PDA

View Full Version : I Load Fast

GuanoLoco
03-14-2017, 09:45 AM
So, young Luke, you wanna load fast? I DO load fast (9mm @ 2100 RPH):

http://youtu.be/fsnzKz6FciQ

Mike Drop

Now if only I could shoot as fast as you. ;)

#Dillon1050 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Dillon1050)

#Mark7 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Mark7)

GuanoLoco
03-14-2017, 12:03 PM
Reloading press used (list modifications if relevant):
Dillon 1050, Mr. Bullet Feeder, Mark 7 Autoloader 1050X upgraded to 1050Pro (using old 1.3HP motor)
Numerous mods: F&FB Shell Plate, index pawl, Micrometer powder measure and seating die, "Tie Wrap" mod

Caliber: 9mm

Bullet (Weight, Coating, Profile, Manufacturer)
135gr 9mm Bayou Bullets, Hitek polymer coating, Round nose

Powder manufacturer, type and charge; volume, type (ball, stick, flake), base
Just used last of ETR-7 flake (supposedly Maxam CSB-1) - 3.7 gr gives 134 Power Factor. Just swapped to 3.7 gr Nobel Sport Vectan Prima V (crushed gravel appearance) for 132 PF, measured in an EAA/Tanfoglio Stock 2

Dies used
Brass is preprocessed before loading - Wet cleaned, force-dried, QC'd, Decapped, Lee U-Die sized, Swaged
Belling with Mr. Bullet Feeder Powder Funnel to 0.389" for polymer coated bullets, crimping with Dillon Taper crimp die to 0.379"

Primers used
Federal SPP for match, Fiocchi SPP for practice (much harder but cheaper). Fiocchi's need to be seated deeply, 0,005-0.010" or light strikes possible. Federals need to be seated anywhere below flush.

Cartridge Overall Length (COAL): 1.085-1.095 - Tanfo chambers are notoriously short, I plan to get them reamed to SAAMI spec.

Chronograph data (if possible): http://www.doodieproject.com/index.php?/topic/5134-most-awesomest-competition-powders/page-5#entry156390
9mm
Nobel Sport Vectan Prima V
135 gr Bayou Bullet - Hitek Coated
Federal Small Pistol Primers
1.090-1.100 COAL
EAA/Tanfoglio Stock 2 - 4.5" Barrel, Polygonal rifling

2.8 gr, 794 fps, failure to extract
3.2, 891 120 pf, weak extraction, slide lock
3.4, 929, 125 pf
3.5, 956, 129 pf
3.6 958, 129 pf
3.7 985, 132 pf
3.8 991, 133 pf

10 rounds @ 3.6 gr - Lo 958, Hi 1002, ES 44, Avg 973, PF 131

10 rounds heated on oil heater - 132.7 PF
10 rounds chilled in chest freezer - 130.2 PF

Minimal smoke, no bad smell. Consider to be temp insensitive. Fills about 1/2 a case+, reduced concern of double charges. Consistency is like small sharp pieces of gravel of varying sizes. Seems to stay put in case during loading as opposed to lower density flakes. Current availability quite good. Current cost is competitive with or better than other powders. Comes in 1/2 kilo, 1.1 lb containers so 10% more product than most.

Seeing flattening of Federal SPP's on radius but this is consistent amongst ETR-7, Prima V, TiteGroup, WST and less so of Win 231 in testing so far. Nothing unusual.

I loaded 500 but haven't tested them. I have a good feeling about this powder.

Goals intended with this load
Competition load that comfortably exceeds 125 Power Factor runs reliably and that plunk tests in a wide variety of short-chambered Tanfo's and CZ's (what my buddies shoot) + Glocks, M&P's, etc.

Results - accuracy, smokiness, clean burning, flash, temperature, smell, brass deformation, etc.
Clean burning, consistent, reliable load. Huge experience with ETR-7; Less experience with Prima V.

Problems encountered and fixes applied
Tie wrap mod on 1050 rocks!

Anything of interest

jeep45238
03-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Jebus........

Luke
03-14-2017, 07:57 PM
Looks like you've gone off the deep end. I recommend stepping back, read a loading book or two, then get you a good single stage and learn what it takes to make ammo.

GuanoLoco
03-14-2017, 08:18 PM
I have a good single stage press. And a 550. And the Doomsday Device(tm).

jeep45238
03-14-2017, 08:24 PM
I'm curious how a dillon 1050 w/ mark 7 compares to the mark 7 revolution, rounds/setup/cost. If you're gonna go off the deep end, may as well go off the deep end....

John Hearne
03-14-2017, 08:35 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/40/4083b78521c19aee8908aa4cbfb6d27a91c92dd1195a6f0099 0fb47281b74742.jpg

JCS
03-14-2017, 09:01 PM
I enjoy reading your reloading chronicles on doodie. I hope you'll share them here as well.

I'd really like to try out prima v. Thanks for the load data

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuanoLoco
03-14-2017, 11:15 PM
I'm curious how a dillon 1050 w/ mark 7 compares to the mark 7 revolution, rounds/setup/cost. If you're gonna go off the deep end, may as well go off the deep end....

Go for it and tell me how it works out. 2100 RPH works well enough for my hobbyist needs...but I am an incorrigible fiddler and tooner.

jeep45238
03-15-2017, 12:53 AM
Nowhere near able to swing a 1050 at this point in my life ;)

Only way I can see touching is if I start selling ammo. That's something I'm interested in, but can't see pursuing for a long time, if ever.

GuanoLoco
03-15-2017, 07:40 AM
Nowhere near able to swing a 1050 at this point in my life ;)

Only way I can see touching is if I start selling ammo. That's something I'm interested in, but can't see pursuing for a long time, if ever.

That is definitely not something I am interested in, and is also the only way I could see upgrading to a Revolution. The idea of a press that is engineered for higher production levels is inherently interesting though. The again, by the time you consider all the $ and time I have invested in this one, it isn't an inconceivably large step to consider the Revolution.

This is a hobby for me. Turning hobbies into revenue generators makes it work, and once it is work I start looking for a new hobby. Frankly my day job proides a better return than my hobbies ever could.

I am proud of what I have running though, and plan to post more about my processes and setup.

JM Campbell
03-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Hell yeah, that's a "smoking" set up. Keep posting please. I'm interested in that nobel powder performance as well.

jeep45238
03-15-2017, 10:15 AM
I am proud of what I have running though, and plan to post more about my processes and setup.

You should be proud - and I'm looking forward to learning more about both for amateur hour corner in my garage :)

GuanoLoco
03-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Cleaning brass. I can run 4-5 gallons of brass (8-10,000 9mm cases) at a time and it will be more than clean enough in less than an hour. I'll post more on my latest process for this soon, but basically water, brass, citric acid and Armor All Wash-n-Wax with 2-3 drain/rinse cycles.

The ruber "wiper" inside the drum was made from a piece of reinforced rubber conveyor belt I had laying around. It improves the level of agitation.

http://youtu.be/pByEOJV6PPE

Currently on sale (http://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-SERIES-3-5-cu-ft-2-3-HP-Contractor-Duty-Cement-and-Concrete-Mixer-CME35/202565557?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-BASE-PLA-D22-Concrete%7C&gclid=CjwKEAjwzKPGBRCS55Oe46q9hCkSJAAMvVuMtig3lTsQ qp6kwjo-JqxCx8we4mXq88f5Kc-WF4l0_BoCEvHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds) from Home Depot for $299 with free shipping (recurring deal)

GuanoLoco
03-15-2017, 10:30 AM
http://youtu.be/AZF-k2GP3hg

Dillon RF100 Small Primer Filler.

Nothing like having this machine fill your primer tubes while your other machine is loading ammo.

Peally
03-15-2017, 10:31 AM
With all that money and ammo you should be winning Nats by now ;)

GuanoLoco
03-15-2017, 10:37 AM
With all that money and ammo you should be winning Nats by now ;)

With all the investment of time and money in reloading, guns & home gunsmithing, dry/live practice, training classes and local/major matches - you'd absolutely think I would be better!!!

Perhaps if I had started earlier in life... All I can do at this point is to make the most of what I have.

GuanoLoco
03-15-2017, 10:40 AM
9mm brass after being cleaned in the cement mixer - with no media!

GuanoLoco
03-15-2017, 10:53 AM
Latest upgrade - I replaced my ancient 300 watt 8-tray dehydrator used for drying wet-cleaned brass with dual 1000 watt, 4 (larger) tray dehydrators. Watch Amazon for good deals, particularly on customer returns.

I was going to buy a 4 tray expansion for $80 but found I could buy a (customer returned) second unit cheaper!!!

Sadly I haven't even had a chance to try them out yet.

Nesco FD-1040 Gardenmaster Food Dehydrator, White, 1000-watt.

LittleLebowski
03-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Finally...

LittleLebowski
03-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Looks like you've gone off the deep end. I recommend stepping back, read a loading book or two, then get you a good single stage and learn what it takes to make ammo.

Ok, I laughed :D

Hambo
03-16-2017, 02:45 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/40/4083b78521c19aee8908aa4cbfb6d27a91c92dd1195a6f0099 0fb47281b74742.jpg

19 seconds isn't quite long enough for me. How about a two minute video?

LittleLebowski
03-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Time for a hashtag! #BallerReloading (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=BallerReloading)

GuanoLoco
03-16-2017, 07:35 PM
19 seconds isn't quite long enough for me. How about a two minute video?

I had a longer one but it was only at 1800 RPH. When I figured out how to make it work reliably at 2100 RPH I deleted it.

Next time I fire it up I'll do a better and longer version with some commentary.

Peally
03-16-2017, 07:41 PM
I want a running commentary, like a play by play.

But for reals I'm jealous, that's a killer setup.

GuanoLoco
03-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Per requests - a longer video from this weekend's activities.

Saturday night I reloaded and case gauged about 3100+ rounds solo and Sunday AM a buddy and I loaded 1700- more.

On the solo run I was pretty effectively loading on the 1050, filling primers and case gauging all in parallel. I did struggle a good while with priming issues, for some reason the press gets moody and primers aren't getting installed. I haven't figure this new issue out 100% yet and yes I've cleaned everything and replaced the blue tip on the primer feed tube - twice.

https://youtu.be/7yD4Gs_reBM

JM Campbell
03-27-2017, 10:50 AM
How is the Nobel working out?

GuanoLoco
03-27-2017, 11:09 AM
How is the Nobel working out?

The price is definitely right and availability seems good. It burns very clean, comparable to ETR-7 aka (I think) Maxam CSB-1. Also, low smoke and temperature stable.

Down sides:
- It is a rough granular powder with lots of different granule sizes. They are small enough to pour through a flash hole and make a mess if your press fails to insert a primer. This happened a LOT this weekend and is a new issue. In this past priming has been a very reliable operation for me. Larger flake powders do not have this problem. It is dense enough that it doesn't tend to fly out of cases very easily.

Metering: It has weird settling issues, perhaps caused by the irregular granule size. When I started I was doing 20 throw sets and weighing (3.7 gr x 20 throws - 74gr). After 2000 rounds I checked and the throw had increased to 76 grains! I am used to my final check being VERY stable with ETR-7, which is a round flake. I re-calibrated (I am using a micrometer on the powder bar) and after another 1000 rounds I re-checked and it had crept up AGAIN to about 75.0.

The next day I re-calibrated before loading and loaded 1700. This time the check after loading was down to 72.4 grains.

My target power factor is currently 132 (I need 125+), so I am fine with that but it is irritating.

When I look at the powder measure there definitely seem to be layers of larger and smaller irregular granules. Perhaps shaking up the 0.5 kilo / 1.1 lb powder jugs before pouring them in the powder measure would help. I'll try this in the future.

JM Campbell
03-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Looks like cat litter, did you let Luke in your shop?

;)

Thanks for the news on the powder. I'm currently loading with CFE Pistol.

Luke
03-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Looks like cat litter, did you let Luke in your shop?

;)

Thanks for the news on the powder. I'm currently loading with CFE Pistol.

I resent that.

I haven't been to guanos man cave in a little while. Other skanks have. Doesn't bother me though. He can do what ever he wants with who ever he wants. It's what ever. I don't even think about it really.

GuanoLoco
03-27-2017, 12:49 PM
I resent that.

I haven't been to guanos man cave in a little while. Other skanks have. Doesn't bother me though. He can do what ever he wants with who ever he wants. It's what ever. I don't even think about it really.

If you weren't out there slacking on the range Sunday you could have come over. :devil:

LittleLebowski
03-27-2017, 01:01 PM
I resent that.

I wish that I had a reloading twink :( Tom_Jones just escaped my basement today.

GuanoLoco
04-11-2017, 11:49 AM
I did some load workups with ACME 9mm 124gr and 135gr (No Lube Groove) bullets; I normally run Bayou 135's (with Lube Groove) using my two EAA/Tanfoglio Stock 2 pistols.

The Tanfos have a notoriously short throat or leade and a hard chrome barrel which requires a carbide reamer to fix. I'm still working on getting a reamer; it's been more challenging than you might think. A regular reamer doesn't do squat to a hard chromed barrel.

With the Bayou 135's I need to seat at 1.095" to plunk test on the shorter throated barrel. With 3.7 gr of Prima V I've been getting about 132 Power Factor. I'm currently crimping to 0.378".

The ACME 135 NLG's appear to have a similar nose profile/ogive to the Bayou Bullets. I need to seat to 1.105" to plunk test in both S2 barrels. Last night with 3.7gr of Prima V I was getting 134 PF, almost exactly what I've been getting with Bayou 135's and 3.7 gr of ETR-7 in the past. FYI ETR-7 is a very nice powder and it no longer available. I THINK ETR-7 is re-branded MAXAM CSB-1, which is occasionally available.

With the ACME 124's I need to seat all the way down to 1.040" (!!!) to plunk test with both barrels. With 3.7 gr of Prima V I was getting 128PF, with 3.8gr I was getting 130 PF.

Using CCI primers I was showing early signs of primer flattening; with more flattening at the shorter OAL and higher (3.8gr) powder chage.

I've got plenty of ammo loaded for the time being, but next sessions with be with the ACME 135's. I would prefer to get my barrel throats reamed and move to the cheaper 124's. I am not thriled with the idea of having to load themn at 1.040" though, that may cause feeding issues with other 9mm guns I have.

My Colt Mag PCC, for example, prefers longer ammo and shorter ammo positioned closer to the front of the magazine. I usually bang the loaded colt magazines on a table to get the bullets in that position.

45dotACP
04-11-2017, 11:56 AM
You can rent barrel reamers I think...I don't have a link, but it's a fairly cheap option if you wanna DIY

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Luke
04-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Bevan can have it back to you inside the week! (Says Enos lol).

Leroy
04-11-2017, 07:30 PM
I load SNS 125s with lube groove at roughly 1.130 in my Stock 2s if you looking for a cheaper option.

Mike C
04-11-2017, 08:58 PM
I did some load workups with ACME 9mm 124gr and 135gr (No Lube Groove) bullets; I normally run Bayou 135's (with Lube Groove) using my two EAA/Tanfoglio Stock 2 pistols.

The Tanfos have a notoriously short throat or leade and a hard chrome barrel which requires a carbide reamer to fix. I'm still working on getting a reamer; it's been more challenging than you might think. A regular reamer doesn't do squat to a hard chromed barrel.

With the Bayou 135's I need to seat at 1.095" to plunk test on the shorter throated barrel. With 3.7 gr of Prima V I've been getting about 132 Power Factor. I'm currently crimping to 0.378".

The ACME 135 NLG's appear to have a similar nose profile/ogive to the Bayou Bullets. I need to seat to 1.105" to plunk test in both S2 barrels. Last night with 3.7gr of Prima V I was getting 134 PF, almost exactly what I've been getting with Bayou 135's and 3.7 gr of ETR-7 in the past. FYI ETR-7 is a very nice powder and it no longer available. I THINK ETR-7 is re-branded MAXAM CSB-1, which is occasionally available.

With the ACME 124's I need to seat all the way down to 1.040" (!!!) to plunk test with both barrels. With 3.7 gr of Prima V I was getting 128PF, with 3.8gr I was getting 130 PF.

Using CCI primers I was showing early signs of primer flattening; with more flattening at the shorter OAL and higher (3.8gr) powder chage.

I've got plenty of ammo loaded for the time being, but next sessions with be with the ACME 135's. I would prefer to get my barrel throats reamed and move to the cheaper 124's. I am not thriled with the idea of having to load themn at 1.040" though, that may cause feeding issues with other 9mm guns I have.

My Colt Mag PCC, for example, prefers longer ammo and shorter ammo positioned closer to the front of the magazine. I usually bang the loaded colt magazines on a table to get the bullets in that position.

GuanoLoco, have you used the Prima SV also? I have been looking at the V and SV for 9mm for a little while now. I was hesitant as the information for them isn't in QL and I can't find of ton of published data just a little on Brian Enos Forum. Any tips with it? About what price range are you sourcing it at and is it pretty clean? Thanks!

GuanoLoco
04-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Bevan can have it back to you inside the week! (Says Enos lol).

I'm supposedly on his list to contact when he gets a new carbide reamer; I reached out a while ago and got nothing. Been trying to get my own for a while now.

Luke
04-11-2017, 09:02 PM
I'm supposedly on his list to contact when he gets a new carbide reamer; I reached out a while ago and got nothing. Been trying to get my own for a while now.

I'm reminded of a story from a time not long ago. In the story there was a young boy and a kite. The kite needed wind to fly if you wished to fly the kite stationary. Alas, running with the kite created thrust and it soared deep into the sky wind notwithstanding.

You see where I'm going with this?

GuanoLoco
04-11-2017, 09:25 PM
GuanoLoco, have you used the Prima SV also? I have been looking at the V and SV for 9mm for a little while now. I was hesitant as the information for them isn't in QL and I can't find of ton of published data just a little on Brian Enos Forum. Any tips with it? About what price range are you sourcing it at and is it pretty clean? Thanks!

I found it when looking for a replacement for my beloved ETR-7, no longer available after Expansion Industries went tits up, lied and attempted to defraud me. MAXAM CSB-1 is supposed to be the same thing but it is less available and less cost-effective if and when you can find it. I went questing for a new powder (see this thread (http://www.doodieproject.com/index.php?/topic/5134-most-awesomest-competition-powders/?hl=powder)) and Prima V is what I settled on.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/images/NBPRIMAV1.jpg
http://www.armeriagradilone.it/Prodotti/immagini/a5w5M6t2D4O6v0b5T3X3.jpg

I bought a jug of SV for testing, it's too fast for my needs. For 9mm I think it is on the edge of overpressure yet not quite making 125 power factor - not a place I like to be.

It might be worth testing with PCC though, a bud has been using CSB-6 (faster) powder and getting good results. Or maybe with really light bullets, but again, not what I'm looking for.

For 9mm Prima V seems to be a winner on availability and price (note 1.1 lb or 1/2 Kilo jugs). It burns clean (completely unlike a comparable powder, TiteGroup). It is a relatively fast burning powder, and this is what I want.

I had concerns about metering and settling, but more recently I have been shaking up the jugs before pouring into my powder measure and this seems to help quite a bit. If you don't do this then the granules settle in layers and metering can change quite a bit as (I think) it settles or you work through the layers.

The smaller granules leaks out of primer flash holes if you miss a primer somehow, sort-of annoying relative to large flake powder. Then again, the more dense granules don't fly out of cases during the reloading process as easily.

Powder Valley has it for $14.95 but you get hit with hazmat and I assume shipping which isn't such a good deal.

Grafs has it for $16.99/1.1 lb; put 10 jugs in your cart and you can get free shipping and no hazmat fee! That works out to $15.36/lb delivered, or about $0.008/round. Works for me!!!

GuanoLoco
04-11-2017, 09:34 PM
I'm reminded of a story from a time not long ago. In the story there was a young boy and a kite. The kite needed wind to fly if you wished to fly the kite stationary. Alas, running with the kite created thrust and it soared deep into the sky wind notwithstanding.

You see where I'm going with this?

No. So far I have failed to outsource the job and failed to get the tool to DIY and am generally just irritated about the whole thing. I have interest and money and have reached out multiple times to multiple vendors

Someone take my money!

LittleLebowski
04-12-2017, 01:15 PM
I found it when looking for a replacement for my beloved ETR-7, no longer available after Expansion Industries went tits up, lied and attempted to defraud me. MAXAM CSB-1 is supposed to be the same thing but it is less available and less cost-effective if and when you can find it. I went questing for a new powder (see this thread (http://www.doodieproject.com/index.php?/topic/5134-most-awesomest-competition-powders/?hl=powder)) and Prima V is what I settled on.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/images/NBPRIMAV1.jpg
http://www.armeriagradilone.it/Prodotti/immagini/a5w5M6t2D4O6v0b5T3X3.jpg

I bought a jug of SV for testing, it's too fast for my needs. For 9mm I think it is on the edge of overpressure yet not quite making 125 power factor - not a place I like to be.

It might be worth testing with PCC though, a bud has been using CSB-6 (faster) powder and getting good results. Or maybe with really light bullets, but again, not what I'm looking for.

For 9mm Prima V seems to be a winner on availability and price (note 1.1 lb or 1/2 Kilo jugs). It burns clean (completely unlike a comparable powder, TiteGroup). It is a relatively fast burning powder, and this is what I want.

I had concerns about metering and settling, but more recently I have been shaking up the jugs before pouring into my powder measure and this seems to help quite a bit. If you don't do this then the granules settle in layers and metering can change quite a bit as (I think) it settles or you work through the layers.

The smaller granules leaks out of primer flash holes if you miss a primer somehow, sort-of annoying relative to large flake powder. Then again, the more dense granules don't fly out of cases during the reloading process as easily.

Powder Valley has it for $14.95 but you get hit with hazmat and I assume shipping which isn't such a good deal.

Grafs has it for $16.99/1.1 lb; put 10 jugs in your cart and you can get free shipping and no hazmat fee! That works out to $15.36/lb delivered, or about $0.008/round. Works for me!!!

Interesting... I assume it doesn't stink like Titegroup either?

GuanoLoco
04-12-2017, 01:42 PM
I haven't noticed any unusual odors, just normal powder burn. It does generate smoke, just not excessive smoke.

I never used TiteGroup, but I see others using it and can spot the smoke and excessive carbon deposits on their guns.

jeep45238
04-18-2017, 09:18 AM
GL, how has this been with your dillon powder drop? Do the larger granuals tend to settle down to the bottom, or are your production runs large enough to not really matter? Any tips to help keep the drops consistent?

NETim
04-18-2017, 11:07 AM

Saturday night I reloaded and case gauged about 3100+ rounds solo and Sunday AM a buddy and I loaded 1700- more.

On the solo run I was pretty effectively loading on the 1050, filling primers and case gauging all in parallel. I did struggle a good while with priming issues, for some reason the press gets moody and primers aren't getting installed. I haven't figure this new issue out 100% yet and yes I've cleaned everything and replaced the blue tip on the primer feed tube - twice.

I get a distinct cylon vibe watching that. It lacks only one thing:

https://youtu.be/cTtkaeb5Y9Y

holmes168
06-10-2018, 08:50 PM

If this video doesn't get someone motivated to reload- then nothing will. Great stuff- wish you lived in Fort Worth.

LittleLebowski
06-11-2018, 07:11 AM
I haven't noticed any unusual odors, just normal powder burn. It does generate smoke, just not excessive smoke.

I never used TiteGroup, but I see others using it and can spot the smoke and excessive carbon deposits on their guns.

That would be me. Never had it cause issues with the gun with regards to carbon, though.

GuanoLoco
06-11-2018, 07:30 AM
This powder is the shizzle, as far as I am concerned: https://hi-techammo.com/products/csb-1m-pistol-powder-comes-with-loading-data

LittleLebowski
06-11-2018, 07:39 AM
This powder is the shizzle, as far as I am concerned: https://hi-techammo.com/products/csb-1m-pistol-powder-comes-with-loading-data

#DesireToKnowMoreIntensifies (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=DesireToKnowMoreIntensifies)

GuanoLoco
06-11-2018, 11:16 AM
#DesireToKnowMoreIntensifies (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=DesireToKnowMoreIntensifies)

This powder is CSB-1M, like CSB-1 but with a slightly smaller flake. CSB-1 is reportedly what the ill-fated / Expansion Industries ETR-7 powder was, rebranded.

Recently I discovered that Hi-Tech Ammo was reselling CSB-1M and has a good supply. I spoke with the owner and got 1 lb powder for evaluation. I worked up a load and shot a pound's worth - basically just like CSB-1/ETR-1 but the smaller flake might meter even better. This is a high bar as the bigger flakes already meter extremely well.

Short version: Fast Powder, Meters Well, Good Fill Volume, Temperature Stable, Burns Clean, Great Price.
Availability - Just Hi-Tech Ammo - for now.

I have no reservations about this powder.

My last load workup:
124gr ACME New Nose Profile polymer coated, < 1.130 COAL, 3.8 gr CSB-1M, 128 Power Factor

Here are some old threads on ETR-7:

http://www.doodieproject.com/index.php?/topic/3600-etr-7/?hl=etr7
http://www.doodieproject.com/index.php?/topic/5134-most-awesomest-competition-powders/

holmes168
06-11-2018, 12:04 PM
Good grief- you are going to force me to buy a new notebook for the data your put your there! :cool:
You even have me reading on the doodie project which I hadn’t heard of until last week.

LittleLebowski
06-11-2018, 12:44 PM
3.8gr to make 128PF and burns clean? Daddy like.

GuanoLoco
06-11-2018, 01:03 PM
3.8gr to make 128PF and burns clean? Daddy like.

Burns cleaner than PrimaV which burns cleaner than TiteGroup.

You could offer me VV N320 at the same price (that will never ever happen) and I'd have no problem picking the CSB-1M.

holmes168
06-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Burns cleaner than PrimaV which burns cleaner than TiteGroup.

You could offer me VV N320 at the same price (that will never ever happen) and I'd have no problem picking the CSB-1M.

Best place to buy?

LittleLebowski
06-11-2018, 03:25 PM
Best place to buy?

Nowhere, all gone, do not search for it :D

GuanoLoco
06-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Best place to buy?

Well, now there is the catch. Only one place that I know of, which is better than no places after Expansion Industries imploded.

holmes168
06-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Well, now there is the catch. Only one place that I know of, which is better than no places after Expansion Industries imploded.

To LittleLebowski also- first ever rage quit on a reloading journal lol.
Guess it’s time to work on my DuckDuckGo skills.

ranger
06-11-2018, 07:10 PM

Thread drift - perfect timing and thanks for posting about this powder. Local shooter put 31 lbs of powder and 7000 primers (SR and SP) for sale CHEAP. I got 8 bs of the "Commercial #5" and 5 lbs of the CSB-1 and I was just starting to look for load data.

GuanoLoco
06-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Thread drift - perfect timing and thanks for posting about this powder. Local shooter put 31 lbs of powder and 7000 primers (SR and SP) for sale CHEAP. I got 8 bs of the "Commercial #5" and 5 lbs of the CSB-1 and I was just starting to look for load data.

Awesome on the CSB-1.

Assuming the Commercial #5 is the same as CSB-5, which is, IIRC, just slightly slower than CSB-6 (a rather fast powder) - work up your load carefully. In 9mm I would also suggest using harder primers, lighter bullets and longer COAL's. Why? I could get enough pressure and resultant primer flow to cause primer piercing with CSB-6, 124gr polymer coated bullets and (soft) Federal Primers. With harder CCI primers I got to a consistent, reliable 126-127PF load right at the outside edge of what I was comfortable with pressure-sign wise.

I've shot many thousands of these as practice ammo - but this isn't a combo I would recommend for anyone that isn't experienced and meticulous.

LittleLebowski
06-11-2018, 10:26 PM
GL, you add more to this forum than you know. Thanks for hanging out here,p.

GuanoLoco
06-12-2018, 12:04 AM
GL, you add more to this forum than you know. Thanks for hanging out here,p.

Thanks. For context in the above post, my goal with the CSB-6 was to reliably meet and preferably exceed 125 Power Factor (bullet weigth in grains * fps / 1000) so I had a “valid” USPSA Production load for my (and my only) personal practice. If this isn’t a goal then you have more margin to work with than I did.

holmes168
06-12-2018, 05:13 AM
Completely agree, thank you.
I’ve learned about reloading from your videos and forum posts here and elsewhere than I’ve been able to anywhere else.

LittleLebowski
06-12-2018, 07:04 AM
Thanks. For context in the above post, my goal with the CSB-6 was to reliably meet and preferably exceed 125 Power Factor (bullet weigth in grains * fps / 1000) so I had a “valid” USPSA Production load for my (and my only) personal practice. If this isn’t a goal then you have more margin to work with than I did.

No, that's pretty much my goal as well.

holmes168
08-10-2018, 09:31 PM
I’ve got my jug of powder and my 124gr Acme bullets. Time to work on the load below.

This powder is CSB-1M, like CSB-1 but with a slightly smaller flake. CSB-1 is reportedly what the ill-fated / Expansion Industries ETR-7 powder was, rebranded.

Recently I discovered that Hi-Tech Ammo was reselling CSB-1M and has a good supply. I spoke with the owner and got 1 lb powder for evaluation. I worked up a load and shot a pound's worth - basically just like CSB-1/ETR-1 but the smaller flake might meter even better. This is a high bar as the bigger flakes already meter extremely well.

Short version: Fast Powder, Meters Well, Good Fill Volume, Temperature Stable, Burns Clean, Great Price.
Availability - Just Hi-Tech Ammo - for now.

I have no reservations about this powder.

My last load workup:
124gr ACME New Nose Profile polymer coated, < 1.130 COAL, 3.8 gr CSB-1M, 128 Power Factor

Here are some old threads on ETR-7:

http://www.doodieproject.com/index.php?/topic/3600-etr-7/?hl=etr7
http://www.doodieproject.com/index.php?/topic/5134-most-awesomest-competition-powders/

GuanoLoco
08-10-2018, 09:44 PM
I’ve got my jug of powder and my 124gr Acme bullets. Time to work on the load below.

Let us know how it goes. Be honest.

holmes168
09-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Let us know how it goes. Be honest.

The rounds ran perfect yesterday- ended up only making 50 for the range due to time constraints.
I could tell a big difference between the Acme 124 rounds and the Everglades plated rounds that were the same grain.
The Acme rounds were mush softer to shoot and the powder was much less smoky.

Great workup- thanks for the advice.

GuanoLoco
09-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Awesome on the CSB-1.

Assuming the Commercial #5 is the same as CSB-5, which is, IIRC, just slightly slower than CSB-6 (a rather fast powder) - work up your load carefully. In 9mm I would also suggest using harder primers, lighter bullets and longer COAL's. Why? I could get enough pressure and resultant primer flow to cause primer piercing with CSB-6, 124gr polymer coated bullets and (soft) Federal Primers. With harder CCI primers I got to a consistent, reliable 126-127PF load right at the outside edge of what I was comfortable with pressure-sign wise.

I've shot many thousands of these as practice ammo - but this isn't a combo I would recommend for anyone that isn't experienced and meticulous.

FYI Win SPP's and Win Mag SPP's are hard enough for the CSB-6 / 124 ACME's, Federal SPP's are NOT. No, I'm not listing a charge weight - work up your own dumb load. ;)

My CSB-6 load is IMHO still on the edge pressure wise, but is very clean burning and a consistent 126-127PF is possible from a Stock2. I've shot a BUNCH in practice and my confidence is rising. Since I got a bunch of it (CSB-6) uber-cheap I am using it for my low-cost practice load and with Win primers I'm contemplating it for match ammo. (I can't use Federals and CCI's are too hard for my match ammo preference)

I definitely wouldn't go out and buy this powder (CSB-6) for 9mm, but it is an interesting data point on the upper-end of 9mm fast powders.

Go buy the CSB-1M. Good stuff.

Tahtharne
02-21-2020, 08:05 PM
Velocity on that Remington hull load is 1240. It is a published load by Hodgdon. You could get it to 1300 FPS but the pressure would probably be over 11,500 PSI.

No offense intended here but, that seems like a pretty good solid load. Whats the reason for 1300 FPS?