PDA

View Full Version : Week 207: Hyper Mozambique

Mr_White
03-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Week 207: Hyper Mozambique

Results may be posted until April 10th, 2017.

Designed by: SsevenN
Range: 3 yards
Target: Two USPSA Metric or IDPA
Start Position: Holstered
Rounds Fired: 12

SsevenN has generously offered his Hyper Mozambique for our use as the Drill of the Week. Let's try it! Thank you for your contribution, SsevenN!

Set up your two targets at a distance of three yards, spaced three yards apart if possible (if some other spacing is required due to range constraints, just note it when you report your results.)

Start with the gun holstered and loaded with exactly six rounds. At the start signal, draw and shoot four to the body and two to the head of one target, reload from slidelock, and shoot four to the body and two to the head of the other target. No extra shots allowed.

Your score is your time, plus any applicable penalties. A/B/-0 zone (whole head included) is no penalty. C/-1 zone is +.25 seconds per shot. D zone and misses are DQ and receive no score.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun, target and spacing used
Total raw time
Total penalties accrued
Grand total score (total raw time plus total penalties accrued)
Observations: anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

SsevenN
03-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Week 207: Hyper Mozambique

Results may be posted until April 10th, 2017.

Designed by: SsevenN
Range: 3 yards
Target: Two USPSA Metric or IDPA
Start Position: Holstered
Rounds Fired: 12

SsevenN has generously offered his Hyper Mozambique for our use as the Drill of the Week. Let's try it! Thank you for your contribution, SsevenN!

Set up your two targets at a distance of three yards, spaced three yards apart if possible (if some other spacing is required due to range constraints, just note it when you report your results.)

Start with the gun holstered and loaded with exactly six rounds. At the start signal, draw and shoot four to the body and two to the head of one target, reload from slidelock, and shoot four to the body and two to the head of the other target. No extra shots allowed.

Your score is your time, plus any applicable penalties. A/B/-0 zone (whole head included) is no penalty. C/-1 zone is +.25 seconds per shot. D zone and misses are DQ and receive no score.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun, target and spacing used
Total raw time
Total penalties accrued
Grand total score (total raw time plus total penalties accrued)
Observations: anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Mr. White you definitely ironed out the scoring metric for me on this one. Can I ask did you shoot it a few times to balance the scoring or did you just kind of work off of our conversation?

EDIT: Can't wait to shoot this after work, my rush order AIWB holster for my P30L LEM hotness is due today!!!!! Finally on the AIWB hype train!

Mr. Goodtimes
03-10-2017, 10:24 AM
I like this, I think I'll throw this in this weekend when I head to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FOG
03-10-2017, 11:33 AM
Is the starting position centered between the two targets, essentially making a triangle?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

SsevenN
03-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Is the starting position centered between the two targets, essentially making a triangle?

The way I originally designed it yes - but Mr. White is the exec on this so his final word is law.

Mr_White
03-10-2017, 03:16 PM

The way I originally designed it yes - but Mr. White is the exec on this so his final word is law.

That's how I interpreted it and that's how I shot it. Let's go with that!

Mr_White
03-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Mr. White you definitely ironed out the scoring metric for me on this one. Can I ask did you shoot it a few times to balance the scoring or did you just kind of work off of our conversation?

EDIT: Can't wait to shoot this after work, my rush order AIWB holster for my P30L LEM hotness is due today!!!!! Finally on the AIWB hype train!

I just went off our conversation. The mechanics were pretty easy to work out when you said the priority was to emphasize fluid draws and reloads.

SsevenN
03-10-2017, 03:43 PM
I just went off our conversation. The mechanics were pretty easy to work out when you said the priority was to emphasize fluid draws and reloads.

I hope this is appropriate - if not let me know and I'll delete it, but if anyone is curious about the original, much more clumsy and punishing scoring mechanic and wants to try it is as follows:

From concealment, 2 mags loaded 6 rounds each, par timer set for 6 seconds. Two USPSA metric targets 3 yards down range 3ish yards apart

On the buzzer draw and fire 4 the the A zone thoracic then 2 to the A zone credit card, slide lock reload and repeat on target #2.

Score is pass fail, you need 100% Alphas and inside the 6 second par time. (I set the passing score just outside of what I was capable of running while testing this)

Mr_White
03-10-2017, 05:16 PM
I hope this is appropriate - if not let me know and I'll delete it, but if anyone is curious about the original, much more clumsy and punishing scoring mechanic and wants to try it is as follows:

From concealment, 2 mags loaded 6 rounds each, par timer set for 6 seconds. Two USPSA metric targets 3 yards down range 3ish yards apart

On the buzzer draw and fire 4 the the A zone thoracic then 2 to the A zone credit card, slide lock reload and repeat on target #2.

Score is pass fail, you need 100% Alphas and inside the 6 second par time. (I set the passing score just outside of what I was capable of running while testing this)

I don't think that's inappropriate at all. I would have shot it a little differently if it were written to require upper A-zone shots - I went with the whole head like we talked about. Maybe I'll shoot it again while this is still open...

Anyway, here's what I did do.

Gun, target and spacing used: Gen3 G34, USPSA Metric, 3 yard spacing
Total raw time: 4.54
Total penalties accrued: 0
Grand total score (total raw time plus total penalties accrued): 4.54
Observations: Fun drill. Definitely puts a premium on the draw and reload (relaxation.) Draw was 0.80, reload was 1.55 - my support hand slipped regripping the gun and I messed that up a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gaHg1N6-VU

MVS
03-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Well I know what my dry work will look like tonight.

SsevenN
03-10-2017, 08:06 PM
I don't think that's inappropriate at all. I would have shot it a little differently if it were written to require upper A-zone shots - I went with the whole head like we talked about. Maybe I'll shoot it again while this is still open...

Anyway, here's what I did do.

Gun, target and spacing used: Gen3 G34, USPSA Metric, 3 yard spacing
Total raw time: 4.54
Grand total score (total raw time plus total penalties accrued): 4.54
Observations: Fun drill. Definitely puts a premium on the draw and reload (relaxation.) Draw was 0.80, reload was 1.55 - my support hand slipped regripping the gun and I messed that up a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gaHg1N6-VU

Mr. White can I ask do you bother tracking the front sight at this distance or is it Kinesthetic shooting for you?

DG12
03-10-2017, 08:25 PM
P30 V2, IDPA, 3 yards
Total raw time: 7.52
Grand total score (total raw time plus total penalties accrued): 7.52
Observations: Fun drill. Slooow draw and reload. The reload I'm not so surprised about as I don't practice those near enough. But, the draw was very slow. I was shocked at how deliberate and slow I looked on video (my first time videoing myself). Great drill and thanks for posting this one!

Pro tip of the day: Never post your times shortly after Mr_White...

https://vimeo.com/207881170

SsevenN
03-10-2017, 08:55 PM
P30 V2, IDPA, 3 yards
snip

Hey DG12 - I logged in my vimeo account but it says I don't have permission to watch?

DG12
03-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Sorry! I've never posted a video before here, or anywhere. I tried to make it where you just hit play and not have to go anywhere to log in. Let me see if I can fix it. Stand by.

DG12
03-10-2017, 09:02 PM

Hopefully this works.

SsevenN
03-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Hopefully this works.

Yes sir, threat clear. (old magpul reference)

Nice consistent presentation and reloads and great control of the recoil. I think you could have gamed it and shot much faster and gotten in to the 6 second club with that kind of accuracy. EDIT to clarify - you're very very accurate and consistent here.

Also your targets seem way further than 3 yards apart - which actually makes it harder, just sayin.

Also edited to add a comment to Mr. White so I don't have to slam fire posts

Mr. White if you ran it with my original draconian rules I would be grateful, I'm curious how much performance a person can dig out of such restrictive metric.

DG12
03-10-2017, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it good or bad. I don't know if you could tell in the video, but the wind was freaking howling. The target on the right was blown over and I picked it back up and sort of eyeballed at 3 yards. I'll try again this weekend if I can.

SsevenN
03-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it good or bad. I don't know if you could tell in the video, but the wind was freaking howling. The target on the right was blown over and I picked it back up and sort of eyeballed at 3 yards. I'll try again this weekend if I can.

Your camera mic is much better than mine because it certainly wasn't pronounced on the audio, that said now that you have mentioned it, it's very visible on the tree branches.

SsevenN
03-10-2017, 11:43 PM
OK this is the up front disclaimer - this is a heavily narrated chain of (3) videos and only the final video is the actual DOTW.

I've decided this is the proper way to format this post for two primary reasons.

1) I have, for better or worse made a bit of a first impression on this forum with my recent experiences with my FNH FNS pistols and these videos address some thoughts along those lines

2) the way I narrated my shooting stages was flawed and without the inclusion of all 3 they don't make much sense and my commentary is flawed

Before I post the videos I want to say - if you are interested in the raw shooting go right to video 3 - it's fairly concise and I do 5 runs, None of the runs are particularly worthy of cherry picking as best.

My thoughts not expressed via narration in my vid are as follows..

It will be some time before I stop inducing minor malfunctions on things like slide lock reloads - the videos cover why that is.

I like this (duh) but I won't be running it again any time soon, simply put the stressed skills here can be reproduced on the cheap nightly with dry fire, a shot timer, snap caps and something to keep my from going mad on the tv.

I'm actually concerned if I ran this too much it would hurt all the very forced and conscious training I've done to command my eyes and brain to stare at the front sight rather than the target and STAY ON FOLLOW THROUGH- I used to shoot my steel very kinesthetically and while it was very very fast I never penalized myself for misses and that's what that kind of shooting failed to address.

Also when I basically ONLY shot on a timer against steel I got very conditioned to an auditory instant feedback - paper is more more real as human aggressors don't go PING when shot and I have worked tirelessly to get my brain on point with front sight front sight front sight - don't want to undermine that now.

Now this is the part I really am curious about - is the way I am formatting/delivering content in these videos at all conducive towards continued interest and is it keeping with good faith of the general practices of the community here? (I'm new sorry I go in head first to everything in life, but I would love to be accepted rather than isolate myself) I swear a lot, horse around a bit, get satirical, ironic and even meme at times, are these things you guys like to see or should I start releasing edited versions specifically for this forum that are shooting content focused only with no input or horseplay?

Lastly the vids.

Oh P.S. A girl was (according to the only eye witness who happened to be the driver) flung out of a truck on to pavement on my way back from this trip, I was on scene trying to stop the moron from moving her around while trying to shout her name and clap her back to consciousness, when the (first) cops arrived and they assessed she was shot in the back of the head (I don't think she was, but that's what the first responding officer relayed)...I was covered in gun powder residue and had the gear in these vids on my hip under the same shitty unzipped concealment sweat shirt with a stick of 115 grain +P Cor-Bon DPX in the gun with one in the chamber. Needless to say I did my good Samaritan bit and NOPED out as soon as possible lol.

OK THE VIDS please watch all 3 - I am going to make sure I narrate in a modular way so it is not required to watch everything I do to understand my thoughts on the DOTW in the future - also I will be starting a training journal thread to quarantine my assshattery., if you are curious about my strange attitude towards transitioning to the HK please see the autoloaders board in the hardware section, the thread will be difficult to miss. But I don't want to link it because of self imposed punishment.

WOW SSEVENN HOW COME YOUR MOM LETS YOU SUFFER TWO DANGEROUS FAILURES THE SAME WEEK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m_4fO05ntM
COLD FAST - TOTAL HOT GARBAGE - NARRATION IS RELEVANT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8XXSnFUNmE
MAIN SHOW - CHERRY PICKED BEST SCORE IS - ??? Mr. White has to ref this one hehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K54ObvOXgyo

Kevin B.
03-11-2017, 04:18 PM
I probably don't shoot enough at 3 yards so I decided to run this with my G17 carried OWB. I shot a 5.94, clean. Fun drill.

SsevenN
03-11-2017, 11:09 PM
I probably don't shoot enough at 3 yards so I decided to run this with my G17 carried OWB. I shot a 5.94, clean. Fun drill.

That's lightning, sorry I'm new so not familiar but what's your set up? (gear)

Kevin B.
03-12-2017, 09:51 AM
That's lightning, sorry I'm new so not familiar but what's your set up? (gear)

Nothing special. The gun is Gen4 G17 with Heinie Ledge sights carried under a flannel shirt in an old Comp-Tac slide holster and the reload was from a Comp-tac single mag pouch.

MVS
03-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Gun, target and spacing used : G17 MOS w/DPP, USPSA target with 3 yard spacing.
Total raw time : 7.12
Total penalties accrued : 0
Grand total score (total raw time plus total penalties accrued) : 7.12
Observations: anything you noticed: This one read easier for me than it turned out. Part of the problem was that I just didn't shoot it fast enough. All my hits were A's even the head shots. Should have used the whole target on head like it said. Other problem was reload which really shouldn't be since you can do most of that work dry. Something that effects that though is that when I dry work reloads it is either from my USPSA gear or my EDC gear and in a nice warm house. I shot this in my USPSA gear but with a lot of layers including a sweater and coat that were getting in the way. I know, whine, whine, whine.

Gun, target and spacing used : Ruger 1911 OWB holster, USPSA target spaced 3 yards apart.
Total raw time : 7.92
Total penalties accrued : 0
Grand total score (total raw time plus total penalties accrued) : 7.92
Observations: anything you noticed : Pretty much the same as above. I do have to slow down with the .45 a little as I am not used to working with the heavier recoil with only around 1,000 rounds through this, my only 1911.

JCS
03-22-2017, 08:26 AM
Gun, target and spacing used: Glock 19 w/ trijicon hds, jmck George. Uspsa targets spaced 3 yards apart.
Total raw time: 7.58, 7.04, 6.65 videod first two runs only. Should've done the last one!
Grand total score (total raw time plus total penalties accrued): 7.58, 7.04, 6.65
Observations: here is the video
https://youtu.be/rNDYh7SwHeI

My first run had a few issues. I forgot I needed to reload before the second target. My gun didn't lock back (grip issues) I feel like I recovered fairly quickly once I realized it didn't lock back. Second run went better. My reloads need improvement. In need to keep the gun higher to get back on target faster.

This is a really fun drill. Because it's a three Yards I could shoot fast (for me). Who doesn't like to do that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_White
03-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Mr. White can I ask do you bother tracking the front sight at this distance or is it Kinesthetic shooting for you?

Sorry SsevenN, this slipped by me before.

I pretty much shoot with a hard front sight focus at any distance where I am fully extending the gun - so pretty much anything beyond two arms' lengths. Shot that way in this drill. Three yards is close enough that factually, a lot of times I could get away with not bothering to get hard/sharp/clear focus on the front sight. But my shooting is simply night-and-day better when I do get hard/sharp/clear focus on the front sight so I pretty much just do that.

KG
03-24-2017, 01:45 PM
Beretta 92G, USPSA targets, three yards, one yard spacing due to range constraints
Total raw time: 7.03
No penalties
Grand total score: 7.03
Split times: 1.48/.24/.24/.20/.37/.35/2.69/.25/.23/.23/.49/.26

Quick, fun drill. I would like to try it again with 3 yard spacing. My draw time and reload time have improved in the past few weeks. I'm happy with the progress.

That Guy
04-09-2017, 12:13 PM
I did this three times in a row today.

I shot with my Beretta PX4 full size 9mm, shooting IDPA targets at damn near three yards apart (265cm to be precise...), from concealment.
Raw times were 8.13s (bad reload) with 0.25s penalty, 7.36 clean, 6.90s with 0.25s penalty.
So total scores were: 8.38s, 7.36s, 7.15s
Observations: I don't know how to shoot from three yards away. I keep wanting either to aim or start moving back. Also, my slide lock reloads suck. (Today was pretty much the first time this year the ground in the outdoor range I shoot in wasn't too nasty to dump magazines to. So I've got a grand total of one slide lock reload under time pressure under my belt for this year, prior to today.) I had left 3x5" post-it notes to the head boxes since I was running low on time. Turns out if they are there I want to aim for them, whether I need to or not...

This was a fun drill. I'm going to make this into an IDPA stage.

thedarnmike
04-10-2017, 12:32 PM
G34, USPSA, 1 yard spacing
Raw time: 5.91
Penalties: 0
Total: 5.91
Observations: need to be more target focused need work on draw. saved time by transitioning my hips while performing the reload.

scw2
04-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Shot this from a 50 yd indoor range so had to go with 1 target and keep the body and head close together. Offset it slightly by using a B8 instead of the more generous body. I figured it shouldn't impact time too much on the body, but realize the transition may be impacted more.

Shot with a CZ 75 SP-01 from my CCC Gestalt holster.

Total raw time: 6.32 sec
Total penalties accrued: I scored two penalties. One shot left on the body, and one low on the head that landed high on the B8.
Grand total score = 6.82 sec
Observations: Needed to tighten up on grip post reload so I don't drop shots and incur penalties. :( Even though only one penalty on head box, two barely squeaked in.