PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Ranger 147gr RA9B

Sauer Koch
04-09-2017, 07:39 AM
I found some of the 147gr Bonded (RA9B) for .36 cents p/round, which seems quite cheap for premium defense rounds; agree? I've looked around, and found nothing close to this.

I'm thinking about grabbing a 500-round case of this ($179 + $13 S&H)

5pins
04-09-2017, 08:02 AM
Bone Frog has some HST's in that price range.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/search?type=product&q=9mm&submit=Search

Sauer Koch
04-09-2017, 08:52 AM
They have great prices, thanks!

JSGlock34
04-09-2017, 09:59 AM
RA9B used to be my choice for carry ammunition, but there have been some irregularities reported at various times. You might want to check the date code to make sure it isn't a lot from the problematic period. I had an odd experience where I opened a case of Q4364 to discover the cartridge casings were randomly marked +P or +P+...to Winchester's credit I submitted photographs of the mismatched cartridges and they quickly sent me a shipping label and a refund check. I've since moved onto Gold Dot and G2 loads for my carry pistols.

SAFETY ADVISORY: Winchester Ranger Bonded 9mm 147 grain (Q4364) (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?10396-SAFETY-ADVISORY-Winchester-Ranger-Bonded-9mm-147-grain-(Q4364))

Sauer Koch
04-09-2017, 10:38 AM
According to SG Ammo, the Q4364 was from about '07-'08, and is packaged in the yellow box. The rounds I'm looking at are in the black box. Have there been any issues with the rounds marked RA9B?

JSGlock34
04-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Being a few years now since the issue, I'm not sure whether the problems were specific to Q4364 vs. RA9B (I'm also not sure if that's a distinction without a difference though). Here's the issue I had with the case marked Q4364 - you can see that the cartridges are at least marked randomly as normal loads or +P, which gave me concern about the reliability of this ammunition for carry. In any case, Winchester made it right without drama. In fact, I had asked Winchester to simply send me a case of replacement ammunition, as this load was difficult to find at the time, but they preferred to send the check.

The only reason I even raise this as an issue is that I had also jumped at a good price when I bought that case, and perhaps it was a good deal because these rounds were found unsuitable for .gov service? This being the internet, you'll always find someone who had a problem with something. I wouldn't worry much about new RA9B, and I'm confident that Winchester would take care of you if a problem arises.

Sauer Koch
04-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Yeah, SG has some of this stuff in stock now. The pic of the stuff I'm looking at is different, so I 'd hope they're showing exactly what they're selling....

Tamara
04-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Bone Frog has some HST's in that price range.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/search?type=product&q=9mm&submit=Search

Bone Frog is a known good source? I've seen good prices but didn't pull the trigger 'cause I had no word of mouth.

JCS
04-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Bone Frog is a known good source? I've seen good prices but didn't pull the trigger 'cause I had no word of mouth.

Just a sample of one, but I ordered some fmj for a class and a few boxes of hst and it shipped within 24 hrs. No issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WobblyPossum
04-09-2017, 01:45 PM

I've ordered ammo from Bone Frog twice (500 rounds of 55gr Speer Gold Dot .223 and 1000 rounds of 124gr +P Federal HST 9mm). Great prices and fast shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5pins
04-09-2017, 05:52 PM

I ordered from them a few weeks ago with no issues.

Nephrology
04-09-2017, 06:16 PM

In case you didn't get enough feedback, exceptionally good company.

Sauer Koch
04-09-2017, 09:15 PM
I almost bought from them, but I wasn't sure how long it would take them to ship it. SG is tough to beat...they get it shipped quick, and usually on my doorstep within 3-4 days!! Granted, they're in central Okla., and I'm in New Orleans, so it's not too far.

Super77
04-09-2017, 10:33 PM

I just got a case of the HST 147 +P from them and it looks good. New production ammo with "06-16" printed on the inside of the box. Shipping was pretty fast.

Nephrology
04-10-2017, 12:05 PM
I almost bought from them, but I wasn't sure how long it would take them to ship it. SG is tough to beat...they get it shipped quick, and usually on my doorstep within 3-4 days!! Granted, they're in central Okla., and I'm in New Orleans, so it's not too far.

I usually buy from SG too - Bonefrog is a great alternative and especially good for having high quality JHPs on hand in good quantity. Always stocks 147/124gr +P HSTs and Gold Dots and as mentioned very fast shipping too. Also owned by a former US Navy SEAL; I am always happy to give veterans my business when I get the chance.

Sauer Koch
04-10-2017, 01:01 PM
I usually buy from SG too - Bonefrog is a great alternative and especially good for having high quality JHPs on hand in good quantity. Always stocks 147/124gr +P HSTs and Gold Dots and as mentioned very fast shipping too. Also owned by a former US Navy SEAL; I am always happy to give veterans my business when I get the chance.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind for next time.

txdpd
04-10-2017, 08:38 PM
I'd stay away from Winchester. My department dropped Winchester due to an assortment of QC issues that included RA9T. Everyone has a bad run every now and now, but Winchester go to the point of having a good run every now and then, and put out a lot of suspect ammo.

Clay
04-10-2017, 08:54 PM
I have used Bonefrog, Mass Ammo, Target Sports, and SG Ammo, all with great service and prices, especially on the holiday sales and overstock.

I second the caution when it comes to Winchester ammo. I have seen a lot of bad Winchester ammo in various calibers in the last year or so. Not to mention there are better options for practice and carry ammo, in my opinion.

Sauer Koch
04-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Good to know. I bought more 124gr HST instead.

Nephrology
04-11-2017, 05:41 AM
I'd stay away from Winchester. My department dropped Winchester due to an assortment of QC issues that included RA9T. Everyone has a bad run every now and now, but Winchester go to the point of having a good run every now and then, and put out a lot of suspect ammo.

I heard that and will be retiring my last 2 boxes of RA9T into the berm at my range.

coN
04-11-2017, 11:10 PM
Bought 2000 rounds of 147 HST and quite a bit of 556 TAP. BF is legit.