PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that have done so, Dillon 550 versus 650 comparisons?

LittleLebowski
03-11-2017, 10:38 PM
Looking for real world experience, emphasis on speed difference.

#Dillon550 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Dillon550)

#Dillon650 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Dillon650)

MGW
03-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Dibs on your 550 [emoji3]

bofe954
03-12-2017, 10:39 AM

To me the big improvements are the ability to add a case feeder and bullet feeder. The primer feed system is also more reliable than the 550's.

I moved from a lee turret to a 550 to a 650. I don't regret the moves for a second. I did keep my 550. My thought was that the caliber changes are so easy (and relatively cheap vs the 650) I'd keep it for oddball low volume calibers. I run 9mm only on the 650 (I shoot production USPSA). Used to load only 40 on it when I shot limited and single stack. It isn't THAT hard to change over the 650, but for the hassle and money I wouldn't want to do it to load a couple hundred 45 long colt that will last me for years.

I don't get into loading times discussions. In my experience I spend more time adding bullets, primers and brass, dumping completed rounds, moving stuff around and fixing the occasional issue than actually pulling the handle, and no one adds those times in. With the bullet feeder, case feeder and primer tube full, you are just standing there pulling the handle. You can't do it as fast as you can, you need a rhythm, but it is a hell of a lot faster than a 550.

I think the question you have to ask is whether you are better off just getting a 1050 and not bothering with the 650. I kind of wish I would've just got a 1050. Then I could automate if I felt like it, wouldn't have to worry about primer pockets etc.

Carnifex
03-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Absolutely get the 650 and casefeeder over a 550. Not getting a casefeeder kind of defeats the whole purpose. I find it much faster and more reliable than the manually indexing presses. While the 650 is awesome I really wish I'd have just sucked it up and bought a 1050 with Mark 7 autodrive instead.

scw2
03-12-2017, 12:38 PM
What's the breakeven point for ponying up for the 1050 + autodrive? I'm leaving the measurement of breakeven ambiguous since I don't currently reload and don't really know what I don't know, but have considered reloading to shoot more.

punkey71
03-12-2017, 01:06 PM

Been loading 9 on a 550 for about 7 years.

Just bought a used 650 and hope to have it set up by next week.

I'll give you what numbers I get.

I'm currently at ~500/hour of 9mm without much stress and I *think* I should see a 40-50% speed increase with the case feeder. Time will tell and I could be off, certainly. A bullet feeder will be added in the coming months. It's not really the time I'm after though - it's the constant handling of cases, bullets and manually indexing that gets to me. If I can just pull a handle, 500 rounds will be "easier" and the speed increase (whatever it is) is just a bonus.

I certainly understand the allure if a 1050. I absolutely debated it but the massive jump in price just wasn't something I could justify for MY needs.

After selling my 550 I will be out $250 to upgrade to a 650 with a case feeder. The bullet feeder will about $475.

ETA - after watching a friend load 1,000 9mm in an hour I was impressed. He did have a case and bullet feeder. He wasn't killing himself at all and that took into account loading 5 tubes of primers halfway through. His rate purely pulling the handle was about 1,300/hr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeep45238
03-12-2017, 01:13 PM
What's the breakeven point for ponying up for the 1050 + autodrive? I'm leaving the measurement of breakeven ambiguous since I don't currently reload and don't really know what I don't know, but have considered reloading to shoot more.

Depends on your cost per round, what your current pace is vs. the new, and equipment costs/which drive you pick. My cost per 100 rounds is $4.15 right now as a reference, I cast my own bullets.

If I bought jacketed/plated bullets, I'd save up for a 1050 and Mark 7 over a few years - I've seen those things cranking out over 1000 rounds an hour without a sweat. That leaves me open to filling supplies and doing QC at the same time, vs. stopping loading to keep another thing going. Get some buddies over and run it like a team-weapon system and you'll make a lot of ammo in a hurry.

From what I've seen, I'd likely do a 2-step with the 1050, a processing and then loading phase, with universal decapping for the loading phase. More time up front, but you can max out on the processing RPM since there's no powder, and the system will run far more effeciently with less stoppages on loading if everything is uniform going into the press. The stoppages while loading take away any/all automation advances, be it feeder/auto drive/650-1050.

In all reality, I can do 100 rounds in less than 5 minutes on my 650 taking my time. It's the stupid .380 cases that I miss that mess me up the most right now. I wouldn't do a 1050 if you're going to do caliber conversions and still use the bullet feeder (unless you can afford a different collator for each different bullet). Too much of a hassle to get it running perfect every time you change bullet profiles.

noylj
03-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Dillon 550: only four die stations, where I usually need five. Manual indexing, where I found that it was easy to "forget" and double charge.
Dillon 650: nearly ideal, but only with case collator.
For me, I rate presses I have tried as:
1) 550: not enough press to be worth the cost FOR ME. Not where near as ergonomic as Hornady, so if I had to have one, I would definitely want the case collator.
2) Hornady L-N-L: perfect if I don't want a case collator
3) Dillon 650: near perfect if I want a case collator, otherwise not a ergonomic as the Hornady.
4) Dillon 1050: near perfect even if it didn't have a case collator. Then you add in the primer pocket swager...

Flintsky
03-12-2017, 04:24 PM
How much are you guys spending on a 650 setup after all is said and done? I'm running a 550 right now.

jeep45238
03-12-2017, 04:57 PM
How much are you guys spending on a 650 setup after all is said and done? I'm running a 550 right now.

I spent about $850 for my dillon and case feeder - already had the dies. Spent another $450 on the bullet feeder.
I'd like to upgrade the handle, but haven't had long enough loading sessions to make it worth the expense yet.

BN
03-12-2017, 06:03 PM
I don't have a 650, but I do have a RL1050 with a Mr Bullet Feeder and a 550. The 1050 is usually set up for 9mm. The 550 is used for various other lower usage calibers. It is set up for .45 ACP right now. Loading primer tubes etc. all take the same time no matter which press you have.

I started each test with primer tubes loaded and bullets, cases etc loaded in feeders etc. 100 rounds of 9mm on the 1050 took 4 minutes and 18 seconds. 100 rounds on the 550 took 10 minutes and 58 seconds. This is at a somewhat leisurely pace.

I will usually load for about 30 minutes at a time and take a break. I can get 500 rounds easily on the 1050 or 200 rounds on the 550. I have had both presses for a long time.

LittleLebowski
03-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Dibs on your 550 [emoji3]

Never! It was a gift and it's still way too versatile, plus it's not slow.

flux
03-13-2017, 09:29 AM
I have a 550 and load 9mm and 223. I have access to a 650 nearby but barely use it. 9mm takes me 15min per 100 rounds,eye balling each case for powder. I'm a cautious loader. 223 takes slightly longer. I use Lee dies with no issues. For me, the 550 is fast enough but I do see the speed advantage of a fully setup 650, but at a cost.

Trigger
03-13-2017, 01:31 PM
I had a 650 with casefeeder and powder check system for 14 years. I bought a 550 6 years ago. I find 650 is better suited for pistol reloading, the 550 for rifle reloading.

I sold the 650 and bought a 1050. For me, the primer swage capability alone is worth it. I find the 1050 works better with loading and priming on the downstroke, is more stable (less spilled powder), and my load rate is 25% (or more) faster than the 650. Since my high-volume reloading is .223 and 9mm, the capability to swage primers during reloading is worth it. I tried to swage a bucket of .223 brass in front of the TV one night, and I did not enjoy the experience.

To address your original question: 550 for rifle reloading, 650 with casefeeder for pistol reloading. Speed is at least double on a 650 compared to a 550. If you can swing a 1050, you will not regret it.

nwhpfan
03-13-2017, 03:14 PM
It can be almost twice as fast* with a case feeder. I don't have a bullet feeder

But it has some drawbacks. Cases upside down will stop your whole operation and they are fairly common. If (when) the priming system gets jammed you have to clear the priming system.

It is much more suseptible to maitenence; clean and lube.

I'll save you the headache. Keep it clean check the grease points and it is very, very fast and reliable.

jeep45238
03-13-2017, 03:54 PM
It can be almost twice as fast* with a case feeder. I don't have a bullet feeder

But it has some drawbacks. Cases upside down will stop your whole operation and they are fairly common. If (when) the priming system gets jammed you have to clear the priming system.

It is much more suseptible to maitenence; clean and lube.

I'll save you the headache. Keep it clean check the grease points and it is very, very fast and reliable.

This is true - my buddy has issues with his case feeder, actually his whole 650 - mostly because he doesn't want to learn it and lets other people set up everything (including the dies) on it, and won't learn to maintain/adjust on his own (or why said adjustment was needed to fix blah problem).

I had 1 upside down case from my case feeder - solution was add slightly less brass and tighten the screws for the clutch. My only issue now is an occasional fleck of tumbling media makes it down the case feed 'tube' and won't let a piece of brass drop.

I give it a brush down everytime I start and end, just to make sure I didn't miss any powder flakes/etc. If you look at the support rod for the case feeder, there's a hole there - I put an old allen wrench through it and hang a paint brush there, makes it easy to clean.

Just like any piece of machinery, the cleaner/more lubed it is, the better it will run. It will be tolerante of crap to a point, but not beyond that.

Luke
03-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Didn't read the thread*

I've loaded on a guys 550, owned and 650 and a 1050. There would be Absolutely NO way I'd buy a 550 over a 650. The speed is slightly better but the big advantage is less things for you to screw up/do/focus on. You can load and only worry about pulling the lever and looking st the powder as younplace a bullet.

This is my personal opinion and just like glock vs X this opinion is Guaranteed to wad some panties.

mmc45414
03-22-2017, 02:32 PM
I never really kept any solid stats, but another way to consider it is I think the 650 is more relaxing. Your hand stays on the handle, and all you have to do it fetch a bullet and the charged case is sitting there waiting for it. You are thrashing around doing three things (case, bullet, index) on the 550 while you just grab a bullet on the 650. It is mellow by comparison... :)

GuanoLoco
03-22-2017, 07:49 PM
Depends on your cost per round, what your current pace is vs. the new, and equipment costs/which drive you pick. My cost per 100 rounds is $4.15 right now as a reference, I cast my own bullets.

If I bought jacketed/plated bullets, I'd save up for a 1050 and Mark 7 over a few years - I've seen those things cranking out over 1000 rounds an hour without a sweat. That leaves me open to filling supplies and doing QC at the same time, vs. stopping loading to keep another thing going. Get some buddies over and run it like a team-weapon system and you'll make a lot of ammo in a hurry.

From what I've seen, I'd likely do a 2-step with the 1050, a processing and then loading phase, with universal decapping for the loading phase. More time up front, but you can max out on the processing RPM since there's no powder, and the system will run far more effeciently with less stoppages on loading if everything is uniform going into the press. The stoppages while loading take away any/all automation advances, be it feeder/auto drive/650-1050.

In all reality, I can do 100 rounds in less than 5 minutes on my 650 taking my time. It's the stupid .380 cases that I miss that mess me up the most right now. I wouldn't do a 1050 if you're going to do caliber conversions and still use the bullet feeder (unless you can afford a different collator for each different bullet). Too much of a hassle to get it running perfect every time you change bullet profiles.

Too many people take a devil-may-care attitude with their brass and then deal with all manner of stoppages while reloading. The usual comment I hear is: "Oh, I jsut handle it as I go." For me, constant failures to dto brass issues is maddening, so I go to some trouble to avoid issues. For example:

Sort
Magnet check
Wet Clean
Dehydrate / dry thoroughly.
QC - Pour 9mm cases by hand into a MTM 40 case while shaking it. Cases mostly fall head down.
Remove upside down cases, eyeball from side and remove .380, 38 super/super comp, and even 9x18 cases
Remove cases with berdan primers, obstructions, dinged case mouths, or dezincifies brass
Once done pour 9mm 'clean' brass from hand to hand and listen. Split cases, missed 380's, etc. will not ring true
Hit with a little one-shot as a lube/anti-tarnish

IF you have automation (not worhtwhile for manual):
Preprocess - Lube, size or preferably U-Die re-size, Decap with optical decapping sensor to minimize issues with decapped primers sticking to the decapping pin and getting sucked back in to the primer pocket, Swage primer pockets.
Seal in a 5 gal bucket with a gamma lid. It will keep indefinitely and you will have much more productive loading sessions.

QC's and/or Fully Preprocessed brass loads more reliably. For automated processes, cartridges can be loaded at faster rates with much lower clutch pressure settings. This is much easier on the machine / parts. You will understand after you replace a lot of broken parts, particularly with the powder measure.

bofe954
03-22-2017, 09:25 PM
Too many people take a devil-may-care attitude with their brass and then deal with all manner of stoppages while reloading. The usual comment I hear is: "Oh, I jsut handle it as I go." For me, constant failures to dto brass issues is maddening, so I go to some trouble to avoid issues. For example:

Sort
Magnet check
Wet Clean
QC - Pour 9mm cases by hand into a MTM 40 case while shaking it. Cases mostly fall head down.
Remove upside down cases, eyeball from side and remove .380, 38 super/super comp, and even 9x18 cases
Remove cases with berdan primers, obstructions, dinged case mouths, or dezincifies brass
Once done pour 9mm 'clean' brass from hand to hand and listen. Split cases, missed 380's, etc. will not ring true

Preprocess - Lube, size or preferably U-Die re-size, Decap with optical decapping sensor to minimize issues with decapped primers sticking to the decapping pin and getting sucked back in to the primer pocket, Swage primer pockets.
Seal in a 5 gal bucket with a gamma lid. It will keep indefinitely and you will have much more productive loading sessions.

QC's and/or Fully Preprocessed brass loads more reliably. For automated processes, cartridges can be loaded at faster rates with much lower clutch pressure settings. This is much easier on the machine / parts. You will understand after you replace a lot of broken parts, particularly with the powder measure.

Have you added this process time into your rounds per hour calculations? I don't ask to be a smartass (mostly), but this is what drives me crazy about the rounds per hour claims that I read. I'm the devil may care guy for the most part and am thinking about more brass QC. Probably not to your level. I don't think it would save me time, in fact my guess is it would make me slower, might be less annoying though.

GuanoLoco
03-22-2017, 10:38 PM
Have you added this process time into your rounds per hour calculations? I don't ask to be a smartass (mostly), but this is what drives me crazy about the rounds per hour claims that I read. I'm the devil may care guy for the most part and am thinking about more brass QC. Probably not to your level. I don't think it would save me time, in fact my guess is it would make me slower, might be less annoying though.

I don't add time for brass processing into throughput calculations; I don't think anyone does.

I can tell you that in my last run I was at 2100 rounds per hours on the machine WHEN IT WAS RUNNING, and that I loaded 2000 in 75 minutes, and that I had loaded and case guaged 2000 in 90 minutes. It assumed a press set up, calibrated and ready to go. It included time to reload bullets/brass/primers/powder as I went and time to correct any jams or malfunctions.

I can watch netflix and QC brass when I am so inclined, and usually do so 5 gallons at a crack.

I like to load fast and clean - get in and get out. A night of fixing malfunctions and breakages is no bueno, and trust me, I have had more than my share of those nights. Anything I can do offline to run fast and clean during load sessions is IMHO time well spent.

bofe954
03-23-2017, 07:09 PM
I get it. My brass processing consists of buying polished brass and loading it once. I usually get some amount of military brass and 380 in there, but not much. I put some handfuls in a freezer bag, spray one shot on it and use it. I get some stoppages.

I don't pick up brass at matches. When I practice I put out a tarp and only take my brass. I dry tumble it and use it. By then it's all good brass (potentially a split or something).

I dig the automated loading. Haven't done it because A. the money, B. the money and C. the brass QC.

I think that as the machines get faster the stoppages get slower and slower to fix. You need to more and more QC to make sure you can keep going that fast.

The 550 isn't that fast, but you can fix stoppages very easily without the auto index. I think someone could probably load pretty quick with a 550 and an RF100. You do no QC. You handle every piece of brass anyway. If you have a problem it gets fixed quick. Yeah, you lack a bullet feed and case feed but you don't stop to fill them either.

My 650 is faster, but if a piece of 40 gets in my case feeder I need to loosen an allen bolt, lift the feeder, disconnect the tube, dump out the piece of 40 and go again. Meanwhile the 550 guy is just loading. Until his primer feed gets dirty...

I think picking the right machine has a lot to do with what you find less tedious about process. It's something to think about when buying a machine and reading threads like this.

Luke
03-23-2017, 07:17 PM
1. Buying brass like that seems odd. Why no range brass?
2. Fulfilling my bullet and case feeder literally takes 3 seconds each. -grab handful and throw into unit
3. If you have to loosen the Allen bolt holding the case feeder to pull your tube off you have it down too far.

bofe954
03-23-2017, 09:05 PM
1. Buying brass like that seems odd. Why no range brass?
2. Fulfilling my bullet and case feeder literally takes 3 seconds each. -grab handful and throw into unit
3. If you have to loosen the Allen bolt holding the case feeder to pull your tube off you have it down too far.

1. I reuse MY range brass. I don't pick it up at matches because at big matches I can't. It isn't worth the hassle to me to pick up my 150 pieces at locals, and I don't want the 10x loaded 9 major brass from the guy shooting before me. You can buy 6000 pieces of clean (supposedly) once fired brass for $150. If I reuse the brass that I shoot in practice (loosing some of it) that'll last over a year, and cleaning brass sucks anyway.
2. Do you use case lube? Takes longer than 3 seconds for me to fill my casefeeder. I didn't use case lube on the 550. Maybe I would if I used it again?
3. I have a low basement ceiling so the pipe holding up my feeder is shortened, I might have less play, but I'll have to look into that. I'm not popping it apart that often anyway.

Look I'm not trying to argue a 550 can be faster than a 650 or come anywhere near the speeds that Guano is pulling. Just that there are other considerations too.

jeep45238
03-25-2017, 03:34 PM

Sort
Magnet check
Wet Clean

Do you deprime the pins prior to washing? Sounds like it's not worth it if you don't have automation based off your description.

GuanoLoco
03-25-2017, 11:39 PM
Do you deprime the pins prior to washing? Sounds like it's not worth it if you don't have automation based off your description.

No. I wash everything with primers in, force-dry, then QC. After that is automated preprocessing. This includes pistol and rifle brass.

LittleLebowski
04-02-2017, 11:33 PM
#Dillon550 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Dillon550)

#Dillon650 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Dillon650)

mmc45414
11-19-2018, 10:17 PM
Just kicked out some rounds on the 650 and every time I do I am glad I bought the thing. For years I had a 550 (eventually two) and rationalized it would not be that much faster, and I was wrong. I think the primer system is another good reason to go with it, and the reliability helps maintain a loading rate.

Now the quandary is the bullet feeder. Not sure it is something I want to screw with, but my left arm is getting tired...

GuanoLoco
11-19-2018, 11:38 PM
What is your estimated annual volume?

What is your savings per round?

How long will it take you to amortize the investment?

What is your time worth to you relative to your disposable income?

For me, I figure reloading 9mm saves me about $0.10/round, maybe less. My time is vary valuable to me, and I have disposable income so it is more of a prioritization/decision for me. If an add-on make me meaningfully more efficient, or saves wear/tear on my elbows (I’ve worked my way into tendinitis in both arms, inside and out before) then I tend to invest in the hardware. Then again, my situation may be very unlike yours.

I went from a 550 to a 1050 and very quickly to a bullet feeder - and never looked back. Hand placing bullets when I load small quantities of other calibers seems rather peculiar at this point - but I don’t load enough to invest in anotherMr. Buller Feeder and conversions...yet.

mmc45414
11-20-2018, 08:02 AM
What is your estimated annual volume? … What is your savings per round? … How long will it take you to amortize the investment?Part of the formula for these questions would be "How much does 9mm ammo cost?", and it sure has been tough chasing an ROI for the last couple years. I was pretty sure when I upgraded to the 650 I was still saving 50% on 9mm, at the time that was around $100/k, so I loaded up 8k and told myself I saved enough right there to mostly pay off the 650. But I only have about half of that shot up, and prices are lower on the ammo now, but perhaps I should say right now. I did some math the other day and with the components I am using, with their current pricing levels, and I am probably currently saving ~$65/k, because the price of ammo has dropped faster than components. But I reload because of habit and I actually enjoy fiddling with the cool tools. It also doesn't cost me time, at least not the way I mentally distort things, because I do it when I would not be doing anything productive. Some folks say they would rather spend the time on the range, but I started reloading last night about 8:00, after dinner while it was dark and cold and raining. I am mostly doing an ROI just to prove to myself it is not costing me money :)

What is your estimated annual volume?The question I always pose to myself is "What is my DESIRED annual volume?", because I am probably only doing around 4k now, but have been pretty busy with home improvement and work travel. I aspire to be around double that, maybe someday...

What is your time worth to you relative to your disposable income? … Then again, my situation may be very unlike yours.My current situation is that, for probably the first time in ~15yrs (small business related, long story...) all my needs, as well as my really burning desires, are pretty well met, and if I wanted a bullet feeder I could buy a bullet feeder. But I am not totally sure I wanna mess with a bullet feeder.

I went from a 550 to a 1050 and very quickly to a bullet feeder - and never looked back. Hand placing bullets when I load small quantities of other calibers seems rather peculiar at this point - but I don’t load enough to invest in another Mr. Buller Feeder and conversions...yet.And that is sorta my quandary, the reason I am not sure I want to mess with a bullet feeder, is that since I like the 650 so much better than I thought I would I keep buying more conversions for it. One thing I do NOT like about reloading is the changeover process. It is not a big deal, but it is not what I like doing, so making that more complex is a downside. Probably what reality holds is I will finish up the current 9mm batch, that should put me 9-12mo out, and consider if I want one next time I do 9mm. Then if I like it maybe I will decide to get a second 650 before I load something else. I think I hear my 500 getting sad...

The main reason I dug this up and posted here again, is that I am REALLY glad I took the 650 plunge and would urge others that are wondering if it would be that much better that it will be that much better. The 550 is still awesome and I will probably always have one (still have the Rockchucker from my youth), but I sure am glad I made the transition for the volume calibers.

GuanoLoco
11-20-2018, 09:34 AM
One of the challenges I see with newer and lower volume reloaders is the inability or unwillingness to put in the energy required to buy components at optimized prices.

My buddies and I are very opportunistic and keep a loose network onstantly identifying deals, one-time opportunities, occasional leveraging sponsor relationships, business buy-outs, etc. We always buy in bulk and occasionally pool resources to get bulk discounts, minimize shipping, taxes, etc. Some vendors will cut deals or set up codes for consistent bulk buyers as well.

Some indoor ranges might be more willing to sell brass for cheap in large quantity - e.g. 55 gal drums. I’m not picking up much these days but I picked MANY 10’s of thousands of cases in the past. At the price I last bought I’m not sure I can justify picking...

I hesitate to order powder unless it is the max capacity that Hazmat shipping allows, preferably during a free shipping event, with an attractive powder price. One of us makes the combined order, then the rest descend like vultures to get our cut.

I am also quick to work up a new load or re-spring my guns or whatever to take advantage of a particularly cost-compelling component that might not be optimal (hard primers, powder, etc.) to drive down total cost.

Investign energy trying to get to know the people who reload in bulk in your area can have a strong ROI.

Clusterfrack
11-20-2018, 11:12 AM

I don't know anyone who bought a 550--and who is even casually serious about shooting--who didn't end up with a 650 or 1050. And everyone who told them to spend the extra few hundo roll their eyes and try not to say "I told you so". And it's hard to find anyone who wants to buy a used 550.

Whoops, just realized I quoted a necropost.

mmc45414
11-20-2018, 11:16 AM
One of the challenges I see with newer and lower volume reloaders is the inability or unwillingness to put in the energy required to buy components at optimized prices.And also not willing to take the plunge and invest in a faster machine. One of my "I aint gonna screw around loading nine if I can buy it that cheap" friends is using the Square Deal. I have never owned one, and I am sure it is a fine tool, and maybe one day I might have one and set it up for something low volume, but I wouldn't be screwing around loading nine either if that is all I had.

Some indoor ranges might be more willing to sell brass for cheap in large quantity - e.g. 55 gal drums. I’m not picking up much these days but I picked MANY 10’s of thousands of cases in the past. At the price I last bought I’m not sure I can justify picking...Most all of the places I shoot I can recover what I shot, and lately I get what is left behind by my friends who are not reloading it. Often we just sequence our shooters where the guys that are leaving it go before me. Sometimes I leave it and wait till one of my buddies that is in my pool of brass shoots. We still take care with the 45, 38Super and 10mm casings, but the nine is sorta communal.

I hesitate to order powder unless it is the max capacity that Hazmat shipping allows, preferably during a free shipping event, with an attractive powder price. One of us makes the combined order, then the rest descend like vultures to get our cut.I also shoot skeet and have strived to, and finally have, standardized on one of the shotgun powders being suitable for pistol. At my volumes I can get 8 pounds at a time, and the gun club on base has decent prices and no hazmat shipping issue.

Investing energy trying to get to know the people who reload in bulk in your area can have a strong ROI.I think the willingness to buy into future needs also is a big impact. When I run out of primers I buy a bunch, I keep the powder on hand for shotguns, and that just leaves buying the bullets that have no hazmat shipping.

But who am I shitting, if it saved $5 I would probably still do it, I have been bending over and picking it up for nearly fifty years, I don't think I could stop if I wanted to... :)

mmc45414
11-20-2018, 11:24 AM
I don't know anyone who bought a 550--and who is even casually serious about shooting--who didn't end up with a 650 or 1050. And everyone who told them to spend the extra few hundo roll their eyes and try not to say "I told you so".Sorta like boats, I used to tell people to pick out what you think you want, then get one two feet longer with the largest engine they build in it.

And it's hard to find anyone who wants to buy a used 550.My progression was from 550 to two of them, and when I did I didn't have any trouble selling mine to a friend who was making the step into two 550s. I still have one and might always will, but I sure do like the 650 even more than I thought I would. I ended up getting the SL900, that is built on the 650 frame, and when I got used to that I realized I could be doing the same thing for metallic.

Whoops, just realized I quoted a necropost.Well, I sorta started it... :)

Mark D
11-20-2018, 11:38 AM
Picked up a 650 last Monday. As a brand new reloader, I was a little hesitant to get a progressive. But based on various PF threads and the advice of a couple local shooters, I went with the 650 over the 550 and the Square Deal.

Spent a few hours setting it up and was turning out rounds by Wednesday evening. I'm loving it.

olstyn
11-20-2018, 06:20 PM
Picked up a 650 last Monday. As a brand new reloader, I was a little hesitant to get a progressive. But based on various PF threads and the advice of a couple local shooters, I went with the 650 over the 550 and the Square Deal.

Spent a few hours setting it up and was turning out rounds by Wednesday evening. I'm loving it.

I can see arguments for having a good single stage around for various reasons, but I really don't understand why anyone would purchase a 550 when the 650 and the Hornady LnL are available. Auto-indexing + 5 stations is just flat-out better, no way around it.

GuanoLoco
11-20-2018, 06:42 PM
I started with a 550. Still have it.

I have a single stage, 550, 650/case feeder and a fully automated Mark 7/MBF/1050 with RF100 primer filler.

I probably should sell the 550, but then I’d need to invest in 650 caliber conversions and I’m not sure it’s worth it.

WDR
11-20-2018, 10:57 PM
I started with a 550. Still have it.

I have a single stage, 550, 650/case feeder and a fully automated Mark 7/MBF/1050 with RF100 primer filler.

I probably should sell the 550, but then I’d need to invest in 650 caliber conversions and I’m not sure it’s worth it.

I know this is an old thread, and the water is under the bridge, but I've had a 550 for a long time now. At times I do wish I had one more station, and the case feeder options are far better for the 650, but the added cost of the additional bits ( case feeder, bullet feeder, automation usually comes after that) has kept me out of the 650 game. I know as soon as I get a basic 650... I'll want to ad the rest of the upgrades to it. I don't have time to shoot enough to justify the increased cost, vs keeping what I have. I'm 100% sure it'd speed up my loading times, but I do appreciate the simplicity of the manually indexed 550 I've had for a long time now. The biggest time/labor saver it would probably be fore me is being able to size/trim/de-crimp 5.56mm cases without handling each individual one.

The good thing about Dillon stuff, is that generally, even an old clunker machine commands a pretty decent price vs brand new, and Dillon will help you get things running even if you are missing parts, or have broken ones. They also still do machine refurbs, IIRC. So if you buy a 550 to start, and go to a 650, you can get a fair bit of your initial investment back out of the 550.

I'd probably keep mine, even if I got a 650. Caliber swaps are super fast.

Tokarev
11-22-2018, 06:21 PM
I can load 100 rounds in about eight minutes on my 650.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk