PDA

View Full Version : SwageIt for Dillon 650 results and offer to try it for yourself - other ramblings too

punkey71
04-07-2017, 03:27 PM
I recently upgraded form the Dillon 550 to the 650.

While I've had some growing pains making the change its running nearly perfect and made reloading easier and faster. The more I reload with the 650 the more I realize I'm enjoying the ease at which I can load rounds, not just the speed increase.

Initially I had some case feeder issues with flipped brass. The White casefeeder insert fixed that 100%. It was in the "bag of stuff" I got from the seller but I didn't even know what it was until I researched flipped cases. (I got the press set up for 45ACP).

Next was some timing issues with the priming system. I initially thought 100% of my problem was crimped 9mm pick up brass from my club. That was it, partially. After researching crushed primers I found out all about the timing and how to fix it. Mine was off (too far advanced by a hair) and once I addressed it was better but I still needed to move on to the crimped brass issue due to crushed primers.

On my 550 the crimped brass never really bothered me too much. Not that I could force the primer, but when I noticed it I just snatched it off the shell plate and tossed it in a box "for later". With a casefeeder on a 650 it really screws up my rhythm and became quite annoying. I was crushing primers like it was my job. I rarely crushed primers on the 550. If I was a little late in noticing a crimp on the 550 it would partially insert the primer and I'd just toss the case with partially inserted primer. On the 650 it crushes them quite often and they disintegrate into pieces that would get into the rotary priming system and bind it up enough to make me stop, disassemble and clean the priming system, and restart. Any speed gain from the 650 was gone at that point.

I thought about the Dillon swager but decided that if I'm going to swage I want to do it quickly and take advantage of the casefeeder.

I ordered the SwageIt for the 650. http://swageit.com/swage-it-s650-for-small-primer/

Set up was painless. Remove a few things. Add the swager with 2 bolts. Done.

I threw some brass in the casefeeder and started swaging. You can definitely tell when you hit a good crimp (WCC), a "light" crimp and no crimp. Since all you're doing is swaging you can really fly. I was pulling the handle about 2000 times an hour. I DID NOT do it for an hour straight. I'd do about 400-500 rounds in 15 min "sessions". Quite painless, but it is your time. Value is subjective. I have an odd schedule and am off during the week when my kids are in school. I can find an hour nearly every day that would have been wasted in front of the TV in order to pull a 650 handle to swage.

Over the last week I've swaged about 5,000 cases. Since I pick up most of my brass for reloading I'm probably done swaging for the year.

Now that the timing is addressed, swaging is done and the press is up and running I'm loading at a very respectable pace with ZERO crushed primers. Some pockets do feel tight and you can tell when you need to give it a little extra to "pop" it in. Nowhere near the pressure to detonate a primer, just an little extra pressure and the "pop".

Id have to sit down and do the math on what my "rounds per hour" including swaging are, but honestly, I'm not really concerned about it. With the casefeeder it is just so much "nicer" loading rounds. The lack of handling brass has an unbelievable impact on the process. I'm learning that "easier" reloading is just as important as "fast" reloading.

Wet tumbling, swaging and a casefeeder have made reloading so much cleaner and easier that I don't dread going into the dungeon to load. Once I get a bullet feeder I'll be so spoiled I won't know what to do with myself. I'm not even in a hurry for it, actually.

So, the offer for 650 owners - if you want to try the SwageIt, PM me and I'll ship it to you to try out. Just send it back when you're done. If more than one person wants to try I'll ask you to mail it to the next in line. If it's gone for months I'm fine. I've enough swaged brass for a long time. I'm good as long it works its way back to me eventually.

#Dillon650 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Dillon650)

mmc45414
04-07-2017, 04:24 PM
So, the offer for 650 owners - if you want to try the SwageIt, PM me and I'll ship it to you to try out. Just send it back when you're done. If more than one person wants to try I'll ask you to mail it to the next in line. If it's gone for months I'm fine. I've enough swaged brass for a long time. I'm good as long it works its way back to me eventually.

As I mentioned in another thread, I bought one for the 550 and will make the same offer. I also tweaked mine to make it work a little easier and not drive so much into the pocket. I also have upgraded to a 650 and would sell mine if anybody wants it.