PDA

View Full Version : Bill O'Reilly Out at Fox News

Chance
04-19-2017, 12:52 PM
From NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/bill-o-reilly-reportedly-out-fox-news-n748236):

Bill O'Reilly has reportedly been axed from Fox News.

O'Reilly will leave the network before he returns from vacation on April 24, according to New York Magazine, citing unnamed sources with knowledge of the discussion.

The future of Fox's ratings king had grown uncertain as reports swirled that the network was preparing to sever its relationship with him, but it appears that Rupert Murdoch, CEO of Fox News' parent company 21st Century Fox, has greenlighted the axing of the network's biggest star.

The news follows reporting by the New York Times that disclosed Bill O'Reilly and 21st Century Fox had settled multiple sexual harassment complaints against the network's top anchor over the years for a total of $13 million.

Now what remains is managing how that departure will unfold.

Personally, I never liked O'Reilly, but I'm not sure there's a talking head I do like. I'm sure he'll probably setup his own media empire, but I wonder what's going to happen to Fox News.

blues
04-19-2017, 12:54 PM
From NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/bill-o-reilly-reportedly-out-fox-news-n748236):

Personally, I never liked O'Reilly, but I'm not sure there's a talking head I do like. I'm sure he'll probably setup his own media empire, but I wonder what's going to happen to Fox News.

I've never liked him either. His arrogance and self absorbed persona just put me off. Is there anywhere he hasn't lived and worked? And he knows every subject better than the expert guests he has on his show so that he can interrupt them and tell them why he knows better.

What a douche.

Peally
04-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Meh, never watched Fox (or any news network) anyway so it's no loss to me.

Rex G
04-19-2017, 01:13 PM
There were times I was present while his show was playing, on a TV over which I had no control. I found him very annoying, to put it mildly.

RoyGBiv
04-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Interesting to see the reshuffling at Fox.
Never liked Bill the Bloviator.
Will be interesting to see who gets his slot.
Ben Shapiro?

Tucker Carlson is a poor replacement for Megyn Kelly, hopefully they do better with this one.

Kyle Reese
04-19-2017, 01:21 PM
Good. I despised his blowhard, neo-con tough guy schtick.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

BobLoblaw
04-19-2017, 01:22 PM
Meh, never watched Fox (or any news network) anyway so it's no loss to me.

TV news is for old people (no offense to the finely aged folks here) and airports.

NEPAKevin
04-19-2017, 01:23 PM
I liked the Legends and Lies, the Patriots series. Curious to see who fills the eight o'clock slot.

BobLoblaw
04-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Interesting to see the reshuffling at Fox.
Never liked Bill the Bloviator.
Will be interesting to see who gets his slot.
Ben Shapiro?

Tucker Carlson is a poor replacement for Megyn Kelly, hopefully they do better with this one.

I like Ben Shapiro and the way he frames his arguments but I wonder if he can hold back from proving his guests wrong.

blues
04-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Charles Krauthammer wouldn't be a bad choice. Even Dana Perino is much more reasonable than most of the other Fox style talking heads.

Tucker Carlson reminds me of someone who grew up with a silver spoon, had everything handed to him, attended prep school and tells everyone else about how they have to earn it. Oh wait, that is Tucker Carlson. I just want to beat him up and take his lunch money.

blues
04-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Just saw this on the AP wire...I hope this isn't their permanent "fix". I guess nobody can think outside the box at Fox. :rolleyes:

Fox said that Tucker Carlson's show would move to 8 p.m. to replace O'Reilly and that the panel talk show "The Five" would take Carlson's time slot at 9 p.m.

Zincwarrior
04-19-2017, 02:13 PM
TV news is for old people (no offense to the finely aged folks here) and airports.
If you look at their demographics, or just their commercials, you're literally correct.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-19-2017, 02:50 PM
All the news channels face a demographic crisis as their core viewers are heading for the Grime Reaper's van.

I hate panel shows - a collection of idiots in most cases (independent of political leanings). Tucker and the Five - well, Rupert - profits will be down.

Bill's next book: Killing My Talk Show Career.

Robinson
04-19-2017, 02:59 PM
I once emailed Bill to tell him I thought he was full of shit on the Stop and Frisk issue. Surprisingly he read my email on the air the next day. And basically said I am the one who is full of shit. Ah well. Haven't watched the show for some time. However, I did like the Legends & Lies shows about the American Patriots.

blues
04-19-2017, 03:03 PM
I once emailed Bill to tell him I thought he was full of shit on the Stop and Frisk issue. Surprisingly he read my email on the air the next day. And basically said I am the one who is full of shit. Ah well. Haven't watched the show for some time. However, I did like the Legends & Lies shows about the American Patriots.

He's a pinhead. You're a patriot. Full stop.

RoyGBiv
04-19-2017, 03:08 PM
I like Ben Shapiro and the way he frames his arguments but I wonder if he can hold back from proving his guests wrong.

Just like Bill O, but more correct with less bloviating. ;)

RoyGBiv
04-19-2017, 03:10 PM
If you look at their demographics, or just their commercials, you're literally correct.

Buying all that gold and silver is tiring. I love my MyPillow.

blues
04-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Buying all that gold and silver is tiring. I love my MyPillow.

I can't remember where I left the Prevagen! ;)

RJ
04-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Charles Krauthammer wouldn't be a bad choice. Even Dana Perino is much more reasonable than most of the other Fox style talking heads.

Tucker Carlson reminds me of someone who grew up with a silver spoon, had everything handed to him, attended prep school and tells everyone else about how they have to earn it. Oh wait, that is Tucker Carlson. I just want to beat him up and take his lunch money.

All of this. ^^^

RJ
04-19-2017, 03:33 PM

Get off my lawn!! :cool:

critter
04-19-2017, 03:36 PM
I haven't watched network propaganda in quite a while. O'Reilly and Kelly both annoyed the hell out of me. Most all of them are annoying. I do like the judges' commentaries though - Napolitano, Pirro, and ... damn... perhaps Ferrer? Especially Judge Napolitano. I enjoyed his regular segment quite a bit before it got the boot (of course I couldn't actually enjoy it much after it got the boot... sheesh... vexing vernacular).

Zincwarrior
04-19-2017, 03:43 PM
All of this. ^^^
Yes I watched Carlson for about two minutes and switched as the desire to shove his head into a toilet and start flushing was really, really strong. Admittedly I have the same reaction to most of those guys on Fox and MSNBC when I run across them and usually flip the channel in seconds.

Chance
04-19-2017, 03:52 PM

I'd still watch it, but I just got so freaking tired of hearing people scream at each other. I've started putting up with NPR's pinko shit just because the people their use their 'inside voices.'

Leroy
04-19-2017, 04:37 PM

Krauthammer is good. I also like Wallace, he shows some semblance of objectivity.

walker2713
04-19-2017, 04:45 PM

I'm old....but I still thought he was a Buffoon.

Stephanie B
04-19-2017, 04:59 PM

Agreed, but I'd let him keep his lunch money. :cool:

Stephanie B
04-19-2017, 05:04 PM
TV is very capitalistic: If the juice you provide to the network isn't worth the squeeze, your show is going to be axed. Even if your ratings are good, if enough of the advertisers walk away (and especially if they quit the network), out you go.

JHC
04-19-2017, 06:06 PM
Speaking of Tucker Carlson (no relation) here is a piece he did in 2004. Not many like it from journos. I don't like his stuff much but he's better than par.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a48032/private-armies-operation-iraqi-freedom/

Chance
04-19-2017, 06:42 PM
TV is very capitalistic: If the juice you provide to the network isn't worth the squeeze, your show is going to be axed. Even if your ratings are good, if enough of the advertisers walk away (and especially if they quit the network), out you go.

And it's worth noting Fox didn't fire him because he was harassing women, they fired him because the advertisers walked away.

blues
04-19-2017, 06:52 PM
And it's worth noting Fox didn't fire him because he was harassing women, they fired him because the advertisers walked away.

Either way, it involves the bottom line...so to speak.

Stephanie B
04-19-2017, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Chance
And it's worth noting Fox didn't fire him because he was harassing women, they fired him because the advertisers walked away.Either way, it involves the bottom line...so to speak.

{Rimshot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdVTCDdEwI)}

TDA
04-19-2017, 07:41 PM
They settled $13 million in sexual harassment suits? I'm sorry I didn't sue him last week.

TheNewbie
04-19-2017, 07:52 PM
They should get Larry Elder to take the spot. Dennis Prager and Larry Elder are just two of the reasons why radio is so much better than TV.

However, I do like Tucker Carlson. I could not stand Kelly and was glad to see her go.

Sean Hannity seems like a nice guy, but he is just not my style.

ydennekb
04-19-2017, 08:35 PM
Tough crowd. I really like Tucker Carlson even though I don't agree with everything he's said, and man has he come a long ways since the bow tie days. I think he does a good job of simplifying some issues that are unnecessarily complicated.

Robert Mitchum
04-19-2017, 10:36 PM
Dana Perino .. Beauty & Lots of Smarts !!

backtrail540
04-19-2017, 10:45 PM
My vote is for old Redeye, with Gutfeld at the helm, to take over the slot! That was always my favorite although it would never happen.

TheNewbie
04-19-2017, 11:05 PM
Tough crowd. I really like Tucker Carlson even though I don't agree with everything he's said, and man has he come a long ways since the bow tie days. I think he does a good job of simplifying some issues that are unnecessarily complicated.

That's how I feel. The old cross fire days I am glad are no more. Now he challenges the left in a reasonable manner.

What area of West Texas are you in? I am a tad jealous, I love it out your way.

Dana Perino truly represents what I find as beautiful in a lady.

NEPAKevin
04-20-2017, 01:51 PM
My vote is for old Redeye, with Gutfeld at the helm, to take over the slot! That was always my favorite although it would never happen.

Greg to Tom on Redeye's last show: "You killed my child!" Considering all the sexual harassment lawsuits, maybe a little preventative hiring would be in order in the way of a feminist host, like Andy Levy.

backtrail540
04-20-2017, 01:58 PM
It's funny because i really enjoy Tom Shillue. He's a bit awkward and quirky but that's what i think i dig, he's relatable. While i think Gutfeld is hands down better, and i personally would've let Andy take over when Greg left, i wasn't at all disappointed when Tom took the reins. Apparently the ratings disagreed with me though.

TheNewbie
04-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Greg to Tom on Redeye's last show: "You killed my child!" Considering all the sexual harassment lawsuits, maybe a little preventative hiring would be in order in the way of a feminist host, like Andy Levy.

Feminism has already done enough damage. Please no more!

I wonder just how much of an alternative universe working in the news world really is.

NEPAKevin
04-20-2017, 03:03 PM
It's funny because i really enjoy Tom Shillue. He's a bit awkward and quirky but that's what i think i dig, he's relatable. While i think Gutfeld is hands down better, and i personally would've let Andy take over when Greg left, i wasn't at all disappointed when Tom took the reins. Apparently the ratings disagreed with me though.

My take was that when Greg left, the guests went to shit. While the old Redeye had a quirky variety of guests, some of whom were even respectable members of their fields, there were some nights where Tom's panels were for all intents and purposes nothing but stand-up comedians filling a chair.

ydennekb
04-20-2017, 05:00 PM
I'm in Odessa right now, don't be jealous! We were and still may be #1 in the state for violent crime per capita. I spend most of my time in the Big Bend area though, I'm guessing that's more like what you were thinking.

That's how I feel. The old cross fire days I am glad are no more. Now he challenges the left in a reasonable manner.

What area of West Texas are you in? I am a tad jealous, I love it out your way.

Dana Perino truly represents what I find as beautiful in a lady.

TheNewbie
04-20-2017, 06:05 PM
I'm in Odessa right now, don't be jealous! We were and still may be #1 in the state for violent crime per capita. I spend most of my time in the Big Bend area though, I'm guessing that's more like what you were thinking.

Yea I try to go to Big Bend every year, or at least to the Guadalupe Mountains. I ate in Odessa once, never again.....