PDA

View Full Version : Beretta PX4 Storm - Underrated is an Understatement!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

LangdonTactical
04-20-2017, 06:59 AM
It’s no secret that I am a Beretta guy and have been a Beretta 92 fan since I can remember. I started working on the PX4 Compact project because I wanted something smaller and just as capable. I realized then that I hadn’t given the PX4 Storm a chance – it has to be one of the most underrated pistols of all time.

Many of you may have read or follow the thread I started about the PX4 Compact. After about 18 months of hard use, I have put over 70,000 rounds through three different PX4 Compacts. The main test gun had just over 52,000 rounds through it when I shipped it back to Beretta for their inspection. Hmmm… that’s a lot of rounds without any issues. “This is a capable and reliable gun,” I thought to myself, “How can I make it better for what I need in a gun package.”

The PX4 Compact Carry is what I think addresses many of the areas of improvement that I found on the standard compact gun and turned it into one great little carry gun. By all accounts, this gun has been very well received and we are seeing more and more fans of this little gun pop up all over the country. With over 322,000 views, the PX4 Compact thread on the Pistol Forum is showing that popularity.

Given the success of the PX4 Compact Carry, I decided to show the Full Size some love. At SHOT Show this year Beretta and I got serious and started making plans to work on the PX4 Storm Full Size. These discussions about the full-size PX4 lead us down the path of doing a test and making it public. Beretta was on board and the plan was put in motion.

And so it begins; I picked up the gun the week after SHOT Show. With the experience that I already had with the compact, I knew I wanted to do a few things to the gun right off the bat. I thought I might as well get started as far as I got with the Compact modifications. I replaced the standard levers with the Beretta Stealth levers, which also converted the gun to a G model. I modified a set of Ameriglo sights and installed them (same dovetail but the front sight on the compact has a much wider base that needed to be narrowed). I did a trigger job including a Wilson Combat #12 hammer spring (I have full confidence in this hammer spring in the PX4 after nearly 60,000 flawless rounds in three different guns). The same trigger job as the compact I shot for the last 18 months. I also stippled the grip the same way I ended up doing on my compact PX4s. I also replaced the recoil spring assembly with one of the solid units from the Beretta Pro-Shop as well as adding the large magazine release button. I was ready to hit the range and make some once fired brass.

At this point, I have already shot just over 10,000 rounds (10,341 to be exact) through the PX4 full-size. I have had three ‘stoppages’ in that time frame. Two of the stoppages were failures to go into battery during a slide lock reload for time. Both happened in about the same 400 rounds of shooting and I am convinced that it is a shooter-induced malfunction. On the second one, I took a close look at my hand and the gun after the stoppage. I was pushing my thumb onto the side of the slide, just above the slide stop, and slowing it down on the return. (see photo below) I did another 15 slide lock reloads after I discovered that, being careful not to make that mistake, and have not had another issue since then. The third stoppage was a slide lock early while shooting on the move during a demo in a class. My guess is this was also a shooter-induced issue as it has not happened again after over 3000 more rounds through the gun.
Thumb pushing on the side of the slide
Corrected thumb location, just pushing on the latch

I have set several personal shooting records for myself on several of my standard drills and I have to say that I am very impressed with this gun and a little annoyed with myself for not giving it a shot sooner.

I am actually surprised this gun isn’t more popular – why have I just ‘discovered’ it?. I would guess that it may be the fact that it arrived about the same time DA/SA guns started to lose favor and striker fired pistols became the go-to-gun.

At this point, I believe that DA/SA guns are making a major comeback in the tactical shooting world and the PX4 platform brings a lot to the table. It has the same fire controls as the beloved Beretta 92/M9, but in a polymer framed gun that saves quite a bit of weight in your holster and three different versions of safety levers that are all convertible to a de-cock only “G” configuration. Factory built extended magazine buttons, solid guide rods, improved trigger groups, D hammer springs, flush and lanyard loop hammer spring caps, 17 and 20 round magazines, three different size back straps, and dovetail front and rear sights are all available for this gun – it has all the features of a new modern service pistol. Not to mention, it’s available at a reasonable price backed by a 500-year-old manufacturer that is an icon in the industry.

So what gives, why is it not more popular? Maybe it is because it is not a striker-fired gun. Maybe it has been under-marketed, but everyone seems to know it. Maybe it is because it has a reputation for reliability issues, some of which was talked about here on Pistol-Forum. I am not really sure. My 70,000 rounds through the compact versions tells me that reliability is not an issue. And my first 10,000 rounds through this gun tell me that this is a pretty reliable gun - stay tuned, I have 39,659 more rounds to go.

TCFD273
04-20-2017, 07:23 AM
Looking forward too it.

I'm definitely planning on going by the Beretta booth at the NRA show and handling the compact carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rauchman
04-20-2017, 07:25 AM
deleted.....double post

rauchman
04-20-2017, 07:27 AM
Excellent thread. Thank you!!!!

Your PX4 Compact and Full Size threads have inspired me to make the PX4 my next pistol purchase. I've come back to the 92 platform after some years with Glocks, and to a smaller degree Sigs. I've pretty much moved away from Sigs entirely as the 92 series works better for me, although I still have my Glocks. Living in NJ makes a pistol purchase more complicated than purchasing on a whim, so I rely on threads like yours to help guide future purchases. As mentioned, I've been following your PX4 threads with great interest and after all the success you, Clobbersaurus and others have had, it's solidified my decision to make the PX4 FS the next "one". Not to mention, Beretta makes 15rnd mags for the fullsize (NJ = 15rnd mag restriction), and they can be gotten relatively cheaply.

Just to make sure I'm reading your thread correctly, you're anticipating a Langdon / Beretta collaboration on the fullsize like you did for the Compact? I'd hate to go through the jumping of the hoops of a purchase only to find out the Ernst approved PX4 Fullsize would come out after.

Again, thanks for the excellent threads!!!

Zincwarrior
04-20-2017, 07:35 AM
What are the DA / SA trigger pull weights on this model? The wife has a standard CC version. Other than the more cumbersome takedown it is an excellent pistol and very soft shooting in the hand in comparison to comparable M&Ps we have.

spinmove_
04-20-2017, 07:36 AM
If I were starting out from scratch right now, I'd probably look really really hard at these. They seem like really solid pistols with easily tuned and shootable triggers and easy conversion to G kind of seals the deal. Needs more sight options. 10 round magazines need to be vetted. Pistol is definitely NOT marketed enough. SFA is still the current hotness right now.

Get more trainers to teach TDA properly and you'll start to see more of a shift back to that. Logistically it doesn't make sense for me to switch from Glock right now. Get Dawson Precision to make more sights for 92s and get them to make something for PX4s.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Zincwarrior
04-20-2017, 08:05 AM
If I were starting out from scratch right now, I'd probably look really really hard at these. They seem like really solid pistols with easily tuned and shootable triggers and easy conversion to G kind of seals the deal. Needs more sight options. 10 round magazines need to be vetted. Pistol is definitely NOT marketed enough. SFA is still the current hotness right now.

Get more trainers to teach TDA properly and you'll start to see more of a shift back to that. Logistically it doesn't make sense for me to switch from Glock right now. Get Dawson Precision to make more sights for 92s and get them to make something for PX4s.

Just a note: Beretta makes adjustable sights for them. A quick check on Brownells shows adjustable sights and multiple types of night sights. A fiber optic sight option would be good.

Doc_Glock
04-20-2017, 08:08 AM
Why is the PX4 not more popular? I don't know. I do know that when I looked at one last week a female gun enthusiast at the store said:

"I am sure it's a great gun, but that thing is really ugly."

Can't comment myself because I am more of a form follows function person.

DAB
04-20-2017, 08:09 AM
My full size 9mm with G levers, stealth slide release, and large mag release is my daily carry.

farscott
04-20-2017, 08:12 AM
For those of us who like the ubiquity and ease of service that Glock provides but want a hammer-fired pistol, the PX4 family might be a great alternative. One of the pluses about the Glock is how one can use G17 magazines in G19 and G26 pistols. It allows one to carry a larger reload for a small, concealed pistol. Do the PX4 full-size magazines work in the Compact?

The other issue is making the PX4 family as ubiquitous as Glock in local stores. I am not sure how Beretta does that, but I can find Glock magazines, sights, and holsters at any gun store; Beretta guns, of any flavor, not so much.

spinmove_
04-20-2017, 08:12 AM
Just a note: Beretta makes adjustable sights for them. A quick check on Brownells shows adjustable sights and multiple types of night sights. A fiber optic sight option would be good.

Dawson already makes a fiber front for the 92 dovetailed slides. Just need more front options as well as PX4 front options as well as rears for all of that.

spinmove_
04-20-2017, 08:17 AM
For those of us who like the ubiquity and ease of service that Glock provides but want a hammer-fired pistol, the PX4 family might be a great alternative. One of the pluses about the Glock is how one can use G17 magazines in G19 and G26 pistols. It allows one to carry a larger reload for a small, concealed pistol. Do the PX4 full-size magazines work in the Compact?

The other issue is making the PX4 family as ubiquitous as Glock in local stores. I am not sure how Beretta does that, but I can find Glock magazines, sights, and holsters at any gun store; Beretta guns, of any flavor, not so much.

I think the ubiquity starts with trainers and LE. That's how Glock did it and they weren't exactly the most popular in the beginning. Get more trainers and LE using your stuff and people take notice and want to copy that. The more copiers, the more proliferation. The more proliferation, the more the market sees the need to adapt to that change.

MSparks909
04-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only two national level trainers that I'm aware of that advocate, prefer and use a TDA gun in their training classes. Mr. Langdon and Mike Pannone (CZ). Virtually every other well-known firearms trainer uses some type of striker fired gun, the overwhelming majority being Glock. When I took my first DeFoor pistol class two years ago, I was the *only* shooter in the entire class not running a Glock. I ran my Brig Tac. As much as I want it to, I don't think we'll see the arrow swing back towards TDA guns on a mainstream level. Just look at all the latest striker fired polymer entrants we've had in the last few months. The APX, P10C, FN 509...the market is flooded with manufacturers offering "their" ideal version of a striker fired gun. The market clearly wants striker fired guns. Enthusiasts are the ones driving the sale of TDA and other hammer guns (1911/2011s).

I was a "Glock guy" when I first started seriously shooting. Shot them for 2-3 years before I got motivated to try DA/SA because of what I read on this forum. I still own a few Glocks and I will reach for them in *very* specific situations, but for day to day use I'm now officially a "TDA guy." Its taken me about a year or so and LOTS of $ spent trying different TDA guns to find the ones that meshed with my preferences, but I've finally settled on Beretta for 95% of my defensive and competitive shooting needs. I don't have near the shooting ability or experience that Mr. Langdon has (and I probably never will), but I've become a huge fan of the PX4 series over the past few months. My PX4 CC is my go-to carry gun, and I'm going to start using my full size PX4 in some classes and in some matches. If you haven't tried one and you're a fan of TDA guns, you're doing yourself a disservice.

*To clarify, I will reach for my G17 or G21 in very unique circumstances: when hunting (primarily waterfowl), or when going on multi-day hiking trips. The only reason I don't choose Beretta in those circumstances is because they are more difficult to detail strip if I were to fall in the marsh/swamp and top my waders & gun (happens more than you think), and the same applies on multi-day hiking trips where I cannot provide armorer-level maintenance to my Berettas while in the field. Contrast that with a Glock, which I can detail strip with a rock and a nail, clean and re-assemble in under 5 minutes. While I have no doubt my Berettas would continue to work in those environments, I don't feel like carrying around punches and an armorers mat/manual in my hiking or hunting packs. Mission drives the gear and all that...

SSGN_Doc
04-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Mr. Langdon, I have enjoyed your thoughts and writings on the DA/SA pistol, as well as your thoughts as they emerged in the PX4 compact. I also started out in handguns as a Beretta fan. I bought my first semi-auto when I turned 21 and it was a 92FS back in 1992. I joined the Navy a year later and became a Hospital Corpsman, when the M9 was very likely to be my only firearm, unless I could get a shotgun issued. Lots of old salts complained about the M9 and the loss of the 1911. I shot a few fleet matches with the M9 and actually surprised a few 1911 shooters. I did eventually switch to a 1911 for Service matches, then operationally I hadn't been able to compete regularly.

As I got more serious about concealed carry I needed something lighter, thinner, and more compact and picked up a police trade in Glock and stuck to it for the last decade and a half. Glock hasn't let me down. It's a hard platform to argue against. The Px4 always looked kind of chunky to me. Since my first pistol was a all metal Italian pistol with more eye appeal it was hard for me to even get past the aesthetics. The rotating barrel was not something that had earned any confidence yet from me either.

I had been strongly considering getting into a polymer compact DA/SA pistol again, and initially was looking at the CZ-P07, and a trip to a gun shop found one and next to it in the case was a Px4 compact and a used Walther P99 AS. With the Compact version coming to market a few years ago I decided to look into the Beretta again a bit more. I found your articles and opinions on this little pistol to feed my curiosity a bit more. I appreciated the thoughtful additions and modifications. I thought it would be nice to have another Beretta in the stable. So, I picked up a compact Storm last month when I found out about the $75 rebate.

My first outing was a disappointment I couldn't get through a mag of ammo without at least 4-5 failures to go into battery with tow pretty proven factory loads, that have run fine in my Glocks, S&W, Sig, CZ, and the trusty 92FS. I was beginning to think I should have jumped on the Walther or CZ. But I'm not usually eager to give up on a first outing. I got home and cycled some dummy rounds and seemed to identify additional friction at the extractor and breech face. I found a small linear burr on the lower edge of the extractor, which seemed to explain the additional drag. I carefully stoned and polished away the burr, and the pistol has run like a top for over 600 rounds now, to include the same ammo it was previously having problems with. My faith in the little Storm is restored. I already have some parts on order to slowly change move my compact into a compact carry with some of my own personal preferences onboard. I will also now begin running defensive ammo through it to find what it prefers. Once I have established reliability, and made the controls second nature again, I should have my custom touches done and be ready to put it into my carry rotation.

Now I will be very interested in seeing the direction of your full size project.

DAB
04-20-2017, 09:40 AM
full size mags will fit into compacts, they stick out a bit as they are longer, but they do function perfectly. the reverse is not true, compact mags do not fit into full size frames, as they are too short.

i carry my full size with 17+1, and a spare 20 round reload for a total of 38 rounds. works for me.

in the other thread, Ernest has experimented with adding the +3 extension to the 15 round compact mags for a 17 round capacity.

i like the full size overall. longer barrel for my HP loads and longer sight radius and slightly longer grip for my large hands.

Olim9
04-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only two national level trainers that I'm aware of that advocate, prefer and use a TDA gun in their training classes. Mr. Langdon and Mike Pannone (CZ). Virtually every other well-known firearms trainer uses some type of striker fired gun, the overwhelming majority being Glock. When I took my first DeFoor pistol class two years ago, I was the *only* shooter in the entire class not running a Glock. I ran my Brig Tac. As much as I want it to, I don't think we'll see the arrow swing back towards TDA guns on a mainstream level. Just look at all the latest striker fired polymer entrants we've had in the last few months. The APX, P10C, FN 509...the market is flooded with manufacturers offering "their" ideal version of a striker fired gun. The market clearly wants striker fired guns. Enthusiasts are the ones driving the sale of TDA and other hammer guns (1911/2011s).

100% agree on all of this. Sometimes, I do think about using my Glock 19 instead of my PX4 CC for carry since it is a bit more comfortable to carry but I have this emotional attatchment to DA/SA as much as I hate to admit but regardless, use DA/SA because of its benefits.

Don't tell anyone but I secretly like shooting DA/SA guns past people's expectations and even outshooting people with striker fired guns. Not saying I'm this exceptional of a shooter but it's one of the little things I enjoy.

MSparks909
04-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Don't tell anyone but I secretly like shooting DA/SA guns past people's expectations and even outshooting people with striker fired guns. Not saying I'm this exceptional of a shooter but it's one of the little things I enjoy.

I get a chubby when I'm able to do this as well. You're not alone :cool:

Olim9
04-20-2017, 11:06 AM
I get a chubby when I'm able to do this as well. You're not alone :cool:

"You can't shoot that gun for shit!"

Lands the DA hit on the B8 at 25 yards

troydobe
04-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Can you put a full size slide on a compact frame?

SSGN_Doc
04-20-2017, 11:21 AM
Can you put a full size slide on a compact frame?

I don't think the dust cover on the compact frame would fully cover the recoil spring of the full size slide asssembly.

DAB
04-20-2017, 11:32 AM
lately i've been shooting my 1988 vintage 92F in IDPA matches. place mid pack. it's not the gun holding me back, it's my skills.

Soggy
04-20-2017, 11:40 AM
I don't think the dust cover on the compact frame would fully cover the recoil spring of the full size slide asssembly.

What about chopping the full size grip to accept the compact mags?

MSparks909
04-20-2017, 11:50 AM

Hmm...

BobLoblaw
04-20-2017, 11:54 AM
You could probably do it, but you'd likely have to epoxy the backstrap on.

LearnedHat
04-20-2017, 11:54 AM

I am pretty new to the pistol shooting hobby and have a lot to learn. My question is what are you looking to accomplish with this modification?

TCFD273
04-20-2017, 11:58 AM

I was a "Glock guy" when I first started seriously shooting. Shot them for 2-3 years before I got motivated to try DA/SA because of what I read on this forum. I still own a few Glocks and I will reach for them in *very* specific situations, but for day to day use I'm now officially a "TDA guy." Its taken me about a year or so and LOTS of $ spent trying different TDA guns to find the ones that meshed with my preferences, but I've finally settled on Beretta for 95% of my defensive and competitive shooting needs. I don't have near the shooting ability or experience that Mr. Langdon has (and I probably never will), but I've become a huge fan of the PX4 series over the past few months. My PX4 CC is my go-to carry gun, and I'm going to start using my full size PX4 in some classes and in some matches. If you haven't tried one and you're a fan of TDA guns, you're doing yourself a disservice.

*To clarify, I will reach for my G17 or G21 in very unique circumstances: when hunting (primarily waterfowl), or when going on multi-day hiking trips. The only reason I don't choose Beretta in those circumstances is because they are more difficult to detail strip if I were to fall in the marsh/swamp and top my waders & gun (happens more than you think), and the same applies on multi-day hiking trips where I cannot provide armorer-level maintenance to my Berettas while in the field. Contrast that with a Glock, which I can detail strip with a rock and a nail, clean and re-assemble in under 5 minutes. While I have no doubt my Berettas would continue to work in those environments, I don't feel like carrying around punches and an armorers mat/manual in my hiking or hunting packs. Mission drives the gear and all that...

Steve Fisher runs a P09 sometimes

About 2yrs ago, IIRC, Defoor posted a pic of a Brig Tac he shot in his class and raved about it (I wonder if it was yours?). That post and following EL is what pushed me over the edge to give DA/SA a go. I purchased a Brig Tac shortly there after. Absolutely love it.

MSparks909
04-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Steve Fisher runs a P09 sometimes

About 2yrs ago, IIRC, Defoor posted a pic of a Brig Tac he shot in his class and raved about it (I wonder if it was yours?). That post and following EL is what pushed me over the edge to give DA/SA a go. I purchased a Brig Tac shortly there after. Absolutely love it.

Yep, that was mine :cool: I'll never forget the first words out of his mouth after he shot it...he looked back at me and said "Holy shit." He borrowed it for a few drills on TD2.

TCFD273
04-20-2017, 12:03 PM
Yep, that was mine :cool: I'll never forget when the first words out of his mouth after he shot it...he looked back at me and said "Holy shit." He borrowed it for a few drills on TD2.

Man that's awesome!

I let a national level instructor shoot mine a month or so ago, same reaction.

SSGN_Doc
04-20-2017, 12:20 PM

IF it were done carefully, keeping in mind about the back strap retention and mainspring/hammer strut spring plug.

rodralig
04-20-2017, 12:27 PM
Oh! Now you guys are giving me second thoughts about selling my full-size PX4 (9mm), with Trijicon sights...

The PX4 was my second one after the G22. And with campaigns from Beretta, got an additional 4 magazines for FREE! Was actually glad, too, when it got taken off the Roster (though it came back a couple of months later).

It’s a pretty gun. Nice form factor. Soft shooting. But then, I mostly practice with my Glock and 1911... Which, unfortunately, impacted my capability with the pistol when I doing some ‘on-demand’ movement drills, ie., forgetting to set the safety lever upon draw, the trigger pulls between DA and SA (was accurate with DA, but LOW with the SA).

My G19 is my current nightstand gun, G22 is competition gun; while my 1911 is just in the safe (I only shoot it when I want some fun). The PX4 is loaded and chambered in a safe in another room (the study).

During a stressful situation/encounter - having mostly getting used to a Glock weapon system, I am NOT confident with the PX4. Paper in an indoor range is fine, but maybe not for anything else.

Should I sell? Or should I not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MSparks909
04-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Oh! Now you guys are giving me second thoughts about selling my full-size PX4 (9mm), with Trijicon sights...

The PX4 was my second one after the G22. And with campaigns from Beretta, got an additional 4 magazines for FREE! Was actually glad, too, when it got taken off the Roster (though it came back a couple of months later).

It’s a pretty gun. Nice form factor. Soft shooting. But then, I mostly practice with my Glock and 1911... Which, unfortunately, impacted my capability with the pistol when I doing some ‘on-demand’ movement drills, ie., forgetting to set the safety lever upon draw, the trigger pulls between DA and SA (was accurate with DA, but LOW with the SA).

My G19 is my current nightstand gun, G22 is competition gun; while my 1911 is just in the safe (I only shoot it when I want some fun). The PX4 is loaded and chambered in a safe in another room (the study).

During a stressful situation/encounter - having mostly getting used to a Glock weapon system, I am NOT confident with the PX4. Paper in an indoor range is fine, but maybe not for anything else.

Should I sell? Or should I not?

Message sent.

Soggy
04-20-2017, 01:23 PM
I am pretty new to the pistol shooting hobby and have a lot to learn. My question is what are you looking to accomplish with this modification?

Better concealability with a full size slide. Chopping a G17 to take G19 mags is not unheard of in the Glock world.

Just throwing it out there as an idea to accomplish the same thing as the full size slide on the compact frame if that isn't doable. Personally I think I'd just be better of with the compact.

LearnedHat
04-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Better concealability with a full size slide. Chopping a G17 to take G19 mags is not unheard of in the Glock world.

Just throwing it out there as an idea to accomplish the same thing as the full size slide on the compact frame if that isn't doable. Personally I think I'd just be better of with the compact.

So the longer slide would get you a more forgiving sight radius and possibly better recoil control? (although I think EL said the compact is the more flat shooting of the two)

ReverendMeat
04-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Had been sticking with the 92 platform for awhile now but after shooting (and subsequently buying) a friend's PX4 CC, I'm strongly considering switching. We'll see what the next couple thousand rounds will tell me, but I'm wondering if there's any update on whether Mec Gar will start making PX4 mags?

MattyD380
04-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Timely post.

After doing some PX4 CC / 92 Compact comparisons over the past few months, I've arrived at a similar conclusion about the PX4 line: it's truly something special.

The subjective shooting dynamics are superlative. Recoil management. Intuitive accuracy/shootabiliy. Ergonomics. I can't think of a gun (that I've had) that hits out of the park in each of those areas. To me, shooting the PX4 compact just feels different than most other guns; and by "different" (in this case) I mostly mean "better."

I'm also baffled by why this gun isn't a staple in the holsters of serious shooters and concealed carriers. Even military and police. Honestly, Ernest's project is what really attracted my interest. And when I demoed a stock compact at a local range, I was sold.

Given that, I guess you could say... most people don't know they should take this gun seriously. Not that they wouldn't. But that's what needs to change. And you see someone like Ernest getting behind it... that's what it takes.

As far as DA/SA...

I'm not sure new gun buyers know enough to know whether or not they should like DA/SA, or striker, or anything else. When you really think about it... DA/SA makes a lot of practical sense. It really is the best of both worlds when it comes to safety and accuracy/shootability. I think Beretta needs to run a campaign on the inherent merits of DA/SA so people understand why it makes sense; especially new gun buyers. Use the PX4s and 92s as kind of the model for that campaign... get Ernest and others as "the voice"... Beretta would basically own that market.

Case and point: Look what Apple did in the early 2000s. Everybody thought the Mac was dead. Now it's what all other computer makers emulate.

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box. But I also wanted to give big thanks to Ernest for starting this.... movement? And for always being responsive, involved and engaged with us customers. Looking forward to the full size and whatever else is on the horizon.

DA/SA fo' life...

HCM
04-20-2017, 11:11 PM

Grip is the hardest part to conceal on any handgun. This mod would improve concealment while retaining the advantage of longer sight radius and the ability to use full sized weapons mounted lights. One drawback of the PX4 Compact is the dust over is too short for all but the smallest WML.

HCM
04-20-2017, 11:13 PM
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/argentina-is-about-to-get-a-ton-of-new-firearms-3a7d560bdcb0

Looks like the Argentine military will be replacing their Browning High Powers with the PX4 storm, also a duty gun for the Buenas Aires police.

LangdonTactical
04-21-2017, 05:50 AM
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/argentina-is-about-to-get-a-ton-of-new-firearms-3a7d560bdcb0

Looks like the Argentine military will be replacing their Browning High Powers with the PX4 storm, also a duty gun for the Buenas Aires police.

That is really interesting. I have heard that the PX4 has done really well for Beretta on the international market with both police and military buyers. Maybe the rest of the world can see that a striker fired no safety handgun is not a good idea for everyone they let carry a handgun?

Hambo
04-21-2017, 06:29 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only two national level trainers that I'm aware of that advocate, prefer and use a TDA gun in their training classes. Mr. Langdon and Mike Pannone (CZ). Virtually every other well-known firearms trainer uses some type of striker fired gun, the overwhelming majority being Glock. When I took my first DeFoor pistol class two years ago, I was the *only* shooter in the entire class not running a Glock.

Do trainers use SF guns because they like them, or because almost everybody uses them? IMO instructors should be able to teach SF, SA, TDA, but the last class I took it didn't seem like that was the case. It was the Glock way or no way.

LearnedHat
04-21-2017, 06:53 AM
That is really interesting. I have heard that the PX4 has done really well for Beretta on the international market with both police and military buyers. Maybe the rest of the world can see that a striker fired no safety handgun is not a good idea for everyone they let carry a handgun?

I don't know. Which pistol a South American country purchases for law enforcement probably has even less to do with technical features and performance than it does in the U.S.

Zincwarrior
04-21-2017, 07:29 AM
Timely post.

After doing some PX4 CC / 92 Compact comparisons over the past few months, I've arrived at a similar conclusion about the PX4 line: it's truly something special.

The subjective shooting dynamics are superlative. Recoil management. Intuitive accuracy/shootabiliy. Ergonomics. I can't think of a gun (that I've had) that hits out of the park in each of those areas. To me, shooting the PX4 compact just feels different than most other guns; and by "different" (in this case) I mostly mean "better."

I'm also baffled by why this gun isn't a staple in the holsters of serious shooters and concealed carriers. Even military and police. Honestly, Ernest's project is what really attracted my interest. And when I demoed a stock compact at a local range, I was sold.

Given that, I guess you could say... most people don't know they should take this gun seriously. Not that they wouldn't. But that's what needs to change. And you see someone like Ernest getting behind it... that's what it takes.

As far as DA/SA...

I'm not sure new gun buyers know enough to know whether or not they should like DA/SA, or striker, or anything else. When you really think about it... DA/SA makes a lot of practical sense. It really is the best of both worlds when it comes to safety and accuracy/shootability. I think Beretta needs to run a campaign on the inherent merits of DA/SA so people understand why it makes sense; especially new gun buyers. Use the PX4s and 92s as kind of the model for that campaign... get Ernest and others as "the voice"... Beretta would basically own that market.

Case and point: Look what Apple did in the early 2000s. Everybody thought the Mac was dead. Now it's what all other computer makers emulate.

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box. But I also wanted to give big thanks to Ernest for starting this.... movement? And for always being responsive, involved and engaged with us customers. Looking forward to the full size and whatever else is on the horizon.

DA/SA fo' life...

I can say for concealed, its blocky as hell. Its substantially thicker and blockier than comparable double column pistols of other makes. There's no way I'd successfully CC a Storm Compact. It would be easier for me to conceal and Officer model then a Compact, and far more comfortable.

MattyD380
04-21-2017, 08:32 AM
I can say for concealed, its blocky as hell. Its substantially thicker and blockier than comparable double column pistols of other makes. There's no way I'd successfully CC a Storm Compact. It would be easier for me to conceal and Officer model then a Compact, and far more comfortable.

Yeah, the PX4 is thick. Do you carry appendix? When I carried at 4:00 a gun's thickness was a major factor in comfort. Felt like my pants were instantly two sizes smaller. Carrying up front, seems like there's more slack in the waistline... thickness isn't really an issue.

Zincwarrior
04-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Yeah, the PX4 is thick. Do you carry appendix? When I carried at 4:00 a gun's thickness was a major factor in comfort. Felt like my pants were instantly two sizes smaller. Carrying up front, seems like there's more slack in the waistline... thickness isn't really an issue.
No, OWB, 3-4 o'clock depending. Actually I wear the same setup I run in matches with just a smaller pistol and one mag. Beware old guys in Hawaiian shirts. :)

MattyD380
04-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Haha. I'll stay vigilant :)

But yeah, if was carrying behind the hip... IWB or OWB... I agree the storm is pretty thick. But it works well up front.

Default.mp3
04-21-2017, 09:22 AM
[Some] friends who were formerly part of "Team Beretta" quit their sponsorships en masse when told they would have to give up their 90-series pistols and begin shooting the PX4.Why did this occur if the PX4 is actually a pretty awesome gun? Was it simply a matter of groupthink?

TCFD273
04-21-2017, 09:27 AM

I was in Buenos Aires last month. The police were rocking Beretta 92's. The military in the airports were also carrying Beretta 92's

MattyD380
04-21-2017, 09:53 AM
Why did this occur if the PX4 is actually a pretty awesome gun? Was it simply a matter of groupthink?

I remember seeing this post too. Good question.

I mean, I guess those guys were professionals who'd been shooting 92s for years. Maybe they just didn't want to switch platforms. Period.

LearnedHat
04-21-2017, 09:58 AM
I remember seeing this post too. Good question.

I mean, I guess those guys were professionals who'd been shooting 92s for years. Maybe they just didn't want to switch platforms. Period.

92 disciples mandated to switch to a polymer frame gun --- what could go wrong?

cclaxton
04-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Ernest, I have a question about the PX4 series guns. In order to get them to fit the IDPA box, they need to be .025in thinner. What is the easiest way to take off .025in?
Also, for the 92 Compact, it needs to be .125in thinner. What could be done to reduce it's thickness? If we can get that information, it will go into a spreadsheet I am building for IDPA legal CCP guns, with minor mods. And, what about the magazines...any issues there? The criteria are:

Length 7.75
Width 1.375
Height 5.375
Barrel 4.375

Thanks, Cody

Zincwarrior
04-21-2017, 10:21 AM
92 disciples mandated to switch to a polymer frame gun --- what could go wrong?

With highly tooled and tweaked pistols, indeed no problem there...

Manbearspider
04-21-2017, 10:29 AM
Fun fact: thanks to the stealth levers, the PX4 Compact Carry model fits in the CCP box for IDPA. Now, I'm still getting used to counting out to 10 on stages, so I bumped myself over a class, but shooting my PX4 CC MOD4 in IDPA felt like what I imagine trying to control a supercar on a country road feels like. It was like the gun was just idling, but it still made anything inside of 10 yards ridiculously easy, and I, by a HUGE margin was the weakest link in the chain. And it was kind of funny; there were only two Berettas at that match, and they were both Langdon specials (my PX4 CC MOD 4, and a 92 Elite IA with a early 2000's Langdon trigger job).

This time last year, I probably wouldn't have even bothered to pick up a PX4 to shoot as a rental (mainly because of the looks I guess), now my PX4CC is probably my favorite gun. I just have to figure out how to pretty it up some more.

cclaxton
04-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Fun fact: thanks to the stealth levers, the PX4 Compact Carry model fits in the CCP box for IDPA. Now, I'm still getting used to counting out to 10 on stages...
What do you mean about the "stealth levers?"
And, you should be loading to only 6 rounds or 8 rounds depending on Division, unless you are referring to something else?
Thanks,
Cody

Manbearspider
04-21-2017, 10:46 AM
The CC has low profile decocking levers that were a little known OEM part that Beretta sells as an end-user upgrade component that they call 'stelth levers'. They take several millimeters off the widest points of the gun, and convert it to a G model.
And I was running in SSP, which has a 10/10+1 start mag capacity

cclaxton
04-21-2017, 10:52 AM
Could someone weigh their PX4 subcompact with an empty magazine and tell me the weight in ounces?
Thanks,
Cody

HCM
04-21-2017, 10:54 AM

Supposedly the South Africa Police Service is replacing their locally produced Beretta 92 copies with the PX4 as well.

As I've mentioned before, the Canadian Border Services Agency adopted the PX4D about 10 years ago and had reliability issues involving the gun locking up. I don't have enough detail to say if this was a design / tolerances issue or a lack of lube / improper lube issue. They are still using these guns however I don't know if those issues were resolved.

HCM
04-21-2017, 10:57 AM
I was in Buenos Aires last month. The police were rocking Beretta 92's. The military in the airports were also carrying Beretta 92's

Per the article, the PD have only bought 1500 PX4's, I'm sure there are many more cops than that in BA. Similar platforms, likely phasing them in gradually.

HCM
04-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Why did this occur if the PX4 is actually a pretty awesome gun? Was it simply a matter of groupthink?

So the Canadian Border Services Agency adopted the PX4D about 10 years ago and had issues with the guns locking up. We also have a member here whose Sheriff's Office issued the PX4 and did not have favorable things to say (since replaced with gen4 Glock 17s..

Both these agencies were "early adopters" and it may have simply been a case of them being unwitting beta testers. Fact is companies often make small "inline" changes to address issues. For example, SIG has made several small inline changes to the 320 Compacts since I bought mine in 2015, including stronger striker springs and reducing the lightening cuts to add mass to the slide.

It also could have been a maintenance / lube issue. 99% of the issues I've seen with my agency's P229R's can be traced to lack of lube or lack of recoil spring changes.

Long story short, just because early PX4's had issues does not mean they still have issues 10 years later. ToddG also wrote a post titled "Trust No One: An Insider's Perspective" discussing how QC etc varies over time. IME it goes both up and down over time.

http://pistol-training.com/articles/trust-no-one-an-insiders-perspective

BobLoblaw
04-21-2017, 11:55 AM

Blockier than what the majority of Americans carry (which coincidentally also rhymes with block)?

MSparks909
04-21-2017, 12:08 PM
Blockier than what the majority of Americans carry (which coincidentally also rhymes with block)?

I personally find my PX4 CC hides better AIWB under a t-shirt (almost always what I'm wearing) than my G19. The blocky slide on the G19 prints more than the rounded slide for me. I barely notice the increased width over the G19, but then again I don't carry behind the hip.

Zincwarrior
04-21-2017, 12:11 PM

Double column semi autos-yes.

BobLoblaw
04-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Double column semi autos-yes.

I'm definitely going to have to disagree with you on that. No modern service handgun is as blocky as a Glock.

Zincwarrior
04-21-2017, 12:40 PM
I'm definitely going to have to disagree with you on that. No modern service handgun is as blocky as a Glock.

I am referencing for concealed carry, not service. Your opinion may differ and thats fine.

Also, friends don't let friends drive Glock. :rolleyes:

BobLoblaw
04-21-2017, 01:33 PM
I am referencing for concealed carry, not service. Your opinion may differ and thats fine.

Also, friends don't let friends drive Glock. :rolleyes:

I'm talking about concealing a service pistol (i.e. G19 and G17 sized guns).

Also, I think you'll find the majority of users here carry Glocks and I'm pretty sure there was a poll a while back confirming this. I carry one so I feel entitled to poo poo on them at my leisure.

DAB
04-21-2017, 01:49 PM
a stock PX4 full size fits SSP. a modified full size, with G levers, and stealth slide release is still 1/8" too tall to fit the CCP box, but a compact Px4 with those same mods fits CCP.

so i shoot my full size in SSP and my compact in CCP.

the compact, with the above mods, used to fit the BUG box, but that got WAY smaller this year.

Ernest, I have a question about the PX4 series guns. In order to get them to fit the IDPA box, they need to be .025in thinner. What is the easiest way to take off .025in?
Also, for the 92 Compact, it needs to be .125in thinner. What could be done to reduce it's thickness? If we can get that information, it will go into a spreadsheet I am building for IDPA legal CCP guns, with minor mods. And, what about the magazines...any issues there? The criteria are:

Length 7.75
Width 1.375
Height 5.375
Barrel 4.375

Thanks, Cody

Zincwarrior
04-21-2017, 01:57 PM
I'm talking about concealing a service pistol (i.e. G19 and G17 sized guns).

Also, I think you'll find the majority of users here carry Glocks and I'm pretty sure there was a poll a while back confirming this. I carry one so I feel entitled to poo poo on them at my leisure.

Gotcha. As noted I am referring to concealing a Storm Compact vs. comparable compact models.

BigT
04-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Supposedly the South Africa Police Service is replacing their locally produced Beretta 92 copies with the PX4 as well.

As I've mentioned before, the Canadian Border Services Agency adopted the PX4D about 10 years ago and had reliability issues involving the gun locking up. I don't have enough detail to say if this was a design / tolerances issue or a lack of lube / improper lube issue. They are still using these guns however I don't know if those issues were resolved.

Yeah the SAPS are replacing their Z88's and B92's with PX4's. It will be a slow process though.

May or may not happen for the specialised units though.

badf00d
04-21-2017, 04:29 PM
LangdonTactical - ok, so I love the PX4CC mod 4 (both of mine!). My LGS has a PX4 full size on sale for $100 off, and the rebate of $75 is still available. Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical inventory is calling to me. The Langdon special edition PX4 Full Size is now in the queue.

Based on how the PX4CC process went, what's your rough guess on when the LTT PX4 FS will be available? And what are your thoughts on the LTT PX4 FS vs the WC BT 92? I don't have a 92, and have only fired the Taurus knockoff.

LangdonTactical
04-21-2017, 06:35 PM
LangdonTactical - ok, so I love the PX4CC mod 4 (both of mine!). My LGS has a PX4 full size on sale for $100 off, and the rebate of $75 is still available. Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical inventory is calling to me. The Langdon special edition PX4 Full Size is now in the queue.

Based on how the PX4CC process went, what's your rough guess on when the LTT PX4 FS will be available? And what are your thoughts on the LTT PX4 FS vs the WC BT 92? I don't have a 92, and have only fired the Taurus knockoff.

OK, so I don't want to over-promise and under deliver. There are a lot of things in the works right now. I will list some and do my best to make the list in order of when I think they will be available;

1. Full-Size PX4 MOD 4 guns available from ROBAR at the same price and configuration as the Compact Carry.
2. PX 4 Compact Carry MOD 5. More stuff that I do to my gun. Spurless Hammer, 17 round Mags, Mag bevel, maybe a cool barrel crown?
3. Beretta 92G Elite LTT. Details on another thread.
4. Full-Size PX4 Carry Comp (or something like that) from Beretta.
5. New safety de-cocker design that is easier to use but still low profile. Some people really struggle with using that Stealth Lever and that needs to be addressed.
(I have made a few prototypes, but to make it right Beretta Italy is going to have to make it)

Ameriglo is working on both T-Cap sights (just like the PX4 CC) and Fiber Optic sights for the full-size.

Keep your fingers crossed and keep talking here on the forum. I am trying to listen and get the right info and decisions made at the right places to build the things that you guys want.

farscott
04-21-2017, 06:51 PM
1. Full-Size PX4 MOD 4 guns available from ROBAR at the same price and configuration as the Compact Carry.
2. PX 4 Compact Carry MOD 5. More stuff that I do to my gun. Spurless Hammer, 17 round Mags, Mag bevel, maybe a cool barrel crown?

Me want!!! Especially if all of the metal parts get NP3. The spurless hammer on the PX4CC is mandatory for me, and I think it would make lots of sense on the full-size PX4 to minimize wear and tear on cover garments. On the barrel crown, I would want something that protects that all-important rifling at the crown.

The idea of a PX4CC with as much ammo on tap as a Glock 17 is amazing.

One other ask: Have Robar stipple the PX4CC frame on MOD 5 or MOD 6. I like stippling much more than the Talon grip.

BJV
04-21-2017, 06:53 PM
5. New safety de-cocker design that is easier to use but still low profile. Some people really struggle with using that Stealth Lever and that needs to be addressed.

Dear Signore Santa,

I have been a good boy. Please bring me #1, #3, and #5.

MSparks909
04-21-2017, 06:54 PM
What would the PX4 Carry Comp be?

LangdonTactical
04-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Me want!!! Especially if all of the metal parts get NP3. The spurless hammer on the PX4CC is mandatory for me, and I think it would make lots of sense on the full-size PX4 to minimize wear and tear on cover garments. On the barrel crown, I would want something that protects that all-important rifling at the crown.

The idea of a PX4CC with as much ammo on tap as a Glock 17 is amazing.

One other ask: Have Robar stipple the PX4CC frame on MOD 5 or MOD 6. I like stippling much more than the Talon grip.

So, the issue with stippling is two-fold. One, I don't want to do that. I am not that good at it and don't really want to become good at it either. It takes way too much time to do it right, and I just don't have that time.
Two, the better answer is to get Beretta to build the gun with a better texture to the grip from the start. These things take time.

farscott
04-21-2017, 07:01 PM
So, the issue with stippling is two-fold. One, I don't want to do that. I am not that good at it and don't really want to become good at it either. It takes way too much time to do it right, and I just don't have that time.
Two, the better answer is to get Beretta to build the gun with a better texture to the grip from the start. These things take time.

I can definitely get behind Beretta doing a better texture. Thank you!!!

Paul Sharp
04-21-2017, 07:24 PM
OK, so I don't want to over-promise and under deliver. There are a lot of things in the works right now. I will list some and do my best to make the list in order of when I think they will be available;

1. Beretta 92G Elite LTT. Details on another thread.

Keep your fingers crossed and keep talking here on the forum. I am trying to listen and get the right info and decisions made at the right places to build the things that you guys want.

Your list had this at #3? I fixed it for you.

Clobbersaurus
04-21-2017, 07:38 PM

(I have made a few prototypes, but to make it right Beretta Italy is going to have to make it)

Ameriglo is working on both T-Cap sights (just like the PX4 CC) and Fiber Optic sights for the full-size.

All of these projects sound awesome.

One of the things I love about the PX4 full size is that because of the great Bertta after market support for the gun, you can mod it to make a very competent competition ready pistol. I've given up nothing in terms of placement while using the PX4 in competition and man it feels good to beat guys with high dollar STI's, CZ's, Tanfo's, etc.

I'm starting to think that the full size PX4, with your mods, and perhaps a thinner fiber optic front sight, could be one of the best "do all" guns on the market. That is, go from CC to competition wile giving up nothing to the guys with fancy competition guns. It's really that good.

One nitpicky thing I would REALLY love to see is a redesign of the squared off leading edge of their magazine to something like a Beretta Mec-Gar design. Or we just need to get Mec-Gar to make PX4 mags.

MSparks909
04-21-2017, 07:56 PM
One nitpicky thing I would REALLY love to see is a redesign of the squared off leading edge of their magazine to something like a Beretta Mec-Gar design. Or we just need to get Mec-Gar to make PX4 mags.

This x100! I have gotten numerous reloads caught up on the squared magazine tube. Super frustrating.

CoGT3
04-21-2017, 07:59 PM
All of these projects sound awesome.

Along that note, I was on Mec Gar's website recently and noticed a banner running across the top "come visit us at the NRA show"

Maybe Mr Langdon can stop by and give them a strong nudge in the right direction.

LangdonTactical
04-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Along that note, I was on Mec Gar's website recently and noticed a banner running across the top "come visit us at the NRA show"

Maybe Mr Langdon can stop by and give them a strong nudge in the right direction.

Yeah, I will do that for sure. I am not sure what kind of numbers we need to get them excited, but I will give it a shot for sure.

LangdonTactical
04-21-2017, 08:12 PM
This x100! I have gotten numerous reloads caught up on the squared magazine tube. Super frustrating.

Or...... I get Beretta to knock those sharp corners off all of the magazines as a running change?????

Trust me, much harder than is sounds!

HCM
04-21-2017, 08:31 PM
Your list had this at #3? I fixed it for you.

I concur.

Inkwell 41
04-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Don't forget the 18.5" 1301 LTT Comp with a vent rib barrel. :)

LearnedHat
04-21-2017, 09:13 PM

It seems like they could build a molded waffle iron type thing and spit those things out like donuts

LangdonTactical
04-21-2017, 09:33 PM

Yeah, I know. It is on the list for sure.

That Guy
04-21-2017, 11:42 PM
5. New safety de-cocker design that is easier to use but still low profile.

Ooh! I'll have one of those, please.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

MattyD380
04-21-2017, 11:43 PM
So, in musing over how well the PX4 shoots...

Now I've got rotating barrels on the mind.

Anyone try the Grand Powers?

Clobbersaurus
04-22-2017, 02:12 AM

Yes, I shot one a couple of months ago. The flagship X-Caliber. It was accurate, but I found the recoil impulse more snappy than the PX4. I also liked the PX4 trigger better.

JTQ
04-22-2017, 06:28 AM
So, in musing over how well the PX4 shoots...

Now I've got rotating barrels on the mind.

P. E. Kelley did a video review of the X-Caliber a while back https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17166-X-Caliber-from-Grand-Power

The most interesting thing I found was a feeding/cycling problem he had and was told by the manufacturer to lube the rim of the barrel (I haven't watched the video in a while and I hope I remember that right) at the chamber area. He did that and it corrected the problem. I hadn't heard that in any discussion of the PX4, but it did make me think back to Todd's comments about the Canadian's with their locked up PX4's and their mallets. It makes sense, in my uneducated mind, that the barrel has to rotate some at the breech face, and a little lube may help that.

HCM
04-22-2017, 11:24 AM
P. E. Kelley did a video review of the X-Caliber a while back https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17166-X-Caliber-from-Grand-Power

The most interesting thing I found was a feeding/cycling problem he had and was told by the manufacturer to lube the rim of the barrel (I haven't watched the video in a while and I hope I remember that right) at the chamber area. He did that and it corrected the problem. I hadn't heard that in any discussion of the PX4, but it did make me think back to Todd's comments about the Canadian's with their locked up PX4's and their mallets. It makes sense, in my uneducated mind, that the barrel has to rotate some at the breech face, and a little lube may help that.

Makes sense.

mmc45414
04-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Trust me, much harder than is sounds!
Yup, anything that has to do with a mold (texture) or a die (magazines) is much more EXPENSIVE than it sounds, especially if you are talking about modifying, or even worse, replacing, tooling that is currently turning out product that the majority of people are probably content with.

JTQ
04-22-2017, 03:54 PM
Ooops, I linked the wrong Grand Power video. His comments were in the .45 Auto version, beginning around the 9:40 mark.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16688-Grand-Power-P45acp-Big-Bullet-Blaster

MattyD380
04-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Ooops, I linked the wrong Grand Power video. His comments were in the .45 Auto version, beginning around the 9:40 mark.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16688-Grand-Power-P45acp-Big-Bullet-Blaster

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I watched this video a while ago. The lube issue aside, he seemed pretty happy with the gun. Seems that people have a generally favorable opinion of the Grand Powers. Sootch reviewed the P11 and had good things to say about it. Not that he ever really disses a pistol... but... he seemed genuinely impressed by it. The P11 is probably one I'd be interested in as a carry option.

Yeah, going back to past threads I've seen some of Todd's comments on Grand Powers and PX4s/Cougars... he was clearly not a fan. Something to effect of "inherent reliability problems which get worse without continued lubrication." <=I'm paraphrasing.

As they say... YMMV. Most feedback I've seen with PX4s (and rotating barrel guns in general) is very good. Still, I'm more inclined to think this system might be more lube sensitive than others? (namely, the camming groove). Either way, a drop of oil in the channel, and a drop on the nub... and my PX4 has gone 800 rounds with no issues. I will say I haven't gone over 200 rounds in a session though.

To be fair, I did have a .45 cougar which had the occasional FTFeed. One thing I noticed was that the feed angle was 1911ish (i.e., crash the round straight into the feed ramp and hope for the best) and I think that may have been more of a factor than the rotating barrel; I'm assuming the double-stack 9mm Cougars have a higher feed angle like 92s and PX4s.

I also greased the cam groove in that cougar (because I heard you should). Some guys on the Beretta forum pointed out that I may have been using too much grease? Could have also been a factor. Haven't used grease in my PX4. Haven't had a problem.

MattyD380
04-24-2017, 09:35 AM
Yes, I shot one a couple of months ago. The flagship X-Caliber. It was accurate, but I found the recoil impulse more snappy than the PX4. I also liked the PX4 trigger better.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. People seem generally pretty impressed with the triggers on the Grand Powers; I will say I am super impressed by the PX4 trigger.

I'd like to try one at some point. I'd be interested to see if the "intuitive shootability" I find with the PX4 translates to another rotating barrel platform.

357carbine
04-24-2017, 03:20 PM
Hey guys, just ran across this https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-1704240828278. Full size with night sights for $409.99. Don't know anything about the night sights. Only have a few days left for the $75 rebate .

Dave Williams
04-24-2017, 03:28 PM
Hey guys, just ran across this https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-1704240828278. Full size with night sights for $409.99. Don't know anything about the night sights. Only have a few days left for the $75 rebate .

Jeez great deal with the rebate.

helothar
04-24-2017, 04:58 PM

I'm also interested most in 3

LangdonTactical
04-25-2017, 10:55 AM

Yeah, that is a totally separate project, but it is still there.

Xrslug
04-25-2017, 12:11 PM
Yeah, that is a totally separate project, but it is still there.

If it helps any on the Beretta side, tally me as another person who will buy the Langdon 1301 if and when it comes out. (With apologies for the derail).

LangdonTactical
04-26-2017, 04:31 PM
If it helps any on the Beretta side, tally me as another person who will buy the Langdon 1301 if and when it comes out. (With apologies for the derail).

Thanks, I will be chatting with Beretta about this at the NRA Annual Convention this weekend.

Dave Williams
04-29-2017, 11:36 AM
Went to an indoor range in Newbury, Ohio to teach my twelve year old pressouts with my PX4 Compact. There were PX4s in the next two lanes! A full size and another compact. One of the guys told me they're really popular guns. My FDE with Langdon hammer and 12lb Wilson hammer spring was the coolest however:D

DAB
04-29-2017, 11:52 AM
was at a gun store yesterday, looking for a Gold Cup (didn't have one), and there was a gentleman and his son (maybe 12) looking at pistols for his wife (she showed up about 10 min later), and they were looking at single stack 9mms for her.

i gently advised him that smaller pistols will have more kick, and suggested he also look at one of the several Px4s they had on display. wife showed up and i departed.

LearnedHat
04-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Thanks, I will be chatting with Beretta about this at the NRA Annual Convention this weekend.

I have not heard about this. Is it coming with the shroud for the carrier release, a shell carrier, a mag extension and a light with some NP3 magic on it?

LangdonTactical
04-30-2017, 09:24 AM
I have not heard about this. Is it coming with the shroud for the carrier release, a shell carrier, a mag extension and a light with some NP3 magic on it?

Beretta has a fix for the shell drop. It is a new lever that does not need the shroud at all. Pretty slick, not in production yet but coming soon.

jamautry
05-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Mr. Langdon, would it be safe to assume that any of the mods available to the 9mm chambering, when offered, could be done to the 45 model also?

LangdonTactical
05-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Mr. Langdon, would it be safe to assume that any of the mods available to the 9mm chambering, when offered, could be done to the 45 model also?

Well, that is a good question. I would say yes, all of the mods that have been done and proven so far on the 9mm guns should work fine on the .45, but then I don't own a PX4 in .45, so it is really a SWAG.

I would have to do some research and see if it uses all the same parts. I really don't know, to be honest.

jamautry
05-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the quick and honest reply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

LangdonTactical
05-01-2017, 01:03 PM
The round count as of today is 11,666 for this Full-Size gun. No issues with the gun and it has been running great.

I have had three other stoppages two weekends ago, not the guns fault. When I detail cleaned the slide at 10K, I put the pin for the decocker in a little too far. The decocker started sticking a little and would stick in the down position after I decocked the gun. This would lead to the hammer falling on the back of the slide and not hitting the firing pin. The impact of that hammer fall would cause the decocker to unstick and then the next trigger pull would work, so it was not a big deal. Happen three times, but I have since fixed it and there are no issues now.

I should know better and should have done a better job with the function check after I put the gun back together.

Also, I talked to Ameriglo about sights for the full size at the NRA show. They are very close to being done and hopfully we will have both T-Cap sights just like the Compact Carry as well as a Fiber Optic set in a couple of weeks.

SSGN_Doc
05-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Also, I talked to Ameriglo about sights for the full size at the NRA show. They are very close to being done and hopfully we will have both T-Cap sights just like the Compact Carry as well as a Fiber Optic set in a couple of weeks.

I may have missed this in the other thread, but has Ameriglo made the compact sights available for purchase directly or is BUSA the only source right now?

Erik
05-01-2017, 02:39 PM
I may have missed this in the other thread, but has Ameriglo made the compact sights available for purchase directly or is BUSA the only source right now?

Also, any plans for a tritium rear? Thanks!

Swamp Buddy
05-01-2017, 02:46 PM
Please let us know when the sights for the full size are available?

LangdonTactical
05-01-2017, 04:17 PM

You can buy them directly I think, but you have to call them to place the order. I don't think they have it listed on the website.

LangdonTactical
05-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Please let us know when the sights for the full size are available?

I am sure they could do that pretty easily if you asked them too. There is plenty of room in the Compact Carry rear sight for the night sights.

SSGN_Doc
05-01-2017, 11:19 PM
You can buy them directly I think, but you have to call them to place the order. I don't think they have it listed on the website.

Thanks. It just so happens someone posted a set for sale on another forum. I guess they decided to go with a different setup.

LangdonTactical
05-04-2017, 05:16 PM
I hit 12,226 yesterday with only two range days this week. I have a class this weekend, so travel tomorrow and I will be lucky to get 400 shot over the weekend. I really have to turn up the heat on the shooting as I am way behind schedule.

Gun is running great!

LockedBreech
05-04-2017, 06:58 PM
EL, have you heard pretty much anyone talk about the PX4 .45 re: reliability, durability, accuracy? I love my .40 variant, will be buying one of your PX4CCs, and the .45 would be nice if it's reliable since I already know I love the platform.

JTQ
05-05-2017, 07:28 AM
Here's a PX4 .45 review from the late Stephen A. Camp http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/shooting_the_45-caliber%20beretta%20PX4.htm

LangdonTactical
05-05-2017, 09:14 AM
EL, have you heard pretty much anyone talk about the PX4 .45 re: reliability, durability, accuracy? I love my .40 variant, will be buying one of your PX4CCs, and the .45 would be nice if it's reliable since I already know I love the platform.

I have had two guys in my classes with PX4 45s. Both of them ran the class with no issues and I did shoot one of the guys guns. Seemed soft shooting for a .45 and they both did just fine in the class shooting them.

LockedBreech
05-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Great to hear! Thank you for the input!

I have had two guys in my classes with PX4 45s. Both of them ran the class with no issues and I did shoot one of the guys guns. Seemed soft shooting for a .45 and they both did just fine in the class shooting them.

LangdonTactical
05-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Between teaching this weekend and two trips to the range this week, I just hit 13,426 through the gun. Considering it is May 11th, I need to really hit it hard to meet the goal of 50K by next shot show. For some reason, I am having a harder time in finding time for long range sessions this year.

The gun is running great and I am shooting it well. I just need to pick up the pace quite a bit! I should be over 16k by now. 36,574 rounds to go before SHOT 2018, so I need to average a little more than 1,000 rounds every week between now and then. While that does not sound like much and everyone is saying to themselves, "I want that problem", it is not as easy as it sounds. And the really bad news is, I cannot always make it to the range every week. So that means I need to shoot way more when I can and do make it to the range.

I refuse to just go to the range and yank the trigger just to get the rounds shot. I really want to take the time to make all of this shooting be meaningful practice and good quality training. Anything less would just be a waste in my mind. I have participated in a couple of endurance test for federal agencies shooting high round counts in a very short period of time. Not only does it take all the fun out of shooting, it also is very, very bad for your shooting skills.

I know, I know....... Go complain somewhere else Ernest, we don't want to hear your whining about how much ammo you need to shoot every week. :rolleyes:

Mr_White
05-11-2017, 04:27 PM
I know, I know....... Go complain somewhere else Ernest, we don't want to hear your whining about how much ammo you need to shoot every week. :rolleyes:

I don't mind hearing about it. Definitely a good problem to have though! :)

DAB
05-11-2017, 05:16 PM
cheat.

send me some rounds and count them toward your total. don't worry, i have a Px4 in 9mm (full and compact).

:)

beenalongtime
05-11-2017, 05:51 PM

I just want to know how you found a sugar mama to pay your ammo habit.:p

jetfire
05-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Looks at my signature.

/cries softly in the corner

GJM
05-11-2017, 07:10 PM
I got reunited this afternoon with my full size PX4 9 and .40. The .40 with HD sights is perfectly regulated and a shooting machine. Recoil feels about like a G19 with +P ammo.

Refresh me, are there Ameriglo sights for the full size yet, as the HD sights hit too low on my 9.

beenalongtime
05-12-2017, 09:29 AM
I got reunited this afternoon with my full size PX4 9 and .40. The .40 with HD sights is perfectly regulated and a shooting machine. Recoil feels about like a G19 with +P ammo.

Refresh me, are there Ameriglo sights for the full size yet, as the HD sights hit too low on my 9.

No, Ameriglo offers nothing for the PX4 lineup. They advertise such (Spartan BR446) in their catalog, and based on my experience, will probably tell you their coming in 2 to 4 weeks, but their whole production is going to Beretta, and the other style advertised sight, isn't available for months. (in the long PX4 thread, my experience as well as one other that got me interested in them)

LangdonTactical
05-12-2017, 12:44 PM
No, Ameriglo offers nothing for the PX4 lineup. They advertise such (Spartan BR446) in their catalog, and based on my experience, will probably tell you their coming in 2 to 4 weeks, but their whole production is going to Beretta, and the other style advertised sight, isn't available for months. (in the long PX4 thread, my experience as well as one other that got me interested in them)

Yeah, I don't think that is completely true. I know people have been calling in and ordering sights for their compact. Several have even installed those on their full-size guns and posted pictures of them.

I get that the 2017 catalog list a set of sights for the PX4 that they do not make yet. But it not even half way through the year and it would not be the first time a company put something in their catalog before it was ready, not in this industry for sure.

DallasBronco
05-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Beretta USA is selling the Compact Carry-spec sights. I've ordered 3 for my non-CC Compact guns and received them a few weeks ago.

beenalongtime
05-13-2017, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I don't think that is completely true. I know people have been calling in and ordering sights for their compact. Several have even installed those on their full-size guns and posted pictures of them.

I get that the 2017 catalog list a set of sights for the PX4 that they do not make yet. But it not even half way through the year and it would not be the first time a company put something in their catalog before it was ready, not in this industry for sure.

My understanding is they are all being sold through Beretta itself, and not through Ameriglo (based on they told me, their whole run is going to them). I have seen them on the full size, where they stick out past the groove for them. (one could modify them or use them like that, but they weren't made for them)
Fairly new to this industry. Had a chance to play around with it 26 years ago, but back then it was guns or house, no money for both. If this industry is like that, well that sucks. In another industry, I made (and wasn't the only one) purchasing decisions, based on a manufacturer's release date of 2012. It is 2017 and still waiting. I will get loud about that (redacted)!

Swamp Buddy
05-13-2017, 05:34 PM
I ordered a set for my compact from Ameriglo #BR-432.

SSGN_Doc
05-13-2017, 05:49 PM
Seems to be some confusion now on which sights we are complaining about from Ameriglo. As I understand this:

Beenalongtime is troubled by the fact that Ameriglo has Spartan sights ( part # BR446) listed but not available.

Others post about BUSA having Ameriglo sights in stock and available from Ameriglo. (Part # BR432).

These are different sights. The BR446 should have tritium in the rear sight as well as the front, while BR432 has blacked out rears and tritium in front only. BR432 is the model utilized on the Px4 CC.

DAB
05-14-2017, 04:39 PM
shot my full size Px4 today at our local IDPA match, shot the Classifier with it, to see how well i can shoot my daily carry, and we also had a fun little side match: one target shaped steel at 10 yards, draw and fire 6 as fast as you can. any miss results in no time given. several guys had misses. so i step up, understand the COF, load my magazine and load and make ready. beep. bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang! 6 good hits. time? 3.30sec. cool, i would have guessed about 4.5 for that COF, which is more my normal speed.

it's good to have confidence in your daily carry and know what your proficiency level is.

too many points down on the classifier though. need to slow just a beat and get better hits. practice and learn.

Kyle Reese
05-14-2017, 05:45 PM
$409.98 (https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-1704240828278) from Whittaker Guns for the 9mm Beretta PX4 Storm Full Size with Night Sights.

Clobbersaurus
05-14-2017, 05:53 PM
$409.98 (https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-1704240828278) from Whittaker Guns for the 9mm Beretta PX4 Storm Full Size with Night Sights.

Wow, that is a great deal.

WobblyPossum
05-14-2017, 06:16 PM
When I saw that during the period the rebate was active, it took a lot of effort and mental fortitude to talk myself out of buying one.

LangdonTactical
05-16-2017, 08:11 AM

That is a really good deal!

Trukinjp13
05-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Jeeze, this stuff is killing me. I would have saved a ton of cash on the px4 vs the 92a1!

LangdonTactical
05-16-2017, 08:25 AM
I just rolled over 14,000 yesterday and I am now at 14,276. It is pretty much just drama free practice at this point. I don't have to think about the gun at all, just the shooting.

Yesterday was a little interesting as the wind was in the 30+ MPH range with a few big blows and lots of sand in the air. Had to put logs on my target stands. I will also have to clean the gun today as I am sure it picked up quite a bit of sand. Plus it has been almost 2000 rounds since the last cleaning anyway.

Two big learning points that have been the driving my last couple of practice sessions.

One is what I will call active aiming. I tell people in my classes two things when it comes to trigger control and aiming. First, let your sights dictate the cadence of fire. Second, it's your job to get the sights back where you need to be before you pull the trigger again. This active aiming is really the second one and I have notice that it is really key for me shooting accurately at speed. It is very hard to explain as it is not just controlling recoil, but it is constantly putting the sights back in alinement to what I need to see to make the shot. Constantly actively aiming the gun and making micro-adjustments at speed.

Two is grip pressure. I have notice that I had started to relax my grip a little. The last several range sessions I have really focused on "cranking down" my grip pressure and it has made a huge difference on how well I control recoil and how quickly I can "actively aim" the gun.

Time to hit the gym and clean guns :)

GJM
05-16-2017, 08:35 AM
In terms of grip pressure, I see this all the time going from PCC to Carry Optics, As the dot is a lot more stable on the long gun. Whenever the dot seems to be dancing around on the pistol, I clamp harder, and magically it settles right down. Same as iron sights, just the dot makes the issue a lot more obvious.

LangdonTactical
05-17-2017, 11:27 AM
In terms of grip pressure, I see this all the time going from PCC to Carry Optics, As the dot is a lot more stable on the long gun. Whenever the dot seems to be dancing around on the pistol, I clamp harder, and magically it settles right down. Same as iron sights, just the dot makes the issue a lot more obvious.

Yes, a dot or a laser will really show you how much the gun is moving on the target. Two big learning points there I think. One, learning how to hold the gun more stable makes the Dot a great learning tool. Most people think shooting a dot will make you a better Iron Sight shooter. Two, learning to accept movement in your sight picture, and with that, learning that trigger control is the most important part of the equation.

45dotACP
05-17-2017, 01:27 PM
Yes, a dot or a laser will really show you how much the gun is moving on the target. Two big learning points there I think. One, learning how to hold the gun more stable makes the Dot a great learning tool. Most people think shooting a dot will make you a better Iron Sight shooter. Two, learning to accept movement in your sight picture, and with that, learning that trigger control is the most important part of the equation.
This post tho...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DAB
05-18-2017, 12:03 PM
turns out i won that stage against about 17 other shooters, including an Expert and several Sharpshooters.

woot.

accurate, fast and soft shooting pistol.

now, can i break 3.00 seconds on a 10 yard Bill Drill? something to work on.

shot my full size Px4 today at our local IDPA match, shot the Classifier with it, to see how well i can shoot my daily carry, and we also had a fun little side match: one target shaped steel at 10 yards, draw and fire 6 as fast as you can. any miss results in no time given. several guys had misses. so i step up, understand the COF, load my magazine and load and make ready. beep. bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang! 6 good hits. time? 3.30sec. cool, i would have guessed about 4.5 for that COF, which is more my normal speed.

it's good to have confidence in your daily carry and know what your proficiency level is.

too many points down on the classifier though. need to slow just a beat and get better hits. practice and learn.

LangdonTactical
05-19-2017, 12:01 PM
turns out i won that stage against about 17 other shooters, including an Expert and several Sharpshooters.

woot.

accurate, fast and soft shooting pistol.

now, can i break 3.00 seconds on a 10 yard Bill Drill? something to work on.

That is great, super exciting.

Break down the Bill Drill and figure out where you are losing time. Fast Bill Drills are more about the draw than anything else. Some want to focus on split times, and while those are important, the draw is what normally pushes me over the time I am reaching for.

DAB
05-19-2017, 12:51 PM
since it was part of a match, i didn't get a chance to check the draw and split times. but....i have my own timer and plan to hit the range next week with my dad and run this drill several times.

i've only been action shooting for about 3 years, so my draw is still slow compared to seasoned pros.

saw a video with Leatham, he drew and fired 6 in 1.78 or so. fine, he wins.

if i had to guess, based on previous drills, i'd guess my draw was about 1.1-1.2, so that would imply splits of about 0.40 or so.

i'll take that for my daily carry. it's not a tricked out race gun, and i don't have the time or money to shoot 300 rounds every day.

i've swapped the safety levers for the G stealth decockers, and the slide release is the stealth one too, and i have the large mag release button. otherwise, stock as it came from Beretta. love the G levers, it's always ready to go.

Kyle Reese
05-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Got a full sized example coming in via Whittaker Guns. 😎

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

LOKNLOD
05-19-2017, 06:39 PM
Browsing through a Cabelas catalog that came in the mail today, and got a kick out of seeing this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/622498d9ad858320593b48aab3c50700.jpg

LangdonTactical
05-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Browsing through a Cabelas catalog that came in the mail today, and got a kick out of seeing this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/622498d9ad858320593b48aab3c50700.jpg

Trust me, I get a much bigger kick out of that than you do :)

Clobbersaurus
05-19-2017, 07:26 PM
since it was part of a match, i didn't get a chance to check the draw and split times. but....i have my own timer and plan to hit the range next week with my dad and run this drill several times.

i've only been action shooting for about 3 years, so my draw is still slow compared to seasoned pros.

saw a video with Leatham, he drew and fired 6 in 1.78 or so. fine, he wins.

if i had to guess, based on previous drills, i'd guess my draw was about 1.1-1.2, so that would imply splits of about 0.40 or so.

You can get there. I think my best clean Bill with my PX4 was was 2.25 and I was flirting with 2.1's (had very close C's) before I switched out to my Elite II. This was with OWB competition gear mind you and a factory trigger. :D

357carbine
05-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Larry Vickers PX4 anyone? http://www.gunbroker.com/item/645803115

jetfire
05-20-2017, 11:32 AM
I found an old photo of me rocking the Inox PX4 at Bianchi Cup in 2014. I shot it at both the Cup and the NRA World Action Pistol Championship that year. I had a good match at the World Shoot, finishing 10th in Production, and a shitty match at the Cup. The gun itself was hella accurate though and was not the source of my issues.

Clobbersaurus
05-20-2017, 02:43 PM
I found an old photo of me rocking the Inox PX4 at Bianchi Cup in 2014. I shot it at both the Cup and the NRA World Action Pistol Championship that year. I had a good match at the World Shoot, finishing 10th in Production, and a shitty match at the Cup. The gun itself was hella accurate though and was not the source of my issues.

Is that and adjustable rear sight? Can't quite tell in the blur, but it looks larger than normal.

jetfire
05-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Is that and adjustable rear sight? Can't quite tell in the blur, but it looks larger than normal.

It is an adjustable rear sight. I installed it myself (https://www.facebook.com/calebshooting/videos/713325695377497/) with a bit of drama that involved the destruction of an MGW sight pusher and an anguished email from MGW when they saw the youtube video.

https://youtu.be/RjZLC-MVH40

Clobbersaurus
05-20-2017, 06:09 PM
Hahaha........"I'm Caleb Giddings, and I'm an idiot". :p

I had a tough time getting the same sight on my PX4 as well. The factory sights are just stupid tight on the slides. I used a Fisher Solutions sight pusher and a ton of profanity to switch out my sights.

beenalongtime
05-21-2017, 07:47 AM
You all are making me more convinced to have the gunsmith install new sights. Not worth the time or frustration for that.

MSparks909
05-21-2017, 07:54 AM
MGW Sight Pro. Expensive but worth every penny. No gunsmith required. One reason I prefer to install my own sights is if I need to make any windage adjustments (I eyeball sights when I install them), I break out the sight pusher and move them as required. If you had a gunsmith install then, you would have to take your slide back to them to have the sights adjusted. Real easy to fine tune windage with a sight pusher and an indoor 25Y range with power target movers.

SSGN_Doc
05-21-2017, 10:05 AM
My gunsmith couldn't remove mine with his MGW tool. He used hammer/punch/vice.

I had tried a universal tool but was afraid I was going to do damage. It was why I ended up at the Smith.

I have an MGW for Sig and have used it with great success on my Sigs and agree it is a great tool and worth the cost. Problem seems to be that not all pistols are created equal and some exceed the capabilities of even a well designed tool.

GJM
05-21-2017, 10:38 AM
My gunsmith couldn't remove mine with his MGW tool. He used hammer/punch/vice.

I had tried a universal tool but was afraid I was going to do damage. It was why I ended up at the Smith.

I have an MGW for Sig and have used it with great success on my Sigs and agree it is a great tool and worth the cost. Problem seems to be that not all pistols are created equal and some exceed the capabilities of even a well designed tool.

I think what you are saying, is there are certain instances where paying a gunsmith is a good value. I put fitting Dawson fiber optic front sights, for example, in that category.

jetfire
05-21-2017, 12:20 PM
MGW Sight Pro. Expensive but worth every penny. No gunsmith required. One reason I prefer to install my own sights is if I need to make any windage adjustments (I eyeball sights when I install them), I break out the sight pusher and move them as required. If you had a gunsmith install then, you would have to take your slide back to them to have the sights adjusted. Real easy to fine tune windage with a sight pusher and an indoor 25Y range with power target movers.

You mean like the one I had to cut apart with a saw...

SSGN_Doc
05-21-2017, 04:28 PM
I think what you are saying, is there are certain instances where paying a gunsmith is a good value. I put fitting Dawson fiber optic front sights, for example, in that category.

Yes. And that there are times where patience needs to overcome expedience or being in a rush. I noted a thread on Beretta Forums where a member there cracked his slide while trying to remove the rear sight. I'm still not sure how he did it. But he cracked it near the web where the slide is milled out to allow the retaining pin for the safety levers can be driven out.

I've also seen SA XD pistols with tough front sights.

The Px4 is the first pistol I've had where I couldn't get the sights loose. I have a pretty high threshold for what I will expose one of my guns to in kitchen table/garage workbench gunsmithing. This little pustol exceeded my comfort zone. I'm happy with he results from my local Smith. I'm also happy I am not paying to replace the slide.

Shootur44
05-21-2017, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure about Beretta's but I have run into several Glock's either the sights glued in along with press fit. I have had one that was soo tightly fighter and then glued ontop of that that even after finally removing rear sight with a press and proper jig that I had to file above normal amount off the new sight and was thrilled checked to be sure it was correct sight. They used what looked like clear super glue a dot on the sight and the slide was proof of the gluing

DAB
05-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Best Bill Drill today was 3.19. But down 1.

Keep working on it. Likely lost a few tenths to my leather holster.

Was shooting at 10 yards.

LangdonTactical
05-30-2017, 09:21 AM
Best Bill Drill today was 3.19. But down 1.

Keep working on it. Likely lost a few tenths to my leather holster.

Was shooting at 10 yards.

Traditionally, the "Bill Drill" is run at 7 yards on an IPSC target. The goal is all in the A zone.

TCFD273
05-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Traditionally, the "Bill Drill" is run at 7 yards on an IPSC target. The goal is all in the A zone.

For the past several months I've been running Bill drills out to 25. At 20+ it turns into your 6 in 5 drill I've seen you run though.

DAB
05-30-2017, 06:35 PM
I'll try it again at 7 yards with my kydex holster someday.

LangdonTactical
06-07-2017, 04:59 PM
Had a 400 round practice session this morning, which takes the round count to 17,603. Gun continues to run like a champ and it is really all about practice for me at this point. No drama with the gun at all and it is still shooting very accurately if I do my part.

I do think it is about time to put on a new front sight. The back left corner of the sight is really starting to get shiny from holster wear. On bright sunny days, it really starts to affect precision shots. This is always an issue with any gun that I train hard with, the finish just wears off the edges after a while. I have yet to find any kind of refinish or sight paint that will fix this issues. I normally just end up putting another set of sights on the gun and throwing the old ones away.

The good news is the Fiber Optic sights should be done soon.

Swamp Buddy
06-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Be sure and let us know when they are available.

LTC77406
06-08-2017, 07:18 AM
Just sent my full size to ROBAR for the CC mod 4 treatment. It'll be great to have all my PX4's set up the same. Now for the excitement of the wait!

LTC77406
06-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Had a 400 round practice session this morning, which takes the round count to 17,603. Gun continues to run like a champ and it is really all about practice for me at this point. No drama with the gun at all and it is still shooting very accurately if I do my part.

I do think it is about time to put on a new front sight. The back left corner of the sight is really starting to get shiny from holster wear. On bright sunny days, it really starts to affect precision shots. This is always an issue with any gun that I train hard with, the finish just wears off the edges after a while. I have yet to find any kind of refinish or sight paint that will fix this issues. I normally just end up putting another set of sights on the gun and throwing the old ones away.

The good news is the Fiber Optic sights should be done soon.

What is the advantage to the Fiber Optic?

JTQ
06-19-2017, 08:58 AM

Frank Proctor's take http://www.recoilweb.com/a-few-thoughts-on-fiber-optic-sights-and-carrying-a-light-59795.html

LTC77406
06-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Frank Proctor's take http://www.recoilweb.com/a-few-thoughts-on-fiber-optic-sights-and-carrying-a-light-59795.html

That's a nice article but it really doesn't answer my question or maybe I should re-phrase. How is fiber optic more advantageous than the large orange ameriglo front and black rears that are on my compact carry(s) and full sized PX4? Is it durability, because I'll never be shooting that many rounds in that amount of time - I go through approximately 1000 per month, more if I attend a class. Is it visibility? That might make a difference.

45dotACP
06-19-2017, 11:08 AM
In full daylight, a FO blooms like a red dot and at close range if you see the red dot on target you can hit it.

Otherwise, I see little difference. The bright orange is super visible as well and serves the same function.

You can get a thinner fiber front, which will be faster than a thicker tritium front, but only noteworthy if you're already very good...ya know...like Ernest Langdon ;)

spinmove_
06-19-2017, 02:32 PM

Nothing is more visible with sufficient ambient light than a FO front sight. You can get FO fronts thinner than their tritium counterparts. Paired with white light, I find a FO front superior than a tritium front or other non-serrated front sight.

JTQ
06-19-2017, 04:13 PM
That's a nice article but it really doesn't answer my question or maybe I should re-phrase. How is fiber optic more advantageous than the large orange ameriglo front and black rears that are on my compact carry(s) and full sized PX4? Is it durability, because I'll never be shooting that many rounds in that amount of time - I go through approximately 1000 per month, more if I attend a class. Is it visibility? That might make a difference.
From the article...

I have found this combination to be extremely easy to use, consequently allowing you to see what you need to see more quickly and enabling you to shoot faster and more accurately

MSparks909
06-19-2017, 05:34 PM
I personally prefer fiber optic sights over all else...with that said the factory Ameriglo's on the PX4 CC are quite good. I may swap to a fiber front when available but the stock sights certainly don't hold me back at all.

BobLoblaw
06-19-2017, 05:53 PM
Aside from the VP9, the PX4 CC has been the only firearm model I've purchased on which I haven't switched out a component (due to Ernest making it A+ to begin with). The sights are excellent as is and I preferred yellow rear trits until now.

LangdonTactical
06-19-2017, 06:21 PM
Nothing is more visible with sufficient ambient light than a FO front sight. You can get FO fronts thinner than their tritium counterparts. Paired with white light, I find a FO front superior than a tritium front or other non-serrated front sight.

This ^^^^

Also, night sights are great, but once it is really dark, you need a flashlight anyway. I still use night sights on my carry guns, but I have carried with FO sights and did not feel under equipped.

Also, if the gun is just a shooter, then why spend the extra money on night sights.

It's an option that helps see the sights faster, the very best for iron sighted competition guns for sure.

LangdonTactical
06-23-2017, 06:03 AM
Yesterday's practice session brings the round count to 18,773. Gun still running like a top with no issues at all.

I did have to break down and replace the front sight. A chunk of the paint in the front sight fell off and made me finally make the swap. The night sight was still glowing and I have had those go out much sooner that. It happened at the very end of the range session, so getting over 18,750 cycles is not bad at all for a sight and I am happy with how well it held up.

The bad news is I had to dig up an old used sight from my carry gun to replace it with. The CAPs for the Full Size are not out yet. That means I will be replacing it again when I get my hands on the correct ones. I will likely replace the whole set as the rear sight is getting shiny as well.

MSparks909
06-24-2017, 08:05 AM
Ordered the 92-style PX4 levers to replace the factory batwing decock lever for my full size PX4s. Holding off for the Ameriglo fiber optic version sights.

Are the fiber optic fronts going to be .125W? Really hoping so...
What's the rear notch width again on the Ameriglos?

LangdonTactical
06-24-2017, 07:13 PM
Ordered the 92-style PX4 levers to replace the factory batwing decock lever for my full size PX4s. Holding off for the Ameriglo fiber optic version sights.

Are the fiber optic fronts going to be .125W? Really hoping so...
What's the rear notch width again on the Ameriglos?

I think the first sets of FO fronts for the full size are going to be .125 or .130 wide to match the notch in the rear they make now. I have asked for a .110 FO front with a narrower rear notch. Hopefully, they will do that along with the standard CAP sights.

CommanderCrusty
06-24-2017, 10:29 PM
17575I recently had an enlightening conversation with a Glock-toting pistol instructor at my LGS. He assured me that I was making a huge mistake to use the slide release on my Beretta 92FS because that was an unsafe "competition only technique, and we don't teach that here." He allowed as it would work, you know, "for older competition shooters such as yourself." Then he assured me that his Glock was safer than my Beretta because it wouldn't "accidentaly go on-safe when using the proper overhand slide racking technique." So, is it any wonder that this wizard would not be prepared to teach anyone how to use a TDA pistol? Apparently, many gun-jocks raised on striker fired pistols do not have the depth of experience to train folks to use the PX4, or to recommend them. Many have literally NEVER fired a DA revolver. Unless and until a major forearms maker comes out with an advertising campaign touting the benefits of their new Dual Mode OffDef (Offensive Defensive) pistol with FPSH (Firing Pin Striking Hammer) and DMRA (Digital Mode Readiness Assessment), well, folks just won't try a fine pistol like the PX4. They don't want to be called "an older competition shooter." Gotta make everything Tacticool, don't ya know?

MSparks909
06-24-2017, 10:32 PM
There amount of gunstore derp I hear on a weekly basis is borderline depressing. I just go about my visits and nod my head and smile.

LockedBreech
06-24-2017, 10:53 PM
I think I have heard the "take your slide off" stuff about the 92-series and the "that one department had to use mallets that one time" stuff about the PX4 series each more times than I can count.

Eventually I had to come back to Earth and pay attention to the tens of thousands of flawless rounds I have through my Berettas at this point.

I understand why some people prefer striker triggers, I carry a Glock 19 primarily myself, but why all the other nonsense comes with that opinion so frequently I have no idea. Brilliant shooters have been shooting TDAs at masterclass level for decades but to listen to gun counter chat you'd think that never happened. And somehow the functionally similar Sig P-series tends to avoid the criticism 'cause Navy SEALs.

spinmove_
06-25-2017, 07:10 AM
17575I recently had an enlightening conversation with a Glock-toting pistol instructor at my LGS. He assured me that I was making a huge mistake to use the slide release on my Beretta 92FS because that was an unsafe "competition only technique, and we don't teach that here." He allowed as it would work, you know, "for older competition shooters such as yourself." Then he assured me that his Glock was safer than my Beretta because it wouldn't "accidentaly go on-safe when using the proper overhand slide racking technique." So, is it any wonder that this wizard would not be prepared to teach anyone how to use a TDA pistol? Apparently, many gun-jocks raised on striker fired pistols do not have the depth of experience to train folks to use the PX4, or to recommend them. Many have literally NEVER fired a DA revolver. Unless and until a major forearms maker comes out with an advertising campaign touting the benefits of their new Dual Mode OffDef (Offensive Defensive) pistol with FPSH (Firing Pin Striking Hammer) and DMRA (Digital Mode Readiness Assessment), well, folks just won't try a fine pistol like the PX4. They don't want to be called "an older competition shooter." Gotta make everything Tacticool, don't ya know?

It's derp like that which makes me wanna carry my SP2022 because there are 0 things wrong with a really good TDA pistol. That instructor needs a reality check and I'd be ALMOST tempted to take a class with him to prove him how so so wrong he is.

LangdonTactical
06-25-2017, 05:11 PM
And somehow the functionally similar Sig P-series tends to avoid the criticism 'cause Navy SEALs.

That made me actually laugh out loud :)

LockedBreech
06-26-2017, 12:22 AM
That made me actually laugh out loud :)

The extra funny bonus is that thanks to how my thumbs-high grip sits, 226 magazines don't lock back on empty for me, meaning I run it significantly worse at speed than the 92, thereby being much less "Operator" despite the SEAL pedigree. :D

Robinson
06-26-2017, 08:04 AM
I quite like both the 92 series and the P226 but the decockers on both guns are positioned such that I have to adjust my grip in order to reach them. So I end up decocking with my support hand -- not optimal for one-handed shooting. Ah well.

SSGN_Doc
06-26-2017, 11:44 AM
The extra funny bonus is that thanks to how my thumbs-high grip sits, 226 magazines don't lock back on empty for me, meaning I run it significantly worse at speed than the 92, thereby being much less "Operator" despite the SEAL pedigree. :D

I switched my slide lock/release lever to a P224 lever (also used on the Legion series). It is smaller and I don't actuate it accidentally but it is still very easy to use when wanted. It is a factory available part, and works on 226 series pistol as a drop in part. I think I found mine at Osage County Guns. It fixed a long time problem I had with Sigs, and made them much more enjoyable for me to shoot as it was almost the only complaint I had with them.

LockedBreech
06-26-2017, 02:59 PM
I switched my slide lock/release lever to a P224 lever (also used on the Legion series). It is smaller and I don't actuate it accidentally but it is still very easy to use when wanted. It is a factory available part, and works on 226 series pistol as a drop in part. I think I found mine at Osage County Guns. It fixed a long time problem I had with Sigs, and made them much more enjoyable for me to shoot as it was almost the only complaint I had with them.

Thanks! I'll look into that

MSparks909
06-26-2017, 05:47 PM
Shot another 150 through gun #2 today, bringing its total to 3,500. Gun #2 is the main trainer gun so it hasn't seen much TLC. It was cleaned once at 2,200 rounds following the completion of the 2,000 round challenge. Added a couple drops of oil before today's session. Don't plan to clean/oil or do anything else until it hits 5,000 rounds fired. It might get a nice brake cleaner bath then...or maybe just more oil. I *hope* to hit 5,000 fired by the end of July. I've slacked off anything gun related for the past ~3 weeks. Gonna get back on track.

This thing has dethroned my Wilson Brig Tac from my "favorite Beretta" status. It's that good.

LangdonTactical
06-26-2017, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=MSparks909;619133]Shot another 150 through gun #2 today, bringing its total to 3,500. Gun #2 is the main trainer gun so it hasn't seen much TLC. It was cleaned once at 2,200 rounds following the completion of the 2,000 round challenge. Added a couple drops of oil before today's session. Don't plan to clean/oil or do anything else until it hits 5,000 rounds fired. It might get a nice brake cleaner bath then...or maybe just more oil. I *hope* to hit 5,000 fired by the end of July. I've slacked off anything gun related for the past ~3 weeks. Gonna get back on track.

This thing has dethroned my Wilson Brig Tac from my "favorite Beretta" status. It's that good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]

Thanks for the pictures and feedback. I truly understand how hard it can be to admit how much you like that little gun.

It really is beyond reason how well it shoots.

call_me_ski
06-26-2017, 08:04 PM
So I have been dry firing the new Beretta and I have found it to be one of the smoothest DA/SA triggers with one complaint. As the trigger moves the trigger bar up on initial 1/8 in. pull from slide lock in SA mode it is the absolute grittiest trigger I have used. It is also present if I rack the slide to rest the hammer and let go of the trigger before the slide is fully forward. I have isolated this grittiness to the upward movement of the trigger bar and it goes away once the trigger starts moving the trigger bar forward. It is still present when the slide is off the frame.

Is this typical? If not how do I correct this? I don't want to take the time to detail strip the frame if this is something that exists until the gun is broken in.

call_me_ski
06-26-2017, 10:42 PM
Here is a video of the portion of the pull that is gritty. You can hear the gravel in the video.

https://youtu.be/8CZyCn043wY

I don't have another Beretta in hand but I believe that the trigger bar may be being pinched somewhere keeping it from resetting to the up position automatically. I just pulled the trigger pack out of the frame and could not figure it out. If I manually move the trigger bar against the side of the frame without the trigger pack in there it is as smooth as can be. When I put everything back together the problem persisted.

ffhounddog
06-27-2017, 08:01 AM
I wish I did not have three P2000's then moving to the PX4 compact would be easier but P2000 can take my P30/VP9 mags no problem.

I wonder if I should trade my Beretta Vertec Inox for something because it just sits. I really want to get rid of my Sig P320c because it is not what I like but my Mom is trying that out while I am deployed.

ffh

MSparks909
06-27-2017, 09:02 AM
FWIW I had 2 VP9s, 2 P2000 V3s and a P30 V3 about a year ago...only thing I have left is the P30 V3 (and I still debate on a near daily basis whether or not to let it go too). The P2000 is a good gun...but it doesn't hold a candle to the overall shootability (trigger feel, sight tracking and felt recoil) of the PX4 CC. It took me about a year of platform jumping to find my ideal TDA carry gun.

beenalongtime
06-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the pictures and feedback. I truly understand how hard it can be to admit how much you like that little gun.

It really is beyond reason how well it shoots.

Just because I am curious, I know you have shot the full and compact models, have you come up with a preference? Have you fired the subcompact and thoughts on it?
Thanks

DAB
06-27-2017, 11:46 AM
i'm far from a 1000 round a week expert, but i do have both a full size and a compact. i prefer the full size for daily carry: longer barrel, longer sight radius, larger capacity magazine. they are both sweet shooting pistols, i've installed large mag release buttons on both, stealth slide release levers on both, and G lever decockers on both. personal preference. if my full size wasn't available, i would not hesitate to carry the compact.

LangdonTactical
06-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Just because I am curious, I know you have shot the full and compact models, have you come up with a preference? Have you fired the subcompact and thoughts on it?
Thanks

While I shoot the full-size gun just a little more accurately at speed, because of the sight radius, I still like shooting the compact more. I really think it is flatter shooting and for most things, I would bet I shoot it just as good if not better. It is just an easy gun to shoot well, I don't know how else to describe it really.

Dagga Boy
06-27-2017, 09:42 PM
While I shoot the full-size gun just a little more accurately at speed, because of the sight radius, I still like shooting the compact more. I really think it is flatter shooting and for most things, I would bet I shoot it just as good if not better. It is just an easy gun to shoot well, I don't know how else to describe it really.

There is a cheap full size sitting at my local shop. I have zero interest because of how easy the compact is to shoot. The compact is downright pleasant to shoot and I am shooting scores on drills that are normal with a full size pistol. Only reason I could see getting a full size is to run a dedicated light on it.......at that point, I like the Beretta 92 or another bigger pistol in that role.

LockedBreech
06-27-2017, 09:53 PM
There is a cheap full size sitting at my local shop. I have zero interest because of how easy the compact is to shoot. The compact is downright pleasant to shoot and I am shooting scores on drills that are normal with a full size pistol. Only reason I could see getting a full size is to run a dedicated light on it.......at that point, I like the Beretta 92 or another bigger pistol in that role.

I know nobody shoots .40 anymore, but the PX4 full size is an exceptional gun in .40. It was my first handgun ever and has such a pleasant recoil impulse I used to be genuinely confused as to why people don't like .40.

Even now, having owned several dozen handguns, I'm still fond enough of it to be considering an inox 9mm variant.

Dagga Boy
06-27-2017, 09:57 PM
With its soft recoil impulse, I could see the full size PX4 being a good .40. I have never liked the .40, but it seems like it would be viable.

beenalongtime
06-27-2017, 11:38 PM
I know nobody shoots .40 anymore, but the PX4 full size is an exceptional gun in .40. It was my first handgun ever and has such a pleasant recoil impulse I used to be genuinely confused as to why people don't like .40.

Even now, having owned several dozen handguns, I'm still fond enough of it to be considering an inox 9mm variant.

Who is this nobody person? I know my first PX4, was the subcompact .40, because I couldn't find one locally, ordered used from a site a LEO friend recommended. My reasoning was due to a LEO relative, who once had threats against him (more common I am sure then we would like), that I wanted something small, and in the caliber of what his department shoots, as they have spare ammo around and I wanted to make sure the spouse and kids would have a worst case scenario weapon. (besides all the extra LEO presence that would happen, and since most of the spare weapons are full size, so the kids don't panic)
My second was the compact in .40, because I got a deal and liked the way it shoots. My third is a 9mm, in part due belief in having multiple calibers and another 9mm pistol in my collection.
Training, I think, makes the bigger difference then caliber. Having extra ammo, if your in a protect the family situation, isn't a bad thing either, so it makes sense to me.
I have been tempted with some of the deals, to try to get a full size 9mm in either a D or C configuration. I may or may not keep it, but would love to shoot one.

LockedBreech
06-27-2017, 11:49 PM
Who is this nobody person? I know my first PX4, was the subcompact .40, because I couldn't find one locally, ordered used from a site a LEO friend recommended. My reasoning was due to a LEO relative, who once had threats against him (more common I am sure then we would like), that I wanted something small, and in the caliber of what his department shoots, as they have spare ammo around and I wanted to make sure the spouse and kids would have a worst case scenario weapon. (besides all the extra LEO presence that would happen, and since most of the spare weapons are full size, so the kids don't panic)
My second was the compact in .40, because I got a deal and liked the way it shoots. My third is a 9mm, in part due belief in having multiple calibers and another 9mm pistol in my collection.
Training, I think, makes the bigger difference then caliber. Having extra ammo, if your in a protect the family situation, isn't a bad thing either, so it makes sense to me.
I have been tempted with some of the deals, to try to get a full size 9mm in either a D or C configuration. I may or may not keep it, but would love to shoot one.

To clarify, I shoot a 9mm Speer 124-grain +P Gold Dot exclusively in all defense roles across platforms now.

Just saying if someone favors .40 or has to carry .40 for work, I think it's a superb platform for it, better even than the P229 or M&P 40 in my opinion, and I own and like all three.

AdioSS
06-29-2017, 06:31 PM
From the PX4 Compact thread, but posted here because it pertains to the full size...

This is correct, the issue is the breach face and the .40 caliber case.

Now if someone would (maybe Beretta) would make a 9mm conversion barrel for the full-size .40? That would give you a .40 caliber OD barrel with a 9mm hole, basically giving you a heavier barrael and a little more weight on the nose of the gun. Lots of used .40s out there to try this on, just need someone to make a barrel.
I picked up one of the $60 full size 9mm barrels from eBay & a 20rd 9mm magazine to try in my Type
C .40. It feeds & functions fine. The barrel is tight when in battery, but does not line up centered in the slide vertically. I was only testing to see if it worked without shooting at a target to see how far off it is.

I'm guessing that WAL machines a spacer to go over the 9mm barrel when used in a .40 slide. Freeze the barrel, heat the spacer, and quickly pressing them together should be more than sufficient to hold.

beenalongtime
06-30-2017, 12:33 AM
From the PX4 Compact thread, but posted here because it pertains to the full size...

I picked up one of the $60 full size 9mm barrels from eBay & a 20rd 9mm magazine to try in my Type
C .40. It feeds & functions fine. The barrel is tight when in battery, but does not line up centered in the slide vertically. I was only testing to see if it worked without shooting at a target to see how far off it is.

I'm guessing that WAL machines a spacer to go over the 9mm barrel when used in a .40 slide. Freeze the barrel, heat the spacer, and quickly pressing them together should be more than sufficient to hold.

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=99349&page=2

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=98915

A whole different barrel. (no change in the extractor needed, via those threads)

LangdonTactical
06-30-2017, 10:54 AM

I bought the last barrel that he had and I can tell you that is not what he is doing. Kind of mad that I did not figure this out before :(

He is a smart guy!

AdioSS
07-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Since you got the last of them, can you share what he did?

LangdonTactical
07-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Since you got the last of them, can you share what he did?

I will ask him if he plans to give that up first. He figured it out, he deserves the right to give away his knowledge if he wants to do so.

It is really not hard to figure out, I had just not tried it yet. I had my suspicions for about a year and never did anything with them.

MSparks909
07-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Hit 20K with the full-size yet?

LangdonTactical
07-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Hit 20K with the full-size yet?

I would have by now, but had a little accident and ended up getting 9 stitches in the bottom of my foot. I will hit 20K by the end of the weekend though. I am at 19,332 as of my last range trip.

I also took delivery of another 19,000 rounds of ammo with another 8,000 on the way. That will give me all I need on hand to finish the test.

Of interest is that I have several thousand rounds of various duty hollow points that will be part of this test. This includes 2,000 rounds of Federal HST and 1,000 rounds of Gold Dot.

I also pick up 1,000 rounds of Fiocchi 158 grain ammo just because I have never shot it before and wondered how it would run and shoot.

I will be hitting the range hard on Friday. Tomorrow I will be at ROBAR all day finishing up a bunch of MOD 4s and MOD 5s.

LockedBreech
07-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Get well soon, EL, and do what the docs say, foot and leg crap sucks when it heals wrong.

beenalongtime
07-06-2017, 12:57 AM
I would have by now, but had a little accident and ended up getting 9 stitches in the bottom of my foot.

Hope the accident wasn't something that would cause you to pick up the name Barney Fife!:p

LangdonTactical
07-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Hope the accident wasn't something that would cause you to pick up the name Barney Fife!:p

No, stepped on a piece of exposed PVC pipe at a night time pool party. Long set up for the story, but that is what happened.

spinmove_
07-06-2017, 12:08 PM
No, stepped on a piece of exposed PVC pipe at a night time pool party. Long set up for the story, but that is what happened.

I've literally been there/done that. 8 stitches through the arch of my left foot. Was not pleasant. Hope you have a speedy recovery, sir.

KVDT
07-06-2017, 03:44 PM
$375 shipped for G model

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Beretta-Px4-Storm-Type-G-9mm-Pistol-p/jxf9g23.htm?Click=46687

lml_hotshot
07-06-2017, 06:34 PM
Has anyone slugged their PX4 barrel or know what size to use for coated/cast bullet's?

Thanks.

LockedBreech
07-06-2017, 07:46 PM
$375 shipped for G model

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Beretta-Px4-Storm-Type-G-9mm-Pistol-p/jxf9g23.htm?Click=46687

Deals like this on the PX4 are genuine steals

LangdonTactical
07-07-2017, 09:38 AM
$375 shipped for G model

Wow, that is super cheap. Makes me want to buy like three of them just to have as loaner guns.

alohadoug
07-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Wow, that is super cheap. Makes me want to buy like three of them just to have as loaner guns.

Will you "loan" one to me? Send the frame to my FFL and the slide to me directly? LOL....I hate the laws here.

alohadoug
07-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Will you "loan" one to me? Send the frame to my FFL and the slide to me directly? LOL....I hate the laws here.

I came back to delete this post but I can't.

This was meant as a joke. While what I suggested would be legal, it does appear as I was suggesting something against the laws here in Mass. That was not my intention.

Doc_Glock
07-08-2017, 08:20 PM
I could not resist that price and ordered up a PX4. Can anyone tell me if the Compact will fit in a full sized holster as I have a Compact on the way as well?

MSparks909
07-08-2017, 09:17 PM
I could not resist that price and ordered up a PX4. Can anyone tell me if the Compact will fit in a full sized holster as I have a Compact on the way as well?

Depends on the holster. Leather will probably fit both. Kydex might if you back out the retention screws for the compact. The compact has a slightly wider slide than the full size.

DallasBronco
07-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Depends on the holster. Leather will probably fit both. Kydex might if you back out the retention screws for the compact. The compact has a slightly wider slide than the full size.
The slides are the same width but the contours at the muzzle end are slightly different.

LTC77406
07-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Just got this back from ROBAR. Yep, it's a full size PX4 configured with the mod 4 CC specs. Range time tomorrow!
Thanks, Ernest Langdon!17977179781797917980

dwcopple
07-10-2017, 03:01 PM
here is my Type C full-size with grey traction grip installed
http://i.imgur.com/GkIzZgp.jpg

here is the Hogue Powerspeed (?) holster with the Px4. I ran this in an IDPA match recently.
http://i.imgur.com/trhUrfG.jpg

Dagga Boy
07-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Just got this back from ROBAR. Yep, it's a full size PX4 configured with the mod 4 CC specs. Range time tomorrow!

Outstanding. I just did a deal to get a similar full size PX-4. Will be sending it to Robar to get done exactly the same way. Nice to see a finished gun just like what i envisioned.

Kyle Reese
07-10-2017, 03:05 PM
I love mine so much I'm ordering a second one for $375.

LockedBreech
07-10-2017, 03:18 PM
This thread is such a massive vindication of the dark horse I've been enjoying for 9 years. Definitely gonna need another PX4 or two.

STI
07-10-2017, 04:17 PM

Why no smooth hammer on the FS since it looks like you have it on the Compact?

Kyle Reese
07-10-2017, 04:26 PM
This thread is such a massive vindication of the dark horse I've been enjoying for 9 years. Definitely gonna need another PX4 or two.

You definitely need one or two more. One for the nightstand, one for the range bag and one for carry duty, no?

LTC77406
07-10-2017, 04:28 PM

I carry the CC and the spurless hammer makes it virtually impossible to snag on anything - also I got hammer bite with the regular hammer on the CC. Don't carry the FS so no big deal to me.

JohnN
07-10-2017, 04:28 PM
I bought a spur hammer for my full size, didn't need it, no hammer bite like the Compact.

E.L., any word on the fiber fronts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Kyle Reese
07-10-2017, 05:19 PM
FWIW, I've found the following mods to be very beneficial in terms of smoothing up the DA trigger, as well as reducing reset in SA. A sensible application of TW-25 or Lubriplate to the hammer strut & spring helped as well.

Wilson Combat Hammer Spring, Chrome Silicon 12# | Beretta 92/96 (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Hammer-Spring-Chrome-Silicon-12-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/721CS-12/)

Beretta PX4 Storm Competition Trigger Group (http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/px4-comptrigger-group/c8c205/)

Now I need suitable sight options, spare gun & an AIWB holster. :)

I find that shooting my fleet of 9mm Glocks is fast becoming a chore, and this Beretta is an absolute joy to shoot.

DAB
07-10-2017, 06:23 PM
short story from yesterday:

after our IDPA match, we had a short side match, 6 steel at 10 yards, as fast as you can. there was a young man who showed up as we were wrapping the main match up, and the MD and I got to talking to him. he was asked if he had brought a pistol along. No, he hadn't. so i offered to let him shoot my Px4 full size 9mm. well....YEAH!..so i shot the steel, others took their turns, and then it was his turn. i loaded the pistol up, showed him how it worked, and he started from low ready (no holster), with DA for first shot. he did great. he beat my time. with my own pistol and my own ammo! and he remarked that it was a very soft shooting pistol. he had been to a rental range the day prior and had tried different ones. but he liked this one.

i foresee his mom buying a nice pistol in the near future and he being allowed to borrow it (he's only 18, so he can't buy a pistol yet).

i ran the steel again, and did worse. he was thrilled. rotten kid. :)

357carbine
07-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Need mags for those new PX4's? BetettaUSA has them for $21.60 http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-px4-magazine-9mm-15-17-20-rds/jm4px917/ .

BJV
07-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Just got this back from ROBAR. Yep, it's a full size PX4 configured with the mod 4 CC specs.

Wow. Very nice!

Did ROBAR do the stipple work on that as well?

Clobbersaurus
07-10-2017, 07:57 PM
FWIW, I've found the following mods to be very beneficial in terms of smoothing up the DA trigger, as well as reducing reset in SA. A sensible application of TW-25 or Lubriplate to the hammer strut & spring helped as well.

Wilson Combat Hammer Spring, Chrome Silicon 12# | Beretta 92/96 (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Hammer-Spring-Chrome-Silicon-12-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/721CS-12/)

Beretta PX4 Storm Competition Trigger Group (http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/px4-comptrigger-group/c8c205/)

Now I need suitable sight options, spare gun & an AIWB holster. :)

I find that shooting my fleet of 9mm Glocks is fast becoming a chore, and this Beretta is an absolute joy to shoot.

TYR, I was under the impression that the competition trigger group did not reduce reset distance. If that is not the case I would be very happy, how much of a difference in reset are you getting?

LTC77406
07-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Wow. Very nice!

Did ROBAR do the stipple work on that as well?

Thanks! I'm betting it will shoot as good as it looks! Stippling was done by Alex Diaz - http://gungripcustoms.weebly.com/

beenalongtime
07-11-2017, 01:45 AM

I wish I could reach into that picture and grip those. The grip tape is good, but I think the stippling is what they should have had to begin with. The sights look like they differ some? From what I remember reading, they stick out wider then one slide, yet in your picture appear even with both.

here is my Type C full-size with grey traction grip installed
http://i.imgur.com/GkIzZgp.jpg

I remember when you got that for $250, which was a smoking deal. Do you still want to convert it to a D series though?

beenalongtime
07-11-2017, 01:56 AM

Which lubriplate? 130-AA, 130-AAA, 105, etc. etc.

LTC77406
07-11-2017, 06:36 AM
[QUOTE=beenalongtime;623740]I wish I could reach into that picture and grip those. The grip tape is good, but I think the stippling is what they should have had to begin with. The sights look like they differ some? From what I remember reading, they stick out wider then one slide, yet in your picture appear even with both.

The sights on the FS were "adjusted" to fit.

LangdonTactical
07-11-2017, 08:13 AM
I came back to delete this post but I can't.

This was meant as a joke. While what I suggested would be legal, it does appear as I was suggesting something against the laws here in Mass. That was not my intention.

No worries on my end.

dwcopple
07-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Do you still want to convert it to a D series though?
Actually, I am looking to sell it. No one wants to do a D for C swap and I really prefer second strike on hammer fired gun.

LangdonTactical
07-11-2017, 01:26 PM
So I did roll on past 20K on Sunday morning. Gun has been flawless and I have not had a hiccup of any kind in over 10K now. Once I started keeping my thumb off the slide stop and stopped pushing it on the slide, no issues at all. Even those three times were minor and easily fixed, even though they were shooter induced.

I did do a detail cleaning and took some pictures yesterday. I will try to get those up here this week. I replaced pretty much all the springs in the gun, the firing pin and firing pin stop as well as the extractor. Gun should be good to go for the next 10,000 rounds.

On a plane right now to the new Beretta factory in Tenn. Pretty excited about the meetings that I am having over the next couple of days.

I have figured out a few things about the PX4 full size in the last 20,000 rounds. I have another separate gun that is being experimented with and I am very excited about the results I am getting with that gun. Cool stuff coming if I can get Beretta to play ;)

STI
07-11-2017, 02:03 PM
I have figured out a few things about the PX4 full size in the last 20,000 rounds. I have another separate gun that is being experimented with and I am very excited about the results I am getting with that gun. Cool stuff coming if I can get Beretta to play ;)

Tease

LangdonTactical
07-11-2017, 04:32 PM
I am trying to post some pictures from the plane. Let's see how good the wifi is on Delta :)

LangdonTactical
07-11-2017, 04:36 PM

LangdonTactical
07-11-2017, 04:40 PM

LangdonTactical
07-11-2017, 04:46 PM

LangdonTactical
07-11-2017, 04:48 PM
The pictures looked a lot better on my phone. I have a new iPhone 7 now and my macro lens does not fit anymore :(

LangdonTactical
07-11-2017, 04:53 PM
One more photo to add to the tease of things to come, fingers crossed.

LearnedHat
07-11-2017, 04:56 PM
So . . . how many gun parts can you take on a plane?

LangdonTactical
07-11-2017, 05:08 PM
So . . . how many gun parts can you take on a plane?

LOL, these are all pictures I took before I got on the plane :)