PDA

View Full Version : SLS usage

SLG
03-20-2017, 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPRlsXZ_Spw

I put this in gun handling because I think it belongs.

Other than just being a good drill and video, watch how EL rolls the hood of his SLS as soon as the gun is holstered. If you are using an SLS, this is really the only way to do it. As soon as the gun is in, you roll your fingers up front, under the hood, and roll it up into place. No pause, nothing in between, or you will forget.

Too many people (like almost everyone I randomly run into) don't do this and they forget to roll the hood. Critical.

Just like decocking a TDA, safing a 1911 or M4, there is a right way and a lot of wrong ways. Though there are often several good ways to do something, I have not seen any other way to roll the hood that is actually effective.

Some people poo-poo the SLS these days, and it has some legit drawbacks, but it is a great holster once you really understand how to draw from it and how to re-holster it. Most never learned correctly.

TheNewbie
03-20-2017, 07:00 PM
The SLS/ALS is the best holster out there. I wouldn't want to use just an SLS for general patrol work, but the holster is I can see using an SLS when you cannot get the ALS combo. Like anything you need proper training and practice, but I think the SLS or ALS can be learned quickly.

Not rotating the hood back into the upright position after holstering can be a serious issue, and EL demonstrates a smooth way of doing that .

MD7305
03-20-2017, 07:23 PM
When I transitioned from a SSIII 070 to a 6360 I practiced that into my standard return to holster procedure. After considerable dry and live practice from the holster I don't have to think about it, much quicker than the two-snaps on the 070. It's a pet peeve of mine to see an "open" hood, like an OCD thing, I just want to close it! I think some folks leave them open, like a gamer cheat but it seems that would only be cheating yourself.

I've ran across folks who advised they were trained to open the hood while in their vehicle to facilitate a quicker, easier draw while seated, belted in, etc. I personally feel that would mess me up, easier to practice with it always engaged and keep it consistent. That and I'd get out of the car and forget to re-engage the hood.

Le Français
03-20-2017, 07:31 PM
I've ran across folks who advised they were trained to open the hood while in their vehicle to facilitate a quicker, easier draw while seated, belted in, etc. I personally feel that would mess me up, easier to practice with it always engaged and keep it consistent. That and I'd get out of the car and forget to re-engage the hood.

Additionally, you'd be more likely to lose the gun in a crash.

Flea
03-21-2017, 12:28 AM
I think some folks leave them open, like a gamer cheat but it seems that would only be cheating yourself.

Actually, I just had this logic explained to me by a gentleman at work. See what you do is run an SLS/ALS combo. Then you leave the SLS hood down so you get the speed of the ALS without the hassle of the hood. Here is the clever part, you still have the hood so if your in a fight you can roll that bad boy up and voila... Secured firearm.

Somewhere between fighting the pain of brain aneurysm he had just given me and trying to figure out how long of a suspension you get for slapping a higher ranking officer Gibbs style, I think he realized our conversation was over. He just walked away.

I understand your pain MD every time i see a hood down I just want to walk over and roll it up. Drives me bonkers.

TheNewbie
03-21-2017, 06:27 AM
I was issued an SLS for my issued XDM (yeahhhhhhh). It had no hood guard and the hood sound get caught all the time on things and rotated down. It was annoying and dangerous.

With the Hood guard and ALS , I don't have to worry about it now.

Artemas2
03-21-2017, 06:31 AM
I love the SLS/ALS holster, but they really should come with video instructions via Gomez or EL. Saw an officer from a neighboring department unlock his hood by palm striking it forward and then having to come back to grip the gun. Also seen many Troopers with the hood down on traffic stops.

Poconnor
03-21-2017, 07:31 AM
I was issued an SLS. I never liked it. ( I wanted a straight can't) Then we switched to the als/sls. I liked that one much better. My dept had many officers that refused to learn the proper way to draw with the hood. I used to get so pissed off watching people do the two step draw- rotate the hood with their hand and then grip the gun , super slow, like old people fucking. I would go home and go straight for the bourbon to relax. I learned early on the importance of gripping the pistol as part of the draw. Locking your wrist - establishes your sight picture, weapon retention and draw / presentation speed. Anybody else get frustrated by the speed reholsters? I

karmapolice
03-21-2017, 07:35 AM
I ran a 6360 at the inception of my LE career and it to me it is the standard for a uniformed Duty holster for sure. There is a lot of mixed instruction from people when it comes to it, and some still believe in dropping the hood prior to things (mostly older guys).

There is no difference in speed if you know how to probably run the holster as its made to be run, it would drive me crazy when guys would tell people that. The main instructors and firearms dudes all knew better and taught the proper way but some adjunct and or non instructors would preach the dropped hood.

I don't run one anymore but I'm not in uniform and if I needed retention at this point I would rock an ALS only.I would end up with a 6354DO most likely, just because the ALS system in it is slightly different and its a solid holster plus being wrapped in coruda for different colors.

Rex G
03-21-2017, 05:06 PM
I have noticed, with 6360 holsters, that the effort required to operate the SLS portion differs quite a bit, depending upon the pistol model. When drawing my 1911, the SLS release requires a very focused effort with the tip of my thumb, whereas the same operation with the Glock versions is accomplished with a quick sweep of the thumb. Operating both the ALS and SLS release mechanisms with Glocks seems reasonably natural and quick, whereas operating the ALS and SLS with the 1911 holster seemed ponderously slow.

So, go ahead and hate me, but when carrying my 1911, from October 2016 until earlier this month, I kept the ALS part rotated down, using only the SLS for retention. Moot point now, I reckon, as I recently returned to using the Glock rig, with a G19, when my default patrol vehicle became a Ford Explorer-based Police Interceptor, due to serious crash/mechanical attrition of our Tahoes. (A large duty pistol makes it noticeably more difficult to quickly/smoothly exit from the smaller patrol vehicle, especially when riding shotgun.)

I typed the above, thinking that the ALS is the large rotating part, and the SLS is the inboard lever part. If I thunk wrong, I apologize.

Dave Williams
03-21-2017, 06:46 PM
I've lost two guns out of a SLS 6280. One instance in a training exercise, a big tac vest pushed the bail down, and my friend deftly plucked my gun out, and I didn't realize it till the end of the exercise, when I about shit my pants. Another in a three gun match, I forgot to put the bail up, and the gun flew out when I was running, I didn't realize it until I went to draw, and was like "oh shit, where's my gum?" I really like the automatic lock of the ALS.

TGS
03-21-2017, 07:04 PM
You should see the amount of cops in NYC that walk around with the hoods dropped. I think it might actually be SOP among certain agencies there.

BK14
03-21-2017, 07:10 PM
Besides inadvertently leaving the hood down, do you guys see there being other significant disadvantages to the SLS vs the SLS/ALS or ALS only holsters?

Lon
03-21-2017, 07:40 PM
I have short thumbs and had issues with getting the SLS hood forward all the way consistently (similar to my issues with the Blade Tech duty holster). Also witnessed/experienced many inadvertent rotations of the hood (the chop guard helps with this some). The ALS with the 6006 ALS guard, to me, is the best duty holster on the market.

DpdG
03-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Besides inadvertently leaving the hood down, do you guys see there being other significant disadvantages to the SLS vs the SLS/ALS or ALS only holsters?

The SLS only holster is essentially a gun bucket if the bail rotates down. I've had it happen inadvertently during a fight, just due to the tumultuous nature of rolling with someone. He never made a gun grab, but if he had, or I had to run after him, the pistol was completely unrestrained. For that reason, I like the combo of SLS and ALS.

The drawbacks of ALS are: 1) it will still allow a DA/SA hammer to become cocked, and 2) on paper (policy concern) it is only 1 level of retention vs. the 2 levels alleged by SLS. I personally disagree with the categorization of SLS as 2 levels of retention.

If I had to pick only one, it would be ALS.

Lon
03-21-2017, 09:10 PM
.....and 2) on paper (policy concern) it is only 1 level of retention.....

Even if you add the 6006?

98z28
03-21-2017, 09:19 PM
The SLS only holster is essentially a gun bucket if the bail rotates down. I've had it happen inadvertently during a fight, just due to the tumultuous nature of rolling with someone. He never made a gun grab, but if he had, or I had to run after him, the pistol was completely unrestrained. For that reason, I like the combo of SLS and ALS.

The drawbacks of ALS are: 1) it will still allow a DA/SA hammer to become cocked, and 2) on paper (policy concern) it is only 1 level of retention vs. the 2 levels alleged by SLS. I personally disagree with the categorization of SLS as 2 levels of retention.

If I had to pick only one, it would be ALS.

Agreed. SLS only is a poor option for uniformed patrol work, in my opinion. We were still issuing Safariland model 200 "Top Gun" thumb break holsters when I started in LE. The SLS came out a couple years after I started and our SRT (SWAT) guys were testing them. We were a very hands-on department. We weren't allowed to carry expandable batons or Tasers as late as 2006. We rocked the hell out of the PR-24 though. :cool:

As many fights as we got in, I couldn't believe guys would voluntarily walk around with the gun bucket (6280 SLS). The hoods got knocked down getting out of cars and tussling with folks, which meant that gravity and luck were the only things keeping the gun in your holster. The model 200 seemed very secure by comparison. At least there was a fair amount of friction holding the gun after releasing the thumb break. It was actually pretty tough get the gun out of that holster in a take away. You had to draw it straight out. Any torque would lock it in. I'd call the 200 a level 2 before I'd call the 6280 a level 2, but Safariland calls the 200 a level 1 and the 6280 a level 2. :confused:

I LOVED the 636x holsters for uniformed work (SLS + ALS). Fast and secure.

We had several officers who would pop the thumb break open on model 200's, or would open the hood on 6360's once we went to those, thinking it would be faster to get the gun out if needed. This is a bad idea for all the reason's mentioned earlier in the thread. To combat this, we put guys on the timer in training. We had them shoot something simple, like a Bill Drill. We ran the drill starting with the thumb break open or the hood down, and then repeated the drill starting with all retention in place. Starting with the thumb break open or the hood down was rarely faster, and was often slower than starting with all retention in place. This was especially true with the 6360 (SLS + ALS). Having the hood down changes the draw and would often mess guys up.

DpdG
03-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Even if you add the 6006?

Pretty sure Safariland considers the 6006 an additional level, and since there is no industry standards for retention levels, manufacturer's ratings apply. I have a 6006, but I haven't mounted it to a holster yet to try it out. I wish there were a way to bootstrap an ALS only holster into Level 3, the way the Sentry device does for the SLS. I hate the Sentry though, as I've had it freeze up in between locked and unlocked, which totally f-d up my draw.

Due solely to policy, my only current options are 6280 w/ sentry (making it a level 3) or 070- I chose 070. Pistols are changing very soon, and the new, and only, holster will be 6360.

TheNewbie
03-21-2017, 10:49 PM
If I couldn't carry an ALS, it would be high quality thumb break for me.

I can see the SLS only being ok for certain roles where an ALS is not made for the gun or gun/light combo. However these are limited and for patrol work I see the SLS as only being slightly above the Serpa.

Lon
03-21-2017, 10:50 PM
I would choose the 070 as well. Loved mine (actually an 0705) back in the day.

BobM
03-22-2017, 07:48 AM
I would choose the 070 as well. Loved mine (actually an 0705) back in the day.

We used the 070 with the 5906 for 16 years. When we went to M&Ps in 2006 they weren't available right away so we started with the SLS. I've got most into an SLS/ALS now

TCB
03-22-2017, 09:06 AM
I've used all 3 versions on duty. The SLS only is the only one I wouldn't recommend. SLS/ALS is the best for Agency's who go hands on a lot, the SLS hood can be mastered and the ALS doesn't add any time to the draw over a SLS only but adds a huge level of security to prevent you from loosing your blaster if the hood gets rotated without you noticing. I've been in fights, fallen down cliffs, broken through miles of thick brush and had a gun grab with one and was never concerned with loosing my pistol. I'm currently running a ALS and don't feel any less secure without the SLS hood personally, it's much faster than the SLS or SLS/ALS combo, basically as fast as an open top for me. If I was working an area with motivated knowledgeable criminals who I had to interact with up close and didn't have an M-4 as my primary I'd probably go back to the SLS/ALS. General cop work...SLS/ALS is probably the most secure, safest and fastest holster out there.

That Guy
03-22-2017, 09:38 AM
I typed the above, thinking that the ALS is the large rotating part, and the SLS is the inboard lever part. If I thunk wrong, I apologize.

Unless I'm completely confused, I think you have it backwards. SLS is the hood you rotate forwards, ALS is a button between the gun and holster you press down to release the gun. No apology necessary though. :)

Lester Polfus
03-22-2017, 10:50 AM
Do I get reactionary old fart cred for saying I'm not sure any of this is an improvement on the 070? We authorized two holsters: The Uncle Mikes Pro 3 and the Safariland 070, so anybody with a brain bought a 070 ASAP.

I was able to grab one of our smaller officers by his blue handle in a 070 and literally pick him up off the ground with out the gun popping out. I've got a couple ALS holsters I use for bumming around the woods, and I like them, but they don't fill me with quite that level of confidence against a takeaway.

Sero Sed Serio
03-22-2017, 11:05 AM
Do I get reactionary old fart cred for saying I'm not sure any of this is an improvement on the 070? We authorized two holsters: The Uncle Mikes Pro 3 and the Safariland 070, so anybody with a brain bought a 070 ASAP.

I was able to grab one of our smaller officers by his blue handle in a 070 and literally pick him up off the ground with out the gun popping out. I've got a couple ALS holsters I use for bumming around the woods, and I like them, but they don't fill me with quite that level of confidence against a takeaway.

Cred given. But I think the 6370/7370 (SLS/ALS combo) is an improvement over the 070 because one retention device engages as soon as the pistol is fully inserted into the holster, and the second takes a split second to engage, while the 070 snaps take a little more time and concentration. I liked the option for a quick reholster if a situation went from guns to hands-on in a hurry.

I used a 7370 as a duty holster, and several times handed the holster and unloaded pistol to non-gun friends to see how long it took them to figure it out...30-45 seconds was not uncommon, which gave me a lot of confidence in the system.

Lester Polfus
03-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Cred given. But I think the 6370/7370 (SLS/ALS combo) is an improvement over the 070 because one retention device engages as soon as the pistol is fully inserted into the holster, and the second takes a split second to engage, while the 070 snaps take a little more time and concentration. I liked the option for a quick reholster if a situation went from guns to hands-on in a hurry.

I used a 7370 as a duty holster, and several times handed the holster and unloaded pistol to non-gun friends to see how long it took them to figure it out...30-45 seconds was not uncommon, which gave me a lot of confidence in the system.

That's a good point, indeed.

I have very different needs these days. What I like about the ALS is I can put a condition 3 Glock in that holster and sleep with it in the same tent as my toddler.

Rex G
03-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Unless I'm completely confused, I think you have it backwards. SLS is the hood you rotate forwards, ALS is a button between the gun and holster you press down to release the gun. No apology necessary though. :)

I think you are correct. The 6360 has both, and I like that the ALS engages upon reholstering.

IMHO, the ALS, alone, is more real-world secure than the 070, because it can be difficult to re-fasten the 070's snaps during a struggle, or when one's attention is concentrated elsewhere. The ALS engages itself, with no additional action on the part of the user, and sweeping the rotating SLS into place is a very simple action.

I typed an anti-070 rant, but deleted before posting.

I recently bought a 6354DO to use as a field/range holster during personal time.

Chuck Whitlock
03-25-2017, 04:53 PM
When I transitioned from a SSIII 070 to a 6360 I practiced that into my standard return to holster procedure. After considerable dry and live practice from the holster I don't have to think about it, much quicker than the two-snaps on the 070. It's a pet peeve of mine to see an "open" hood, like an OCD thing, I just want to close it! I think some folks leave them open, like a gamer cheat but it seems that would only be cheating yourself.

I love the SLS/ALS holster, but they really should come with video instructions via Gomez or EL. Saw an officer from a neighboring department unlock his hood by palm striking it forward and then having to come back to grip the gun. Also seen many Troopers with the hood down on traffic stops.

I see a few troopers in my area do this, and I can always feel my eye start to twitch.

wilco423
03-25-2017, 06:51 PM
I've used 070, 6280 and 6360 holsters on duty, and the 6360s are by far my favorite. The 070s are more secure, but you can't run a WML with them, IIRC. I used a 6360 for a G17 in ECQC and let people take a pretty good shot at getting it out, but none were successful from the front or side.

The only time the hood is down is if my hand is actually on the gun, ready to draw. In my testing there was no time advantage to having the hood down from a hands-off start position, and I've seen people flub the draw when the hood was down and they didn't expect it.