PDA

View Full Version : RAT blade question

Mirnyx
04-17-2017, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know if the Warriors Way RAT blade is USA made? I didn't find anything on their website and I didn't see any production pics on their Facebook page.

secondstoryguy
04-17-2017, 06:26 PM
AFAIK they are made by Harley Elmore who runs Warriors Way.

voodoo_man
04-17-2017, 06:37 PM
They are made in TX as far as I know.

Mirnyx
04-17-2017, 07:47 PM
I thought Texas as well but recently had some knowledge dropped that made me ask the question. Most obvious is the use of AUS8 steel which appears non-existant in the USA except as imported blades.

Sigfan26
04-17-2017, 07:59 PM
I thought Texas as well but recently had some knowledge dropped that made me ask the question. Most obvious is the use of AUS8 steel which appears non-existant in the USA except as imported blades.

Never thought about that... It does seem strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orionz06
04-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Email them.

Mirnyx
04-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Email them.

I did a few weeks back, never heard from them.

Larry Sellers
04-18-2017, 08:32 AM
curious as to this as well...

LJP
04-19-2017, 11:41 AM
Mine should arrive this week or next. I'll post here if I'm able to determine one way or another after seeing it with packaging and shipping info.

Mirnyx
04-20-2017, 09:51 AM
I received a pic of a warranty replacement RAT blade from a SF end user. The packaging has a small gold "MADE IN TAIWAN" sticker on it.

Sigfan26
04-20-2017, 10:45 AM
I received a pic of a warranty replacement RAT blade from a SF end user. The packaging has a small gold "MADE IN TAIWAN" sticker on it.

That is disappointing.

voodoo_man
04-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Got the photo?

And are you sure the packaging itself wasn't "made in taiwan" ?

orionz06
04-20-2017, 11:02 AM
ETA: I was also under the impression that they were made in Texas by Elmore himself, but that was an assumption and not based upon anything concrete said on the website.

Likewise but much of their stuff seems rather consistent for handmade.

If they are made in Taiwan then props to them, the margins gotta be insane.

Mirnyx
04-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Got the photo?

And are you sure the packaging itself wasn't "made in taiwan" ?

Traveling today; I'll get the photo up ASAP.

Any thing is possible with regards to packaging however all signs point to this being an imported blade.

Doc_Glock
04-20-2017, 11:59 AM
I emailed them a couple of times last year (or the year before -- time flies...) and never got a response.

ETA: I was also under the impression that they were made in Texas by Elmore himself, but that was an assumption and not based upon anything concrete said on the website.

$500 blade and they can't answer emails? Pass.

chl442
04-21-2017, 05:35 PM
Traveling today; I'll get the photo up ASAP.

Any thing is possible with regards to packaging however all signs point to this being an imported blade.
Mirnyx,
If your making the suggestion that the RAT blade is in fact not made in Texas but an imported item ,
provide the proof. I have no dog in this fight but have been Seriously considering purchasing a RAT blade.

Trajan
05-02-2017, 04:10 PM
That is disappointing.

Not defending overpriced timmy blades made of steel that belongs in the $50 dollar bracket, but the Taiwan knife factories have come a long way. Look at Spyderco. Some argue they produce nicer blades than the American factory.

Sigfan26
05-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Not defending overpriced timmy blades made of steel that belongs in the $50 dollar bracket, but the Taiwan knife factories have come a long way. Look at Spyderco. Some argue they produce nicer blades than the American factory.

I agree on Spyderco (I am carrying a K2 right now). Point was, if it is made in Taiwan from AUS8, it should not be $500. If they are made by a small shop in the US, maybe

orionz06
05-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Still no response?

UNK
05-02-2017, 07:53 PM

How do you know it is AUS8 ?

Mirnyx
05-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Travels have kept me busy. Here's the pic I was sent.

Regardless of the pic, show me another AUS8 blade made in the USA.

Sigfan26
05-02-2017, 09:01 PM

Pic isn't loading.

Mirnyx
05-02-2017, 09:05 PM
Point was, if it is made in Taiwan from AUS8, it should not be $500. If they are made by a small shop in the US, maybe

That's certainly a good point. If it's made in Taiwan, should it be named after an elite fallen warrior from the USA? What would he think about associating his name with a blade made in Taiwan?

Sigfan26
05-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Has anyone looked under the scales to see if it is engraved there?

El Cid
05-02-2017, 09:44 PM
That's certainly a good point. If it's made in Taiwan, should it be named after an elite fallen warrior from the USA? What would he think about associating his name with a blade made in Taiwan?

As I recall Kyle Defoor was involved in the project and was friends with the fallen SEAL for whom it's named. Defoor and presumably "Rat" were trained in Sayoc blade techniques.

ETA: http://kyledefoor.tumblr.com/post/42101070562/rat-i-wanted-to-let-you-know-that-we-now-all

43Under
05-02-2017, 09:47 PM
I just got mine yesterday. It was packaged differently and had no such sticker on it.

Mirnyx
05-02-2017, 10:13 PM
As I recall Kyle Defoor was involved in the project and was friends with the fallen SEAL for whom it's named. Defoor and presumably "Rat" were trained in Sayoc blade techniques.

ETA: http://kyledefoor.tumblr.com/post/42101070562/rat-i-wanted-to-let-you-know-that-we-now-all

I'm familiar with all of that. Still doesn't explain the steel.

Trajan
05-03-2017, 06:07 AM
I agree on Spyderco (I am carrying a K2 right now). Point was, if it is made in Taiwan from AUS8, it should not be $500. If they are made by a small shop in the US, maybe

At the end of the day, everyone who bought one thought it was worth the $350-$500 because of tier 1, questionable martial arts, and/or Kyle Defoor.

I remember when I first heard about them it was some big secret blade that you had to get the info from someone in the know. Then the website went up and didn't even list the steel. If people bought it at $500, then I guess it is worth $500. Free market and all that. People spend way more money on things then they are worth for all kinda of things. Exclusivity and all that.

El Cid
05-03-2017, 08:14 AM
I'm familiar with all of that. Still doesn't explain the steel.

I wasn't addressing the steel. I was addressing your comment about how an elite American warrior would feel having his name associated with the knife. I don't think it's our place to question given the information I posted a link to.

voodoo_man
05-03-2017, 08:23 AM

Almost looks to me like the packaging is bulk ordered and each one of those white envelopes has a sticker on it.

orionz06
05-03-2017, 08:34 AM
The cheapest packaging I've found has all been US manufactured. More so, one doesn't buy packaging if it has Made in Taiwan stickers on it.

Mirnyx
05-03-2017, 09:33 AM
I wasn't addressing the steel. I was addressing your comment about how an elite American warrior would feel having his name associated with the knife. I don't think it's our place to question given the information I posted a link to.

I replied on my phone and lost most of my post last night. Let's try this again.

I'm familiar with all of that. Fully understand they were friends, teammates, trained in sayoc, etc. Once something is shared in the public domain it becomes open to debate, question or comment. I personally don't think it's out of line to raise the question given the face of this blade is such an advocate for Made in USA gear and there are significant questions about the country of origin based on blade material, thread sizes, images or lack thereof. I can tell you this has all been questioned within the Teams.

El Cid
05-03-2017, 09:38 AM
I replied on my phone and lost most of my post last night. Let's try this again.

I'm familiar with all of that. Fully understand they were friends, teammates, trained in sayoc, etc. Once something is shared in the public domain it becomes open to debate, question or comment. I personally don't think it's out of line to raise the question given the face of this blade is such an advocate for Made in USA gear and there are significant questions about the country of origin based on blade material, thread sizes, images or lack thereof. I can tell you this has all been questioned within the Teams.

Fair enough.

Mirnyx
05-03-2017, 09:47 AM
FWIW, I received the following email/screenshot from an anonymous RAT customer:

First thing that comes to mind after reading that was they charge $500 for a made in Taiwan AUS8 production blade, what does the USA made version cost?!?!

Trajan
05-03-2017, 11:39 AM
First thing that comes to mind after reading that was they charge $500 for a made in Taiwan AUS8 production blade, what does the USA made version cost?!?!

Everyone that bought it either knew they were getting AUS8, or didn't know what steel type was in it and bought it anyway.

Should the knife be $500? No, it should be like $100 max. But people bought it anyway and were happy with it (at least until they found out this).

Somewhat related, but for defensive blades, edge retension really doesn't matter. Toughness does. IF you're paying over $200 it is nice to have a quality steel, but AUS 8 will be fine for stabbing a dude. You don't need crazy edge retention because for a defensive blade, it shouldn't be used unless you're being assaulted.

That being said, even if it was made of CPM 3v (probably the best steel for a defensive blade), it would be over priced. There really are no true "custom" blades unless you give the manufacturer the specs. They still use a machine to make blanks, and the gridning, polishing, and sharpeneing are done by hand, even on production folders.

sierra 223
05-03-2017, 06:00 PM
I have always loved the design of this knife for its intended purpose. But I always thought it was way over priced. We all spend our hard earned money the way we see fit, but I am with Trajan, that is a $100.00 dollar knife. I actually like AUS8 a lot but that is too much in my opinon for a good but very average steel that probably was made in Tiawan.

Cecil Burch
05-03-2017, 07:13 PM
I am not the best interwebz guy so I may have missed it, but can anyone see on their website where there is any mention of two separate lines of blades? All I can find on their website is the page about the RAT itself and it's price of $500. I don't see where there is an option to buy a blade made in Taiwan. I am assuming that a production blade made in Asia of cheaper steel will cost much less than the $500 price, but I am apparently missing that part.

secondstoryguy
05-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Mine came with no such sticker. I think I paid $350 on special for the sets I have. Considering that I received 2 bladeriggs sheaths and a nice training blade I wouldn't not feel completely ripped off even if I found out that it was made in Taiwan.

Maybe he just switched it up. Was he knife purchased via warriors way or 3rd party?

orionz06
05-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Has anyone actually seen a Made in the USA claim made or is there just an assumption based on price?

voodoo_man
05-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Has anyone actually seen a Made in the USA claim made or is there just an assumption based on price?

p/BODZwDRDvy-

Mirnyx
05-03-2017, 09:01 PM

I've been told there were claims of Made in USA early on. I may have access to an early version from a certain command to compare with the more recent offerings.

Trajan
05-03-2017, 09:04 PM
I am not the best interwebz guy so I may have missed it, but can anyone see on their website where there is any mention of two separate lines of blades? All I can find on their website is the page about the RAT itself and it's price of $500. I don't see where there is an option to buy a blade made in Taiwan. I am assuming that a production blade made in Asia of cheaper steel will cost much less than the $500 price, but I am apparently missing that part. The $500 one is the one made in Taiwan

Voodoo: That appears to be a tomahawk and not a rat.

orionz06
05-03-2017, 09:04 PM
I know many of the early ones were handmade but also looked handmade.

blackhatter
05-03-2017, 10:58 PM
I am not the best interwebz guy so I may have missed it, but can anyone see on their website where there is any mention of two separate lines of blades? All I can find on their website is the page about the RAT itself and it's price of $500. I don't see where there is an option to buy a blade made in Taiwan. I am assuming that a production blade made in Asia of cheaper steel will cost much less than the $500 price, but I am apparently missing that part.

The option to purchase a Taiwan knife is on the same page where they have video clips of the Sayoc system being pressure tested against resisting opponents wearing FIST helmets.

That's also where you'll find the complete bios of the Sayoc Tactical Group cadre.

Trajan
05-03-2017, 11:21 PM
I know many of the early ones were handmade but also looked handmade.

Rough prototypes? Was it made out of 420J?

orionz06
05-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Rough prototypes? Was it made out of 420J?

Nah, just in how they looked and the lines on several. It is certainly an assumption on my part but seeing 4-5 at once with inconsistencies that are common in the best handmade knives.

Trajan
05-03-2017, 11:27 PM
Nah, just in how they looked and the lines on several. It is certainly an assumption on my part but seeing 4-5 at once with inconsistencies that are common in the best handmade knives.

154 Reynolds.

What inconsistencies? Production blades are still ground, polished, and sharpened by hand.

DamonL
05-04-2017, 01:06 AM
blackhatter

Are the Taiwan Version less expensive? And what Tom said, Is there a link.

Thanks.

Mirnyx
05-04-2017, 09:14 AM

The $500 version lists AUS8 steel, that's the Taiwan version. I'd like to see a link for the USA version.

rjohnson4405
05-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Pretty sure blackhatter is being sarcastic. Tom_Jones DamonL Mirnyx

DamonL
05-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Now that I did a google search for the info, I get it now.

voodoo_man
05-04-2017, 04:11 PM
Pretty sure blackhatter is being sarcastic. Tom_Jones DamonL Mirnyx

Only one reason to rehash an old and settled thread....

blackhatter
05-04-2017, 06:24 PM
blackhatter

Thanks.

Sorry, guys. It was being facetious. There's no link to the cheaper Taiwan version, just like there's no videos of the Sayoc system being pressure tested (because it not pressure tested.) (and the $500 version is the cheap Taiwan version).

I'm pretty sure Cecil understood.

since Defoor has done more for the Rat blades than anyone else, and he's big on buying American made products, I wonder if he knows.

Larry Sellers
05-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Sorry, guys. It was being facetious. There's no link to the cheaper Taiwan version, just like there's no videos of the Sayoc system being pressure tested (because it not pressure tested.) (and the $500 version is the cheap Taiwan version).

since Defoor has done more for the Rat blades than anyone else, and he's big on buying American made products, I wonder if he knows.

That was my thought as well. Just attended his 2 day course a few weeks ago and he is a BIG proponent of buying american made.

rjohnson4405
05-05-2017, 06:55 AM

I've not trained with Sayoc and I'm not for/against them. But I was of the impression Sayoc was training active duty guys like Defoor who would definitely be "pressure testing" what they learned. Maybe I misunderstood.

orionz06
05-05-2017, 07:39 AM
I've not trained with Sayoc and I'm not for/against them. But I was of the impression Sayoc was training active duty guys like Defoor who would definitely be "pressure testing" what they learned. Maybe I misunderstood.

There's a lot of contention there, to say the least.

voodoo_man
05-05-2017, 07:41 AM
There's a lot of contention there, to say the least.

No, there is not.

The same troll's pop on here from time to time to spew the same troll shit and all of a sudden people think there is some sort of made up "contention."

There is not. It is sad that one troll who should have been banned with his first post is allowed to continue to spew his total bs.

orionz06
05-05-2017, 07:43 AM
No, there is not.

The same troll's pop on here from time to time to spew the same troll shit and all of a sudden people think there is some sort of made up "contention."

There is not. It is sad that one troll who should have been banned with his first post is allowed to continue to spew his total bs.

That's operating on the assumption that anyone with a differing opinion is a troll though. Some of this predates your membership here and some is a little carryover from other places.

voodoo_man
05-05-2017, 07:50 AM
That's operating on the assumption that anyone with a differing opinion is a troll though. Some of this predates your membership here and some is a little carryover from other places.

I was speaking about this particular thread with this particular thread and blackhatter who is a 100% troll who should have been banned with his first post.

As for whatever possible issue there is with Sayoc/STG, there are indisputable facts which people just gloss over for some reason. Which is fine, haters gana hate I suppose.

You of all people should not be giving support to that end anyway as they hooked up within a week with a certain item before I was even on this board...

But please, if there is any issue, someone find that thread and necro it, we can go over whatever perceived issues or whatnot anyone has. I gather than there will be a lot of chest thumping, a few trolls coming out of the woodwork to bring up this same pointless nonsense and the result will be no one showing up to a class (as last time).

orionz06
05-05-2017, 08:00 AM
I was speaking about this particular thread with this particular thread and blackhatter who is a 100% troll who should have been banned with his first post..

He has two posts in this thread....
The option to purchase a Taiwan knife is on the same page where they have video clips of the Sayoc system being pressure tested against resisting opponents wearing FIST helmets.

That's also where you'll find the complete bios of the Sayoc Tactical Group cadre.

None of them are incorrect, save for the Defoor comments as we do know handmade, USA Rats exist. Question becomes is are the $500 blade packages US made and that answer is no. Even that's not an issue... I have two Chinese knifes on my now. They're great for my needs and their US equivalent prices would be cost prohibitive.

As for whatever possible issue there is with Sayoc/STG, there are indisputable facts which people just gloss over for some reason. Which is fine, haters gana hate I suppose.

You of all people should not be giving support to that end anyway as they hooked up within a week with a certain item before I was even on this board...

Not sure what you're referring to here.

But please, if there is any issue, someone find that thread and necro it, we can go over whatever perceived issues or whatnot anyone has. I gather than there will be a lot of chest thumping, a few trolls coming out of the woodwork to bring up this same pointless nonsense and the result will be no one showing up to a class (as last time).
Also correct, only one person I believe showed up to the free classes Tom offered. Granted there was travel involved so it's not entirely on the posters here for not flying across country on a few weeks notice.

voodoo_man
05-05-2017, 08:05 AM
He has two posts in this thread....

Both complete troll bait nonsense.

None of them are incorrect, save for the Defoor comments as we do know handmade, USA Rats exist. Question becomes is are the $500 blade packages US made and that answer is no. Even that's not an issue... I have two Chinese knifes on my now. They're great for my needs and their US equivalent prices would be cost prohibitive.

That which can be asserted without evidence can be disregarded just the same.

He has not proven anything other than the fact he's a troll who is here for one specific purpose and that is to bring up Sayoc/STG and try to piss on that organization. That is his only goal here.

Not sure what you're referring to here.

Did you get a certain blade after not being able to get it a few years ago?

Also correct, only one person I believe showed up to the free classes Tom offered. Granted there was travel involved so it's not entirely on the posters here for not flying across country on a few weeks notice.

The fact a free class was even offered should have completely crushed any questions.

Mirnyx
05-05-2017, 11:40 AM

That was my thought as well. Just attended his 2 day course a few weeks ago and he is a BIG proponent of buying american made.

People in the knife world connected the dots along time ago with the RAT blade. It has been brought up to him so he is aware. Given his well known position of buying american, it seems odd.

Bottom line is someone made the decision to create this blade and named it after a man to honor him. Somewhere along the line a decision was made to outsource production to another country. Forget the grade of steel, price or perceived value. Why didn't someone step up and say we named this blade after a fallen brother out of respect, it needs to be made here? That tells you everything you need to know.

Regardless of where you stand on Sayoc, this is a shining example that shows brotherhood is worth less than the almighty dollar.

Cheap Shot
05-05-2017, 11:50 AM
People in the knife world connected the dots along time ago with the RAT blade. It has been brought up to him so he is aware. Given his well known position of buying american, it seems odd.

Bottom line is someone made the decision to create this blade and named it after a man to honor him. Somewhere along the line a decision was made to outsource production to another country. Forget the grade of steel, price or perceived value. Why didn't someone step up and say we named this blade after a fallen brother out of respect, it needs to be made here? That tells you everything you need to know.

Regardless of where you stand on Sayoc, this is a shining example that shows brotherhood is worth less than the almighty dollar.

Non sequitur

El Cid
05-05-2017, 05:44 PM

Based on what Defoor himself told me and a couple others it has been in use by his teammates. That was in 2012. I know what it's like to be lied to and he wasn't lying. I also have a contact still in that unit who confirmed it through other conversations.

As to the question of where the knives are made I have no intel to provide. I purchased mine when it was on significant sale a few years ago. I would be disappointed if it was made overseas but that's water under the bridge now for me.

secondstoryguy
05-05-2017, 06:17 PM
My 2014 (?) vintage RAT blade appears to be handground as there are slight variations in the grind(I've made knives using the stock removal method and it looks made by hand). My newer RAT blade(no overseas markings) looks a lot more semetrical and possibly is machine made...or whoever was making them got a lot better at grinding. Either way I think a set with a live blade, nice training blade, and two Bladerigs sheaths for around $400 isn't ridiculous.

43Under
05-05-2017, 07:59 PM
I don't ever recall Defoor saying he'd only buy or peddle American stuff. I seem to recall him saying on Facebook that he was going to make a significant effort to use and promote USA-made stuff as much as possible. But I don't recall it being an absolute.

I just got my Rat. It occurred to me that I don't care where it was made. Just like I don't care if one of my Glocks says "Made in Austria" while another says "Made in the USA". I care that it does what I ask of it, and I expect and hope that it will.

As for the price, it is a bit pricey. With the Defoor discount it's $400. Another knife I had considered was the Sentinel Gear Mk 3, once promoted by the manufacturer here on Pistol Forum. That knife is $225, has an inferior (IMO) chisel grind, comes with what appears to be an inferior sheath, and does not come with a matched trainer.

To me, those differences are worth the cost difference. Beyond that, the market determines what is and what is not "too expensive". If the Rat is made OCONUS, well, I was never led to believe that it was made in the USA anyway. IF I had been, then maybe I'd be a little pissed. But I wasn't, so it really doesn't matter.

BillSWPA
05-05-2017, 10:41 PM
I would very much like to see more stuff made in the US. However, before criticizing someone for having something made elsewhere, perhaps one should try having a similar product made in the US, and see how easy/hard it is, as well as what it costs.

Cecil Burch
05-06-2017, 12:23 PM
I would very much like to see more stuff made in the US. However, before criticizing someone for having something made elsewhere, perhaps one should try having a similar product made in the US, and see how easy/hard it is, as well as what it costs.

Actually, I have been involved in that as well as involved in having something made overseas.

I have bought knives handmade in the US at the $500 mark. I have no issue with that at all. I also know what the costs are of doing something production overseas and it is nowhere near that. I can safely say that the profit margin on a Taiwan made RAT is probably around 400%. Being a dedicated capitalist, I have no issue with that at all. The market should always decide what is a fair price.

What I object to is the obsfucation of the simple question of where the knife is made. Even on this thread, apologists were trying to get as much attention away from the question as possible ("the packaging was made in Taiwan"? Seriously? What other item has package material marked that way? Absolutely nothing. Talk about straw grasping). Even emails that say they have two lines, but there is no mention of that on their website of or FB page? That is deliberate. I felt before the price for the blade was a tad high. Now, I know it is.

Mirnyx
05-06-2017, 12:47 PM
I don't ever recall Defoor saying he'd only buy or peddle American stuff. I seem to recall him saying on Facebook that he was going to make a significant effort to use and promote USA-made stuff as much as possible. But I don't recall it being an absolute.

You're correct, not an absolute. The words below are pulled directly from his site when he kicked off the Made in USA series.

"With the revamping of my company I’ve decided that we will support American manufacturing. It’s unrealistic to think I can have every piece of kit I need Made in the USA (a stopwatch for example), but whenever possible and feasible this will be our way moving forward."

I think most will agree, it's possible and feasible to support American manufacturing when it comes to blades. He supports or promotes a lot of gear that falls under "buy once, cry once" so the added cost of an American made blade should be a non-issue.

blues
05-06-2017, 01:21 PM
As a super mod on perhaps the world's largest knife forum for the past 18 years or so, this is an issue that comes up often and imho shouldn't need to.

All makers, whether custom or production just need to be honest with their customers and potential customers.

It is not complicated to tell the truth about the source of the materials nor the country where the knife is built or assembled. Any attempt to circumvent providing these details, such as whether a knife is hand made, mid-tech, or straight off a conveyor belt...or what the steel is... is tantamount to lying and deceiving the customer.

We have had folks over the years present production knives as custom, overseas built knives as domestic, and everything else under the sun. If I have sufficient evidence of the malfeasance, they are outed and banned from the site.

I, personally, will not patronize those who lie and deceive. If I own one of their knives when I find out, it is quickly removed by selling, given away or discarded. Life's too short to support cheaters.

I hope the folks in this thread with skin in the game get the answers they seek.

BillSWPA
05-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Actually, I have been involved in that as well as involved in having something made overseas.

I have bought knives handmade in the US at the $500 mark. I have no issue with that at all. I also know what the costs are of doing something production overseas and it is nowhere near that. I can safely say that the profit margin on a Taiwan made RAT is probably around 400%. Being a dedicated capitalist, I have no issue with that at all. The market should always decide what is a fair price.

What I object to is the obsfucation of the simple question of where the knife is made. Even on this thread, apologists were trying to get as much attention away from the question as possible ("the packaging was made in Taiwan"? Seriously? What other item has package material marked that way? Absolutely nothing. Talk about straw grasping). Even emails that say they have two lines, but there is no mention of that on their website of or FB page? That is deliberate. I felt before the price for the blade was a tad high. Now, I know it is.

I completely agree that the issue of honesty about where something is made is a completely separate issue from where it is made. Openness with this issue avoids a lot of problems.

1slow
05-06-2017, 05:46 PM
As a super mod on perhaps the world's largest knife forum for the past 18 years or so, this is an issue that comes up often and imho shouldn't need to.

All makers, whether custom or production just need to be honest with their customers and potential customers.

It is not complicated to tell the truth about the source of the materials nor the country where the knife is built or assembled. Any attempt to circumvent providing these details, such as whether a knife is hand made, mid-tech, or straight off a conveyor belt...or what the steel is... is tantamount to lying and deceiving the customer.

We have had folks over the years present production knives as custom, overseas built knives as domestic, and everything else under the sun. If I have sufficient evidence of the malfeasance, they are outed and banned from the site.

I, personally, will not patronize those who lie and deceive. If I own one of their knives when I find out, it is quickly removed by selling, given away or discarded. Life's too short to support cheaters.

I hope the folks in this thread with skin in the game get the answers they seek.

Agreed, as long as they tell me the truth I can decide whether I want it. Any deception sours the deal and the sellers reputation.

SamAdams
05-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Might check out a Spyderco Street Bowie designed by Fred Perrin. VG-10. Made in Japan. The sheath is 'meh' IMO, but at a street price for under $100 a guy can go with custom kydex -

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB04BB/Spyderco-Street-Bowie-Black/129

Craw
05-08-2017, 05:27 PM
I think it's fair to assume that Kyle Defoor is using the american-made RAT blade. He's friends with the guy that makes them, so you'd have to imagine that he is not getting a run of the mill blade.

This discussion has been very helpful though. Since the price is equal, I've definitely swung towards the Dynamis blade over this.

JohnO
05-26-2017, 10:51 PM
FYI

Headhunter Blades will be running a $150 off sale on the Rat and other blades on 5/28 & 5/29. The website is announcing a Memorial Day sale but does not detail the discount yet. However Headhunter Blades announced the details on their FaceBook page.