PDA

View Full Version : Sneaker question: ADIDAS Samba vs Converse Allstar

ASH556
03-26-2017, 01:03 PM
Looking for a black, Lowtop skater-ish shoe for casual wear. I've had Chucks in the past and also the ADIDAS Superstar (shell toe) but never Sambas. They were poular when I was in High School (late 90's). I've also had Vans, Airwalks, and need to retire my current DC's.

orionz06
03-26-2017, 01:19 PM
The Samba is a solid, classic shoe. Fits what you're looking for.

ffchewy17
03-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Check out the Vans Low Pro in black/black. Super simple shoe and much more comfortable without socks.

Lex Luthier
03-26-2017, 02:20 PM
I will add that Sambas are also popular among the casual road bike crowd- they have enough stiffness and support to work with old-style toe-clip type road bike pedals, but don't look or walk like a bike shoe.

txdpd
03-26-2017, 04:01 PM
I bought a pair of Sambas for $45 yesterday at Academy. All Stars were $55. Personally I think Chucks are overpriced, but if you want to be a true hipster or hipster powerlifter, Chucks are the way to go. The Sambas will last twice as long as a pair of Chucks.

Isaac
03-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Agree on the overpriced Chucks. Tho you can get em cheap at TJ Max, Marshalls, etc. Once saw a doc about how they were made, they should cost 35$ max.

OlongJohnson
03-26-2017, 05:46 PM
I've had a pair of Sambas with heel-only cushion inserts for ~12 years. Every time I go shopping for new ones, the death of quality makes me sad. Wish I'd bought all the things back when I got these.

jc000
03-26-2017, 07:12 PM
Sambas are way more durable than Chuck's or Vans. Vans are particularly bad.

Default.mp3
03-26-2017, 07:32 PM
The new Chuck Taylor IIs have much better build quality and overall durability, compared to the original ones. They also come with much better padding; the Lunarlon insoles are pretty decent for OEM sneaks. I originally migrated from the Chuck Taylors to a pair of PF Flyers Bob Cousy, due to better build quality, but the Chuck Taylor IIs have been an excellent replacement for my worn out Bob Cousy.

JAD
03-26-2017, 07:59 PM
I have always had an issue with vans and chucks being narrow in the toe box, and They don't seem to open up much. Is there a better alternative with a similar appearance?

Luke
03-26-2017, 08:05 PM
VANS.

Just got a new pair to replace my solomans and they are water proof.

Poconnor
03-27-2017, 01:09 PM
I need a pair of van/ chuck type sneakers for wide feet. Suggestions?

LittleLebowski
03-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Mr_White

Mr_White
03-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Mr_White

Wow, funny, the new system works! It was like the bat signal, but three stripes instead.

Random opinions:

I don't think the Chucks hold a candle to the Adidas.

My favorite Adidas right now are the Spezials, which I think aren't around anymore, and the Busenitz, which I thought was gone, but then I saw some at the mall the other day so maybe they are still around after all. The Busenitz looks great and is nice and padded. They aren't overly large but it feels like wearing pillows or couches or something on my feet. Very comfortable. The Samoas are super comfy too. But there are so many great classic-style Adidas, I don't know how you could go wrong.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7475/28019917545_0b98eba185_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/JG2phD)20160630_190348 (https://flic.kr/p/JG2phD) by OrigamiAK (https://www.flickr.com/photos/52790396@N08/), on Flickr

ASH556
03-27-2017, 02:15 PM
I see those Pumas you have snuck in there.

Mr_White
03-27-2017, 02:19 PM
I see those Pumas you have snuck in there.

All my shoes are harmonious

ASH556
03-27-2017, 02:24 PM
All my shoes are harmonious

I see. Unless you let a Puma get next to your Gazelles.

OMG, lol, shoe puns.

But seriously, what can I do to take 1/2 second off my draw before this weekend?

Mr_White
03-27-2017, 02:27 PM
I see. Unless you let a Puma get next to your Gazelles.

OMG, lol, shoe puns.

But seriously, what can I do to take 1/2 second off my draw before this weekend?

That's easy, just draw faster

Mr_White
03-27-2017, 02:30 PM
Ok now for serious

I haven't seen your draw - got any video?

Suggestions/guesses: work on getting master grip as fast as you can move, keep the draw progressing at that same place, and at the end focus on stopping the gun smoothly and finding the sights ASAP.

ASH556
03-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Ok now for serious

I haven't seen your draw - got any video?

Suggestions/guesses: work on getting master grip as fast as you can move, keep the draw progressing at that same place, and at the end focus on stopping the gun smoothly and finding the sights ASAP.

Excellent, thanks. I was asking sort of tongue in cheek. If I don't have it by now, 4 days out is too late to worry about it. The part about finding the sights ASAP is what I've found to make the most difference for me. See you soon.

BobLoblaw
03-27-2017, 02:58 PM
I vote Samba. Only skaters and fuckin posers wear skater shoes. ;)

RevolverRob
03-27-2017, 02:59 PM
I have two pairs of Sambas and one pair of Chucks (all of them black and white, yo). The Sambas are definitely more comfortable and more robust, but they aren't exactly the most comfortable shoes on the planet...and no matter what I do, excepting a judicious application of baby powder, I can't stop the damn Sambas from squeaking. You may check out the Chuck IIs which I had a chance to try on and check out my last time in Footlocker. Way more comfortable than original Chucks (they actually HAVE arch and heel support) and frankly are only marginally more expensive than standard Chucks.

But all this said, I recently got back on the Nike bandwagon. For years, I've worn Adidas sneaks for fashion and workouts. As I destroyed my last pair of Adizeros, I decided to try something different for a cross training shoe (the Adizeros really weren't cutting it for me). I ended up with a pair of Nike Flex Fury 2s which are much better gym shoes than my last pair of Adizeros. In the process of buying those, I was loose in Footlocker with my credit card out, so I started shopping...and I ended up with a pair of Nike Hypershift Isaiah Thomas Player Editions. WAY more comfortable and stylish than my Sambas (you don't see this shoe on every Hipster's foot, that's for sure...and yes I know that makes me more of a hipster). Suddenly, I was hooked back in and I'm finding myself casually perusing Nike's SNKRS launch calendar for limited edition kicks to fill my (non-existent) shoe needs. My wife is not happy.

-Rob

Mr_White
03-27-2017, 03:05 PM
I vote Samba. Only skaters and fuckin posers wear skater shoes. ;)

What about ex-skaters?

BobLoblaw
03-27-2017, 03:06 PM
What about ex-skaters?

Your application has been approved

blues
03-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Funny how this stuff can be the stuff of hipsters nowadays. When we were kids the big (and only) decision was Chuck Taylor "Cons" in black or white...Keds, or PF Flyers with the magic wedge, don't ya know? (Run faster, jump higher!!!)

I think it was 1973 or 1974 before I purchased my first Adidas and Puma running and basketball shoes, (at Paragon, 18th St. NYC), and that was pretty much it for Cons, Keds and PF Flyers in my world.

ASH556
03-27-2017, 03:21 PM
I should have probably said this from the get-go, but I'm a drummer and while I can play in any footwear, there are certainly shoes that make things easier. For me that has always been "skater" style shoes. Style points are just for extra. Sambas are what I'll get this go 'round and see how they work.

rob_s
03-27-2017, 03:52 PM
which I thought was gone, but then I saw some at the mall the other day

Safe to assume you were there looking for a gunfight in the food court?

Can't imagine why anyone would otherwise voluntarily go to the mall...

Mr_White
03-27-2017, 04:05 PM
Safe to assume you were there looking for a gunfight in the food court?

Can't imagine why anyone would otherwise voluntarily go to the mall...

The mall is where they sell the nicest Adidas

Nephrology
03-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Sambas are the best sneaker ever made. I've been wearing them for 15 years now and have no reason to ever buy anything different. I have found they have a lifespan of exactly 18 months, 12 if I am unkind to them.

Chucks are way uncomfortable and feel like they should cost $6. Flat, thick rubber sole with no arch support and canvas ??? Why? it's not 1935...the Great Depression is over, guys.