PDA

View Full Version : Something I've always wondered about regarding the pronunciation of the word "coyote"

LittleLebowski
04-24-2017, 11:15 AM
I caught Joe Rogan's and Steve Rinella's podcasts with Dan Flores regarding his (great) book on the American Coyote (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0465052991) and Dan finally explained why people pronounce the word "coyote" differently. Dan Flores said that it boils down to if you shoot coyotes, you use the two syllable pronunciation of the word and if not, you're almost certainly using the three syllable version of the word.

Anyway, that book and American Serengeti are great books. Check'em out and the podcasts as well.

(OP is from Wyoming, shoots coyotes and uses the two syllable pronunciation)

blues
04-24-2017, 11:24 AM
(OP is from Wyoming, shoots coyotes and uses the two syllable pronunciation)

Var-mints? :p

Peally
04-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Coy-o-tees is normal to my ear with coy-otes being the redneck version ;)

LittleLebowski
04-24-2017, 11:27 AM
Var-mints? :p

"crick" not "creek" :D

blues
04-24-2017, 11:54 AM
"crick" not "creek" :D

Yep, we have one right behind the house here in the holler. (And not a few of them four legged trickster varmints as well.)

Robinson
04-24-2017, 12:24 PM
I wonder how the Aztecs pronounced it.

Anyway, I've often wondered why there seems to be such hatred for coyotes. I had to deal with them sometimes when I lived in rural Ohio -- they tended to be pet murderers -- but I did not develop a hatred for them. Is it because they are such a threat to pets and livestock?

Oh, and back in Ohio I had a roof on my house. Now here in Georgia I have a "ruef".

CCT125US
04-24-2017, 12:30 PM
In the same vein, you also have coons. Even my daughter claims racoons wear the mask to hide all the evil. The kids do love the live trap, which in reality is not the best name for it.

walker2713
04-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Anyway, I've often wondered why there seems to be such hatred for coyotes.

They not only prey on livestock(chickens, sheep, goats, beef...especially the young) they also depredate game birds, young deer and other wildlife. On the positive side, they excel at cleaning up carrion of one kind or another.

I don't "hate" them, but for those of us who enjoy hunting and killing them, we emphasize the former rather than the latter! You don't have to clean them, and you don't have to eat them.

Most public wildlife agencies classify them as nuisance wildlife or, as in Louisiana as "outlaw quadrupeds," along with feral hogs, fox and armadillos.

blues
04-24-2017, 12:49 PM
I wonder how the Aztecs pronounced it.

Anyway, I've often wondered why there seems to be such hatred for coyotes. I had to deal with them sometimes when I lived in rural Ohio -- they tended to be pet murderers -- but I did not develop a hatred for them. Is it because they are such a threat to pets and livestock?

Oh, and back in Ohio I had a roof on my house. Now here in Georgia I have a "ruef".

Well, the neighbor lady and her husband have a pair of stripe-ed cats living with them. Unfortunately they don't live under their ruuhf.

To make things worse, my dog, who does not suffer squirrels and cats wants a piece of their Himalayan that thinks my porch is open to it from time to time, pretty badly.

BTW, I don't mind coyotes either if'n they ain't bothering us and just passing through.

5pins
04-24-2017, 06:43 PM
If they're bringing Mexicans across the border it's pronounced with three syllables.

JSGlock34
04-24-2017, 07:37 PM
My introduction to the word was through Saturday morning educational TV...

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--hT5tVPiG--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/wzkgorv6mqoxhjjbm8cx.png

JDM
04-24-2017, 07:53 PM
The podcast in question was great, and I am halfway through American Coyote and it is very cool so far.

Luke
04-24-2017, 09:30 PM
I live in Alabama, my sister is hot, I used to love chewing tobacco, I haven't not owned a junk car since I was 14...and I still say kie-oh-tee.

Malamute
04-24-2017, 10:47 PM
Its a Mexican word, I say it Mexican style.

Do you say tor-till-a or tor-tee-ya? Kay-sa-dill-a, or kay-sa-dee-ya?

I used to shoot them, but over time realized I didn't really have anything against them.

Coyotesfan97
04-24-2017, 10:59 PM
I'm in Arizona. I give them the Spanish three syllable version when I see them. Which coincidently I rode my mountain bike into a little pack of them today. I saw four but chances are there were more in the brush. I yelled Koi yo tay at the one I saw first and they trotted off. Two of them went to the flanks before moving off. They went to the top of a levee and I got some pics of them. I see coyotes all the time. As long as they leave my dogs alone I leave them alone.

https://translate.google.com/m/translate?hl=en

Maple Syrup Actual
04-24-2017, 11:06 PM
Where I grew up, it's a two-syllable word: KYoot. Or maybe where my dad grew up? I don't remember anyone else talking about them.

But I don't shoot them.

I do say "Arizona kyOHtees" though, I guess because that's how I hear it all the time.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Coyotesfan97
04-24-2017, 11:07 PM
The Coyote is part of Navajo folklore and is considered a Trickster.

Sensei
04-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Well, the neighbor lady and her husband have a pair of stripe-ed cats living with them. Unfortunately they don't live under their ruuhf.

To make things worse, my dog, who does not suffer squirrels and cats wants a piece of their Himalayan that thinks my porch is open to it from time to time, pretty badly.

BTW, I don't mind coyotes either if'n they ain't bothering us and just passing through.

Personally, I think they are a potential solution to much of our society's problems. This article, written by a colleague of mine, is well worth the 5 minutes...

http://journals.lww.com/em-news/Fulltext/2006/02000/If_Coyotes_Were_as_Big_as_Minivans.8.aspx

Malamute
04-24-2017, 11:10 PM
The Coyote is part of Navajo folklore and is considered a Trickster.

Ma'ii

HCM
04-24-2017, 11:12 PM
If they're bringing Mexicans across the border it's pronounced with three syllables.

Pronounced the same when they are bringing Other Than Mexicans across the border.

HCM
04-24-2017, 11:16 PM
Personally, I think they are a potential solution to much of our society's problems. This article, written by a colleague of mine, is well worth the 5 minutes...

http://journals.lww.com/em-news/Fulltext/2006/02000/If_Coyotes_Were_as_Big_as_Minivans.8.aspx

Dueling and Apex predators have great potential to improve our society.

RolandD
04-25-2017, 12:48 AM
I use two syllables when referring to a single one and three syllables for plural.

AMC
04-25-2017, 04:03 AM
Run into Kahyohtees on a regular basis....Both around where I live and at work. Yes....In San Francisco. There's a breeding pair with a den up on Twin Peaks, and a good size male has taken up residence in Buena Vista Park, smack dab in the middle of town. Saw him yesterday......Bunch goofy tourists were taking his picture from like 10 yards away. I know some fool neighbor is feeding him. Out where I live, the dog and I have come across them a couple times out walking in the woods. She's dog crazy like a 16 year old girl at a Beatles concert in '67, but shows no interest in Coyotes....Clearly knows they ain't dogs like her. And she's a bit big to be prey for them (70lbs), and Daddy don't ever leave the house but well-heeled. I'd hate to have to shoot one, but I'd get over it pretty quick.

Peally
04-25-2017, 08:19 AM
I live in Alabama, my sister is hot, I used to love chewing tobacco, I haven't not owned a junk car since I was 14...and I still say kie-oh-tee.

What's her number?

blues
04-25-2017, 08:26 AM
Run into Kahyohtees on a regular basis....Both around where I live and at work. Yes....In San Francisco. There's a breeding pair with a den up on Twin Peaks, and a good size male has taken up residence in Buena Vista Park, smack dab in the middle of town. Saw him yesterday......Bunch goofy tourists were taking his picture from like 10 yards away. I know some fool neighbor is feeding him. Out where I live, the dog and I have come across them a couple times out walking in the woods. She's dog crazy like a 16 year old girl at a Beatles concert in '67, but shows no interest in Coyotes....Clearly knows they ain't dogs like her. And she's a bit big to be prey for them (70lbs), and Daddy don't ever leave the house but well-heeled. I'd hate to have to shoot one, but I'd get over it pretty quick.

I've had them run right by me and my Weimaraner, (90 lb male), in years past and recently me and my 60lb Boxer / Staffie mix on our property or the walk down to the mailbox. They've never caused me or mine any issues and it's really the local dogs that I see chasing deer from time to time.

By and large the coyotes have been pretty good neighbors in our experience but we don't have small children or animals.

Vinnie Bagadonuts
04-25-2017, 02:33 PM
One of my favorite gun manufacturers is Sig. Because I'm not carrying anything called Heckler and Cock.

We've had cat's and small dogs carried of by kiotees here in Florida. I have been told of numerous cases by eye witnesses. But here in south Florida gaters and pythons are much more troublesome.