PDA

View Full Version : CCW Breakaway Slacks

lcarr
12-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Below is a review I wrote a while back for CCW Breakaway slacks. Given my professed love of the 1911 trigger in another thread, I thought it might be interesting for people to see that I don't always think it's the best solution.

Since I wrote this, I've used these slacks about once a week. They work very well for this purpose; I intend to buy more.

I've continued to use a Glock 29 with them, with no other safety device. This gun is fairly stock, except it has a smooth G20 trigger and a factory "-" connector. The trigger measures about 4.125#. Worried a little bit about the gun's use with these slacks, I installed an NY trigger spring, bringing the weight up to over 7#, but immediately remembered why I hate the NY trigger spring and removed it. I still might be willing to argue that this is one case where a trigger that is longer and heavier than the Glock, at least for the first shot, is desirable. (Don't have a heart attack, Todd. :p)

--------------------

I continually use a pocket to carry an S&W 640 when very deep concealment is required. I've put a lot of thought into improving my capability when this level of concealment is required, but have never come up with better solution.

Monday, I read the article in the new SWAT about CCW Breakaway slacks. These pants have large front pockets with velcro that allows one to adjust them for the size of a gun. Additionally, two snaps at the top of the pocket break open to allow an unobstructed draw, which is where they get their name. I ordered a pair that night; they arrived today.

They look pretty good. I usually prefer slacks without pleats, but, in this case, the slightly baggy form follows function. They're a little high waisted, but that might be to accommodate the snaps. The pockets seem to be made out of extra thick material that should wear well.

I tried three different guns. First, I adjusted the pocket for a Glock 29, with which I use Pearce magazine base plates with a finger extension. The gun concealed well. The pocket allowed for a very fast draw, subjectively. Next, I tried an S&W 625-10, which has a 2" barrel and scandium-frame. Even with very sharp checkering on the hammer, I had no trouble drawing the gun smoothly. Finally, I used a full size, all steel 1911 with a huge magwell, just to see whether I could. Surprisingly, it wasn't ridiculous. The pants supported the weight well and concealment was fine. Drawing the pistol several times from a cocked and locked position, the gun never snagged.

Despite the good experiences with the draw strokes, I would still be a little nervous carrying a cocked and locked 1911--especially one with an ambidextrous safety that could be wiped off and a very light trigger. The only things covering the trigger guard are the outer layer of the slacks and the pocket material. With the Glock 29, I was able to pull the trigger through the pants, though it took a very deliberate action. I might be a little more comfortable with the revolver's DA trigger, but plan to go forward with the Glock regardless, since I shoot the Glock a little faster than the revolver. I may've finally found the question to the answer given by a DA/SA semiauto. :D

Being well practiced in drawing from a pocket, I did not use the draw stroke given by CCW Breakaways on their website. Their motion includes a deliberate flexing outward of the wrist to open the snaps. Even using large guns, the pocket opening was big enough that I did not open the snaps when drawing. I see the snaps as more of a fail-safe than something that needs to be opened purposefully on every draw.

There is a question about how to carry a spare magazine. The pockets have velcro strips that work with pouches CCW Breakaways calls MagSocks. I did not order one with the slacks. They might be a good product, but I don't want to give up both of my front pockets. I haven't figured out a good way to carry my keys, etc., without using my front pocket. Perhaps someone has a suggestion. That said, I put my spare magazine loose in my left rear pocket, which may be a half-assed solution, so to speak. Thinking the problem through, this might be a great application for a tuckable IWB mag carrier.

I took the Glock, with the spare magazine in the rear pocket, through my normal 25 minute dry fire session. I repeated only one drill: draw, "shoot" the upper A/B zone of 3 USPSA targets at 10 yards, reload, and shoot the same targets again in reverse order. (This is in Steve Anderson's first dry fire drill book.) I only botched grabbing the spare magazine once. I used a par time that was 0.9 seconds higher than the par I use for belt carry with a covering garment. Most of that extra time was likely due to the awkwardness of getting the magazine, instead of the pocket carry of the gun. It was a huge success; I am going to use this set-up tomorrow.