PDA

View Full Version : Secruity camera question

Hambo
04-17-2017, 07:01 AM
I'd like to mount a camera so I can see the blind spots in my carport before exiting the house. I can run electricity to power the camera (although I'd prefer battery/solar), but prefer wireless to the screen.

Recommendations and advice appreciated.

martin_j001
04-17-2017, 07:23 AM
I have several Nest cameras currently, and have been happy with them.

Gray222
04-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Nest is good if you don't mind the initial premium and then the monthly costs associated with it.

Also the fact you don't technically own the physical data is not something I personally like.

I ended up with a Samsung 4 camera 1080p system.

Physical setup isn't difficult, just standard run wires and plugs. The system I got was good and responsive. The app/online viewing ability is good once you figure out how to make it work. It's a big of a PITA.

I did a bunch of research and if you are only looking for one camera and only want that one camera to store footage for a week or two then you need to have a physical DVR to save yourself the cost monthly.

I would suggest making a list of requirements and then finding the most expensive, non commercial, system you can get (usually Samsung). Specifically because pull have it for years and this is a very important insurance policy.

peterb
04-17-2017, 09:42 AM
http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wireless-outdoor-home-security-camera/

Just found this. I have no experience with it, but I'm tempted to try one.

rob_s
04-17-2017, 10:14 AM
http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wireless-outdoor-home-security-camera/

Just found this. I have no experience with it, but I'm tempted to try one.

I'm a pretty big fanboy of The Wirecutter, and have been considering the Arlo myself based on that article.

I *can* run wiring but that doesn't mean that I want to...

ETA:
Option (b) is to pay someone to come do it all. I like the idea of cloud storage for a lot of reasons but I still think I'd prefer the DVR at home that I can access remotely.

rayrevolver
04-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Arlo Pro looks nice. I need to figure something out, whether an integrated security system with a camera, or just a camera system like Arlo.

I suppose if the motion system can activate the alarm on the base unit, and you can use the app to shout through the camera...

Gonna spend some time on Wirecutter! Thanks the link.

rob_s
04-17-2017, 02:24 PM
It looks like my home alarm system has a camera option. That might actually be my least-painful option in terms of setup. Although it will probably then be my most painful option in terms of cost...

https://www.frontpointsecurity.com/equipment-overview/cameras-and-home-automation/outdoor-wireless-camera

Hambo
04-17-2017, 03:06 PM
Wow, Tom, that's pretty cool. I'll PM you about it.

rob_s
04-17-2017, 04:23 PM
Relevant to this discussion

$70 off the Logitech Circle Wireless 1080p Video Battery Powered Security Camera with Person Detection, Motion Zones and Custom Alerts
From $199 normal price to $129 sale price

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Battery-Security-Detection/dp/B01645FHFC?tag=wcedeals-20&utm_source=Deals+We+Love&utm_campaign=da1e71f85f-DEALS_2017_04_17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_97ed68eaf3-da1e71f85f-87272305

peterb
04-30-2017, 05:43 AM
Just got an Arlo Pro and set it up yesterday. Setup was easy except figuring out how to give more than one person access. It turns out that one person has to set up the account and then invite others. Haven't played with the settiings much, but the default is that when it detectects motion, it sends a text, records a video, and stores it to your account. A week of online storage is free.

One downside is that the physical mount has no locking features. You have to remove the camera to recharge it, so I can understand making it easy, but that means it 's easy for anyone. The supplied mount is a magnetic ball-and-socket that requires just a tug to remove the camera. The optional mount uses a threaded socket in the camera, but there's nothing to prevent anyone from unscrewing it. Mounting it out of easy reach means that you're going to need a ladder or hang out a window when it's time to recharge the battery.

My initial impression is that it works as advertised, but there is a significant tradeoff for being completely wireless.

Shellback
04-30-2017, 07:56 AM
FYI - Costco carries several different Arlo systems.

RoyGBiv
04-30-2017, 05:03 PM
I was strolling through Costco after reading this thread today and lo-and-behold (how old man is that expression?) I see the Arlo 2-camera kit on sale for $180 plus tax. Took me 30 minutes to configure and install both cameras... Half that time was spent figuring where to mount them and getting out the ladder.

The magnetic half sphere mounts are genius. Very easy to adjust POA.

So... FYI... Costco on sale ...
https://www.costco.com/Arlo-Smart-Home-HD-Wireless-IP-Security-Camera-2-Pack.product.100293681.html

n00b tips:
1. Instructions say to press and hold the sync button for 1-2 seconds then release to enter sync mode....
Reality: Press and release the sync button (no hold), wait a few seconds for the light to start flashing, then put the camera into sync mode.
2. The battery door is tight. And it's not obvious what to do when you've got it open 1/4" and it's not budging.
Answer: Using your thumb under the little lip created when the door slid back that little bit, LIFT the door and swing it away from the camera. The door does not slide all the way off... Slide it open until it stops, then the lid pivots up. Don't try to keep sliding it.

schüler
04-30-2017, 06:18 PM
...One downside is that the physical mount has no locking features...

You might look into vandal resistant enclosures for the camera. Check eBay for used/affordable stuff and if you're in a large metro area check Craigslist. Security techs often end up with old stuff and sell them there. If you're mech inclined and sneaky you can come up with your own solution.

If a camera has auto focus see if you can set separate focal points for daytime (color) and night (IR/black and white) or see if there's an option to re-auto focus when it switches to IR mode. IR focal plane is not the same as color. That is why cheaper cameras look out of focus or fuzzy when they switch to night/IR mode.

I have experience in commercial access control and video. Unfortunately no consumer gear experience. My home stuff is hodgepodge commercial stuff.

Gater
09-24-2017, 05:39 PM
I've been looking for a simple, cheap, non-Cloud based storage, and battery powered camera system for a spot I don't want to run power to...anyone had a look at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Reolink-Argus-Wire-Free-Battery-Powered-Wireless/dp/B072BLVWPX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506292439&sr=8-2&keywords=argus+camera

?

rob_s
11-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Bumping this back up as I never pulled the trigger...

I'm leaning heavily towards the 2-Camera Arlo Pro setup for ~$400. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LR8PG6Q/ref=twister_B01MAVODTE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)

However, recent developments by Ring have me considering their Floodlight Cam for $250 (https://ring.com/floodlightcam) along with their Spotlight Cam Solar cell for $220 (https://ring.com/spotlight-cam-solar).

it seems that Arlo is "free" after purchase, but that Ring may require some amount of monthly/annual fee to be functional?

One big consideration for me right now is not having to run any additional wiring, as is a desire to be able to set motion zones in the software so that it only records when it senses motion in certain areas (i.e. to eliminate areas where vegetation movement may trip the camera constantly).

Gray222
11-07-2017, 02:20 PM
So...

Buddy got me on wyzecam - ordered two and I was pretty surprised by the quality. The motion detection was instant for notifications on my phone.

rob_s
01-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Bumping this back up as I never pulled the trigger...

I'm leaning heavily towards the 2-Camera Arlo Pro setup for ~$400. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LR8PG6Q/ref=twister_B01MAVODTE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)

However, recent developments by Ring have me considering their Floodlight Cam for $250 (https://ring.com/floodlightcam) along with their Spotlight Cam Solar cell for $220 (https://ring.com/spotlight-cam-solar).

it seems that Arlo is "free" after purchase, but that Ring may require some amount of monthly/annual fee to be functional?

One big consideration for me right now is not having to run any additional wiring, as is a desire to be able to set motion zones in the software so that it only records when it senses motion in certain areas (i.e. to eliminate areas where vegetation movement may trip the camera constantly).

After some (non security) issues this weekend, I just ordered 3 ring cams. One solar for the gate, one battery for the guest house entry door, and one powered flood to replace a flood light at one corner of the house. Depending on how these work out I may add another 3 floors to the other three corners of the main house, and possibly a solar or battery to the door of the workshop.

The ability to set up activity zones and the two-way communication was of particular interest on the Ring. And the solar option for the gate which is a fair distance from the main house, and frankly the #1 spot I want monitored.

I'll update when they arrive.

overton
01-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Arlo has been awfully slow for me to start recording moving people. I only see the back of people passing through the camera area.

Clusterfrack
01-14-2018, 02:32 PM
Try enabling high quality video. That seems to increase the speed.

schüler
01-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Arlo has been awfully slow for me to start recording moving people. I only see the back of people passing through the camera area.I'm guessing you have already tweaked the motion sensitivity setting?

Most wired cameras record X number of seconds of video so when motion is detected it includes that pre-motion-detected footage as well.

The Arlo manual I reviewed does not reference this feature. The feature may be hardwired or possibly not used due to power saving concerns of a wireless device.

rayrevolver
01-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Time to nut up or shut up! Been waffling too long on these things. I need a security system and would like 1 or 2 cameras, specifically a doorbell camera.

While Ring is only $3 a month for the cloud, can anyone talk to what its like without a subscription? If I miss the alert, will I see on my phone who/what set it off an hour later?

Right now, I want to go with the Abode Starter Kit and add either the Ring Pro Doorbell Camera or a cheap Zmodo Greet. Simplisafe just released their new security system but it does not look as flexible as the Abode. I have a 1080P Dericam Wifi camera that I believe can be slaved to Abode.

...using a few Arlos is also an option. But man, all these things rely on wifi and that seems like the weak link.

Which leads me back to waffling and looking at wired systems for both security and cameras.

RevolverRob
01-16-2018, 12:01 PM
After Amazon ran a Prime Day deal on Arlo last year, I got 5 cameras for my parents house. Over the winter break, I set them up and began to experiment with them. Overall, I agree with two points, 1) The Wi-Fi is the weak link, but a Wi-Fi repeater is your friend. 2) The motion detection is a bit slow, turning them to high res AND placing them higher up (for a broader view) is ideal. If you want a sense of what image Arlos can capture, without having to drag everything out. Use a selfie stick (yes I just said that). And the camera on your phone. Arlo has effectively that field of view (~150 degrees).

After some experimentation with placement and settings, we finally got them all setup the way we like. Most of them are high enough up to require a ladder to replace the batteries, but this gives a solid view of everything and plenty of motion activation. The main one we wanted was right on the front porch facing the sidewalk, where delivery men/most people walk up to the house. It's in your face but high enough to be out of eye height, given the shape and height of the porch. With tuning I have it activating at the front of the walk and you'd have to be covering your face for a 40-50 foot span (from street to porch), to not get caught by the camera.

The other nice feature for Arlo is the app-based live viewing system. My parents quickly got in the habit of checking the previous night's recordings with morning coffee from their phones/tablets. The only thing I don't like is the inability of Arlo to have stacked rules for recording. For instance I can tell it, "If motion is detected on Camera A. Record on camera B." But I can't tell it to do that and also "record on Camera A". Which is a weak link in the system.

In all, I like the Arlos,

rob_s
01-21-2018, 07:55 AM
I got my Ring cameras this past week. I started out just by getting one of the spotlight cams up and running, and put it out back by the cat's dish. I'm pretty sold. I went ahead and signed up for the $100/year plan, and I'm hoping to get my gate and guest house cams installed in location today. I'm going to have an electrician install the floodlight cam just because we're already having someone come out anyway.

You can talk both ways, turn the thing on at any time, etc. It's pretty neat and the cloud storage allows you to access any event from anywhere at any time (provided you can get online).

One thing to note, there are different solar panels. I foolishly let Amazon tell me which one to get and got the one for the door bell (USB connection) not for the spotlight cam (different, waterproof, connection). I sent back the wrong one and ordered the right one at no added cost to me, but be aware of this if you're ordering.

Mirolynmonbro
02-20-2018, 09:33 AM
If you don't have the ring subscription you can't see any video from the notifications. They give you 30 days free, but after that you have to subscribe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

This was supposed to be a reply to Ray

rob_s
02-20-2018, 09:59 AM
Yep, I signed up for the subscription. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

My one complaint, and I'm sure there's some setting I haven't messed with yet, is that the videos are too short. The way it's set up now it starts recording at first motion and then stops after x-time. I want it to keep recording as long as there's motion.

RoyGBiv
02-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Yep, I signed up for the subscription. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

My one complaint, and I'm sure there's some setting I haven't messed with yet, is that the videos are too short. The way it's set up now it starts recording at first motion and then stops after x-time. I want it to keep recording as long as there's motion.

I believe all you get is 30 seconds... Then some refractory period (lol) and another 30 seconds.

Mirolynmonbro
02-20-2018, 10:49 AM
The Ring website says 20 seconds for battery operated and 60sec for wired. But mentions a new feature that will be launched soon that will allow you to control how long it records footage

RoyGBiv
02-20-2018, 12:51 PM
The Ring website says 20 seconds for battery operated and 60sec for wired. But mentions a new feature that will be launched soon that will allow you to control how long it records footage

Quick look at the last 4 activations on my Ring... last one was 21 seconds and the three before that were 29 seconds each..

Would be nice to have a setting that records up to 5 minutes (or more) for an ongoing conversation. When my drunk-ass neighbor came stumbling over to admonish me for putting his empty trash cans in the middle of his driveway (which I did not do, this time) on a Thursday night, after the trash was collected on Tuesday morning, the video only captured some stumbling but ended a few seconds after I opened the door and missed all the good stuff. #missedopportunity (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=missedopportunity)

rayrevolver
02-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Quick look at the last 4 activations on my Ring... last one was 21 seconds and the three before that were 29 seconds each..

Would be nice to have a setting that records up to 5 minutes (or more) for an ongoing conversation. When my drunk-ass neighbor came stumbling over to admonish me for putting his empty trash cans in the middle of his driveway (which I did not do, this time) on a Thursday night, after the trash was collected on Tuesday morning, the video only captured some stumbling but ended a few seconds after I opened the door and missed all the good stuff. #missedopportunity (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=missedopportunity)

Haha, oh man, sounds like a fun neighbor.

I hate playing early adopter/beta tester but I pre-ordered the Nest Hello. Its basically a copy of the Ring doorbell. Reviews on the Nest indoor/outdoor cameras are favorable so hopefully they don't screw the pooch on this thing.

The biggest draw was that Nest already works with my security system. Hopefully the integration with the Hello will be seamless and I can use 1 app for everything. I can set my Nest Thermostat using the security app. Of course Nests cheapest plan is $4.16/month so that is more than Ring, but they tout facial recognition... not sure what the hell I need that for.

It ships in March and I will post some reviews once I get it installed. If it sucks then I will get a Ring Pro. I installed a Ring outdoor light/camera for my FIL and he loves it. Damn chickens set it off though.

rob_s
02-21-2018, 01:46 PM

That makes sense.... kind of I suppose.

My nest is technically battery but I have the solar option so I'd sure like to have more control myself. I hate when tech thinks it's protecting me from myself and puts limits like that on the software side. if I want to change the batteries 2x/week that should be up to me.

RoyGBiv
02-21-2018, 02:29 PM

I should have mentioned that my Ring is wired.

rayrevolver
02-21-2018, 08:29 PM
Gah! Can't edit my post.

Nest without a subscription gives you 3 hours of recorded video. You dont get some other features, but thats not bad for a free package.

The cheapest $5 a month or yearly at $50 (4.16 a month) is 5 days worth of video plus all the other things like facial recognition.

I am sure I will get a free trial to get me hooked.

Recently folks at MDShooters have uploaded Ring and Nest videos from homes in Baltimore showing people getting mugged by gangs of guys right on the street. Its crazy. Be safe out there folks!

Mirolynmonbro
02-21-2018, 09:17 PM
I also have my ring pro set to mask out areas I don't want to detect motion. It doesn't work. It records everything even the Ups truck driving down the road

rob_s
04-11-2018, 05:22 AM
That makes sense.... kind of I suppose.

My nest is technically battery but I have the solar option so I'd sure like to have more control myself. I hate when tech thinks it's protecting me from myself and puts limits like that on the software side. if I want to change the batteries 2x/week that should be up to me.

So I realize that above I said "Nest" when I should have said "Ring", since I have the Ring cams.

Evidently the cutting out is a thing across most manufacturers when you go battery.
https://thewirecutter.com/blog/what-is-your-security-camera-missing/

It's pretty much too late for me as I'm not going to bag the Ring cams and switch to a different brand, but it you're expecting continuous recording or automatic, immediate, re-start if motion continues, you're not going to get that with Ring battery cameras right now.

I have one wired Ring cam, a floodlight cam, but I need to mess with it a bit more to see how the recording cycle works. My main complaint right now with that camera is that we have it horizontally mounted under the eave and the camera adjustment is pretty limited which basically limits me to a downward view.

rob_s
04-28-2018, 07:50 AM
Revisiting this again...

For those that may be thinking of purchasing the Ring Floodlight Cam (https://shop.ring.com/products/floodlight-cam)...

I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but in Florida it's common to have floodlights at each corner of a home, with the plate mounted horizontally to the underside of the eave. I see now that none of the pictures online show this mounting method for the floodlight cam, and since I already had two Spotlight Cams (https://shop.ring.com/collections/security-cams/products/spotlight-cam-battery?variant=56549554187) I didn't think it would be an issue. The Spotlight cam allows you to install the mounting arm either rightside up or upside down to allow you to mount it to either a horizontal or vertical surface. The Floodlight Cam doesn't have this option.

I discovered all of this only after paying an electrician to do the install and then trying to set the thing up. The view that I get from the cam is virtually useless to me because it points too far down and can't be tilted further up.

Just an FYI for anyone considering one of these.

schüler
04-28-2018, 08:33 AM
Cam/light base looks like it uses standard 1/2" threaded fittings (1/2-14) used in electrical and plumbing. There is likely a threaded+coupled solution out there. Easy route might take cannibalizing another white outdoor light fixture.

rob_s
04-28-2018, 12:24 PM
Cam/light base looks like it uses standard 1/2" threaded fittings (1/2-14) used in electrical and plumbing. There is likely a threaded+coupled solution out there. Easy route might take cannibalizing another white outdoor light fixture.

Possibly. Will require re-wiring, and general fiddle-fuck, at best.

Not something I was looking to engage in with this product, hence the electrician.

rob_s
07-15-2019, 03:22 AM
I'm considering a move away from Ring. My primary reason is that the spotlight cam (https://shop.ring.com/products/spotlight-cam-solar) that I have at my gate, attached to a solar panel, causes consistent problems. First, it was erroneously reporting that the battery door was open, when in fact it was not. This then means that it refuses to charge, record, or do anything else. Sent it back, got a replacement. The replacement has never actually charged from the solar panel, which is annoying but I frankly haven't had the patience to mess with it. Now, today, I replace the battery in the thing (because, you know, it won't charge off the goddamn solar panel) only to have the "door not closed" error pop up again after I close it.

In addition, their floodlight cam (https://shop.ring.com/products/floodlight-cam) *seems* like a great idea, but to this day still is not capable of being mounted on a horizontal surface, despite the fact that they are now offering a new(-ish?) updated version of the product. This means that I can't tip the camera up far enough to get the view that I actually want. This is a known issue from Ring. (https://twitter.com/ring/status/817206112596459520?lang=en)

I've also had a few issues of cameras not catching action when I know something has occurred. For example, I have a video at 9 am where there's nothing at my gate, and then a video at 10 am where a package is sitting inside the gate, yet no recording of it being placed there.

So I'm considering Arlo (https://www.arlo.com/en-us/default.aspx). They don't have a direct replacement for the floodlight cam, so I'll just have to go back to a standard motion-sensing floodlight, but that also means I can mount the camera wherever I want not just where the floodlight is. They do have powered, battery, and solar options so there's a bit of a 1:1 there with what I have now.

I'm curious to know what cameras others are using, your pros/cons/would you recommend, etc. I'm fine with paying for a service (pretty sure I'm paying for Ring now).