PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure

SecondsCount
04-27-2017, 10:22 AM
I have been testing extruded powder in my recent purchase, a Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure (http://leeprecision.com/stand-mounted-powder-measures/)
http://leeprecision.com/files/products/90699.jpg
(photo is from Lee's website)

My first reloading press came in a Lee kit that included the original Perfect Powder Measure and it has served me well for over 25 years. Don't get me wrong, I think some of the stuff that Lee makes is junk but they also have some innovative and cost effective solutions for the reloader. Their powder measures are one of the good things in my opinion.

When I recently discovered the Deluxe version, I thought I would give it a try as I am trying to reduce the amount of time that I am reloading ammo while still getting the benefits of doing so, one of those benefits being precision. My experience so far has been limited but I am impressed with how repeatable the new unit is.

IMR 8208XBR is a short grain extruded powder that I like to use in 223 loads and flows pretty well through my other measures but my Chargemaster struggles sometimes due to the way the powder trickler works, causing a lot of rejected throws. Setting the new Deluxe measure for 24.0 grains, I had .1 grains of variance of 10 charges. Color me impressed! I am going to be loading up some of the new 80 grain Hornady ELD-M bullets and testing them this weekend. 10 of them I am going to trickle on the Chargemaster and the other I am just going to let the new measure do it's thing, and then take them to the range. My guess is that there will be no difference.

The next test was a little more difficult as I tried Alliant Reloder 15. This is a longer extruded powder and can be difficult to get any sort of consistency from a measure as I usually get .3 grains of variance from the old Perfect measure, and up to .4 grains from my Hornady LNL measure. The Deluxe measure was set for 24.0 grains and I threw 10 charges. 9 of the 10 charges were within .1 grains, and one of them was off by .2 grains. The key to getting a repeatable throw from a measure is how consistently you work the handle. In this case the single .2 grain error could have been me but I was still impressed by this repeatability.

More information to follow as I get some time behind the new measure.

Redhat
04-27-2017, 08:01 PM
I'd be interested to hear how it does with ball powder if you ever try it. I have the old PPM and it works great with extruded but I've heard they leak with ball.

SecondsCount
04-28-2017, 11:36 AM
I'd be interested to hear how it does with ball powder if you ever try it. I have the old PPM and it works great with extruded but I've heard they leak with ball.

I confirmed with Ramshot TAC that the Deluxe PPM will leak a few flakes with every throw. It started after about 20 throws. It does have an elastomer wiper inside which may help reduce the issue compared to the old PPM.

Every powder measure I have ever tried will leak a little ball powder with every throw, including my Dillon, Hornady LNL , Lee PPM, and Lee Auto Disk.

Redhat
04-28-2017, 05:29 PM
I confirmed with Ramshot TAC that the Deluxe PPM will leak a few flakes with every throw. It started after about 20 throws. It does have an elastomer wiper inside which may help reduce the issue compared to the old PPM.

Every powder measure I have ever tried will leak a little ball powder with every throw, including my Dillon, Hornady LNL , Lee PPM, and Lee Auto Disk.

Nice to know but not really an issue for me as I load .223 on the press with the disk measure with no problems. The PPM is used exclusively for extruded powders and I have no complaints.

LittleLebowski
08-14-2017, 09:14 AM
I found this review....through Google. Awesome! Nice to see a review on PF, I know it's a real review that I can trust. Researching powder measures right now.

LittleLebowski
08-14-2017, 01:56 PM
Bought it , but I chose the RCBS stand (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/125792/rcbs-advanced-powder-measure-stand) for its smaller bench footprint instead of the Lee one.