PDA

View Full Version : Simple curiosity: G34 vs G17 slide weight

YVK
12-15-2011, 08:05 PM
That cut-out on G34 slide, what does it do to slide's weight in comparison to G17's - keeps them similar, G34 is still heavier, G34 is lighter than G17?

JV_
12-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I believe there is a (approx) 1 oz difference between the 17 and 34 (w/o mag). Since the frames are essentially the same, the difference is in the slides. Some of that 1 oz is the added barrel length.

YVK
12-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks, JV. I keep forgetting that the frames are the same, the only differences being extended slide stop and mag release. Glock's website lists weight difference as 20 grams or 0.7 oz.
Few folks prefer 34 over 17 citing it to be flatter shooting; I was just trying to sort out where that perception is coming from.

Wes Peart
12-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks, JV. I keep forgetting that the frames are the same, the only differences being extended slide stop and mag release. Glock's website lists weight difference as 20 grams or 0.7 oz.
Few folks prefer 34 over 17 citing it to be flatter shooting; I was just trying to sort out where that perception is coming from.

Even if the slide weighs the same it is still longer, giving it better leverage against muzzle flip. I think the difference is fairly negligible, never really noticed a significant difference shooting them side by side.

YVK
12-15-2011, 10:17 PM
As a side note I never understood why Glock would mill holes in the long slides, having extra weight up there really doesn't have any disadvantages.

I am told they wanted to keep slides' weights very close in order to use the same recoil spring assembly.

Mr_White
12-16-2011, 06:50 PM

I think there is a large confirmation bias when I test things.

Before I owned the G34, I always ran the G17 and had a really hard time noticing any difference in how the two guns shot.

Then, when I came to actually own the G34, I immediately noticed how much smoother the recoil felt and how quickly it felt like it was snapping back on target.

Tamara
12-17-2011, 04:58 AM
I think there is a large confirmation bias when I test things.

Before I owned the G34, I always ran the G17 and had a really hard time noticing any difference in how the two guns shot.

Then, when I came to actually own the G34, I immediately noticed how much smoother the recoil felt and how quickly it felt like it was snapping back on target.So, how much of it is an actual mechanical advantage, and how much of it is the weight of the receipt in your pocket helping to hold the muzzle down?

GJM
12-17-2011, 05:39 AM
And, how much is pure sight radius. Almost every shooter I know, shoots a Government model better than a Comander on low probability shots, and the dimensional differences between Comander and Government are close to 17/34. Same for M&P Pro to full size.

YVK
12-17-2011, 06:19 AM
So, how much of it is an actual mechanical advantage, and how much of it is the weight of the receipt in your pocket helping to hold the muzzle down?

This obviously needs to be quantified by objective means, but I do agree with Origami. I don't own either 17 or 34, but I rented and shot both against my 19. I barely feel and difference between 19 and 17, but I do feel the difference between 19 and 34. Comparing to 19, 34 feels like it doesn't really move.

EJO
12-17-2011, 06:43 AM
So what does this mean in real world application. Spead and accuracy when comparing a 34 to a 17? Is there a big difference? Has anyone compared the two on the FAST drill?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tamara
12-17-2011, 07:16 AM
So what does this mean in real world application. Spead and accuracy when comparing a 34 to a 17? Is there a big difference? Has anyone compared the two on the FAST drill?
Well, a Glock 34 enables you to shoot a FAST drill like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU3jceN4JAc). ;)

JAD
12-17-2011, 08:06 AM
So, how much of it is an actual mechanical advantage, and how much of it is the weight of the receipt in your pocket helping to hold the muzzle down?

Hey, don't knock it. A stack of training receipts keeps my devotion to Weaver from blowing away.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.007968,-94.595925

JV_
12-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Spead and accuracy when comparing a 34 to a 17? Is there a big difference? Has anyone compared the two on the FAST drill?I've compared the 17 and 19 with the FAST, I was FASTer with the 19.

JodyH
12-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Im still FASTer with a P2000 than I am a P30, despite similar round counts.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

EJO
12-18-2011, 06:17 PM
JV, I find I am FASTer with my 19 compared to my 17 too. So much so that I'm pretty much using the 19 for everything including duty carry. I'm slightly more accurate with the 17 at distance (25-50 yards) but I think with more training that will change.

I've always had a love for the G34 but every time I shoot one I find no advantage to it. A year will go by and I tell myself there must be some advantage and I start thinking about getting one again, then I'll shoot a buddies and I'm back to thinking why...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCT125US
12-18-2011, 07:35 PM
I too have seen a marked improvement in speed with a shorter slide. When reviewing my shooting videos in slow motion the shorter barrel appears to snap back on target when coming down out of recoil. Where as the longer barrel with its greater mass (however a small increase it may be) seems to drop below the POA and then rise up to the target. Also the greater mass pistol seems to hang longer at the apex of the recoil.

JV_
12-18-2011, 07:38 PM
seems to drop below the POA and then rise up to the target.If the gun is dipping below the POA, you can try lightening your recoil spring to make it shoot "flatter".

Here's a video of recoil spring weights & slide delay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3UVLm2GajI&t=3m5s

Magsz
12-18-2011, 10:21 PM
JV,

Thank you for that post, very cool stuff.

I am currently having a bit of an internal debate between what gun i want to "game" with. All "practical" arguments aside, here is what i am currently debating based upon my findings.

1. I find that i shoot my G19 decisively better than my G17. The G19 has more recoil and muzzle climb yet the slide velocity for ME is very desirable. I find the sights settle more consistently, it is easier to track between targets and i find accuracy for game purposes just fine. Now, i may be way off base here as i am still using factory ammo, no mousefart low power factor loads.

2. I find that i prefer the ergonomics of the G19, ie the higher hump which pushes my strong hand into the beavertail area better than the full size frames.

Having said all of this, i find my G17 to be easier to reload due to the larger magwell and longer grip.

I do however find the G17 to be a "wobble" king. I feel as though my wobble zone is exacerbated by the longer sight radius. I feel as though despite the advantage of the longer sight radius, my practical accuracy is decreasing due to how much i feel the muzzle is moving around.

I also dont really like the soft push of the recoil impulse on the G17, i prefer a snappier gun...maybe i should shoot .40..HA!

So, what is left to try? The G34. Is there something i dont know? Is the heavier muzzle (marginally heavier) the key to making this gun more shootable and desirable than the G17? Is this a case of me wanting what i dont have, ie grass is greener on the other side of the fence?

Why do the top competition shooters rock G34's? Yes, they can and have shot G17's very well but they routinely go back to 34's or 35's.

Ultimately i will shoot what i like but i refuse to be close minded simply because i THINK i do something better with a particular piece of gear.

Prdator
12-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Why do the top competition shooters rock G34's? Yes, they can and have shot G17's very well but they routinely go back to 34's or 35's.

This is were Im at Totally sold on the G34/G35, Ive been though the Compacts and Full size's and keep coming back to the Long slides. When I went back to a G17 early this year I had to really slow down and make my self shoo the gun well.. Going back to the G34 Oh its like it shoots it self....
Also against common knowledge the G34/35 hides better for me than the G17 and in most cases ( IWB) it hides better than the G19.

Magsz
12-18-2011, 11:10 PM
This is were Im at Totally sold on the G34/G35, Ive been though the Compacts and Full size's and keep coming back to the Long slides. When I went back to a G17 early this year I had to really slow down and make my self shoo the gun well.. Going back to the G34 Oh its like it shoots it self....
Also against common knowledge the G34/35 hides better for me than the G17 and in most cases ( IWB) it hides better than the G19.

Im raising my eyebrow on that one brother. How could you possibly conceal a larger gun better than a smaller gun. Are you sure you're not fooling yourself into wanting to believe that the gun you dig the most is the best gun for concealed carry?

Just throwing that out there. :)

fuse
12-19-2011, 06:35 AM
If the gun is dipping below the POA, you can try lightening your recoil spring to make it shoot "flatter".

Here's a video of recoil spring weights & slide delay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3UVLm2GajI&t=3m5s

Awesome vid

Mr_White
12-19-2011, 06:00 PM

Heh. Good guess, but no.

It was the sentimental attachment weighing it down...

Prdator
12-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Im raising my eyebrow on that one brother. How could you possibly conceal a larger gun better than a smaller gun. Are you sure you're not fooling yourself into wanting to believe that the gun you dig the most is the best gun for concealed carry?

Just throwing that out there. :)

So the first time someone ( Tom Givens) told me that I thought Yea right..... Well then I got around to Trying it........ and by gorge that guy knew what he was talking about:)

The G34 is about 3/4'' longer than the G17 but has the same frame, with the guns in a IWB holster the G34 pushes the pressure point lower ( and for me) that makes the grip push more into my side thus hiding the gun better.
Im now caring it in a AIWB holster ( Keepers Kydex) and love it!!!!!! But I can't cary a G19 it's not long enough! I tried one in a Invictus and it was the worst thing Ive ever tried.... the gun printed very badly and was uncomfortable. Now Im a big guy that needs to loose a lot of weight, but my Skinny as a rail nephew carries a G34 in a 5shot leather holster and prefers it to the G19 or G17 for the same reasons, and my buddy Bratch on here s caring a M&P pro AIWB. So give it a try and see if it works for you.

Magsz
12-19-2011, 10:54 PM
I can barely carry a G17 in the appendix position.

I am 190 lbs and 6'0. My pelvis is simply not long enough to accommodate the extra 3/4ths of an inch. To each their own! :)

JAD
12-20-2011, 06:30 AM
I can barely carry a G17 in the appendix position.

I am 190 lbs and 6'0. My pelvis is simply not long enough to accommodate the extra 3/4ths of an inch. To each their own! :)

No kidding. A 4.25" Commander completely disappears in 3:30 IWB for me, and if it's a lightweight I won't notice it's there after an hour or two. Stretch that slide out to 5" and I can't sit down with an IWB. High ride OWB easily, but IWB no way.