PDA

View Full Version : Blasting at a steel match

Sterling Archer
04-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Video from a recent steel match. I wanted to focus on accuracy over speed and came away an 86% hit rate so I can the match a success.

https://youtu.be/iz8brHMPVgI

taadski
04-24-2017, 10:10 PM
The finish on that pistol is horrible. I don't know how you can stand it! 😈

Sterling Archer
04-24-2017, 10:29 PM
The finish on that pistol is horrible. I don't know how you can stand it! 😈

I wear gloves so the finish doesn't come off on my hands. :D

kmanick
09-08-2017, 10:18 PM
good god am I hooked. ran it 5 times my best time was 7 seconds even. I was using an optic and this is the first time I've ever done this
being clocked for speed. We can't draw and shoot amy my club , at this club I was at tonight they are big into "competitive shooting"
so they have dedicated pistol ranges where you can practice this skill.
I was losing a bit of time "finding the dot" on my draw, once I found it I ripped. First time was almost 10
seconds :( , so I got better with each round I did.
Several of the other guys there were pulling sub 5 second times.....I've got a ways to go, but man oh man what a great way to
raise your skill level shooting under pressure. A lot of VP9's.....which surprised me , I didn't see one Glock G34 or 17.
I was using my M&P 9L , gotta say it performed like a champ :cool:

rdtompki
09-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Video from a recent steel match. I wanted to focus on accuracy over speed and came away an 86% hit rate so I can the match a success.

https://youtu.be/iz8brHMPVgI
Is that hit rate total targets divided by total rounds? What was the format of this match?

Sterling Archer
09-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Is that hit rate total targets divided by total rounds? What was the format of this match?
Pretty much. A basic match is 125 rounds if shot perfectly with no Moses. So if I fire 140 my hit percentage is 89%, as an example.

The format is 5 stages, each stage has 5 strings of fire, those strings of fire are usually 5 rounds. Lots of 5s... The slowest of your 5 strings is dropped and the remaining 4 is your stage time. Sometimes option plates are included that are higher difficulty shots but offer a time reduction when hit.

It's funny this thread gets busy 5 months after posting. :D I've since shot a lot more and better matches. The last match I also shot my M&P Shield and finished with a 95% hit rate, I missed 6 shots in the match.

rdtompki
09-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Pretty much. A basic match is 125 rounds if shot perfectly with no Moses. So if I fire 140 my hit percentage is 89%, as an example.

The format is 5 stages, each stage has 5 strings of fire, those strings of fire are usually 5 rounds. Lots of 5s... The slowest of your 5 strings is dropped and the remaining 4 is your stage time. Sometimes option plates are included that are higher difficulty shots but offer a time reduction when hit.

It's funny this thread gets busy 5 months after posting. :D I've since shot a lot more and better matches. The last match I also shot my M&P Shield and finished with a 95% hit rate, I missed 6 shots in the match.

Thanks for the info. My wife and I are dedicated steel challenge shooters. Looks like your match is similar format with the exception of the occasional "option" plate. I wish more nearby clubs had SC or SC-like matches since the distances we have to travel in CA are excessive.