PDA

View Full Version : Bosch season 3 releasing

Leroy Suggs
04-18-2017, 05:01 PM
Bosch 3 available the 21st on Amazon.
Just a heads up because I know lots of you fellows like Bosch.

blues
04-18-2017, 05:35 PM
In many ways I like the show better than the several books I read. They turned him into too much of a cartoon superhero in the books and it quickly grated. Plus I've always enjoyed Titus Welliver's work.

RoyGBiv
04-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Best news all day!

ranger
04-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Looking forward to it. 1911 too!

RJ
04-18-2017, 08:03 PM
This is outfuckingstanding. Bosch is one of the best shows out there. Can't wait to see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

okie john
04-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Definitely going to check this out. I want his house.

Okie John

Greg
04-18-2017, 08:34 PM

mmc45414
04-18-2017, 08:51 PM
1911 too!
And I think the occasional 340.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

FNFAN
04-19-2017, 04:16 AM
Definitely going to check this out. I want his house.
Okie John

Fair deal. You take the house. I'll take the Ex:

SJC3081
04-19-2017, 06:02 AM
delete

Hambo
04-19-2017, 06:35 AM
In many ways I like the show better than the several books I read. They turned him into too much of a cartoon superhero in the books and it quickly grated. Plus I've always enjoyed Titus Welliver's work.

The first few books were OK, but then they started reading like screenplays for action movies. The show has been excellent all the way through.

MistWolf
04-19-2017, 11:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkPRgxcvX-4

MistWolf
04-20-2017, 01:38 PM
One more day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AOwwasZ2WA

idahojess
04-20-2017, 11:38 PM
Actually up on Amazon now--

blues
04-21-2017, 08:09 AM
I'll definitely be watching tonight after baseball.

RoyGBiv
04-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Maybe someone can clue me in... ?

What's the business model that supports Amazon paying to produce Bosch?
Do they get more prime memberships from it? Seems unlikely, not enough to cover the cost, I would assume.
Commercial revenue? No.

I'm certainly not complaining.

GardoneVT
04-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Maybe someone can clue me in... ?

What's the business model that supports Amazon paying to produce Bosch?
Do they get more prime memberships from it? Seems unlikely, not enough to cover the cost, I would assume.
Commercial revenue? No.

I'm certainly not complaining.

Hollywood is all about scale. That's why you see $2.00 DVD B movies at your favorite gas station- because if just 50,000 people out of the 200 odd million US residents buy one ,and the movie costs $50,000 to make the producers collect that much in revenue.

For Amazon and Netflix movie streaming firms,the problem they have is getting quality content. Traditional studios won't license their best work to streaming providers because it competes with existing cable companies, and when they do it's not cheap. So Amazon and Netflix cut out the studio middleman and produce the series themselves.

It's a win win for both the creative staff and Amazon, since neither is tied down by legacy studio system bullshit that ruins traditional shows. There's no way Bosch would be this gritty on a network television station like NBC- and the actors and writers know their shows WILL get airtime ,instead of being cancelled or buried by studio execs with their own agendas.

Capitalism,ain't it grand.

RoyGBiv
04-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Hollywood is all about scale. That's why you see $2.00 DVD B movies at your favorite gas station- because if just 50,000 people out of the 200 odd million US residents buy one ,and the movie costs $50,000 to make the producers collect that much in revenue.

For Amazon and Netflix movie streaming firms,the problem they have is getting quality content. Traditional studios won't license their best work to streaming providers because it competes with existing cable companies, and when they do it's not cheap. So Amazon and Netflix cut out the studio middleman and produce the series themselves.

It's a win win for both the creative staff and Amazon, since neither is tied down by legacy studio system bullshit that ruins traditional shows. There's no way Bosch would be this gritty on a network television station like NBC- and the actors and writers know their shows WILL get airtime ,instead of being cancelled or buried by studio execs with their own agendas.

Capitalism,ain't it grand.
I understand Capitalism quite well, but I don't see it very clearly here... Seems clear to me that Amazon.com is subsidizing Amazon original TV...
Are Prime subscriptions the only revenue stream for Bosch? There's not any advertising (yet?). How many people sign up for Amazon Prime "because... Bosch"?...

Let's say it cost $1M/episode (I think that number is light, but for discussion) to produce x 10 episodes = $10/season... At $100/year for Prime, does Amazon see 100,000 new subscribers per year because... Bosch?

How to make good TV for the web, according to Amazon (http://fortune.com/2014/05/13/how-to-make-good-tv-for-the-web-according-to-amazon/)

How does the business model for original programming work for Amazon?

Our business model is fairly straightforward because we have a subscription service so the goal of our program is simply to attract people to Amazon Prime. You’ve got a full subscription video service with movies and TV shows and then by the way, we’ll give you free two-day shipping on the world’s biggest Internet retailer for free.

Why does this make sense for Amazon?

Because it’s all about providing value for customers, making the service feel unique and distinctive, and having a relationship with customers where they are coming back . . . Part of the purpose of original content is to get people to really engage with the service.

NickA
04-21-2017, 02:13 PM
I don't know exactly how the economics​ work, but by way of comparison I've read that Netflix spent $6 BILLION on creating original programming last year. And they don't even have content that you can pay to own like Amazon, subscription fees is it for revenue.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Hambo
04-21-2017, 03:10 PM
Michael Connelly has sold 60 million books worldwide and over 1 million on Kindle. That's a huge base to draw viewers to the show. Single episodes of the first two seasons are $3 each for those patient enough not to get Prime, so the show keeps earning.

The hook to Prime is that you keep ordering shit, not just movies.

RoyGBiv
04-21-2017, 03:30 PM
^^^ My view is that Amazon justifies the cost based on "synergies".. More original content drives up eyeballs which drives Prime which drives Amazon.com and so on..
Was just confirming that I'm not missing some obvious direct revenue stream where more Bosch = Cash...

/tangent.

mmc45414
04-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Maybe someone can clue me in... ? What's the business model that supports Amazon paying to produce Bosch?

I wondered the same thing, and there was an article floating around that was quite interesting about the ability for the cable networks to create content rather than buy it. The numbers really were stunning, and I think it had to do some with being able to efficiently develop high value product. If you license HBO, you get the chaff with the wheat for a pay one price fee.

I am more puzzled by how they can afford to ship me a pair of $6 Speed Strips while charging me the same as I also pay for Netflix.

ETA: They are estimated to have 15-20 million subscribers @ $8mo, they got some cash to spend on speculative endeavors.

GardoneVT
04-21-2017, 07:05 PM
One wonders what kind of firearms training network we could create if 10% of the 200,000,000 odd gun owners in America paid in $5.00 per month.

AMC
04-22-2017, 03:43 AM
Watched the first two episodes last night....Forced myself to stop at two. Pretty good so far, but you can see where this is going, and who is likely behind it.

Kyle Reese
04-22-2017, 03:50 AM
Watched the first two episodes last night....Forced myself to stop at two. Pretty good so far, but you can see where this is going, and who is likely behind it.

Is he still rocking the 1911 in a kydex OWB rig?

blues
04-22-2017, 09:11 AM

Only watched one last night and maybe get a second in tonight before the hockey game starts. Good to have the series back.

MistWolf
04-22-2017, 01:14 PM
I started watching Season 3, but realized I had to go back and watch the first two seasons to refresh in my head what's going on. Another thing that makes it confusing is that they mix story elements from various books and not always in order. One episode can carry story arcs from three or four novels. I like the blend, although I found it difficult to sort it all out while trying to explain it to my wife.

I like the novels. I'm working on book 12 at the moment. I'm not reading them, I'm listening to them on Audible. My biggest gripe is the author gets so many obvious things wrong about firearms. But I grew up in and around the area where the the novels take place and I feel like the author gets LA. I like that he writes about LA in the moment. I find myself thinking "Yeah, I remember when that happened. I remember that place." It's the same thing with the series. I see places I've been, views I've taken in, parks where we played, places we've eaten.

I'll never live in California again, but it's interesting as a (now) outsider to see the Greater Los Angeles Area through the eyes of an insider. I'm seeing LA from a perspective I never would have had if I still lived there. I didn't realize just how unique the LA experience is and was and how quickly it keeps changing and evolving. Yet, Los Angeles has roots deep in tradition. Bosch helps me see LA with fresh and appreciative eyes. It's why I love the books and the show

AlwaysLearning
04-22-2017, 01:34 PM

Sure is. Looks like a Raven Phantom to me.

HCM
04-22-2017, 04:01 PM

Yes. kimber in a Raven Phantom with a Raven double mag pouch.

CleverNickname
04-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Yes. kimber in a Raven Phantom with a Raven double mag pouch.

With his magazines bullets backwards. That annoys me for some reason.

HCM
04-22-2017, 06:44 PM

At least they are both in the same direction.

HCM
04-22-2017, 06:47 PM
I started watching Season 3, but realized I had to go back and watch the first two seasons to refresh in my head what's going on. Another thing that makes it confusing is that they mix story elements from various books and not always in order. One episode can carry story arcs from three or four novels. I like the blend, although I found it difficult to sort it all out while trying to explain it to my wife.

I like the novels. I'm working on book 12 at the moment. I'm not reading them, I'm listening to them on Audible. My biggest gripe is the author gets so many obvious things wrong about firearms. But I grew up in and around the area where the the novels take place and I feel like the author gets LA. I like that he writes about LA in the moment. I find myself thinking "Yeah, I remember when that happened. I remember that place." It's the same thing with the series. I see places I've been, views I've taken in, parks where we played, places we've eaten.

I'll never live in California again, but it's interesting as a (now) outsider to see the Greater Los Angeles Area through the eyes of an insider. I'm seeing LA from a perspective I never would have had if I still lived there. I didn't realize just how unique the LA experience is and was and how quickly it keeps changing and evolving. Yet, Los Angeles has roots deep in tradition. Bosch helps me see LA with fresh and appreciative eyes. It's why I love the books and the show

Interesting. I had considered reading the books. The TV show generally does firearms well.

Wobblie
04-22-2017, 08:31 PM
Interesting. I had considered reading the books. The TV show generally does firearms well.

The books are excellent, all except "Nine Dragons" which really sucked.

GardoneVT
04-23-2017, 12:25 AM
If my hunch about the storyline for Season 3 is correct, we are in for a banner finale.

CleverNickname
04-23-2017, 01:05 PM
If my hunch about the storyline for Season 3 is correct, we are in for a banner finale.

They definitely set it up for a fourth season.

blues
04-23-2017, 01:13 PM
We'll be watching again tonight...(episode 3 of the new season). Got pumped up for it with a "Harry Bosch" playlist on Spotify this morning.

One thing I always liked about the Bosch character in the novels and show is his love for good, classic straight-ahead jazz.

Read an interesting article this morning on Connelly's site (http://www.michaelconnelly.com/extras/sound/) about "Lullaby" by the late Frank Morgan and how Connelly used it as musical inspiration for the Bosch character. Good stuff.

HCM
04-23-2017, 01:27 PM
They definitely set it up for a fourth season.

Looking forward to it.

AMC
04-23-2017, 02:06 PM
Okay.....much as I love this show, one thing about the TV Bosch annoys the hell out of me: His propensity for "open-carry". Walking around LA, after his shift, or even during, taking meetings with DA's etc., without any concealing garment over his pistola, mags and badge. Nope. Just nope. Yeah, I know guys who do it......and I won't work with any of them. The mindset failure doesn't fit the character.

HCM
04-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Okay.....much as I love this show, one thing about the TV Bosch annoys the hell out of me: His propensity for "open-carry". Walking around LA, after his shift, or even during, taking meetings with DA's etc., without any concealing garment over his pistola, mags and badge. Nope. Just nope. Yeah, I know guys who do it......and I won't work with any of them. The mindset failure doesn't fit the character.

Down here we call that "Walker Texas Ranger" carry. Some times you have to when it is 100 plus here but 1) CA ain't Texas, and 2) LA is supposed to have "perfect" weather.

As an FI the backwards mags bother me too, but as noted, not as much as having mags pointed in two different directions.

My favorite detail - the sign posted at his desk. "Get off your ass and knock on doors".

As I try to impress on our youngsters, homework is important but you don't make cases in the office.

blues
04-23-2017, 02:27 PM

I remember when I worked out of the federal building in NYC in the 80's, the late Ken Walton, (the flamboyant #2 for the FBI which was upstairs from our outfit), used to make a show of wearing his gun at 6 o'clock while sitting sans jacket in McGovern's Bar, a favorite haunt for feds and cops on the west side.

One day when I'd had one or two myself, I had to be held back by one of my LE buddies as it was all I could do to keep from pulling his gun out of his holster while it was sticking through the opening in the back of his wooden chair into the aisle. I couldn't believe the man's need for an audience. (Fortunately for me I didn't perform the career ending maneuver.)

I wonder if any of the members here worked with or remember him. He never met a camera he didn't like.

In Miami it was de rigueur to walk around with only a tucked polo and badge and gun OWB. I never felt comfortable doing so and would wear on my ankle if my firearm wasn't covered.

blues
04-23-2017, 02:31 PM
Down here we call that "Walker Texas Ranger" carry. Some times you have to when it is 100 plus here but 1) CA ain't Texas, and 2) LA is supposed to have "perfect" weather.

As an FI the backwards mags bother me too, but as noted, not as much as having mags pointed in two different directions.

My favorite detail - the sign posted at his desk. "Get off your ass and knock on doors".

As I try to impress on our youngsters, homework is important but you don't make cases in the office.

My old supe in NY, Louie T. used to always tell us to get out of the office into the street and "strike while the iron was hot". He was one of the best and I'll always remember him fondly.

AMC
04-23-2017, 02:39 PM
I know climate plays in to this a lot......And LA is definitely hotter than NorCal most days in the summer......But there's also a context difference. On a call out? Working a scene? Yeah, I'm perfectly fine with that. Grabbing lunch on duty? Coffee? Nope. Just nope. And grabbing Mexican takeout for you and your kid on the way home? Absofucknglutely not. We have some young guys in one of our Plainclothes units that has citywide responsibility who routinely wear thin tshirts, jeans, a pistol carried OWB, badge concealed......And a cell phone. No radio. No cuffs. No spare magazines. Because cool. They are about as skilled at surveillance/investigation as our experienced members hear might imagine. But they believe they are LAPD SIS.

HCM
04-23-2017, 02:50 PM
My old supe in NY, Louie T. used to always tell us to get out of the office into the street and "strike while the iron was hot". He was one of the best and I'll always remember him fondly.

I might or might not have such a sign in my cubicle....,,

Kyle Reese
04-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Gonna tune in to episode one tonight.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

GardoneVT
04-23-2017, 05:04 PM

I'd chalk it up to Hollywood character establishment,actually .

Notice how no other plainclothes cop shown in the series is openly carrying in day to day situations. Not the Lt,not the Captain,not even the on-duty detail for the Assistant Chief. Bosch does,because He's Different. He doesn't hide his nature as a gun packing bulldog even when prudence says he should,either visibly or on his cases.

Bosch as a series does a great job of using the scenery to define the characters- the visuals are more cerebral then just looking cool on TV. Another reflection of Bosch's confrontational ways - he drives a lifted Jeep Cherokee in a town that worships electric and imported cars.

HCM
04-23-2017, 06:17 PM

Notice how no other plainclothes cop shown in the series is openly carrying in day to day situations. Not the Lt,not the Captain,not even the on-duty detail for the Assistant Chief. Bosch does,because He's Different. He doesn't hide his nature as a gun packing bulldog even when prudence says he should,either visibly or on his cases.

Bosch as a series does a great job of using the scenery to define the characters- the visuals are more cerebral then just looking cool on TV. Another reflection of Bosch's confrontational ways - he drives a lifted Jeep Cherokee in a town that worships electric and imported cars.

I agree - dramatic devices to show "he's a Maverick". Still, as TV cop shows go, it's not bad.

FNFAN
04-23-2017, 06:43 PM

Harry, Turn your magazines the right way, roll down your sleeves, get a holster with active retention and fer goodness sake put the headrests back in your cvpi, I don't care if it makes you look like a kid driving Dad's car!

That said some of the cinematography is wonderful. The dead guy on the beach was stunning. Great series!

mmc45414
04-23-2017, 08:32 PM
Watching now. My TV routine is the day's carry is on the table next to the chair, tonight it is my Springfield MO... :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

MistWolf
04-29-2017, 09:44 PM
Now comes the wait for Season 4

okie john
04-30-2017, 12:45 AM

It bugs me that his pistol and his spare mags are both so far back. I get that it looks good on camera, but Bosch spends a LOT of time in cars, and that's just not compatible with wearing that stuff in the small of your back.

Okie John

AMC
04-30-2017, 04:09 AM
Ha! Was noticing how far back the holster and mag we're watching the last two episodes tonight. Don't know that I like the turn Harry's taken. Don't wanna spoil it for anyone, but...just wow.

blues
04-30-2017, 08:50 AM
It bugs me that his pistol and his spare mags are both so far back. I get that it looks good on camera, but Bosch spends a LOT of time in cars, and that's just not compatible with wearing that stuff in the small of your back.

Okie John

Ha! Was noticing how far back the holster and mag we're watching the last two episodes tonight. Don't know that I like the turn Harry's taken. Don't wanna spoil it for anyone, but...just wow.

I often wonder if the technical advisers are overridden by folks who only care about appearance without concern for reality...but in that vein, the TV show is much more realistic than the novels.

I remember in one of the several books in the series that I read, an incident where Bosch, a guy in his (at least) middle to late 50's gets involved in a life threatening altercation...plunges into a swift current and is able to extricate himself from his bonds while being driven downstream (and under) by the current.

It was more than I could stand and I got up and started railing about the book to my wife who is used to my complaining about books and movies that don't know how not to ruin a good thing with utter bullshit.

If I wanted to read a comic book I'd pick up a comic book. Authors and directors shouldn't insult our intelligence unless the intent is utter fantasy from the get-go.

Rant over.

HCM
04-30-2017, 09:12 AM
It's a TV show. The fact he carries a weapon actually authorize by LAPD, cuffs and two reloads and doesn't use a shoulder holster is pretty good for TV.

okie john
04-30-2017, 10:15 AM
I often wonder if the technical advisers are overridden by folks who only care about appearance without concern for reality...but in that vein, the TV show is much more realistic than the novels.

I remember in one of the several books in the series that I read, an incident where Bosch, a guy in his (at least) middle to late 50's gets involved in a life threatening altercation...plunges into a swift current and is able to extricate himself from his bonds while being driven downstream (and under) by the current.

It was more than I could stand and I got up and started railing about the book to my wife who is used to my complaining about books and movies that don't know how not to ruin a good thing with utter bullshit.

If I wanted to read a comic book I'd pick up a comic book. Authors and directors shouldn't insult our intelligence unless the intent is utter fantasy from the get-go.

Rant over.

Yep. He's Harry Bosch, not Harry Houdini.

Okie John

blues
04-30-2017, 10:28 AM
Yep. He's Harry Bosch, not Harry Houdini.

Okie John

And we know where poor Harry Houdini is now...buried a short walking distance from my wife's old neighborhood in the 75th Pct. on the border with Ridgewood.

https://abandonednyc.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/abandonednyc_queens_machpelah-cemetery_houdini_grave-003.jpg?w=750&h=500

blues
04-30-2017, 10:37 AM
The Harry Bosch character has great taste in music...

https://youtu.be/7z9IxXO9d9U?list=PLr3HbVNunpGtIzAGscuAqKZDY40ZiU3u V

MistWolf
04-30-2017, 11:28 AM

Rant over.

If you're talking about the novel The Narrows, Bosch wasn't bound when he went into the river. Bosch dragged Backus (the badguy) and himself over the edge and into the water during a struggle for Bosch's handgun

blues
04-30-2017, 11:40 AM
If you're talking about the novel The Narrows, Bosch wasn't bound when he went into the river. Bosch dragged Backus (the badguy) and himself over the edge and into the water during a struggle for Bosch's handgun

Honestly, I can't remember which book is which anymore. I read about ten or so and the titles no longer have any meaning to me regarding the action within the covers.

Nevertheless, though I enjoyed the character for the most part I judge such books by what I would do (investigation-wise) under the same set of circumstances and by what a real flesh and blood LEO would be able to do (making a certain allowance for a bit of suspension of reality) when confronted and beset by a life threatening scenario.

There are always weak spots in all these stories because the action isn't always taken to the logical end that would have occurred 99 out 100 times on the street. That's entertainment!

MistWolf
04-30-2017, 12:20 PM
From books 1 through 14, The Narrows is the only one where Bosch falls in a river.

What I have trouble with is Bosch is a bit sporadic about learning from his mistakes. It also seems Connelly has a hard time deciding if Bosch is an honorable cop, or if Bosch plays it a bit fast and loose

blues
04-30-2017, 12:52 PM
From books 1 through 14, The Narrows is the only one where Bosch falls in a river.

What I have trouble with is Bosch is a bit sporadic about learning from his mistakes. It also seems Connelly has a hard time deciding if Bosch is an honorable cop, or if Bosch plays it a bit fast and loose

Everybody in LE cuts corners in one way or another to get the job done but there's a line between pushing the limits and being dishonest.
That said, some of the stuff portrayed in the current season of the show would have provided pause for further reflection.

There are a few rules I hold inviolable...honoring one's oath (both to uphold the constitution as well as one's oath in court), not taking bribes or otherwise working with bad guys (except for informants you are working), not beating a subject in custody among them. Surveillance on one's own time in furtherance of a case is okay as long as you don't violate the subject's rights in doing so.

For the most part, I'm okay with Bosch. And I like when he's portrayed as human...and not a superhero capable of feats that defy credibility.

MistWolf
04-30-2017, 05:54 PM
I'm good with Bosch. What bothers me are the inconsistencies of character in the storytelling. Obviously not enough that I don't enjoy the books

blues
04-30-2017, 06:20 PM
I'm good with Bosch. What bothers me are the inconsistencies of character in the storytelling. Obviously not enough that I don't enjoy the books

You would know better than I as I haven't kept up with the series over the past five or six books at a guess. That said, I wonder about the inconsistencies.

Obviously Bosch is a fictional character based both in imagination and stories the author may have been privy to...but speaking for myself as a career LEO and many others I worked with in federal, state and local agencies, it would not be unusual to see a range of behaviors from folks one might consider eminently steadfast on any given day.

That range might display itself in anger, violence, prevarication, theft, depression, drugs, gambling, alcohol, etc. I guess pretty much like we see in any other walk of life in society at large. So, a person who might be a pillar of virtue one day...and someone who was a guest in your home and considered "an oak", might turn out, (surprise, surprise), to be taking bribes or facilitating on behalf of criminal organizations. I've seen this at first hand, very personally. Or just fall prey to any of the million things that can trip us up.

Maybe the lack of a "straight line" Harry is just indicative of how "human" his character really is. Lord knows it's a never ending battle to maintain your integrity in this world and once you slip, it's a long way down.

Then again, I'm just riffing here in the dark. Hopefully it's food for thought.

HCM
04-30-2017, 06:33 PM

They are not mutually exclusive.

blues
04-30-2017, 06:41 PM
They are not mutually exclusive.

You could've saved me a lot of typing if you'd just posted that a few minutes ago...;)

Eli
04-30-2017, 07:04 PM

In the pilot episode, he was carrying a single spare mag for his 1911....only it was a double stack 9mm magazine. At least they got that one fixed pretty quickly.

What bugs me most now about the gear (this is coming from someone that has absolutely zero LEO experience), is that Bosch's partner, J. Edgar, is carrying in a left handed shoulder holster, under his left arm. The thumb snap on his holster is on the outside, rather than the inside, where it's supposed to be.

GardoneVT
04-30-2017, 07:36 PM
In the pilot episode, he was carrying a single spare mag for his 1911....only it was a double stack 9mm magazine. At least they got that one fixed pretty quickly.

What bugs me most now about the gear (this is coming from someone that has absolutely zero LEO experience), is that Bosch's partner, J. Edgar, is carrying in a left handed shoulder holster, under his left arm. The thumb snap on his holster is on the outside, rather than the inside, where it's supposed to be.

J. Edgar had his gear sorted out well enough this season,if nothing else.

There's two themes I'll hit upon.One - part of the strength of "Bosch" is that every character is compromising their principles. Good guys and bad. The protagonist compromises department policy for the good of his cases and being down the bad guy(s). His partner compromises his family life for the sake of the job. Bosch's boss compromises department policy and her own career prospects for the sake of his casework. Irving cut a deal with an ambitious DA that turned the LAPD into a political instrument.

The only character who's not playing fast and loose with their moral principles is Bosch's daughter.
Which where the story gets its meat from- the notion that the bad guys and the good guys might not be so different. It's why that scene from "Heat" where Pachino and DeNiro share a coffee is so powerful. While Hollywood plays fast and loose with the public service side to make the point (DA orders a prison uncuffed against LAPD regs on tape?) ,there's some philosophical questions to chew on for public servants.

As far as the holster and gun setups go, I'd just as soon let it be. Sometimes the propmaster -especially for TV shows on a budget- might not be able to procure an exact firearm a character is supposed to use. A MARSOC dude may realistically rock a MC or M45 1911,but the propmaster in the filming location could have access to a Colt Government,or a Beretta 92. So they pick one and we bitch about it on the gunternet.

Part of it is also storytelling. I like how Edgar always wears top notch clothing,only to have them ruined by crime scenes and for the story to point it out. Realistically a tenured detective probably won't wear three piece suits to a job involving frequent contact with corpses and dirty places, but entertainment.

Frankly if Bosch were filmed realistically, we'd have three seasons of two detectives printing forms ,stapling reports,and using telephones. Cue opening shot of Bosch's 1911 next to a busted copier. So I'm OK with the screenplay taking liberties .

HCM
04-30-2017, 07:58 PM
J. Edgar had his gear sorted out well enough this season,if nothing else.

There's two themes I'll hit upon.One - part of the strength of "Bosch" is that every character is compromising their principles. Good guys and bad. The protagonist compromises department policy for the good of his cases and being down the bad guy(s). His partner compromises his family life for the sake of the job. Bosch's boss compromises department policy and her own career prospects for the sake of his casework. Irving cut a deal with an ambitious DA that turned the LAPD into a political instrument.

The only character who's not playing fast and loose with their moral principles is Bosch's daughter.
Which where the story gets its meat from- the notion that the bad guys and the good guys might not be so different. It's why that scene from "Heat" where Pachino and DeNiro share a coffee is so powerful. While Hollywood plays fast and loose with the public service side to make the point (DA orders a prison uncuffed against LAPD regs on tape?) ,there's some philosophical questions to chew on for public servants.

As far as the holster and gun setups go, I'd just as soon let it be. Sometimes the propmaster -especially for TV shows on a budget- might not be able to procure an exact firearm a character is supposed to use. A MARSOC dude may realistically rock a MC or M45 1911,but the propmaster in the filming location could have access to a Colt Government,or a Beretta 92. So they pick one and we bitch about it on the gunternet.

Part of it is also storytelling. I like how Edgar always wears top notch clothing,only to have them ruined by crime scenes and for the story to point it out. Realistically a tenured detective probably won't wear three piece suits to a job involving frequent contact with corpses and dirty places, but entertainment.

Frankly if Bosch were filmed realistically, we'd have three seasons of two detectives printing forms ,stapling reports,and using telephones. Cue opening shot of Bosch's 1911 next to a busted copier. So I'm OK with the screenplay taking liberties .

1) My guess was J Edgar was rocking a shoulder holster because of some variation of ladies love it and / or is doesn't ruin the lines of his suit.

2) You want reality - there's a show for that - The First 48.

Speaking of J Edgar, he has an off duty j frame in addition to his Glock. I recall Bosch rocking a J frame off duty in season 1 or 2 ( can't recall which).

Busted copiers are no joke ...

MistWolf
04-30-2017, 10:28 PM
The spiffy clothes that J. Edgar (Get it? J. Edgar?) wears is a nod to the J. Edgar in the novels who was successfully doing real estate on the side. In the first novel, he was making more than enough money to afford the suits. By the time the second novel comes out, the market has crashed and J. Edgar is hurting financially.

I gave up many years ago, expecting Hollywood to get details of firearms right. In that respect, Bosch I think is one of the better shows.

The inconsistencies I find in Bosch's character (note that there is a difference between inconsistencies and character flaws) come as a reader and aspiring author, not because I'm thinking "That's not how cops work" or because it makes Bosch a dirty cop. I like looking for the clues the author is laying down to see if I can guess what's coming. If a character does something out of character to fit the scene, that's lazy writing. It's better to rewrite the scene to fit what the character would do. Still, I really like Harry Bosch.

But I love the gritty feel of the story world. I love visiting many places in the Greater Los Angeles area. Connelly even captures the feel and texture of those places. In one episode of the show, they go to the same Norm's Restaurant my grandparents have taken us to since I was a kid and sit at one of my Grandmother's favorite tables. I have seen the same views from Mulholland Drive. I've stopped many times at the very spot the car was parked with the body of the porn director in the trunk, to look out over The Valley to the north. They shot a few scenes at the cliffs just north of the Santa Monica Pier. When I was a kid, I went to the same cliffs several times to watch the fireworks show every Fourth of July. For me, the Bosch stories bring back a lot of memories.

Titus doesn't match the physical description of Bosch in the novels, but he nails the character. I don't think any other actor could do it

blues
04-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Titus doesn't match the physical description of Bosch in the novels, but he nails the character. I don't think any other actor could do it

I agree that he didn't fit my mental image of Bosch. Why I like him in the role is because he is so ordinary from a physical demeanor standpoint.

I feel that that "ordinariness" is what allows the underlying (complexity of the) character / persona to come to the fore.

Eli
05-01-2017, 03:05 AM
One thing I will say...more about Amazon than Bosch, they've absolutely floored me with how good this show is...quite probably my favorite "crime" show ever.

I really wish that Amazon would do the same with the Lucas Davenport/Prey series.

FNFAN
05-01-2017, 04:30 AM
One thing I will say...more about Amazon than Bosch, they've absolutely floored me with how good this show is...quite probably my favorite "crime" show ever.

I really wish that Amazon would do the same with the Lucas Davenport/Prey series.

What I'd like is to have Jesse Stone called back to work some unresolved case with Bosch:)

Drang
05-01-2017, 03:28 PM
What I'd like is to have Jesse Stone called back to work some unresolved case with Bosch:)

He's too busy running NYPD (and dominating TV in Schloss Drang.)

Chuteur
05-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Series 4 has already been signed for by @mazon.

Some interesting interviews with Connelly and Welliver knocking around on 'the tube'. Welliver carries the part to a 'T' which is a testament to Connelly holding out for the right man to play the part and not just jumping at the money for film/TV rights.

RoyGBiv
05-01-2017, 07:25 PM
After that finale I'm stuck in the show hole for how long?

Damn.

HCM
05-15-2017, 10:38 PM
So I saw this in an RCS related discussion on Book of Faces - dude claims he was the armorer for Bosch seasons 1, 2, and half of 3. Holster and mag pouch are supposedly from Gun Fighters inc.

" On a separate note, I spent a season trying to get Titus to carry at 3 and 9, rounds forward. Due to incorrect previous training, he had a difficult time adjusting. So, rounds pointing rear it was. He also insisted on carrying the pistol at 4:00. Again, his preference. But I tried. An armorer can only do so much."

Trukinjp13
05-16-2017, 08:54 AM
Okay, his carry setup is fine with me. If that is what he is comfortable with then that is cool in my book. He will look more natural that way then.

This show is badass. Easily one of my favorites. Do not read the books and probably will not. Sometimes I hate to mix the two because when it goes to screen sometimes they have to change the format or stories. Game of Thrones/Harry Potter are prime examples. You also can not cram all the detail into 10 episode seasons. Bosch is a bad motha. But he comes off as a legit dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andre3k
05-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Just finished season 3 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Besides The Wire this is the only cop show I can bear to watch. I try not to nitpick or overthink a tv show if the crew and cast makes a half ass attempt to get it right.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

StraitR
05-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Started watching Season 1 a couple weeks back when I was sick in bed. Great show. Finished Season 3 last weekend, now looking forward to Season 4.

Any word on expected release date?

Sero Sed Serio
05-16-2017, 03:49 PM

Rules of Prey would be an excellent movie (and hopefully done better than the average at best Mark Harmon movie and the absolutely horrible Mind Prey adaptation)