PDA

View Full Version : M&P Firing pin break; anyone else?

nwhpfan
12-19-2011, 03:58 PM
I have a new model M&P9 with the stainless firing pin. Shot the 2k round challenge with it - no problems. The other day I see the firing pin is broken. It had been a week at most since I shot it before I noticed this. I got a new firing pin in but it was one of the black ones; which I've been told indicate an older style. Shot 150 rounds plus about 100 dry fires over a week before it broke too. Both pieces broke right at the hilt or base and the nipple portion just popped off. Firing pin Chanel looks normal; any thoughts?

Wes Peart
12-19-2011, 04:20 PM
I think some people might call that a "sign".

How much dry fire did you do with the stainless one? FP breakage is a well known issue with M&P's especially with the old ones.

MEH
12-19-2011, 04:31 PM
The older black strikers were known to have issues. Never heard of a silver one breaking so early. They're reputed to last "forever" by some.

Anecdotally, my M&P passed 5K live rounds on the original black striker this morning. At least double that dry fire. Probably time to change it.

nwhpfan
12-19-2011, 04:45 PM
I think some people might call that a "sign".

How much dry fire did you do with the stainless one? FP breakage is a well known issue with M&P's especially with the old ones.

I dry fire, inconsistently 2-3 times a day for 5-10 minutes at a time. Maybe get a hundred total in a day.

Magsz
12-19-2011, 06:38 PM
The new strikers dont last forever but good lord are they tough...

When i was actively shooting M&P's i broke one striker in 55k rounds and god knows how many dry fires.

After that break i switched to silver strikers and logged a ton of dry fire and a ton of live fire with nary an issue.

You could be the unlucky gent that ended up with a bad batch of strikers or something else could be at play. At any rate, S&W will take care of you so contact them and let us know what the resolution is.

DocGKR
12-20-2011, 01:40 AM
I have dry fired an M&P45 most days for the past 2 years and shoot 100-150 rds a week out of one. The striker has not broken. Nor have I seen a broken silver striker yet, despite being around a fair number of M&P's.

nwhpfan
12-20-2011, 02:34 AM
I have dry fired an M&P45 most days for the past 2 years and shoot 100-150 rds a week out of one. The striker has not broken. Nor have I seen a broken silver striker yet, despite being around a fair number of M&P's.

I too have a .45 and I've shot it way more; and dry fired way more than my 9.

ToddG
12-20-2011, 03:27 PM
The newer (silver) M&P strikers don't seem any more prone to trouble than any other gun's firing pin or striker. So while that doesn't mean it's impossible to break one, I'd chalk this up to simple bad luck.

Colt191145lover
12-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I broke my silver striker in my M&P9 full size in less than 2 months and under 300 rounds ... but I also was doing a massive amount of dry firing

DocGKR
12-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Hopefully you use a snap cap...

Colt191145lover
12-20-2011, 04:34 PM
after that .... I do religiously!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

nwhpfan
12-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Here's a couple pics of the firing pins. The stainless is the one that came with the pistol. After it broke I got the black one-it was new. S&W is sending me two new ones...

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad359/nwhpfan/IMG_0346.jpg

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad359/nwhpfan/IMG_0353.jpg

Magsz
12-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Thats actually REALLY interesting...

Ive never seen the firing pin break there. The most common failure is behind the "barrel" of the pin towards the front where it starts to taper or where the spring cup is.

Very...interesting.

Randy Lee
12-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi,

I know of one customer who had the Rev. B striker fail after approximately 80 rounds. It broke in the same location that yours did. So far, there are far fewer complaints of breaking strikers than before. This bit of trivia doesn't really help you, but I think it may be a defect in the individual part.

Today, while diagnosing a gun for light strikes found that the tip of the striker was flat. The defect appears to be from the particular mold that the factory used in this case. This is the first case I have seen of this particular malady...

-Randy