PDA

View Full Version : I-85 bridge collapse in downtown Atlanta

jlw
03-30-2017, 07:28 PM
A fire has caused a bridge section of I-85 to collapse in downtown Atlanta. This will be a longterm situation.

------

For those coming to the Gabe White class this weekend, you will need to travel a route that keeps you well away from downtown Atlanta.

BehindBlueI's
03-30-2017, 07:44 PM
...Wow. As if ATL traffic isn't fuckered enough normally.

11B10
03-30-2017, 07:46 PM

Just had to click a "LIKE" for "fuckered!"

Jim Watson
03-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Had one like that in Birmingham several years ago. Fuel tanker brewed up under an overpass in "Malfunction Junction" the I20, I59, I65 central interchange.
Traffic was royally scrambled for a while. But the response was amazingly fast for the Highway Department, there were crews out there long hours and they got it rebuilt much sooner than I expected.

jlw
03-30-2017, 07:49 PM

Yup, and two of the I-85 diversion routes run through our county.

98z28
03-30-2017, 08:46 PM
Had one like that in Birmingham several years ago. Fuel tanker brewed up under an overpass in "Malfunction Junction" the I20, I59, I65 central interchange.
Traffic was royally scrambled for a while. But the response was amazingly fast for the Highway Department, there were crews out there long hours and they got it rebuilt much sooner than I expected.

That sucked so bad. We lived in Tuscaloosa at the time and travelled back and forth to Huntsville. Downtown Atlanta has to be at least an order of magnitude worse.

Stephanie B
03-30-2017, 09:36 PM
Same sort of thing happened in Bridgeport, CT some years back. They fixed the highway at about Warp 5.

RJ
03-30-2017, 09:46 PM
Holy crap.

I lived for two years on Peachtree Street, a stones throw from I-85/I-75 junction.

It is very hard to describe how screwed up traffic in ATL is going to be for months and months.

God I hope they get this fixed asap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luke
03-30-2017, 10:10 PM
GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco
03-30-2017, 10:32 PM
GuanoLoco

F'Me I am supposed to be rolling through Atlanta on 20 Friday night. I just moved my hotel from off 85 to off 20, closer to the range. I guess I can take the southern part of the 285 beltway around the city, will check Google maps

Dr_Thanatos
03-30-2017, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=Luke;583972]GuanoLoco[/QUOT

F'Me I am supposed to be rolling through Atlanta on 20 Friday night. I just moved my hotel from off 85 to off 20, closer to the range. I guess I can take the southern part of the 285 beltway around the city, will check Google maps
Likely 20 will just be its usual level of retardedness.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Frank R
03-30-2017, 11:31 PM
Bad news for a lot of folks.

HCM
03-31-2017, 01:15 AM
Georgia State Patrol is seeking this unidentified person for questioning in relation to the fire that caused collapse of I-85 just north of downtown Atlanta.

JHC
03-31-2017, 03:03 AM
Georgia State Patrol is seeking this unidentified person for questioning in relation to the fire that caused collapse of I-85 just north of downtown Atlanta.

Oh dude. ROFL

Shellback
03-31-2017, 05:01 AM
And Campus Carry is on the Gov's desk. (http://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-campus-carry-gun-bill-wins-final-passage/lna6rFzhVdK1BuLGwAiFWK/)

Georgia lawmakers gave final passage early Friday morning to a measure legalizing guns on the state’s public college and university campuses, sending it to Gov. Nathan Deal for his signature...

peterthefish
03-31-2017, 07:12 AM
Are they going to rename it Falcons bridge after this epic collapse?

Robinson
03-31-2017, 07:56 AM
I guess I can take the southern part of the 285 beltway around the city, will check Google maps

That's the route I took last night -- my flight home from New England landed around 8pm and the flight crew announced the collapse so I was aware of it. I just took 85 South from the airport to 285 East all the way around and picked up 85 North from there. No drama, though 285 was busy for that time in the evening.

jlw
03-31-2017, 08:04 AM

There are places around here still where that would get you shot. I am not kidding.

jlw
03-31-2017, 08:06 AM
[QUOTE=Luke;583972]@GuanoLoco (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=12653)[/QUOT

I posted some directions for you in the class thread, but I-20 will be a much better option than I-285.

Even when I-85 is up and running, I use one of the routes posted in the other thread.

TGS
03-31-2017, 08:19 AM
There are places around here still where that would get you shot. I am not kidding.

Too soon? Still?

:cool:

jlw
03-31-2017, 08:33 AM
Too soon? Still?

I am not kidding. No emoticons.

There's still folks around here whose grandfathers were executed because they were skilled workers, and their grandmothers were raped by looting troops.

John Hearne
03-31-2017, 08:37 AM
Too soon? Still?

"The past is never dead. It's not even past."

jlw
03-31-2017, 09:02 AM
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12189110_899081763473045_8561326811735101544_n.jpg ?oh=a87515952ed9abe4fc68b19fd42e5616&oe=594F67EC

This is Freeman Weems. He enlisted in the Confederate Army, but was sent home because he was a skilled cobbler, and it was determined that he was more valuable making brogans than toting a rifle. He worked in the Denham Tannery. Three of his daughters married Denham boys.

The tannery was burned. Some of the workers were executed. Freeman and a few others managed to escape. One of the Denham boys only survived due to hiding in a creek and breathing through a reed.

All but four of the houses in town were burned. My son will sleep in one of them tonight.

MichaelD
03-31-2017, 09:24 AM
This is Freeman Weems.

Liked, because I admire those who know and care about their family history.

Frank R
03-31-2017, 09:43 AM

Give it up.

HCountyGuy
03-31-2017, 09:45 AM
Glad I decided against coming up near Atlanta last night and drove up this morning.

Atlantans still excel at turning multiple interstates into parking lots, this at least provides an excuse.

Tamara
03-31-2017, 09:53 AM
Too soon? Still?

In my home town, it's a well-know fact that Sherman's first name is ThatBastard.

GardoneVT
03-31-2017, 11:03 AM
Too soon? Still?

Yeaup. That's all this black dude will say on the matter.

Peally
03-31-2017, 12:08 PM

https://youtu.be/gwpDe3iaQ_A

For those not in the know that's from counter strike, don't look too far into it.

hufnagel
03-31-2017, 12:34 PM
The South does not forgive.
The South does not forget.
152 years isn't long enough for some of those wounds to have healed, or at least scarred over.

Wheeler
03-31-2017, 05:23 PM
In my home town, it's a well-know fact that Sherman's first name is ThatBastard.

I know folks that spit when they hear his name. I've observed sweet, kind, little old ladies who never had a cross word for anyone drop a blue streak at the mention of his name.

Not only did he order his troops to make war on non combatant women and children, they also visited the same atrocities on the black population.

jlw
03-31-2017, 05:43 PM
I know folks that spit when they hear his name. I've observed sweet, kind, little old ladies who never had a cross word for anyone drop a blue streak at the mention of his name.

Not only did he order his troops to make war on non combatant women and children, they also visited the same atrocities on the black population.

As he moved between Macon and Savannah, his army was being trailed by refugee now-former slaves. His army was also being pursued by a Confederate force. He had his army cross a river and then strand the refugees. They were left defenseless, and unfortunately, atrocity begets atrocity.

He was equally warm and loving toward the Native populations out west.

John Hearne
03-31-2017, 05:49 PM
Besides his brilliant tactical victories, the fact that the only Confederate General feared was Forrest is very telling of Forrest's prowess.

Wheeler
03-31-2017, 06:00 PM
Besides his brilliant tactical victories, the fact that the only Confederate General feared was Forrest is very telling of Forrest's prowess.

I might argue that with you over a cup of coffee sometime, my treat of course. Jackson had quite the reputation as a formidable fighter and tactician.

Wheeler
03-31-2017, 06:02 PM
As he moved between Macon and Savannah, his army was being trailed by refugee now-former slaves. His army was also being pursued by a Confederate force. He had his army cross a river and then strand the refugees. They were left defenseless, and unfortunately, atrocity begets atrocity.

He was equally warm and loving toward the Native populations out west.

I'll have to look up the appropriate reference, I recall that Sherman was sent to Europe as an observer in one of the many European conflicts of the era. The host officers were absolutely appalled at his suggestion to attack the civilians of the opposing troops.

jlw
03-31-2017, 06:08 PM
In the early days of the war, General Thomas J. Jackson proposed taking an army up the Shenandoah, cutting across Maryland, and burning Philadelphia before the yanks could organized. Based upon his performance when in independent command in the Shenandoah, he probably could have accomplished it. President Davis wouldn't authorize such tactics. Lincoln did.

Major Henry Wirz was executed because of Andersonville even though he repeatedly tried to surrender the prison to the Union. The Union operated a prison in Illinois that was every bit as bad as Andersonville. My great-great-grandfather was pictured several posts above this one. His first cousin, Joel, died in that camp. It's commander wasn't executed.

History is an interesting thing.

Peally
03-31-2017, 06:25 PM
if I was on the ball enough I'd take advantage of this seething buried anger somehow.

Pro tip: civil war was fought in a good old age of total warfare loving assholes.

TGS
03-31-2017, 06:28 PM
I'll have to look up the appropriate reference, I recall that Sherman was sent to Europe as an observer in one of the many European conflicts of the era. The host officers were absolutely appalled at his suggestion to attack the civilians of the opposing troops.

Oddly out of character to the point that I question the truthfulness. Total war was pretty standard back in those days.

Not attacking civilians is actually sort of a new thing specific to Western civilization and only within the last 70 years at that....

if I was on the ball enough I'd take advantage of this seething buried anger somehow.

Yeah right. There's some serious triggers going on here, even a joke got people all sorts of stirred up.

The south will rise again, damn yanks, carpetbaggers, so on.

Peally
03-31-2017, 06:35 PM
I am not the Ulysses S Grant of trolling right now. Too hungry, need food.

Maybe I'll have some BBQ. Spoils to the victor and all that, we don't have great food up here.

MK11
03-31-2017, 06:38 PM
History is an interesting thing.

Particularly the revisionist history of the noble South.

Tamara
03-31-2017, 06:45 PM
I was born in Chicago and moved to Atlanta as a child. Growing up there, all my friends had grandparents about the same age as mine, which is to say they'd been born in the 1910-1920 period. This meant that when their grandparents were children, the Civil War was no further in the past than the Vietnam War is now. Anybody here got 'Nam vet parents? "Living memory" goes back further than we think it does.

TGS
03-31-2017, 06:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeZ0mDdOfV4

hufnagel
03-31-2017, 07:05 PM
Soooooooooooooooo..... any more news on the bridge?

jlw
03-31-2017, 07:06 PM
Particularly the revisionist history of the noble South.

Some parts were noble; others were disgusting. There's nothing to revise in that statement nor anything I have posted.

Chef
03-31-2017, 07:14 PM
Soooooooooooooooo..... any more news on the bridge?

I work a stones throw away from the bridge and my commute is now official fuckery in the PM. Google maps had THOUSANDS of cars cutting through neighborhoods for miles and miles. I have heard everything from 3 months to 8 months until 85 is opened- all from "official" channels.

hufnagel
03-31-2017, 07:16 PM
No news about the cause?
Heard under the bridge was some kind of storage depot for transit maintenance or something.
Something under there REALLY liked to burn.

jlw
03-31-2017, 07:23 PM
I was born in Chicago and moved to Atlanta as a child. Growing up there, all my friends had grandparents about the same age as mine, which is to say they'd been born in the 1910-1920 period. This meant that when their grandparents were children, the Civil War was no further in the past than the Vietnam War is now. Anybody here got 'Nam vet parents? "Living memory" goes back further than we think it does.

One of my great-great-grandmothers died when I was six. She was born in 1878.

One of my great-grandfathers died when I was nine. He was born in 1897.

One of my great-grandmothers died when I was six. She was born in 1901.

To prove your statement, in the picture below are three WWII veterans, two Korean-era veterans (called back to active duty but not sent to Korea), a Vietnam veteran, a couple of inter-war year veterans. That's just among all of the brothers in the picture.

The gent in the back row on the left with excellent taste in headwear is my grandfather (holding my mother). The elder gent seated on the front row to the right is my great-grandfather. That is a son that he is holding, not a grandson. Uncle Howard, back row second from the right, was killed in Dossenheim, Germany. I can tell you many a Howard story, even though he died almost 30 years before I was born.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11081308_805632079484681_5037593659756299368_n.jpg ?oh=cc41228fa0d06172e34d4547fc2993eb&oe=595DDCF9

And irony in it's truest form, one of the boys was named Sherman.

Tamara
03-31-2017, 07:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeZ0mDdOfV4

Hey, since Chief Deputy Weems is way too classy to phrase it this way, you got any dead relatives we could joke about, TGS? Maybe any raped g'grandmas? After all, it was a long time ago and we're just funnin'. Not tryin' to trigger anything.

jlw
03-31-2017, 07:25 PM
No news about the cause?
Heard under the bridge was some kind of storage depot for transit maintenance or something.
Something under there REALLY liked to burn.

There was a bunch of pvc coated wiring stored underneath the bridge. It burned hot enough to cause one side to collapse, and the other side will have to be replaced too.

I don't know if the start of the fire has been determined yet or not.

TGS
03-31-2017, 07:28 PM
Hey, since Chief Deputy Weems is way too classy to phrase it this way, you got any dead relatives we could joke about, TGS? Maybe any raped g'grandmas? After all, it was a long time ago and we're just funnin'. Not tryin' to trigger anything.

:rolleyes:

SD
03-31-2017, 07:32 PM
Well first I'm happy I travelled last weekend and came back home Monday. So wonder why they stored the much coated wire in that particular area.

Peally
03-31-2017, 08:47 PM

Relaxfrancis.jpg

ssb
03-31-2017, 08:47 PM
Local news mentioned three arrests made tonight related to it. No details other than that.

Wheeler
03-31-2017, 08:52 PM
Oddly out of character to the point that I question the truthfulness. Total war was pretty standard back in those days.

Not attacking civilians is actually sort of a new thing specific to Western civilization and only within the last 70 years at that....

Yeah right. There's some serious triggers going on here, even a joke got people all sorts of stirred up.

War had been considered a 'civilized affair' for quite some time. During our Revolutionary War, the British protested at the distressing regularity in which American colonists targeted officers and NCO's, worried that the common enlisted soldiers would revert to their baser instincts. As far as Sherman goes, here's a bit of his biography...

"On February 11, 1864, Sherman’s army attacked and destroyed the railroad center at Meridiant, then dispersed detachments in four directions destroying railroad tracks, bridges, trestles and any train equipment in their way. This was a prelude to ShermanÂ’s “march to the sea” in Georgia and an important milestone in the evolution of strategy in the Civil War’s relentless ascent toward “total war.”"

As far as triggering goes, it's a sore point for many Southerners. Knowing that it's a sore point and then ridiculing those folks shows a proclivity towards callousness and a lack of empathy. Family history means something to a lot of folks in the South. You don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it, but we do ask that you respect it.

SeriousStudent
03-31-2017, 09:00 PM
We had a similar issue here a few years back, although not in nearly as critical a junction. It was a tanker truck full of gasoline that caught fire under a bridge spanning I-20 between Dallas and Fort Worth, if I recall correctly.

The local DOT authorized an incentive contract to pay extra if the bridge was repaired early, with a bonus for each day ahead of schedule. The contractor shared that with the crews, and it was done in a truly amazing period.

Peally
03-31-2017, 09:03 PM
As far as triggering goes, it's a sore point for many Southerners. Knowing that it's a sore point and then ridiculing those folks shows a proclivity towards callousness and a lack of empathy. Family history means something to a lot of folks in the South. You don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it, but we do ask that you respect it.

Every single motherfucker here has a relative that died in the war.

Tamara
03-31-2017, 09:10 PM
Relaxfrancis.jpg

I'm all kind of relaxed.

Look, I realize that most people would have to get all amped up and mad to type things like that. I understand that. Personally, I was laughing while I did. :)

Wheeler
03-31-2017, 09:24 PM
Every single motherfucker here has a relative that died in the war.

OK?

Peally
03-31-2017, 09:26 PM
OK?

My point is you gotta let some shit go for the sake of entertainment. War sucks, we all know it. I still laugh at PTSD dog videos regardless.

Wheeler
03-31-2017, 09:28 PM
My point is you gotta let some shit go for the sake of entertainment. War sucks, we all know it. I still laugh at PTSD dog videos regardless.

It goes deeper than that but I see your point. Seriously, would you not hold enmity towards people that targeted your family members that were non-combatants?

RevolverRob
03-31-2017, 09:37 PM

Your flippancy isn't appreciated.

My family has had members who fought and died in every major conflict in this country - from the French and Indian War through the Global War on Terror. I don't necessarily approve of all the things they did, but they came to this country and worked hard to make something of themselves. Working as indentured servants and eventually becoming property and business owners and helping settle a not insignificant part of South Carolina.

Sherman burned it to the ground. Killed plenty of my family. And the result was leaving those who survived destitute and broken.

Then during Reconstruction, when those "carpetbaggers and so on" came down. They took what was left as spoils of war, though they themselves, never fought for any of it. But they had no problem murdering and killing my family to get it.

It's been 150 years since then. And about the only thing my family has had since then is a few pots to piss in, and two marginally successful businesses (one of them my father's that I helped build). So you'll forgive me, if I just don't find it particularly funny or amusing. Were they all good people, did they do good things? No. But they did what they thought was right at the time and did what any person loyal to their family and home would do. And Sherman and the Reconstruction Carpetbaggers burned or stole it all, it just ain't that funny.

And not to belabor the point much more - it certainly isn't funny coming from a yankee cop.

Peally
03-31-2017, 09:41 PM
I don't, despite it almost assuredly happening at the hands of confederate soldiers. I'm also not pissed at the British for their multiple wars where they royally fucked us up. That shit is how you get pointless Balkanization; if the South is going to rise again (couple more Hillarys and we'll be close) they should do it right and use more of us Northerners as buddies/cannon fodder next time around.

No one here targeted diddly for non combatants. Neither did their parents or grandparents, and the relatives that did very likely had no clue about the overarching random ass reasons for the war. No one here has literally a booger flick to do with the Civil War in any way shape or form aside from family lineage and bitter feelings over a now defunct border.

Wheeler
03-31-2017, 09:42 PM
I don't, despite it almost assuredly happening at the hands of confederate soldiers. I'm also not pissed at the British for their multiple wars where they royally fucked us up. That shit is how you get pointless Balkanization; if the South is going to rise again (couple more Hillarys and we'll be close) they should do it right and use more of us Northerners as buddies/cannon fodder next time around.

No one here targeted diddly for non combatants. Neither did their parents or grandparents, and the relatives that did very likely had no clue about the overarching random ass reasons for the war. No one here has literally a booger flick to do with the Civil War in any way shape or form aside from family lineage and bitter feelings over a now defunct border.

Your point is duly noted.

Tamara
03-31-2017, 11:59 PM
- it certainly isn't funny coming from a yankee cop.

It was nice of him to write
His attempt at oration
We value opinions
From the armpit of the nation. :)

Wondering Beard
04-01-2017, 12:10 AM

Do you mean not attacking civilians as in avoiding what has been a normal part of war for eons? if so then maybe, but only if you limit it to non colonial wars by some Western countries.

If you mean not attacking civilians as in refusing to take advantage of the strategic possibilities inherent in attacking civilians, then its a lot older than you think, especially in the West.

TGS
04-01-2017, 07:32 AM
And not to belabor the point much more - it certainly isn't funny coming from a yankee cop.

Oh for fucks sake....

I work for the union. I'm coming for all your Confederate rebel bastards because the war isn't over! I will make it my life's mission to destroy your proud southern ways and corrupt the morals of your people, because the war ain't over!

Or, maybe you should all be able to fucking relax and take a joke. It's the internet in 2017....And frankly I don't give a fuck about your sacred cow that anytime someone mentions "the south" you people pull out your gray uniforms and battle colors, rallying like you're being victimized. The fact that HCMs joke got people so fucking wound up is ridiculous.....

ranger
04-01-2017, 08:23 AM

The sad part is that there are very few native Georgians in Atlanta - my boss is from Ohio and I have commented before to him he is a "carpetbagger" (we have worked together a long time and he has a sense of humor!).

ranger
04-01-2017, 08:31 AM
I was in Finland on business this week - was at the Helsinki airport waiting on a plane early Friday AM to return to Atlanta - my business traveler buddy and I were talking about I85 bridge and resulting traffic night mare - soon there was a group of about 10 Atlantans at the Helsinki airport gate talking about the resulting traffic mess - who would have thought there would be that many people for Atlanta at one Helsinki gate at that time of the morning.

HCM
04-01-2017, 08:44 AM
The sad part is that there are very few native Georgians in Atlanta ).

There are few native Georgians in Atlanta because they know better.

I thoroughly enjoyed living in SE Georgia but despite have lived and worked in some rough places, Atlanta falls squarely in the "wretched hive of scum and villainy " category for me.

ranger
04-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Wheeler
04-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Oh for fucks sake....

I work for the union. I'm coming for all your Confederate rebel bastards because the war isn't over! I will make it my life's mission to destroy your proud southern ways and corrupt the morals of your people, because the war ain't over!

Or, maybe you should all be able to fucking relax and take a joke. It's the internet in 2017....And frankly I don't give a fuck about your sacred cow that anytime someone mentions "the south" you people pull out your gray uniforms and battle colors, rallying like you're being victimized. The fact that HCMs joke got people so fucking wound up is ridiculous.....

You've made your opinion abundantly clear. You don't give a fuck about it and you can't drop it until you get the last word in. You win dude. You can now tell all your buddies how you put all those in-bred hicks in place.

peterb
04-01-2017, 11:04 AM

The radius needs to be bigger, but.......

Eastex
04-01-2017, 03:28 PM
What a lot of non southerners don't appreciate is that we're mostly Scots-Irish. When we get past what the English did to us before we came over here we'll work on what that rat bastard Sherman did but don't hold your breath, it could take awhile.

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"

ranger
04-01-2017, 04:39 PM
I was listening to local news talking about the various "work arounds" on this traffic disaster. One pointed out the coordination with local employers during the 1996 Olympics with staggered work start times and other efforts to take the edge off traffic. Interesting to note that Atlanta (definition of Atlanta = city plus all the suburbs) was about 3 million people in 1996 and now we are at almost 6 million. I suspect that the amount of teleworking is going to increase dramatically in Atlanta work sites.

Drang
04-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Do tell: 3 charged in ‘maliciously set’ Atlanta highway fire may have been smoking crack - The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/04/01/3-face-charges-in-maliciously-set-fire-that-collapsed-part-of-interstate-85-in-atlanta/?utm_term=.1a79ed4e4306)

My guess, when I learned it was a fire in a "supply dump" for the transit agency, was a joint op between Black Bloc and eco-terrorists.

As for the ninety degree thread drift, my Great Great Grandfather was on Snodgrass Hill with the 22nd Michigan, my Battle Buddy in Basic Training was from Waycross, and my roommate in AIT was from Columbus GA, and it is entirely possible for a Damnyankee and an Unreconstructed Rebel to have a discussion about the Late Unpleasantness without veering into territory that leaves one or both sounding like they'd think it amusing to suggest going to Jerusalem and opening the Auschwitz Pizzeria.

Malamute
04-01-2017, 05:21 PM
What a lot of non southerners don't appreciate is that we're mostly Scots-Irish. When we get past what the English did to us before we came over here we'll work on what that rat bastard Sherman did but don't hold your breath, it could take awhile.

That's probably a point worth considering. Many Scots are still pissed about Bannockburn, 700 years ago.

jlw
04-01-2017, 05:42 PM
I apologize to all of the PF folks. I should not have responded to what was most likely intended as joke. My intent for this thread was to let everyone know about the traffic situation in Atlanta, especially with people coming over to Gabe's class this weekend.

Unfortunately, this thread couldn't remain civil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Peally
04-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Crack heads, of course it was crack heads.

Le Français
04-01-2017, 06:00 PM
That's probably a point worth considering. Many Scots are still pissed about Bannockburn, 700 years ago.
Why are Scots pissed about Bannockburn?

Drang
04-01-2017, 06:17 PM

I'd suggest Glencoe, but it wasn't 700 years ago...

RevolverRob
04-01-2017, 07:23 PM
As for the ninety degree thread drift, my Great Great Grandfather was on Snodgrass Hill with the 22nd Michigan, my Battle Buddy in Basic Training was from Waycross, and my roommate in AIT was from Columbus GA, and it is entirely possible for a Damnyankee and an Unreconstructed Rebel to have a discussion about the Late Unpleasantness without veering into territory that leaves one or both sounding like they'd think it amusing to suggest going to Jerusalem and opening the Auschwitz Pizzeria.

I concur that it is quite possible. But only when both parties are capable of being respectful. When one is bent on being an asshole, well, then that tends to devolve rather quickly.

ranger
04-01-2017, 07:36 PM

Got to laugh at this event - no use crying about it!

Malamute
04-01-2017, 08:06 PM

I'd suggest Glencoe, but it wasn't 700 years ago...

My mistake, I misremembered. I recall Fiona Richie (http://thistleradio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=75) talking about a defeat in battle that some people were still unhappy about on her music program on the radio several years ago, but got the place and time wrong. Trying to find what I was thinking of, but having a pain event, so am not braining well.

ETA:Culloden?

Le Français
04-01-2017, 09:32 PM
My mistake, I misremembered. I recall Fiona Richie (http://thistleradio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=75) talking about a defeat in battle that some people were still unhappy about on her music program on the radio several years ago, but got the place and time wrong. Trying to find what I was thinking of, but having a pain event, so am not braining well.

ETA:Culloden?
I don't know much about Scottish history; I just happened to remember that they put on a pretty good show at Bannockburn. Here's hoping you feel better soon.

Drang
04-01-2017, 09:41 PM

ETA: Culloden?
Probably, also more like 250 years than 700, like Glencoe.
OTOH, the Campbells are OK with both Glencoe and Culloden. I have known people who always (or never) eat MacDonalds, and never (or always) eat Campbell soup. And in the "Only in America" file, I knew a gal (from Georgia, IIRC) who was Campbell on one side, and MacDonald on the other.

Eastex
04-01-2017, 10:18 PM
I try to be accepting of people's ancient grudges, it's part what makes them interesting to me. I don't particularly care for bland boring folks. Tell me you don't use $20 bills because you can't stand Andrew Jackson and I'll find that interesting, I'll still use $20s myself but I'll appreciate your stance. Pick a side, take a stand. You don't have to be right, just don't be boring.

Drang
04-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Tell me you don't use $20 bills because you can't stand Andrew Jackson and I'll find that interesting, I'll still use $20s myself but I'll appreciate your stance.
But do you appreciate the irony?

(I tried to get people to call it an "Irony" instead of a "Jackson" or a "Double Sawbuck", but I got tired of having to explain it.)

Jim Watson
04-02-2017, 09:28 AM
There was a collector and gun show wheeler dealer here who would not accept $50 bills because of the portrait of The Invader.
Silly.

critter
04-03-2017, 03:59 PM

Hey now... The Falcons didn't collapse. It's quite obvious that during halftime they were hacked by the Russians. :p

Malamute
04-03-2017, 05:09 PM
Probably, also more like 250 years than 700, like Glencoe.
OTOH, the Campbells are OK with both Glencoe and Culloden. I have known people who always (or never) eat MacDonalds, and never (or always) eat Campbell soup. And in the "Only in America" file, I knew a gal (from Georgia, IIRC) who was Campbell on one side, and MacDonald on the other.

For another odd combination, I was born and raised in Midwest Yankeeland, but have a family line connection with a guy named Davis. Jeff Davis. I heard he was big in the South.

I believe my dad knew the girls of that line from his small childhood.

Arbninftry
04-03-2017, 05:34 PM
For another odd combination, I was born and raised in Midwest Yankeeland, but have a family line connection with a guy named Davis. Jeff Davis. I heard he was big in the South.

I believe my dad knew the girls of that line from his small childhood.
He is a big deal in Fairview, KY. Just down the road from Fort Campbell, KY.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Davis_State_Historic_Site

Drang
04-03-2017, 05:39 PM
To take the thread even further afield, I don't understand why no one has written a novel/made a movie about the adventures of Lieutenant Jefferson Davis, USA, and Captain Abraham Lincoln, Illinois Militia, in the Blackhawk War...
(Maybe a prequel to Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.)

Malamute
04-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter was a pretty good documentary film.

TDA
04-03-2017, 09:23 PM
Sorry, I had some interstate highway stuff, but no ACW material. Deleting!