PDA

View Full Version : Audi R8 vs Motorcycles. Stupidity in it's finest form.

Clobbersaurus
03-17-2017, 11:41 PM
This is crazy.

https://youtu.be/Y2HKBQMQmbw

hufnagel
03-18-2017, 06:49 AM
May the appropriate authorities locate at least the idiot driver. Something tells me the data is out there.

JDM
03-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Four contact patches>two contact patches.

SecondsCount
03-18-2017, 09:19 AM
While a closed course would always be better for this activity, at least that R8 driver knows how to drive his car. Impressive.

GardoneVT
03-18-2017, 09:22 AM
While a closed course would always be better for this activity, at least that R8 driver knows how to drive his car. Impressive.

Didn't he take a hand off the wheel at over 180km/111 MPH?

Clobbersaurus
03-18-2017, 09:52 AM

I don't know where the hell this was, maybe an autobahn somewhere, doesn't really matter. Driving at those speeds in that kind of traffic, while certainly exhilarating, shows the drivers give zero fucks about anyone but themselves.

Nephrology
03-18-2017, 09:59 AM
May the appropriate authorities locate at least the idiot driver. Something tells me the data is out there.

From the sounds of it they're in Brazil, so the odds of the police doing anything about it are between 0 and 1%.

Pretty sure there wouldn't even be enough left of the cyclists to call them "donorcycles" if they crashed at 240kph. Consistency would be between paté and jam.

farscott
03-18-2017, 10:01 AM
The weaving in and out of traffic and the tailgating showed that while the R8 driver is technically competent, his judgment is lacking. The single hand off the wheel is not an issue if one learned to drive a manual on a racetrack, but the overall driving showed a total disregard for others.

scw2
03-18-2017, 10:36 AM

Even if that's true, you're surrounded by other drivers that are often incompetent and unfocused. All it takes is another idiot (another, because this driver is already proven to be an idiot) to quickly do a blind merge right in front of the guy and no matter how well designed your car is and how technically proficient you are as a driver, it won't matter.

Vinh
03-18-2017, 11:07 AM
I'm bewildered that you guys think the driving was impressive. Seemed like easy maneuvering for an R8.

NEPAKevin
03-18-2017, 11:15 AM
The girl's voice reminded me of a story from back in the dark ages, when I was in high school. Buddy of mine and his brother were trying to impress a couple of foreign exchange students and took them for a ride in his Mopar. As the story goes they were having a grand old time until one of the girls converted mph to kph and then they scared witless.

Vinnie Bagadonuts
03-18-2017, 11:33 AM
I don't know where the hell this was, maybe an autobahn somewhere, doesn't really matter. Driving at those speeds in that kind of traffic, while certainly exhilarating, shows the drivers give zero fucks about anyone but themselves.

And as we all know this is the real point. If they wish to risk their lives in the name of fun thats O.K. by me. But the risk to others is why they should be jailed.

JTQ
03-18-2017, 09:29 PM
I don't know where the hell this was, maybe an autobahn ...
Not the autobahn in Germany (is there another?). Nobody's driving slow in the left lane on the German autobahn. When you're in the left lane, you have one eye on the road in front of you and one eye in the rearview mirror, because while you may be doing 120MPH in the left lane, there is always the possibility of somebody coming up behind you at 150MPH. If you find yourself not the fastest guy in the left lane, they clear the lane and move to the right fast.

hufnagel
03-18-2017, 09:35 PM
In her former job, the wife interacted with a number of German colleagues. One time over dinner on this side of the Atlantic they were discussing driving habits, and how they had trouble with people not keeping right. Apparently, the German psyche cannot comprehend passing on the right, or of obstructing traffic flow. It just isn't done. The same with the concept of driving without a license or on a suspended one. You just can't drive. It was beyond unthinkable that someone would get behind the wheel and do such things.

JohnO
03-19-2017, 12:24 AM
It's always impressive to see organ donors just before the donation.

Lex Luthier
03-19-2017, 08:54 AM
One should really do things like that on a closed course.

It still might not impress one's passenger, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpo8RDyOEWY

FrankinCA
03-19-2017, 11:10 AM

This...assholess..I've seen crap like that on SoCal freeways.

GardoneVT
03-19-2017, 01:49 PM
In my younger and dumber years I rolled with a crew out of Chicago. Not the mafia though- they weren't hiring either in the late 00's downturn.

We used to park up,eat hot dogs and trade BS stories about the present , past,and futures of our cars and projects. We'd wait until traffic cleared, hit the interstate up to the 1/4 mile track,and run the rest of the night. The cool thing about that group was everyone already did the highway zig zag game, wised up, and made it clear anyone who pulled that shit around us was in the Dunce Corner.

That's not to say street racing never happened among us. Even there ,we at least tried to play it safe by running in isolated industrial parks after dark. Playing zig zag is fun until you wipe out some innocent family of four ,or just your very expensive and time consuming modded car.

FNFAN
03-19-2017, 04:45 PM
I'm bewildered that you guys think the driving was impressive. Seemed like easy maneuvering for an R8.

I would have preferred an S8, something that can shove a bit.:cool:

JTQ
03-19-2017, 05:34 PM
I would have preferred an S8, something that can shove a bit.:cool:
Is that a "Ronin" quote?

SeriousStudent
03-19-2017, 07:50 PM
I used to make a living scraping what was left of people like that into Ziplock bags. Literally.

It gets old.

RevolverRob
03-19-2017, 08:19 PM
In her former job, the wife interacted with a number of German colleagues. One time over dinner on this side of the Atlantic they were discussing driving habits, and how they had trouble with people not keeping right. Apparently, the German psyche cannot comprehend passing on the right, or of obstructing traffic flow. It just isn't done. The same with the concept of driving without a license or on a suspended one. You just can't drive. It was beyond unthinkable that someone would get behind the wheel and do such things.

If I ever leave the States for another country. It's likely about a 1-in-3 chance that it will be to Germany, for precisely this reason. Germany has some of the best roads and best drivers out there. Japan, having a strong car culture, also has solid roads and good decent driving.

As for the 'States, we are generally terrible drivers here. Freeways jammed with morons cruising in the left lane. Semis that don't maintain awareness, lane position, or generally don't seem to give a fuck about anyone else. Don't even get me started on the lack of general operating skill for vehicles in cities. Driving in a city for me has two modes, Defensive and Offensive. Defensive for most of it, but you have to be ready to flip the switch and drive hard and decisively.

Very easy maneuvering for a car with that much grip and that little overall speed. The 240 km/h is ~150mph. While not ideal for achieving on unprepped surfaces, not at all unreasonable for a car that easily has another 50-60mph in reserve from that speed. Plus, he only touches that speed for a few seconds, it's not a sustained 150-mph.

I concur that the freeway right there was far too heavily trafficked to be doing this kind of garbage on. I like to drive FAST and I have a lead foot and have owned some pretty quick cars in my day. The statute of limitations has long run out of the crap I did as a teenager, but it involved some serious triple-digit speeds around things like the freshly opened George Bush Turnpike in DFW (high school) and 3:30am runs down Loop 1 or Loop 360 (back as an undergraduate in Austin). I had a rule about ripping cars wide open for "freeway runs". If there was another car within sight distance ahead, it was a no go. I also knew the longest stretches of the road without entering/exiting traffic to really "test" the car. And my crew tended to play it safe and choose unfinished housing developments as our places to actually drag race back in the day (there were plenty in the DFW-area circa 2001-2005).

None of that is my way of condoning street racing or dangerous driving on the street. I did some dumb shit, had a few close calls, got really lucky twice, and otherwise made it out alive. But I wouldn't call any of it smart or a result of some innate talent, just luck. This guy driving his Audi R8 is the same way...lucky.

hufnagel
03-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Joe in PNG
03-19-2017, 08:34 PM
I'll agree with Rob point that American drivers just plain suck. Which makes driving like a lead-footed idjit that much more stupid.

TiroFijo
03-19-2017, 08:54 PM
What a bunch of imbeciles...

Hope they kill themselves soon without hurting anybody else. Sadly that's not what ussually happens.

Wondering Beard
03-20-2017, 10:07 AM
I'll agree with Rob point that American drivers just plain suck. Which makes driving like a lead-footed idjit that much more stupid.

Probably true, but driving in some foreign countries (as I'm sure you know) can make the US suddenly look real good. I've had Europeans and south of the border (sometimes as in waaay south) drive with me and comment (about the traffic around us) on how they were surprised by how easily Americans follow the rules and are so polite.

Everything's relative .. until you drive in Mexico City and realize you have left reality as we know it.

TAZ
03-20-2017, 10:36 AM
What a bunch of retards. I'd wish that they splatter their brains at the nearest blind corner, just so the gene pool could get a few drops of bleach, but I won't cause these idiots always manage to take an innocent family with them.

They may freaking be Sebastian Vettel but still can't avoid someone who isn't expecting an F1 practice run on a highway. When songs looks in the mirror and sees a car way in the back, they don't think o that guy is doing 4x the limit. They think I've got plenty of room for my lame change getting ready to exit.

The only thing impressive about any of that is the level of stupidity these people possess. If it hurt they'd be walking about in freaking agony.

Peally
03-20-2017, 10:47 AM
I love racing. Only thing I love about street racing is when the vehicles get driven into a ditch.

Joe in PNG
03-20-2017, 03:35 PM
I've noticed that Aussies generally stick to the speed limit- lots and lots of speed cameras about.

PNG is... interesting. The roads tend to go from "horrible" to "why bother with pavement? It just makes the potholes worse" to "the road is under the landslip/the road has fallen down into that valley". Thus, typically you have a two lane road where 3/4th is unusable, and everyone is trying to dive on that narrow 1/4 (which some PMV driver is wanting to use to pick up passengers) going in both directions. Plus, most vehicles on the road are in terrible shape, and a good number of drivers tend to be drunk or stoned.
With all that, they're still better, more considerate than most drivers in the USA. They use their turn signals, for one, and actually pay attention to what's happening (even the drunks).

RevolverRob
03-20-2017, 04:06 PM
I love racing. Only thing I love about street racing is when the vehicles get driven into a ditch.

I'll be entirely honest. I love racing.

Road track, rally, motocross, trials, flat-track, circle-track, figure 8 track, dirt track, asphalt, drag strip, motorcycle sidecars, clown car racing, bumper cars at the fair/carnival, hell I'll even watch/participate in bicycle racing. And I LOVED street racing the combination of racing + illegal as hell = big ass adrenaline dump that'll have you coming down for days afterwards.

But you can love something and know it is stupid as hell, take the risk, and nearly die or have friends nearly die from it and still love it. For instance I'm positive that heroin addicts LOVE heroin, even when they haven't had a hit in decades. The problem is when you endanger someone else and that's why I say no to street racing, even though I admit it...I love it. It's easy at first, you think, "It's just me I'm risking here." And then your buddy loses control of his 500-horsepower LS1 Camaro and careens off the road into a median barrier and spends 3-days in the hospital. It's okay, no one got killed and after all he knew the risks, right? Right. So you keep going...until one night the cops come and you and your friends start running from them...And in your attempt to get away, you drive your 450-horsepower Mopar through a neighborhood with the sprinklers on and lose control and slam full tilt into a 50-year old oak tree at about triple the speed limit and your two friends in the car aren't belted in and one of them gets ejected from the car. And the next day, when they unwrap your car from around the tree and your buddy ejected from the car is there, arm in a cast and cuts on his face sewn up...you think, "Yea...we got LUCKY last night." - Which is what you should have known all along...you were playing on borrowed time and luck and you were always risking someone else.

It ain't worth it. Track racing offers 95% of the thrills with 20% of the risk of street racing. But it still doesn't mean I don't occasionally crave the fix that tearing through the streets can offer.

trailrunner
03-20-2017, 05:53 PM
What a bunch of retards. I'd wish that they splatter their brains at the nearest blind corner, just so the gene pool could get a few drops of bleach, but I won't cause these idiots always manage to take an innocent family with them.

I was driving down I-95 south about 10 years ago. It was the middle of a weekday, so traffic wasn't too bad. I was probably in the middle lane when I saw a guy driving a black Crossfire like a madman on the left. When somebody in the left lane was going too slow for his taste, the Crossfire drove at least partway on the shoulder to get around him. He wasn't just driving an impatient 70 mph in a 55 mph zone - he was way over the top.

About 10 miles later, traffic comes a complete stop. I was about the 10th car back. The state police had blocked off the freeway to allow a medevac helicopter to land. When they opened up the freeway, sure enough - there was the remains of the Crossfire. But there was also a family minivan that was crushed inward on the right side and a complete wreck. I didn't care what happened to the Crossfire's driver, but I didn't want to imagine what he might have done to a family in that minivan headed for a nice day at the Kings Dominion.

Peally
03-20-2017, 06:37 PM
It's the risking other people's life and property part of it that makes me really hate their guts. Racing itself is inherently a very dangerous but entertaining activity when there's rules and structure to it.

mtnbkr
03-20-2017, 06:53 PM
I was driving down I-95 south about 10 years ago. It was the middle of a weekday, so traffic wasn't too bad. I was probably in the middle lane when I saw a guy driving a black Crossfire like a madman on the left. When somebody in the left lane was going too slow for his taste, the Crossfire drove at least partway on the shoulder to get around him. He wasn't just driving an impatient 70 mph in a 55 mph zone - he was way over the top.

About 10 miles later, traffic comes a complete stop. I was about the 10th car back. The state police had blocked off the freeway to allow a medevac helicopter to land. When they opened up the freeway, sure enough - there was the remains of the Crossfire. But there was also a family minivan that was crushed inward on the right side and a complete wreck. I didn't care what happened to the Crossfire's driver, but I didn't want to imagine what he might have done to a family in that minivan headed for a nice day at the Kings Dominion.

That section of I95 freaks me out a bit. I'm comfortable driving in traffic and all, but for some reason all the idiots come out between NoVA and Richmond on I95. You get a mix of people blissfully driving 50mph on a 70mph interstate and others doing 80+ and weaving in and out of slower travelers.

Chris

TheNewbie
03-20-2017, 07:18 PM
From the sounds of it they're in Brazil, so the odds of the police doing anything about it are between 0 and 1%.

Pretty sure there wouldn't even be enough left of the cyclists to call them "donorcycles" if they crashed at 240kph. Consistency would be between paté and jam.

I dated a girl from Brazil. She said she would never live there again because of corruption.

One time she called the police about a noise complaint. They said they would respond but they didn't have a car or even a bicycle. They told her if she came and picked them up they would handle the call.

trailrunner
03-20-2017, 07:30 PM
I dated a girl from Brazil. She said she would never live there again because of corruption.

One time she called the police about a noise complaint. They said they would respond but they didn't have a car or even a bicycle. They told her if she came and picked them up they would handle the call.

Sometimes the cops in Brazil are there when they're needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzN_tcK0NzI

TheNewbie
03-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Sometimes the cops in Brazil are there when they're needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzN_tcK0NzI

True. I think it's really hit and miss. Sounds like the guys would have done their job, they just needed transportation.

Her uncle was at a festival and got pickpocketed. He found and officer but when he told him what happened the officer replied "my wallet was stolen too".

Mark Housel
03-20-2017, 08:22 PM

I've been in two similar situatioins. One tragic, the other a total laugh fest. At least on my part. The driver of the Camaro wasn't laughing I imagine.

Back in the mid 70's I was being driven back from Sabinas Mexico on a work related job (GTE Lenkurt, Telecom) and just inside Texas we were passed by a kid on a Honda 500/4 weaving in and out of traffic. As a long time MC rider I noticed his lack of helmet and overly aggressive riding. A few minutes later traffic comes to a stop and we miss being hit by a light pole that came crashing across the freeway.

As traffic negotiated around things we saw the cause. The rider was stuffed under the guard rail on along the inside lane, obviously dead, as the back of his skull was crushed almost to his ears.

The next was maybe 5 years ago in Phx. on 101 and it had been raining and traffic was tied up for an accident. A Camaro a few cars ahead of us got through the stoppage and clearly irritated at having been held up, really hammered it. While I didn't see all the details, he must got have gotten it loose as he approached highway speeds and spun it hard into the guard rail along the inner lane. By the time we got by, just ahead of the crowd, he was out and looking at his pretty well f*d up car. I just laughed. What a GD maroon!

Having done my share of idiot driving in my younger life, I am probably fortunate to have never caused an accident or been injured seriously in any.

Robinson
03-20-2017, 10:20 PM
Probably true, but driving in some foreign countries (as I'm sure you know) can make the US suddenly look real good. I've had Europeans and south of the border (sometimes as in waaay south) drive with me and comment (about the traffic around us) on how they were surprised by how easily Americans follow the rules and are so polite.

Everything's relative .. until you drive in Mexico City and realize you have left reality as we know it.

I will NEVER forget a ride I had in a Polish taxi.

Duelist
03-20-2017, 11:48 PM

Cairo, Egypt - lane markers? You can fit a lot more cars on the road if you ignore them.

Lex Luthier
03-20-2017, 11:50 PM

Yep. Been on the back of a motorbike at rush hour in the Hoang Kiem district of Hanoi. Climbing Upper Cathedral Spire in Yosemite was less stressful.

TiroFijo
03-21-2017, 07:40 AM
Try driving in Rome's centro storico at rush hour!
I'm from south america, a step below asia in driving madness, but the romans certainly are not far behind...

NEPAKevin
03-21-2017, 11:28 AM

My wife's asshole cousin's ex-wife was from Sao Paulo and was carjacked several times. When they split up, she stayed in the US.