone the entire time, every time I mow.My suggestion is definitely not to go the cheap route on a machine for what your going to need. Home depot, Lowes and Sears are not up to task. If you have anything else you want your machine to do besides cut grass on more level ground, strongly suggest tractor style for versatility. If you want to really have more versatility then think subcompact or small tractor with 3pt and PTO. There is a fine line between too little tractor and too much for grass cutting and simple tasks that you don't want a larger tractor for.

Odin Bravo One
04-30-2017, 09:04 PM
I've got a call into the local dealer and hope to hear back from them this week to talk over what I need. Figure once we have it nailed down, they can get it in stock, set it up and deliver it to the house on/about the day we move in.

LittleLebowski
05-01-2017, 01:16 PM
I've got a call into the local dealer and hope to hear back from them this week to talk over what I need. Figure once we have it nailed down, they can get it in stock, set it up and deliver it to the house on/about the day we move in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gSJtYae8bQ

Irelander
05-01-2017, 01:27 PM
I'm picking up a Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle hopefully today. Its used but in good shape. I used my dad's Dixie Chopper when I lived on the family property. Now I live elsewhere and have about 5 acres to mow. My regular riding mower is agonizing to use after using a zero turn for years.

ragnar_d
05-01-2017, 01:28 PM
A good zero turn makes a helluva difference. Growing up, we owed about 3.5 acres with a lot of trees to go around in some areas. We would run 3 tractors (JD 185 w/ 38" deck, JD 318 w/ 50" deck, and a mid 60's Yazoo w/ 60" deck). It would take all four of the family 3.5-4 hours running all three tractors with my dad doing the detail trimming.

Mom and dad traded the old Yazoo and 185 on a 48" Land Pride zero turn. That cut mowing time down to 2.5 hours. The 318 is still used in the rough areas, but that LP will fly and still get a good cut.

Considering I'll be in suburbia hell and .2 acre lots for a year or so, I'll probably not be looking into one. If I get back to God's country and the larger lot then I'll be getting a 36-42" ZTR of some flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1slow
05-01-2017, 05:31 PM
I have been thinking about a new mower. Most things I do with a Ford/New Holland 5030 62 horsepower diesel tractor with a front bucket and a 406 Bushhog.The house is in a 9 acre field and Ag tires cut up the yard.

There is some slope and about 5 acres is smooth the rest has ruts etc... My wife uses a John Deere 42'' cut riding lawnmower and it takes forever to cut the 5 smooth acres. We have a 4 wheeler for trailers spraying etc...

I know very little about zero turn vs not. My tendency is to buy commercial grade equipment. I also want something that does not beat you to death.

Shellback
05-09-2017, 05:41 PM
That's exactly why I went to the JDdealer this time..Kawasaki engine...

I'm pretty locked on with the JD 500M. I'm not sure if the Kawasaki engine is worth the $500 premium over Briggs & Stratton.

Anybody have any experience with the two, or one VS the other?

ralph
05-09-2017, 08:03 PM
I'm pretty locked on with the JD 500M. I'm not sure if the Kawasaki engine is worth the $500 premium over Briggs & Stratton.

I don't have anything to base this on other than a gut feeling, but I believe the Kawasaki engine is a much better engine than Briggs &Stratton, I do know I read about the engine that was in my former D-140 ( Briggs& Stratton) and one of the many complaints was how the castings used for the block were very thin, (cheap) .I also have a push mower that has a B&S engine on it, one of my pet peeves with it is there is no drain plug on the bottom of the engine, so, if you want to change the oil, you are forced to tip the mower over on it's side,,and make a mess in the process. Pretty stupid if you ask me, and this was probably done to save 10 cents on a plug.. I think B&S used to make a high quality product, but, anymore, I'm not so sure.. Ask your dealer and see what he says,or better yet, talk to his mechanic. Myself, I figure buy once ,cry once, you're making a good sized investment in this mower, you might as well get the best engine possible. IMO, that's the Kawasaki...

SJC3081
05-09-2017, 08:25 PM
I bought a well used 2003 Bobcat 48" walk behind mower in 2007 for $1500. I'm very happy, it's nice to have the power to cut tall grass
And speed to cut my acre of grass. Once you use a commercial mower you will laugh at the idea cutting your lawn with homeowner toys.

SJC3081
05-09-2017, 08:32 PM

I have the Kawi engine more power for tall wet grass and more lift for straight cuts. 14 years old and going strong. I don't know if it's needed for a homeowner that doesn't let his grass grow two feet high. My brother in law cuts 40 lawns commercially and went from BS to the Kawi twin and prefers the Kawi.

LittleLebowski
05-09-2017, 09:36 PM
I don't have anything to base this on other than a gut feeling, but I believe the Kawasaki engine is a much better engine than Briggs &Stratton, I do know I read about the engine that was in my former D-140 ( Briggs& Stratton) and one of the many complaints was how the castings used for the block were very thin, (cheap) .I also have a push mower that has a B&S engine on it, one of my pet peeves with it is there is no drain plug on the bottom of the engine, so, if you want to change the oil, you are forced to tip the mower over on it's side,,and make a mess in the process. Pretty stupid if you ask me, and this was probably done to save 10 cents on a plug.. I think B&S used to make a high quality product, but, anymore, I'm not so sure.. Ask your dealer and see what he says,or better yet, talk to his mechanic. Myself, I figure buy once ,cry once, you're making a good sized investment in this mower, you might as well get the best engine possible. IMO, that's the Kawasaki...

Changing the oil on the Kawa is a thing of beauty.

Shellback
05-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the insight gents. For reference I've been comparing:

Deere Z540M
Scag Liberty Z
Kubota Z122E
Gravely ZT XL

All in the same ballpark price range and all seem to get good reviews. Deere wins by a 20 mile proximity, and personal relationship, but I think any of those would be a solid contender from what I've read.

ralph
05-10-2017, 09:44 AM
I bought a well used 2003 Bobcat 48" walk behind mower in 2007 for $1500. I'm very happy, it's nice to have the power to cut tall grass
And speed to cut my acre of grass. Once you use a commercial mower you will laugh at the idea cutting your lawn with homeowner toys.

I don't think a JD-X570 is a homeowner toy (the lowes d-series are) I'm assuming you walk behind this thing to mow. I don't know about you, but I'm not too keen on walking behind a mower to do my lawn. But, if you're happy that's what counts..:p

SJC3081
05-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Ralph
My post did wasn't intended to address you or your mower. I searched your mower,JD X570 nice equipment but definably not a commercial grade mower. It is a very nice high end homeowners model.
I also recognize that my mower is the lowest grade commercial model.

LittleLebowski
05-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the insight gents. For reference I've been comparing:

Deere Z540M
Scag Liberty Z
Kubota Z122E
Gravely ZT XL

All in the same ballpark price range and all seem to get good reviews. Deere wins by a 20 mile proximity, and personal relationship, but I think any of those would be a solid contender from what I've read.

I'd go with Deere because of the proximity and relationship despite the fact that I prefer Kawasaki to B&S.

Shellback
05-10-2017, 01:50 PM
I'd go with Deere because of the proximity and relationship despite the fact that I prefer Kawasaki to B&S.

The Z540M has the Kawasaki. The 535 has the B&S. ;)

I talked to a few of the Deere guys, they recommended the Kawasaki over the B&S, and that seems to be the conclusion on most everything I've read.

ralph
05-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Ralph
My post did wasn't intended to address you or your mower. I searched your mower,JD X570 nice equipment but definably not a commercial grade mower. It is a very nice high end homeowners model.
I also recognize that my mower is the lowest grade commercial model.

Not a problem, I'm still kinda pissed that I got rooked by Lowe's with their D series JD's. Most of the yard guys around here (and there seems to be alot of them) are all using zero turn mowers..Last week, I watched as one of them almost lost it on a rather steep bank on my neighbors yard that faces the back of my house. This simpleton tried to mow across the bank, slipped,ended up in my yard.I've watched these guys and I would'nt let them mow my grass, they're in too much of a hurry, always running, and they do a lousy job. Now that I think about it, I think these guys are about the 3rd or 4th ones that have been hired/fired by the neighbor since I've lived here.

Shellback
05-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Got the new JD.

http://i.imgur.com/KwkGCQH.jpg

Odin Bravo One
07-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Mowed my yard with my new JD Z915E ZT mower.........

Two hours of awesome.

Can't wait for the grass to grow long enough to mow again!!!!

Cookie Monster
07-17-2017, 04:15 PM

Two hours of awesome.

You could come and mow my weed patch anytime.

Odin Bravo One
07-17-2017, 11:28 PM
Not my weeds, not my problem. That's what I always say

LittleLebowski
07-18-2017, 07:51 AM
Got the new JD.

Like it? Nice to save all of that time, eh?

LittleLebowski
07-18-2017, 07:54 AM

Two hours of awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6DC-Zt1Lbc

Odin Bravo One
07-18-2017, 09:02 AM
He any relation to Charlie Walser got that place outside of Sanderson?

LittleLebowski
07-18-2017, 09:13 AM
He any relation to Charlie Walser got that place outside of Sanderson?

Niiice. Now I need to watch that today while I reload.

Gun Mutt
07-18-2017, 11:19 AM
I thought that driving a zero turn would probably be the most intuitive thing ever...I was very, very wrong. I'll take the model with a damn steering wheel and a brake pedal.

Shellback
07-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Like it? Nice to save all of that time, eh?

Yep, runs great, and the lawn looks awesome. Mowing the lawn is a chore and I like to get it done as quick as possible.

Odin Bravo One
07-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Been a week already? Ok. Guess I gotta mow the lawn again........I need a cooler though. You can get pretty sauced in two hours if you set your mind to it.

BJXDS
08-16-2017, 08:13 PM
OK Now I am in the market:

I have all 3 dealerships within the same distance, but the Deere Z540M and Kubota Z122E are considerably more than the Cub Cadet RZT LX series. Any ideas, the specs look comparable?

What the hell am I missing?

LittleLebowski
08-16-2017, 09:20 PM

I have all 3 dealerships within the same distance, but the Deere Z540M and Kubota Z122E are considerably more than the Cub Cadet RZT LX series. Any ideas, the specs look comparable?

Warranty? I love my Cub Cadet RZT.

Bobcat
08-16-2017, 09:50 PM
My wife loves our Kubota z125s. She's been cutting our grass every 3 or 4 days

Shellback
08-17-2017, 05:17 AM

Who treats you better? Have you test drove the different models? If they're equidistant then it puts you in the driver seat in terms of negotiations. Drive each one and see what fits you best. Who takes care of their customers after the sale?

I have the Deere Z540M and really like it. My neighbor has a Cub Cadet (model unknown) and he borrowed my mower the other day due to his CC needing engine work. He said the Deere was more comfy, much faster, and cut better. Sample of one and all but he's going to be replacing his CC with a Deere in the near future. Not only did he like the mower better but proximity to our local JD plays into that and he knows a guy who knows the owner. ;)

If you're tall, and get a Deere, I highly recommend the foot extensions. Also, you can negotiate price just like on a car.

BJXDS
08-17-2017, 08:00 AM
Everything I hear from people is that they really like the brand they have, I think they will all do the job. I have dealt with all the shops in the past and service is not an issue. AS far as negotiation, they all seem to sell at sticker.

I must be missing something because it looks like all the models are comparable, but the CC is $1000-1500 less expensive? There is about a $500-700 + or - between the Kubota and JD depending on specific model.

As a side note, have y'all run them thru leaves yet? I get buried in the fall, and I hope the ZT saves me the same amount of time as it does when grass cutting.

1slow
09-01-2017, 11:26 PM
Looking at a SCAG Tiger Cat 54" or a Turf Tiger 61''. Both are more $ than I want to spend but cut very well, dealer brought out them and a Cheetah for demo. Neither my wife or I liked the Cheetah, it felt too much like a too softly sprung car.

The Turf Tiger 61'' ($11,199, 287 a month 48 months)was more comfortable and the Briggs Vanguard 35 HP had good power. The Tiger Cat 54'' ( $8599, 189 a month 48 months) Kawasaki 23 HP beats you a little more but still is impressive. My ground is hars clay and quartz rock and I was told the Turf tiger would hold up better.

The bigger mower beats you up less and at 60 I think about this a bit.

Any thoughts /

Baldanders
09-02-2017, 11:05 AM
I thought that driving a zero turn would probably be the most intuitive thing ever...I was very, very wrong. I'll take the model with a damn steering wheel and a brake pedal.

It took me awhile to develop the light hand on the controls my Hustler Fastrak requires for any kind of decent safety. But after a few near tipovers, I've learned to be gentle. It just takes practice.

LittleLebowski
09-02-2017, 12:12 PM

It's not hard, you just need to practice.

SD
09-10-2019, 08:13 AM
Kicking This Thread; like to hear feedback on these zero turns after the past 2 years pros/cons please. My 18 year old Ventrac 3000 is quickly dying, our replacement will be a grass cutting machine only. Thanks

Darth_Uno
09-10-2019, 09:03 AM
I have a Gravely 60" with Kawasaki motor. I don't recall the model # but it's the mid-tier version, between the "homeowner" model and the commercial unit. I love it. Takes about 40 minutes to cut 2 acres. My old 46" Husqvarna rider was fine, but it took over 2 hours for the same yard.

Cost $6000 but it will last me quite a long time with basic maintenance, which so far has only been annual oil changes. In 3 years it shows I've only got 75 hours on it. I haven't even sharpened the blades.

I haven't even used it myself this year. I refuse to give my son, 12, an allowance for doing nothing but I pay him to cut the grass.

Stephanie B
09-10-2019, 09:51 AM
A friend of mine sold his. He liked to use his lawn-mowing time to ruminate on things. He found that the zero-turn mower took more concentration to run then did a regular old lawn tractor. The zero-turn did a better job, but it wasn’t enjoyable.

YMMV.

LittleLebowski
09-10-2019, 10:08 AM
A friend of mine sold his. He liked to use his lawn-mowing time to ruminate on things. He found that the zero-turn mower took more concentration to run then did a regular old lawn tractor. The zero-turn did a better job, but it wasn’t enjoyable.

YMMV.

I got the advice of “fly that bitch like it’s Airwolf” and took it to heart :D

Poconnor
09-10-2019, 11:46 AM
I bought a cub cadet riding mower 5 years ago. It has the sealed transmission that failed right after the warranty expired. I can still use it if I keep adding fluid to the transmission. It’s a pain in the ass. The hub seals failed and the cub cadet leaks . Cub cadet built their reputation on international harvester built tractors. Right now I am using a John Deere x720 that came with my current house. It’s a beast. It remarkable what it will cut. The cons for my John Deere- it is slow, it takes too long to cut the lawn. (2.7 acres) and it doesn’t cut as nice as a zero turn. All my neighbors have zero turns. I plan on getting a zero turn but I am keeping the John Deere

SD
09-10-2019, 01:47 PM
This point is something I would have never considered, but some of my best daydreaming and deep thinking has taken place while mowing the weeds down, thanks

YMMV.

rayrevolver
09-10-2019, 01:54 PM
My hand-me-down 20 yr old John Deere ran about 2 mph. It took 2 hours to cut 1.6 acres with a 36" deck. With my Z540M (48" deck) I am down to 47 minutes, with a best time of 44 minutes when I was racing around. I have no fast cars or motorcycles, this mower is my only v-twin... don't judge me.

And I need less weed wacking in general.

With respect to the mower, most folks agree that at the low/mid-range of mowers you want the Kawasaki v-twin engine. This drove me to a few specific models but having a local Deere dealer made me look in that direction. I found a lightly used (15.6 hours on the Hobbs) Z540M and it still has 3 more years of warranty. I came very close to running to Lowes for the Ariens 52" which was on sale. End of the day, the used mid-range Deere was within $100 of a new Ariens 52".

The 48" deck barely fit inside the 5x12 trailer. I drove a few hours into Virginia and knew it was going to be tight.

The "sealed" transmissions are maintenance free... although the manufacturers discuss oil service/changes in their manuals (Tuff Torq for me, Hydro Gear is another brand). Mobil 5w-50 is what I plan to use when I get to that point in hours.

There is big difference between the Kawasaki engine manual and John Deere manual with respect to maintenance like oil/filter intervals. Kawasaki is now recommending 40 weight (5w-40 is DELO XSP Synthetic is what I use since I am an oil snob) vice 30 weights for hot temps. John Deere still says 30 weights. I plan once a year engine oil/filter changes.

Baldanders
09-10-2019, 10:10 PM
I took a bit of advise from a friend who mowed a lot of lawns: "If you're in it for the long haul, go commercial grade." Don't buy crap from the big boys. The thicker steel up front is worth it. I am very happy with my Hustler 56" Fastrak. It's the Korth of mowers. It can hit 11mph....which isn't a good idea. Plenty of fun and it gets the job done quickly.

1slow
06-06-2022, 01:33 AM
Got sidetracked , still looking for a commercial zero turn.

I am in Ridgeway SC, near Columbia, Camden etc.

I have been thinking about a new mower. Most things I do with a Ford/New Holland 5030 62 horsepower diesel tractor with a front bucket and a 406 Bushhog.The house is in a 9 acre field and Ag tires cut up the yard.

There is some slope and about 5 acres is smooth the rest has ruts etc... My wife uses a John Deere 42'' cut riding lawnmower and it takes forever to cut the 5 smooth acres. We have a 4 wheeler for trailers spraying etc...

I know very little about zero turn vs not. My tendency is to buy commercial grade equipment. I also want something that does not beat you to death.
————————

Looking at a SCAG Tiger Cat 54" or a Turf Tiger 61''. Both are more $ than I want to spend but cut very well, dealer brought out them and a Cheetah for demo. Neither my wife or I liked the Cheetah, it felt too much like a too softly sprung car.

The Turf Tiger 61'' was more comfortable and the Briggs Vanguard 35 HP had good power. The Tiger Cat 54'' Kawasaki 23 HP beats you a little more but still is impressive. My ground is hard clay and quartz rock and I was told the Turf tiger would hold up better.

The bigger mower beats you up less and at 64 I think about this a bit.

Any thoughts /

LOKNLOD
06-06-2022, 09:51 AM
I'm on a 3/4 acre suburbia lot and finally got a smaller zero turn this year. My dad's old Craftsman tractor finally died and he didn't really have money for a new one at the moment so I horsetraded him my Craftsman tractor and bought a new Toro. I went that route because I could get it from a local long-standing family owned dedicated lawn equipment store that sells and services for lots of the commercial outfits in the area, rather than grabbing from a big box store. Funny enough they actually downsold me a bit after spending some time talking to the sales guy about my yard and needs. I'm pleased so far. My yard is very "textured" with slope, sidehill areas, and weird angles and so far it's kicking ass and taking names. It's taken some getting used to driving it but as I've gotten comfortable it's a lot faster because my old tractor required a lot of extra Austin Powers eleventeen point turns and loops to make corners.

Borderland
06-06-2022, 09:52 AM
Cub Cadet RZT 50. 2 acres. I like the mower. 3 year warranty, fabricated deck, Kawasaki motor.

Don't know about the mfr but Kawasaki motors will run forever. My neighbor has a JD zero turn with a Kawasaki motor. I think it's about 15-20 years old. He mowed 13 acres with it for a long time. Now mows about 2 acres with it.

Paso Quito
06-06-2022, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=1slow;1360751]Got sidetracked , still looking for a commercial zero turn.

————————

I was looking for a zero turn with suspension a year ago & couldn't find anything in stock anywhere. I finally found a Bad Boy Rebel 72", Kaw 1000cc, and suspension seat (lower end commercial mower). The mower has no suspension but the seat is fantastic. I mow about 2 acres of "lawn" and 10 acres of pasture (rolling with 30' elevation change in about 400'). The lawn is pretty smooth and I can fly if I want to. The pasture is rough and I only cut it when the grass is 8-12" tall. I can't imagine cutting the pasture without either a suspension or suspension seat... it would beat me to death. As it is, I can get cruising along & end up bouncing the front wheels 3-4" off the ground... that's my signal to slow down a bit.

The 35hp is great, no problem cutting long wet grass & weeds. The 72" deck is a bit more challenging because of the lines it will make when the mower is tipped sideways like when you are mowing across a slope and one side of the deck rides on the flat, or when you mow a ditch. It's also pretty easy to scalp the yard when you straddle a hump.

My ground is sand and I have to be very careful or I'll tear the heck out of things. I can tear things up just accelerating too fast, don't have to be turning but turning makes it even easier to tear up the ground.

I've used the mower to pull a chain harrow to break up horse manure and to tow a 41 gallon sprayer. The sprayer was a little challenging because I have a hard time maintaining a consistent speed.

I've got 115 hours in one year & have done my own maintenance. The hydros for the drive are serviceable and changing oil & filters wasn't hard, engine oil/filter was a breeze. I've had only one problem with the mower. The fuel gauge quit working so I have to pull it out & take it in for a replacement.

I had never driven a zero turn and it took a couple of times mowing to feel really comfortable. I found that I could get fixated on the front deck wheel instead of the outside edge of the deck. This is a recipe for taking out a fence post! A 1400 lb mower will loosen a t post pretty well even if you are going slow!

Overall, I am very pleased with the mower. I feel like I got a lot of bang for my buck.

1slow
06-08-2022, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

We had decided on SCAG TURF TIGER 2, were debating on 61" vs 72" deck. My wife and I had both driven this machine and liked it.

All the reviews are that it is very tough and holds up well on difficult ground.

Local dealer strongly recommends the Vanguard motor over the Kawasaki.

Went to do the 4 year no interest loan 3% origination fee, about $495 fee on $16,499.

Evidently if all your CC are paid off, you have no debt, own your house and other properties you must have a co-signer.

I can cut a check but liked the 0 rate 3% origination fee option.

I am now reconsidering.

1slow
06-08-2022, 01:15 PM
Made a minor application change, they accepted application.

Turf Tiger 2 61" 40hp Vanguard, lights , trailer hitch, sunshade.

Cory
06-08-2022, 08:05 PM
I've been working for my Dad's mowing company since January. In 6 months I've put somewhere over 200 hours on machines. Probably more like 235ish. Mostly a set of two Toro 4000 Pro mowers (with upgraded HDX transmissions) with 52" decks. Occassionally on a Toro 2000 with a 48" deck.

When I eventually move on, in roughly 10 months to a year, I'm not sure I could ever use a regular riding mower again. We had a loaner Gravely when we were down a mower for service. I hated it. Just didnt cut as fast, or run as smooth. The Toro are getting put through hell, and we run them far more and far harder than most. While we have experienced a fair share of breakage its less so than other compabies that see similar hours with other brands. It's also all been covered under warranty. The biggest pain is that they aren't set up well to tow a trailer or stuff like that. We make it work when needed, but it's a bit of a cob job.

dgchunk
06-08-2022, 08:20 PM
Don't know about the mfr but Kawasaki motors will run forever. My neighbor has a JD zero turn with a Kawasaki motor. I think it's about 15-20 years old. He mowed 13 acres with it for a long time. Now mows about 2 acres with it.

I’ll second the Cab Cadet RZT with Kawasaki engine. I bought an RZT 54 in 2011 and it still runs like a champ. I mow about 3 hours a week with it around house and barn