PDA

View Full Version : BUG-R with a J-frame

Welder
03-15-2017, 09:43 PM
So now that the new scoring system is out I've finally accepted that I have to work on my accuracy. I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable and spending a year shooting my Talo 642 in place of the Berettas. I need to force myself to slow down and concentrate, and if shooting a J won't do that I don't know what will.

So my question is this - I love revolvers, have a few, but I've never shot a revo in competition of any type, and I don't know what I don't know - can you help? For example, I have a DSG AIWB holster for this revolver, but I can't use it in these matches. Holsters, speedloaders, etc .... I know nothing about that stuff. My J is my backup and I never carry spare ammo for it.

My current level of shooting will let me hold the down zero at 25 yds with this gun if I take my time. That's at my home range. I have no idea what standard I should be shooting for, have never done a revolver speed reload, etc. Lastly, and maybe this is more important than I think it is, I don't know the service life on this 642. Am I going to destroy my real-life BUG using it like this for a season? If so, I need to make other plans. Oh yeah, I do have everything for reloading .38 although I've only reloaded .357 with it up to now.

Point me in the right direction, if you have the time. I sure would appreciate it.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-15-2017, 10:00 PM
I can only speak to my own experience. When I actually carry the 642 it is a DeSantis pocket holster. However, I bought a Galco leather IWB for matches as it is required. I also use HKS speedloaders as they are inexpensive and simple. I bought a Bianchi double pouch and a single off brand one as you need about 18 rounds for an IDPA match. There are faster speedloaders and better pouches but my goal was to get trigger time and rounds on target. As a BUG, I wasn't that concerned with being a winning dedicated revolver competitor. You can master decent hits on the targets with practice. I have a thread in about a short range match I shot with the 642 - https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21336-Short-range-with-the-J-frame-%96-642&highlight=short+range+match

I also have take Claude Werner's snubby class to get some expert training with the little guy. Well worth it.

You won't destroy the gun. If you shoot very powerful loads - you might destroy your hand though. I'd shoot milder stuff in matches and maybe practice with a few fuller power loads outside of the match.

Isaac
03-16-2017, 08:13 AM
I bought a case of WC from Precision Delta and have been happy with the reliability of them so far. But be warned, it says AMMO on the box- in case that's as issue if your neighbors see it being delivered to you.

Welder
03-16-2017, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the info so far. Isaac, I'll look up PD and see what else they have for sale - don't think I want to try WC's for speed reloads. I'll likely load my own, though, to get PF down to the 95 or whatever that's allowed while also saving some $$. I'm guessing I want RN's for fastest reloads.

BN
03-16-2017, 07:40 PM
I've shot a fair amount of revolver in IDPA but not a lot with a J-Frame.

If I was going to shoot BUG-R I would get an outside the waistband holster. Probably something in kydex. Lots of makers out there. I would use Safariland speedloaders because you don't have to hold the cylinder in place when you activate them. There are better speedloaders out there but they are very rare. I would probably just load my vest pocket with a bunch of speedloaders and rock on. :)

If you are going to load your own, I would recommend either a plated or coated round nose bullet with just enough Bullseye to make power factor. Start at 3.0 grains and go from there. I've used both Bayou and Berrys bullets.

Welder
03-16-2017, 09:56 PM
.... I would probably just load my vest pocket with a bunch of speedloaders and rock on....

Bill, thanks for your advice. I know I'm doing it wrong, but I don't even own a vest. I just use a blaze-orange zipper-front hoodie.

My Talo 642 is milled for moonclips, but unless the BUG rules have changed yet again, I'm pretty sure I can't use moonclips. Maybe next year.

cclaxton
03-25-2017, 11:39 PM
I just bought a S&W 442 snubby and consulted my good friend Aaron. I have never owned a revolver and only shot one a few times. I really like shooting this little gun...I am pretty accurate with it using standard pressure 158gr ball or SWC ammo. He recommended the Safariland Comp 1 loaders, and they work GREAT. The HKS require more fine motor manipulation. I like how the Comp 1's are spring-loaded...just push, and the rounds go in easily. I did have to cut back the left grip of the gun to get the speedloader to clear the grip. (Not sure why S&W just doesn't sell them already cut down?). After much testing of ammo, I have finally decided on Federal Hydra-Shok 110gr "Low Recoil" for SD ammo, and 158gr copper plated Freedom Munitions ball ammo for practice. The recoil of the Hornady Lite is definitely much lower, but the gel tests on the interwebs don't show them expanding consistently. I really like the Hydra-Shok 9mm rounds, so I will go with the 110Gr Hydra-Shok. The recoil is manageable. I don't like any of the lead ammo...just too messy...I don't need the added lead exposure. FYI, I tried the G2 Telos 38Special +P SD ammo, and it is awful...it's inaccurate. I can pull center shots with 158 ball at 15 yards, but these rounds hit the down 3 area on an IDPA target, pulling far left. The 110Gr are consistent with the 158gr ball. Something about that ammo causes them to be wildly inaccurate. I am going to try this thing in IDPA and see how it goes. Right now just having fun learning to shoot it. Next up, GP100.