PDA

View Full Version : DIY HiTek coatings + 6 cavity molds, 9mm

jeep45238
03-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Looking to get some consolidated information from folks that are running 6 cavity/high production aluminum molds for 9mm (bonus points if diy coatings). Main reason is to try and create a more concise list of entry level production molds for 9mm without sifting through a million threads on casting to discover most don't report back on their accuracy/seating lengths.

I'm having to re-create 4 different loads in 9mm, but the bullets are DIY HiTek coated from Lee 358-125-RF and 358-105-SWC. Sized to .357 OD, barrels both slug at .355. Love the recoil of the 105's for games, but very, very picky on lengths. Love the 125 for high production on the press. Hate how both of them really, really slow down case-gauging on a hundo as the COAL is so much shorter than factory fmj.

Would really love to hear feedback from people running 2R and 1R bullets.

GuanoLoco
03-19-2017, 08:02 AM
I could never see how to make the efficiency of the process worthwhile from a time perspective. I need VOLUME. Like many 10's of thousands a year and my time is scarce/valuable.

I usually run 135's. How are 105's (380 boolits really) and 125's slowing down the Hundo case gauging process? Not following.

jeep45238
03-25-2017, 05:50 PM
They're short enough that putting the hundo flat on the table doesn't pop the rounds free, like for 115 round nose. The bullets I'm using are .38sp flat points and are a sized to .358, so the cases are a little more snug than a .355 slug. Getting them free involves tapping every 'stuck' round.

For me I need cheap right now - I have more time than money for this hobby, so I make the trade off of labor to make the dollars stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke
03-25-2017, 05:58 PM
Why does it matter if they hit the bottom? I wish my didn't hit the bottom

jeep45238
03-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Makes it way faster to pop them out, nearly every round is a 'push flush with the thumb' situation, even after cleaning every hole. I've gotten a bit jealous of watching folks load up on a table with the rims above the hundo, lift, and flush - flip into a tray and easy to push any stubborn ones left behind into the tray.

Check out around 1:20, look at the rims when it's flat on the table vs not.

https://youtu.be/f2htXzenn34

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk