PDA

View Full Version : Home invasions on the rise.

Shellback
12-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Something to be aware of this Christmas season. Home invasions are on the rise in many areas of the country. Some valuable info in these articles and lots of things to contemplate. http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20111218/NEWS/112180329/Home-invasions-on-the-rise?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE

The couple went to bed on Oct. 18 in their three-bedroom ranch home near Hartly with a sense of peace and security, the way they had every night for 37 years.

But at 5 a.m., their rear door was kicked in with such force that the knobs and other hardware hit the front wall, 24 feet away.
In seconds, two men dressed entirely in black were at their bedside pointing guns at their heads and screaming.

Another story here with video. http://www.fox8.com/news/akroncanton/wjw-canton-family-home-invasion-suspects-txt,0,387982.story

Joe Noel had taken his familiar place in front of his television, watching football Sunday night, when he says two men unexpectedly came through his front door.

Before he realized what was happening, Noel says one of the men was pointing a gun at his head.

"The guy comes straight through the door and pulled out a gun, and said, 'This ain't no joke, get down on the ground,' and asked me for my money," said Noel.

Ed L
12-20-2011, 02:16 PM
The home invasions referenced show the importance of a stronge door and locks, an alarm, a dog, all to delay and terer the potential home invader.

Home invasions also begin with a knock at the door. Many people respond by opening without asking who it is. If they ask who it is, there is often lies and subtrafuge employed by the home invader to get the homeowner to open the door. "Power company" or "maintenance" are common responses. They should raise immediate red flags if you did not arrange a visit with the entity trying to get you to open the door.

Other possible ruses include mentiong an accident outside or claiming that they ran into your car.

It may even be a woman asking for help.

You really have to be careful and not open the door unless you know who it is. If there is any doubt, call the police.

You also have to make sure that your family and/or roomates follow the same procedures.

JHC
12-20-2011, 03:39 PM
I know someone who experienced one of these as he sat for dinner with his wife and teenage daughter. They walked in from the open garage right into the kitchen. Duct taped up mother and daughter and put a gun to his head as he opened up his gun safe. They cleaned him out. No one physically harmed fortunately. He kept a pistol and an AK loaded and ready to go for home defense. Both upstairs in the master bedroom. Duh.

Shellback
12-20-2011, 03:56 PM
They walked in from the open garage right into the kitchen.

I'm not picking on your friend but I've never understood why people leave doors open and/or unlocked. I know a lot of it depends on where they live and life experiences but I'm all for keeping the gates to the castle barred.

My wife grew up in upstate NY on a dairy farm where they left all the car keys in the ignitions and the house was never locked either. Needless to say she's adopted a different mindset since we've been together.

Chuck Haggard
12-20-2011, 06:54 PM
For awhile we had a whole bunch of home invasions, agg. burglaries (in KS that means the buidling was occupied) and robberies to persons. We caught up to the crew doing all of this after they killed one victim and wounded the other during the course of a robbery.

All, I say again ALL, of the home invasions or burglaries were due to doors being left unlocked overnight while folks slept.

JHC
12-20-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm not picking on your friend but I've never understood why people leave doors open and/or unlocked. I know a lot of it depends on where they live and life experiences but I'm all for keeping the gates to the castle barred.

My wife grew up in upstate NY on a dairy farm where they left all the car keys in the ignitions and the house was never locked either. Needless to say she's adopted a different mindset since we've been together.

I "know" him. He's not a friend. Have at him. FWIW, he noticed unusual shoes of one of the masked robbers . . . worn by a former problem employee. The police rolled them up fairly quickly.

Kyle Reese
12-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Stay frosty....