PDA

View Full Version : CMP To Receive 86,000 M1 Garands From The Philippines

HCM
04-08-2017, 10:03 AM
CMP To Receive 86,000 M1 Garands From The Philippines

Good news for fans of the M1 Garand. The Civilian Marksmanship Program is expected to receive 86,000 of these surplus WWII rifles from the government of the Philippines.

the) CMP will be receiving the rifles once the Phillipines prepares them for shipment. CMP reimburses the Army transportation costs of getting these rifles back as they have with every other shipment sent to us. We do not know when these rifles will be shipped back, but they have been approved…” Johnson said in a post to that group.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/04/07/breaking-cmp-receive-86000-m1-garands-philippines/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=SumoMe&utm_campaign=sumome_share

Adam
04-08-2017, 10:21 AM
1) This is good news of course.
2) It puts in perspective how many Garands were made over the years. Amazing. I probably need another one.

Bigghoss
04-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Saw this on FB. I'm very excited for it. I have always wanted a Garand or two. I remember about 7 or so years ago I checked the Big 5 add on Sunday and saw M1 rifles for $500. I literally ran out to my truck to get down there, had the proverbial old lady been in the way I would have laid her out and not even looked back. They had sold out two hours before I had seen the add.

Suvorov
04-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Did those Korean guns the previous administration attempted to stop ever make it in (I get the CMP newsletters but I have to say I'm usually to lazy to read them all)?

Drang
04-09-2017, 01:18 AM
No.

ragnar_d
04-09-2017, 08:47 AM
I'll be waiting with card in hand for them to make it to the website . . . that is if I dont beat a path to the Anniston CMP store to lay hands on one in person.

Greg
04-09-2017, 10:10 AM
I will be all over this like stink on a monkey.

Lester Polfus
04-09-2017, 10:14 AM
That's cool. I wonder if there are any stocks of M1 carbines out there.

pastaslinger
04-09-2017, 01:46 PM
That's cool. I wonder if there are any stocks of M1 carbines out there.

I think there are, I want to say the shipment that had been blocked by EO was supposed to bring back carbines from Korea which is a damn shame because I want one but the current prices are ridiculous

SeriousStudent
04-09-2017, 03:05 PM
If that happens, I'm going to pick up an M1 Garand and an M1 carbine.

Because: reasons.

SecondsCount
04-09-2017, 03:53 PM
If that happens, I'm going to pick up an M1 Garand and an M1 carbine.

Because: reasons.

I have a Garand, just need a solid carbine.:cool:

TheNewbie
04-09-2017, 11:44 PM
How reliable were the m1 carbines?

Drang
04-10-2017, 12:04 AM
GI carbines were reliable enough that they issued them into the 60s, and police departments and allies were issuing them later than that. (Although the design shares some of the weaknesses of the M1 Garand, i.e., the operating rod is external, and has several odd angles to it. This does not seem to have been a problem for either rifle in rpactice, but from an engineering standpoint, well, they're weaknesses.)

If you manage to get your mitts on one, you might need to be wary of magazines, my father's did not accept some brands of aftermarket mags

The ammo is hot... for a pistol caliber. GI hardball is marginal as a man-stopper, or even a whitetail stopper. And any .30 Carbine ammo is expensive.

Still they're short and light and might be ideal as a home defense rifle. Get a beater, put on a modern stock and maybe add a rail with an RDS or LPV and a light, and you'll be OK.

Randy Harris
04-10-2017, 08:37 AM
If you stick with GI mags they are extremely reliable. If you use aftermarket ...well...they are....less reliable.

The "problem" with the .30 carbine is essentially a non yawing FMJ "icepick" that either hits vital organs and drops people or zips right through 'em without disrupting much tissue. The CCI Gold Dot SP (now discontinued) and the Hornady Critical Defense will make it far more effective than FMJ. In fact the NYPD Stakeout Squad used them with HP ammo and Jim Cirillo said it was a better stopper than 00 Buck for them.

But let us consider that for a moment. How do we reconcile that with the "horror stories" from Korea? Simple. The NYPD Stakeout unit was using an expanding bullet at 2000 FPS often at 15 yards or less delivered by excellent shooters vs a non expanding, non yawing military FMJ often at 50 yards or more often delivered by ....maybe less than excellent shooters.

It delivers almost DOUBLE the energy of a .357Mag pistol ...but when used with a fmj bullet it acts like an icepick. With expanding ammo it is far more effective and uses that energy to disrupt tissue not to just zip through it .

Randy Harris
04-10-2017, 01:24 PM
To clarify...the .30 carbine FMJ bullet does yaw, it just does not do it early enough to make a difference and depending on the thickness of the target, (big difference in a well nourished 180 lb guy in New York and a 120 lb malnourished guy in Korea) it might be all the way through the guy before it starts to yaw. Point is simply that SP and HP make a big difference in effectiveness over ball ammo in this caliber.