PDA

View Full Version : Competition vs. SD Draw

rdtompki
03-23-2017, 08:34 AM
I've recently concluded that my presentation to first target in competition (9mm 1911 from surrender) is much more accurate and quicker if I a)use a softer, quicker hand to extract the gun from the holster and b)engage my support hand later during the draw, at the start of the pressout. I had been driving my strong hand into the gun which gave me a secure grip, but being very right side dominant almost too tight of a grip with my trigger finger hand. I've also been working on getting my support hand higher into the grip which seems to really help during rapid fire.

My SD gun is an HK P2000 worn IWB so I don't have the luxury of the gun 1.5" outside my belt. I've got to grab it fairly aggressively and engage my support hand as soon as I've rotated the gun which is the earliest point at which I might have to engage an adversary. The gun is accurate although I wouldn't expect to need the same level of accuracy as in competition (you can never be too accurate, however). I'm also dealing with a considerably lighter gun, one loaded with SD ammo versus the very light loads in the 1911.

It's not difficult to manage the two different mechanics, but I'm wondering if others are finding similar differences in mechanics between competition and SD.

Jason M
03-23-2017, 09:00 AM
I've not shot a ton of competition but one of the primary differences is that in an SD draw, it is just as likely as not that your support hand may be doing something else other than supporting the pistol. Just thinking context vs mechanics here. For mechanics, I grab the gun with the same grip strength regardless. The grip is formed with the same motion and hand placement.

Peally
03-23-2017, 09:04 AM
My draws are all pretty much the same regardless of how I'm wearing the gun.

GJM
03-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Guess it depends on what type of competition, but in USPSA you don't get a mulligan if you blow your draw. Seems similar to defense in that regard.

rdtompki
03-23-2017, 11:13 AM
Guess it depends on what type of competition, but in USPSA you don't get a mulligan if you blow your draw. Seems similar to defense in that regard.
Agree, but in steel challenge draw time is much more significant than in USPSA. OTOH, you get one mulligan (in SC) per stage but you don't want to squander that on a bad draw. In SD you don't get a mulligan.

Sal Picante
03-23-2017, 11:21 AM
I've recently concluded that my presentation to first target in competition (9mm 1911 from surrender) is much more accurate and quicker if I a)use a softer, quicker hand to extract the gun from the holster and b)engage my support hand later during the draw, at the start of the pressout.

What is the time difference? What is your overall time on, say a 7 yard target?

rdtompki
03-23-2017, 02:12 PM
What is the time difference? What is your overall time on, say a 7 yard target?
"A" zone with the HK is about 2 seconds IWB with cover garment although I know I can get that down. 1911 is 1.5 seconds from surrender. I suppose the 1911 would be .2 or so less with my hands down, but I never draw OWB that way. A good goal for me would be a 1.5 second draw to a 10" plate at 18 yards with the 1911; that's the most difficult target to engage.

I'm headed to the range in about 30 minutes with both guns. Might do some more timing just for fun. I'm sure I can get the HK draw down to 1.5 seconds with more practice, but the key is achieving a fast, reliable draw regardless of what I'm wearing.

The biggest difference in my mind is with the HK I'm going to double or triple tap, obviously putting all 2-3 on the torso. Drawing the 1911 I've got to hit the target on the first shot; the time lost on any sort of makeup shot far outweighs the .1 sec or so it might take to ensure a clean hit.

nwhpfan
03-23-2017, 03:29 PM
I don't have a different draw.

DF is the place to get your draw time down IMO.

Draw is a heavy "gun handling" tasks. Fastly clearing the garment out of the way and getting the pistol out. For most it's just being able to consistently hit the hand placement. The more draws you do (in DF) the circuits get wired.