PDA

View Full Version : IDPA gear help

octagon
03-28-2017, 10:15 AM
I am looking to get into IDPA and had a few questions about gear. I normally wear a Whitehat hybrid holster (similar to Crossbreed) worn at 3-3:30 position and carry a Glock 23. I iften don't carry a spare magazine since leaving a major metropolitan and high crime area for rural farm country. When I did carry a spare mag I used the factory Glock mag pouch which held the mag very securely and close to the body(OWB) but is pretty slow to draw the mag because it has so much drag and rides pretty high on the magazine. I also have an all kydex MTAC IWB tuckable holster that I used for awhile but it wore my clothing until there was a hole so I don't use it anymore for regular carry. I also carry with T shirt/polo closed front cover garment. Is this an issue for IDPA?

I plan to use a Glock 19 with Ameriglow CAP or Spaulding sights as I like the Trijicon HD sights I have on my 23 and 9mm ammo is cheaper as I run down my 40 supply. I plan on using the Whitehat holster unless there is a significant issue as I prefer to stay close to what I carry daily. What I don't have a clue about is what mag carriers to use that would be decent for IDPA and maybe USPSA later but that also may work OK for concealed carry without printing. Does anyone use IWB mag carrier in IDPA? If so what and how do you like it?

Is it better to change to OWB belt holster like an Unkle Mikes kydex holster I have instead of the hybrid or all kydex IWB holsters I also have?

As the gear suggests I am not looking to be super competitive nor would I be as a novice but I do want to get gear that I can and may likely use daily and not be super slow and cumbersome in IDPA use too.

Luke
03-28-2017, 10:25 AM
If it were me, and I wanted to stay true to EDC I would use the same holster (IWB) you normally carry with the same shirts you normally use and then buy some low profile mag carries that could actually be used for EDC. I'm not a fan of IWB mag pouches, I really liked the kytex brand mag pouches. Concealed VERY well and we're very comfortable. Get you 2 of these and 3 mags and your set.

That Guy
03-28-2017, 10:26 AM
If I may offer a different perspective? My suggestion would be to, instead of hoarding a bunch of gear first, just go out there and shoot some matches. As far as I can tell the gear you have is fine. You are expected to carry two spare magazines (sometimes stages mandate two reloads, that ought to be pretty rare though), but you can just toss one into a pocket.

Once you get into the game you'll have much better idea what changes you may want to make to your kit. The important part is to get out there and shoot, worry about what's optimal later.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

Zincwarrior
03-28-2017, 10:58 AM
If I may offer a different perspective? My suggestion would be to, instead of hoarding a bunch of gear first, just go out there and shoot some matches. As far as I can tell the gear you have is fine. You are expected to carry two spare magazines (sometimes stages mandate two reloads, that ought to be pretty rare though), but you can just toss one into a pocket.

Once you get into the game you'll have much better idea what changes you may want to make to your kit. The important part is to get out there and shoot, worry about what's optimal later.

What Tony said. The only thing you need to make sure (couldn't quite tell) is that you will need to be able to carry two spare mags.

Holster sounds fine.
Tshirt is fine.
make sure you have two mag holders (so three mags in total).
Make sure you wear a shirt with a closed collar/Tshirt under that the outer shirt and a hat. You will need eyes and ears and comfy shoes. You will need to help tape at every stage and not stand around.

Forget all the comp stuff concerns right now. Look up the safety rules and practice drawing/dry fire shooting/ and safely showing clear and reholstering on command.

In essence:
You have what you need already. Just follow these two rules
1. Practice the safety rules.
2. Have FUN! People forget this one a whole lot.

GOTURBACK
03-28-2017, 10:58 AM
It looks like you have a holster that you are comfortable with, although I am not familiar with that particular holster as long as it covers the trigger completely and allows for one handed re-holstering ( reinforced mouth which stays open ) I would reccomend using it along with your choice of closed front cover garment, I had my local match director try to convince me to use an IDPA shooting (shoot me) vest for concealment but I prefer to use the same equipment as my edc. I have been using CCC basic mag carriers for training, IDPA, and daily carry they have served me well for years now. http://www.customcarryconcepts.com/Basic-Mag-Carrier_p_18.html

GuanoLoco
03-28-2017, 11:13 AM
I agree that you need to use as much of what you have and shoot some matches - truthfully it won't matter that much until you really learn the rules and learn how to train/practice.

Then decide - are you shooting as a way of proving out your EDC gear, or are you trying to win a shooting game with your buddies.

Lots of people come in with the former attitude 'practice for real life scenarios' and gradually shift into 'this is a shooting game' mode. The latter typically includes a bunch of minimally rule conforming 'go-fast' gear (vests, holsters, mag pouches, guns, loads) that they never use outside of matches. It typically doesn't include a focus on training, dry fire and live fire practice - the things that make the most difference.

BTDT

That Guy
03-28-2017, 11:45 AM
make sure you have two mag holders (so three mags in total).

Once upon a time, after arriving to the range and putting on my gear, I discovered that my brand new, just arrived speed loader pouches didn't actually have room to wrap around my belt and close up when the speed loaders were loaded with *live* ammunition, instead of the snap caps I had used at home for test fitting. Spent the whole match digging my reloads out of my trouser pocket, which didn't reduce the amount of fun I was having at all. Pouches for reloads are nice to have but in no way absolutely mandatory. :)

(Yes, the pocket reloads might have hurt my score a tad. But then again, I was shooting ammunition with twice the minimum power factor to begin with... :) )

Jim Watson
03-28-2017, 11:49 AM
If you want to exercise your carry rig, do so. No need to buy new gun and gear unless you move to the competitive side.

What you should do is to work on your gunhandling DRYFIRE.

Drawing a gun from under a T shirt calls for care and technique to keep from sweeping yourself.
Holstering a gun IWB calls for care and technique to keep from sweeping yourself or others.
All that can be practiced at home, empty gun, no match stress.

Zincwarrior
03-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Once upon a time, after arriving to the range and putting on my gear, I discovered that my brand new, just arrived speed loader pouches didn't actually have room to wrap around my belt and close up when the speed loaders were loaded with *live* ammunition, instead of the snap caps I had used at home for test fitting. Spent the whole match digging my reloads out of my trouser pocket, which didn't reduce the amount of fun I was having at all. Pouches for reloads are nice to have but in no way absolutely mandatory. :)

(Yes, the pocket reloads might have hurt my score a tad. But then again, I was shooting ammunition with twice the minimum power factor to begin with... :) )

It definitely will slow you down. I did similar at a club USPSA match.

rob_s
03-28-2017, 01:14 PM
If you have the gear to carry a gun and mags and conceal them let thwnidpa rules, go shoot the next available match.

If you don't, buy whatever you don't already have, and only what you don't already havw, and go shoot.

octagon
03-28-2017, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the replies gents. I probably should have clarified that I am a retired LEO who was a Firearms instructor and Rangemaster. I have carried concealed IWB for over 25 years at the 3 3:30 position and have a bunch of holsters to choose from already. I only have the OEM Glock belt magazine pouch which is pretty sticky/stiff to draw from so buying 2 better mag pouches is on the agenda before the first match. I have done a bunch of shooting schools (approx 15-20) and never had any issues or comments on safe gun handling. None of this is meant to brag or put me in anything but a new competitor status just explain I should be ok with safe gun handling practices. I expect I will need to be more aware of the IDPA rules as I don't have the cover,tactical engagement,reload location and type of things very engrained as I always practiced leaving a mag with a bullet or 2 on the ground not retaining them which I believe is a no no in IDPA. I am not looking to get the best competitive gear so much as use the gear I have already which is most practical and competitive while closely resembling my everyday carry gear. I thought about competing in the first match or 2 using my duty belt and mag pouches etc.. as that is what I am most practiced and skilled with but I feel it is not true to my retired status nor my daily carry profile.

Please feel free to check out my training journal in that section( Octagon's journey to meh) for my current practices,dryfire and such. I gladly appreciate feedback and suggestions on what to change or keep working on.

BN
03-28-2017, 02:41 PM
https://cpwsa.com/products/ready-tactical-pistol-mag-pouch

These are the ones I use. Easy on easy off and mags come out only when you want them to. :)

We have some folks drawing from under a T-shirt so I don't see a problem there.

Jim Watson
03-28-2017, 03:18 PM
I do too, but then I shoot with the maker. I still have some of his first design which was banned along with the bathwater containing the Safariland spring clamp.

BN
03-28-2017, 07:59 PM
I do too, but then I shoot with the maker. I still have some of his first design which was banned along with the bathwater containing the Safariland spring clamp.

I ran a strip of Duct Tape down the front of those and ran them in sanctioned matches as a protest. :) I still have some of them.

Jim Watson
03-29-2017, 12:08 AM
I ran a strip of Duct Tape down the front of those and ran them in sanctioned matches as a protest. :) I still have some of them.

Cardboard off an ammo box and a rubber band on mine.
He said it was ironic, that the wrap design is faster and less secure than the "claw" type that did not meet IDPA specs.

rob_s
03-29-2017, 05:34 AM

Cardboard off an ammo box and a rubber band on mine.
He said it was ironic, that the wrap design is faster and less secure than the "claw" type that did not meet IDPA specs.

Wait, I've been away from IDPA for quite some time. There's a version of the Ready Tactical pouches that's "illegal"? I've been using their pouches forever and probably have well over a dozen. If I was to go shoot a match today, those are the pouches I'd be using. Which ones are "illegal"?

To the OP,

re: banned gear, my local clubs would never stop a first-time shooter from using illegal equipment provide that it was safe. and met the spirit of the rules.

re: mag pouches, how did you get through 15-20 schools with only the stock Glock pouch(es)?

re: schools vs matches, performing safely at classes is generally a lot easier than at matches. The line is typically clearly defined, as is the drill. In a match the line moves with you, shooters can easily get themselves turned around, and you have to think on your feet and shoot at the same time. Which isn't to say that you're not capable of these things, but I think most experienced competition shooters don't give much weight to gun school certificates for those reasons, and I'd probably just keep that to myself in the future.

orionz06
03-29-2017, 06:45 AM
In addition to the Ready Tac I love the Kytex Shooting Gear (https://www.kytexgear.com/products-page/pistol-mag-carriers/) pouches for easy-on/off. For threaded the CCC BMC (http://www.customcarryconcepts.com/Basic-Mag-Carrier_p_18.html) is the way to go.

Jim Watson
03-29-2017, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=rob_s;583155]Wait, I've been away from IDPA for quite some time. There's a version of the Ready Tactical pouches that's "illegal"? I've been using their pouches forever and probably have well over a dozen. If I was to go shoot a match today, those are the pouches I'd be using. Which ones are "illegal"?

I do not have a picture of the "claw" type mag carrier.
If yours look like the ones for sale at CPWSA you are good anywhere.
https://cpwsa.com/products/ready-tactical-pistol-mag-pouch?rap=164766733&ras=raslrelated&rastype=onsite&utm_source=retailreco&utm_medium=onsite&utm_campaign=raslrelated

We hear a lot about carry vs competition gear. Chris was very proud that Condoleezza Rice's State Department Security bodyguards wore Ready Tac.

octagon
03-29-2017, 09:03 AM
To the OP,

re: banned gear, my local clubs would never stop a first-time shooter from using illegal equipment provide that it was safe. and met the spirit of the rules.

Good to know

re: mag pouches, how did you get through 15-20 schools with only the stock Glock pouch(es)?

I didn't have any other type of concealed mag pouches but most of the schools I went through I used my duty gear so I had dual mag Safariland mag pouch on a Sam Brown belt and used level 2 security holster all open carry style like I was on duty.

re: schools vs matches, performing safely at classes is generally a lot easier than at matches. The line is typically clearly defined, as is the drill. In a match the line moves with you, shooters can easily get themselves turned around, and you have to think on your feet and shoot at the same time. Which isn't to say that you're not capable of these things, but I think most experienced competition shooters don't give much weight to gun school certificates for those reasons, and I'd probably just keep that to myself in the future.

Fair point. Like I said I wasn't try to brag just clarify that I have practiced good/safe gun handling for 25+ years including schools and fired multiple target,multiple position movement and varied shooting position courses with time limits just not as carefully ruled as IDPA nor with fastest time being so critical to score rather than performing under a specified time limit. I didn't want the replies to get bogged down with advice for someone who only has had a concealed carry course or less getting started in IDPA.

No harm no foul I appreciate the advice.

Zincwarrior
03-29-2017, 09:34 AM
Do you still have your duty gear? That is perfectly and specifically legal in IDPA if you wanted to wear that.

cclaxton
03-29-2017, 09:59 AM
I am looking to get into IDPA and had a few questions about gear. I normally wear a Whitehat hybrid holster (similar to Crossbreed) worn at 3-3:30 position and carry a Glock 23. I iften don't carry a spare magazine since leaving a major metropolitan and high crime area for rural farm country. When I did carry a spare mag I used the factory Glock mag pouch which held the mag very securely and close to the body(OWB) but is pretty slow to draw the mag because it has so much drag and rides pretty high on the magazine. I also have an all kydex MTAC IWB tuckable holster that I used for awhile but it wore my clothing until there was a hole so I don't use it anymore for regular carry. I also carry with T shirt/polo closed front cover garment. Is this an issue for IDPA?

I plan to use a Glock 19 with Ameriglow CAP or Spaulding sights as I like the Trijicon HD sights I have on my 23 and 9mm ammo is cheaper as I run down my 40 supply. I plan on using the Whitehat holster unless there is a significant issue as I prefer to stay close to what I carry daily. What I don't have a clue about is what mag carriers to use that would be decent for IDPA and maybe USPSA later but that also may work OK for concealed carry without printing. Does anyone use IWB mag carrier in IDPA? If so what and how do you like it?

Is it better to change to OWB belt holster like an Unkle Mikes kydex holster I have instead of the hybrid or all kydex IWB holsters I also have?

As the gear suggests I am not looking to be super competitive nor would I be as a novice but I do want to get gear that I can and may likely use daily and not be super slow and cumbersome in IDPA use too.
The T-Shirt/Polo cover garment is fine. The only requirement is that you can't see the gun/mags when holding your arms out. Do make sure when you pull up your concealment that you don't get your support hand close to the muzzle. Also make sure you can holster the gun without assistance from your support hand. But no local club is going to prohibit you from shooting for the first couple times if you don't have the right kind of concealment or equipment as long as it is safe. However, make sure the holster is a strong side holster (IWB/OWB) which holds the gun so that the trigger is centered or behind a plumb line from your armpit. For a cheap double mag pouch look at the blackhawk series: https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Double-Stack-Mag-Case/dp/B004T0YSBO.

Most people use OWB holsters. However, lately I have been running a Comp-Tac IWB Kydex that is just as fast as the OWB version IMO. http://www.comp-tac.com/inside-the-waistband/ctac-holster-10217?page=2

I don't have any experience with IWB mag carriers, but I never see them used.
Enjoy and be safe our there.
Cody

octagon
03-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Do you still have your duty gear? That is perfectly and specifically legal in IDPA if you wanted to wear that.

I do still have it but as I stated above it isn't my way to carry anymore since I retired and I kind of feel it is cheating myself and others since I always carry concealed in plain clothes now.

FNFAN
03-29-2017, 11:41 AM
I do still have it but as I stated above it isn't my way to carry anymore since I retired and I kind of feel it is cheating myself and others since I always carry concealed in plain clothes now.

I wouldn't see it as cheating at all. The first match or two is all about learning the flow of things, calls from safety officers, procedures etc. Give yourself a chance to look around at what gear the other kids are playing with. Your iwb would likely be fine also if you can reholster single handed. As others have said, be careful about sweeping your hand as you pull up the cover garment. I've seen that a lot with iwb users. Welcome to IDPA! It's a fun game!

Zincwarrior
03-29-2017, 12:09 PM

You could use the mag holders if your existing one is not up to your standard, else don't worry about it and you're good to go.

Just remember, all real men know there are no nonthreats in IDPA, just threats that haven't revealed themselves!

octagon
03-29-2017, 12:28 PM
It will be a learning curve for sure. I take to the logical rules quickly and easily as I have autocrossed and done club racing in SCCA in several classes. It is the odd or somewhat less obviously logical rules that I have struggled getting down with during the adjustment. I get that most are present for safety or fairness for all competitors but when trying to work a problem and the rules seem somewhat counter to it then it is easier to screw up. AN example is dropping and not retrieving a mag that has 1 or 2 unspent rounds in it. I get that a defensive shooting may require every round available but looking at it logically that is an extremely unlikely circumstance and slows continued engagement of threats(targets). This combined with 10 round limit for guns and locales that legally allow full capacity is a bit foreign to my thinking. I get the fair and equal rules but for practicing defensive shooting competition it seems a little odd. No group or rule set is ever going to be perfect for fairness and realism so I will adapt.

The IWB hybrid holsters I have allow for easy one hand reholstering so that should be good. I have always exagerated my cover garment clearing during the draw coming almost to my chin. It isn't pretty or fast/efficient but is pretty solid and safe. I do expect to alter that some as I learn and progress. I only recently started to add in a timer for training/practice and video will come so I know I will have plenty of things to change for better efficiency but that for me is the fun of competition. I don't ever expect to be the fastest just the best I can be with my regular or very close to regular equipment.

BN
03-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Wait, I've been away from IDPA for quite some time. There's a version of the Ready Tactical pouches that's "illegal"? I've been using their pouches forever and probably have well over a dozen. If I was to go shoot a match today, those are the pouches I'd be using. Which ones are "illegal"?

From left to right: Illegal, modified with duct tape so now legal and legal.

GuanoLoco
03-29-2017, 02:28 PM
I haven't read the entire thread, but let's reserve the jokes for the joke thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21514-Jokes-The-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly).

Read most recent post on legal/illegal mags ... struggling ... struggling ...

Peally
03-29-2017, 02:41 PM
IDPA is defensive "themed", not defensive practice or training. The rules are extremely unrealistic and often illogical, just go out and see how you do from a fundamentals perspective ;)

DAB
03-29-2017, 02:51 PM
i shoot IDPA every month (normally 2 matches) and derive several benefits from it: fun day shooting with shooters that have become friends, increase my confidence in my and my gun's abilities, and improve my proficiency. be safe, have fun, be accurate.

BN
03-29-2017, 02:55 PM
Read most recent post on legal/illegal mags ... struggling ... struggling ...

It certainly wasn't meant to be a joke. :( Sorry.

People wanted info on IDPA equipment and I honestly provided it.

GuanoLoco
03-29-2017, 03:48 PM
It certainly wasn't meant to be a joke. :( Sorry.

People wanted info on IDPA equipment and I honestly provided it.

I meant *I* was struggling not to make a joke. You were being factual.

BN
03-29-2017, 05:02 PM
I meant *I* was struggling not to make a joke. You were being factual.

I think the rule that outlawed the old Ready Tactical mag pouch is the joke. ;)

Sorry, Tom. :)

LSW
03-29-2017, 06:35 PM
I just got an IWB mag pouch and might consider using it for idpa. It's a comp-tac http://www.comp-tac.com/magazine-pouches/magazine-concealment-pouch-10628

I've had it for awhile, but it took a LONG time to break it to a functional level. It's for an M&P, I had to keep an H&K magazine (they're large in dimensions) in it for a few months to get it to the point where I could draw the magazine without also drawing the pouch off the belt. I also worked the HK mag in and out a dozen times a night for a few months when I could remember to. I really wouldn't recommend it, but if it's currently the only thing I have for IWB mag pouch carry.

You won't see many (if any) use an IWB pouch in IDPA for the same reasons IWB holsters are pretty rare too.....they're just slower. It's going to take a little more time to find the mag, and it's going to be a little more difficult to get a good grip on it.

Honestly, most OWB magazine pouches don't print THAT much as long as you use dress around it. If you're a size L, you need to wear an XL shirt, etc. Also, I find certain brands of shirts are wide at the waists, like Old Navy polo's whereas others are way too tight. There is no arguing that the IWB mag pouch does print less than OWB while still being significantly faster and more reliable than pocket magazine carry though.

I go back and forth on IDPA philosophy. I personally want to play it with my Street carry gear, which is a comp-tac IWB holster and OWB mag pouches under an untucked polo, but my friends encourage me to wear the fishing vest and go OWB. Either one works. I compete to win, but practicing with real world gear seems like it's in line with the intent of IDPA more than a fishing vest.

cclaxton
03-29-2017, 07:18 PM
I just got an IWB mag pouch and might consider using it for idpa. It's a comp-tac http://www.comp-tac.com/magazine-pouches/magazine-concealment-pouch-10628

I've had it for awhile, but it took a LONG time to break it to a functional level. It's for an M&P, I had to keep an H&K magazine (they're large in dimensions) in it for a few months to get it to the point where I could draw the magazine without also drawing the pouch off the belt. I also worked the HK mag in and out a dozen times a night for a few months when I could remember to. I really wouldn't recommend it, but if it's currently the only thing I have for IWB mag pouch carry.

You won't see many (if any) use an IWB pouch in IDPA for the same reasons IWB holsters are pretty rare too.....they're just slower. It's going to take a little more time to find the mag, and it's going to be a little more difficult to get a good grip on it.

Honestly, most OWB magazine pouches don't print THAT much as long as you use dress around it. If you're a size L, you need to wear an XL shirt, etc. Also, I find certain brands of shirts are wide at the waists, like Old Navy polo's whereas others are way too tight. There is no arguing that the IWB mag pouch does print less than OWB while still being significantly faster and more reliable than pocket magazine carry though.

I go back and forth on IDPA philosophy. I personally want to play it with my Street carry gear, which is a comp-tac IWB holster and OWB mag pouches under an untucked polo, but my friends encourage me to wear the fishing vest and go OWB. Either one works. I compete to win, but practicing with real world gear seems like it's in line with the intent of IDPA more than a fishing vest.
Through practice and great designed holster I have found my draw times are the same as OWB holster using the M-TAC holster, and a CZ-75 Compact.

LTC77406
04-26-2017, 05:23 PM
I'm a little late to the party here but great thread. I'm another that would like to start out using my EDC. As for cover, I get the part about not being able to see any equipment with outstretched arms. But, am I understanding that if I wear a t-shirt, I'm not allowed to use my weak hand to re-holster? Also, there is no mention here of aiwb so I'm guessing this is a no no. All of my holsters are JMCK so I should be good to go there as well as kydex or other polymer retention mag pouches. I really don't want to wear the goofy (to me) vest!

Luke
04-26-2017, 05:29 PM
Glad to see you want to use your everyday carry gear in competition! Unfortunately AIWB is not allowed because too many people actually carry like that. As to the vest, I thought you wanted to use your everyday carry gear? You don't have to buy the weighted version from bill Wilson, you can use the same vest you wear everyday.

LTC77406
04-26-2017, 05:33 PM
Glad to see you want to use your everyday carry gear in competition! Unfortunately AIWB is not allowed because too many people actually carry like that. As to the vest, I thought you wanted to use your everyday carry gear? You don't have to buy the weighted version from bill Wilson, you can use the same vest you wear everyday.

I'm guessing this goes in the joke or sarcasm thread?

Luke
04-26-2017, 05:38 PM
I'm guessing this goes in the joke or sarcasm thread?

It did contain accurate info. From what I've gathered my club doesn't like to see people use just a short but they let people. AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE IS NOTHING IN THE RULES SAYING YOU CSNT AD LONG AD IT MEETS THE CRITERIA (just now realized caps was on sorry) of concealed. No AIWB draws. I think the using support hand for rejolstering is talking about like snap straps across the top of a funky nylon holster.

Your legit CC gear will be fine minus AIWB.

cclaxton
04-26-2017, 05:58 PM
I'm a little late to the party here but great thread. I'm another that would like to start out using my EDC. As for cover, I get the part about not being able to see any equipment with outstretched arms. But, am I understanding that if I wear a t-shirt, I'm not allowed to use my weak hand to re-holster? Also, there is no mention here of aiwb so I'm guessing this is a no no. All of my holsters are JMCK so I should be good to go there as well as kydex or other polymer retention mag pouches. I really don't want to wear the goofy (to me) vest!

Regarding support hand holstering and unholstering: You can and should use your support hand to pull up your shirt, but you cannot be putting your support hand on the holster to draw or holster the gun. The holster needs to be sturdy, good belt, and while holding your shirt up be able to holster or reholster without the support hand assisting. Concealment means just that. I know some people who use a button up untucked overshirt, others who use a light jacket, etc. This is a really good video that reviews all the ways to draw from the strong side: Open front, two hand polo shirt, and single hand polo shirt.

Regarding AIWB: We have plenty of members who carry AIWB but compete in IDPA using a good strong side holster. We don't allow it for safety reasons with less experienced shooters. Remember IDPA allows people of all skill levels. You only draw once for a stage, and you will always remember where your gun is at. 95% of what you do in IDPA is shooting under pressure of time, using cover, and using target priority in a variety of different shooting positions, while moving, with moving targets, around obstacles, etc.

https://youtu.be/jVOs9KWyqig

cclaxton
04-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Glad to see you want to use your everyday carry gear in competition! Unfortunately AIWB is not allowed because too many people actually carry like that. As to the vest, I thought you wanted to use your everyday carry gear? You don't have to buy the weighted version from bill Wilson, you can use the same vest you wear everyday. So if Larry Vickers is no longer allowing AIWB for his training sessions, doesn't that tell you he has safety concerns about it with less experienced shooters?
Cody

Luke
04-26-2017, 06:09 PM
So if Larry Vickers is no longer allowing AIWB for his training sessions, doesn't that tell you he has safety concerns about it with less experienced shooters?
Cody

I do love a good idpa debate, I feel it would be in good form to start a new thread about it though.

cclaxton
04-26-2017, 06:24 PM
I do love a good idpa debate, I feel it would be in good form to start a new thread about it though.
AIWB versus strong side draw and AIWB in competition has been thoroughly debated in the threads of this forum. I would even say it has been completely over-discussed, and over-debated, and over-done. Most people are burnt out on that debate. Please check out the threads on AIWB.
Cody

orionz06
04-26-2017, 09:23 PM
AIWB versus strong side draw and AIWB in competition has been thoroughly debated in the threads of this forum. I would even say it has been completely over-discussed, and over-debated, and over-done. Most people are burnt out on that debate. Please check out the threads on AIWB.
Cody

Correct. If you wish to compete with your carry gear (read "D") you need to compete in USPSA, the gamier game. If you wish to wear competition equipment like a vest you play the game that pretends to be anything but a game.

cclaxton
04-26-2017, 10:03 PM
Correct. If you wish to compete with your carry gear (read "D") you need to compete in USPSA, the gamier game. If you wish to wear competition equipment like a vest you play the game that pretends to be anything but a game.
Just stop it. We have been through this before. You are setting up a strawman so you can attack me or IDPA. Try to treat this forum and the people in it like Todd Green would want you to. Here is a quote from Todd: "I would be still competing in IDPA if they allowed AIWB."
Cody

orionz06
04-26-2017, 10:12 PM
Just stop it. We have been through this before. You are setting up a strawman so you can attack me or IDPA. Try to treat this forum and the people in it like Todd Green would want you to. Here is a quote from Todd: "I would be still competing in IDPA if they allowed AIWB."
Cody

I'm not setting anything up.

Fact: AIWB is a rather prominent, even for a small segment, of the shooting world.
Fact: Folks are carrying guns this way
Fact: IDPA has the word "defensive" in it...
Fact: You can't carry AIWB in IDPA
Fact: You can in USPSA
Fact: USPSA is not a defensive organization in name
Fact: Vests are competition equipment.
Fact: A magazine pouch forward of the hip is a viable way to carry a spare mag and not only that, it's a position that makes it easier for many to conceal said magazine.
Fact: One cannot carry forward of the hip, OWB, in IDPA.
Fact: It is a viable way to carry OWB, just slightly forward of the IDPA legal limit.

Assumption: Far more P-F members would participate if they were allowed to use the gear they carry on a daily basis with.

Statement: I find that a little ironic.

Where is the attack on you? Those are facts. That's it.

Mitch
04-26-2017, 10:18 PM
So if Larry Vickers is no longer allowing AIWB for his training sessions, doesn't that tell you he has safety concerns about it with less experienced shooters?
Cody

I can't speak for Larry, but that may have been a business decision based on class sizes and number of AIs more than anything else. It's also a little different for an instructor with a class of even 14 vs a safety officer with one competitor to keep an eye on at a time.

Orionz assumption is true for me. I would shoot IDPA if I could do it from AIWB. But I can't so I won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LTC77406
04-26-2017, 10:48 PM
I'm confused.........but in a good way. Just need some more research. Thanks to all who have chimed in on my raising this thread from the dead.

cclaxton
04-27-2017, 09:03 AM
I can't speak for Larry, but that may have been a business decision based on class sizes and number of AIs more than anything else. It's also a little different for an instructor with a class of even 14 vs a safety officer with one competitor to keep an eye on at a time.

Orionz assumption is true for me. I would shoot IDPA if I could do it from AIWB. But I can't so I won't.

The more you shoot in competition the better you will be in gun handling, movement and engagement. Concealment and drawing is a deep and wide subject. The importance of AIWB exaggerated by some in this forum, when shooting and use of cover and shoot/no-shoot practice is 50 times more important. You only draw once in a stage or a self-defense incident. Master shooters understand the value of shooting IDPA and USPSA, and most shoot both. I run the NRA IDPA matches and we have at least 6 regular expert and master level shooters who shoot my IDPA matches regularly and the AIWB normally. If you are just getting started, use a good strong side holster and shoot both sports. When you have mastered the safety protocols, and have made it to SS in IDPA or C-class in USPSA, then consider AIWB. Also, AIWB is not for everybody. I find AIWB uncomfortable and I don't want the attacker to see me draw. This is really personal preference.

Don't delay. Get a string side kydex and start shooting matches.
Cody

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Peally
04-27-2017, 09:17 AM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n254/Peally/popcorn.gif

That Guy
04-27-2017, 09:34 AM
I don't want the attacker to see me draw.

...Wut?

Look mate, I like IDPA as well. I find this constant pissing and moaning about the sport from a bunch of people who don't even shoot the sport tiresome, as I imagine you do too. And I don't do that AIWB thing either. So we're on the same side here, as it were. But arguments like that don't exactly help anything.

Why not simply point out that a) IDPA is for new shooters, as well, and b) the whole "if you fuck up, you die" thing with AIWB and leave it at that? People can agree with that, or disagree, but what more is there to say at that point?

rob_s
04-27-2017, 09:44 AM
we're not actually turning this thread into yet another bash-IDPA thing, are we?

cody, FWIW, you tend to do more harm than good to the image of IDPA here. You'd be much better off just letting it go.

Mitch
04-27-2017, 09:58 AM
Cody, you realize I said almost the exact same thing as the quote you attributed to Todd, right? Then you made at least 3 or 4 assumptions about me to run through your IDPA sales pitch. I'm trying to be respectful in a thread that's honestly kind of a joke now, but I think I can see why people troll you on here.

orionz06
04-27-2017, 10:01 AM
we're not actually turning this thread into yet another bash-IDPA thing, are we?

Stating the rules isn't bashing, is it?

orionz06
04-27-2017, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=cclaxton;595601 I find AIWB uncomfortable and I don't want the attacker to see me draw. This is really personal preference.

[/QUOTE]

Separated this...

Can you elaborate? How are you envisioning the draw occurring and how does someone seeing it matter? More so, how do you move your strong hand more and accomplish what I'm assuming is a stealthy draw? Is there something missing?

rob_s
04-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Stating the rules isn't bashing, is it?

looks like you've been taking posting lessons from the_katar...