PDA

View Full Version : I Wanna Load Fast

Luke
03-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Dillon super 1050 press
Only loading 9mm
In between Bullets right now, H&S has been treating me well.
I have been loading 10 grains of accurate #7 (9 MAJOR) but an experimenting with HS6
Lee undersizing die with the rest Dillon carbide. Plan to swap to Redding micrometer seating die.
All I've ever used was CCI small pistol, and now I use CCI small rifle due to pressure.
I was loading to 1.175 with the 125's. New 115's are at 1.160 and seem to run a lot smoother. This gun needs short
I believe the accurate #7 may not be temp stable. When it was cold they were at 172 and now they are at 185PF.
I want a load that runs the gun straight and is semi flat.
Results have been mixed so far. No smoke really and accuracy has been good. Getting to gun to run is another story.

Got the press used, needs a new index paw (ordered a upgraded one) and needs a new toolhead return spring. Doing research on which spring I should go with.

Once o get a load I like I need to clean the press and set it up for that load. The bullet feeder also needs to be tuned if
I plan to run these 115's, getting some upside down boolits.

Overall I'm very happy with my swap to the 1050. I think everyone should start with a 650 unless your pretty mechanically inclined and have a lot of common sense.

#Dillon1050 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Dillon1050)

Flintsky
03-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Dillon super 1050 press
Only loading 9mm
I have been loading 10 grains of accurate #7 (9 MAJOR) but an experimenting with HS6
Lee undersizing die with the rest Dillon carbide. Plan to swap to Redding micrometer seating die.
All I've ever used was CCI small pistol, and now I use CCI small rifle due to pressure.
I was loading to 1.175 with the 125's. New 115's are at 1.160 and seem to run a lot smoother. This gun needs short
I believe the accurate #7 may not be temp stable. When it was cold they were at 172 and now they are at 185PF.
Results have been mixed so far. No smoke really and accuracy has been good. Getting to gun to run is another story.

Got the press used, needs a new index paw (ordered a upgraded one) and needs a new toolhead return spring. Doing research on which spring I should go with.

Once o get a load I like I need to clean the press and set it up for that load. The bullet feeder also needs to be tuned if

Overall I'm very happy with my swap to the 1050. I think everyone should start with a 650 unless your pretty mechanically inclined and have a lot of common sense.

How fast do you estimate you are loading with that setup? I pretty much only load 9mm now days, and I am debating selling off my 550b at getting a 650 with case feeder to speed up my process.

Luke
03-06-2017, 11:04 AM
With my 650 and no bullet feeder I once hit 100 in like 4 minutes and 30 seconds. That was primo brass and balls to the wall.

Before I can run the 1050 fast I need to tweak it and add the new index paw, it doesn't quite make it all the way into its proper "station" and the align rod helps finish it up, I get just a hair of spilled powder if I go fast due to theses issues so I don't load fast. I'm also loading an almost all the way full 9mm case so this wouldn't be an issue issue with minor.

The 1050 is smoother and easier on the arm to load. I really love no back stroke. I'd imagine this will be a lot faster than my 650 MAINLY due to the bullet feeder. I still think a 1050 with bullet and save feeder is faster than a 650 with bullet and case feeder, but probably not by a lot.

My opinion is the 1050 is awesome, the swaging is a plus, requires less force to load, no back stroke, chicks love a 1050 man.

Flintsky
03-06-2017, 11:30 AM
It think the biggest appeal for me to bump up to the 1050 would be that it has a primer pocket swager in the assembly line. At least half of the 9mm cases I get have primer crimps, and about half of those need to be swaged out before seating a primer. Usually I will just pull a case off the assembly line(or just rotate it to help the alignment) and swag it out if I encounter that seating resistance and move on. I'm guessing that running the 650 with case feeder and full auto index that that process will not work. The process doesn't slow me down a whole lot on the 550b, but it is just one more thing that mentally makes the process take longer.

I might just have to consider a 1050 with case and bullet feeder in the near future.

Luke
03-07-2017, 08:34 AM
New load

Do aperently I have a really fast barrel (KKM .355). Chronoed the three loads I worked up with HS6 and 115's. 9.0, 9.3, & 9.5.

Like a good little loader I wrote nothing down and just kinda found an average number to use as the PF for that load. 9.0 was like 179PF and 9.5 was 190PF!!!

Settled on 8.8gr on HS6 with a 115 plated bullet at 1.160 with a .376 "crimp".
Gun is a 2011 open gun, KKM .355 barrel with 2 popple holes and a 2 chamber 4port compensator.

Gonna sight in sometime this week and hope they are accurate. After Alabama state I will fine tune and do more testing. I hate being rushed!

Bullets

It's so much nicer loading plated bullets, I think I'm going to switch to precision deltas 115 JHP. Price isn't too bad and I'm done with lead in my open gun.

GuanoLoco
03-07-2017, 08:42 AM
Dillon super 1050 press
Only loading 9mm

You should use up the 3 of so Dillon 1050 Toolhead springs I have laying around as I don't use springs with the 1050.

Also, I have a less worn index pawl if you are in a hurry.

LittleLebowski
03-07-2017, 08:46 AM
Doesn't the upgraded pawl wear on the stock shell plate pretty badly?

GuanoLoco
03-07-2017, 08:52 AM
I eventually replaced the index pawl with the upgraded/hardened one from F&FB, as well as the shell plate itself (for both 9mm and 223). The old one was a bit worn after many 10's of thousands of rounds but still worked.

http://fastandfriendlybrass.com/shop/item.aspx/ffb-heavy-duty-index-pawl-for-dillon-rl-super-1050/27/

busdriver
03-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Jesus dude. 8.8 was 177pf in my gun (fast is kkm standard from what I can tell), as long as your SD supports it, I'd bet you'll like it better in the 170-175 range.

Luke
03-07-2017, 09:47 AM
You should use up the 3 of so Dillon 1050 Toolhead springs I have laying around as I don't use springs with the 1050.

Also, I have a less worn index pawl if you are in a hurry.

I'd love to buy one from you! The index paw from the fast brass and friendly or whatever should be here soon. I took the shell plate off last night and the index paw looks fine but it's not indexing far enough, stop screw is out all the way. Found some interesting things on dillons website on adjusting it.

This is why I called you last night :( but no... a board of directors meeting is more important than getting my 1050 running.. I'll remember this next time you want to give me stuff and help me

:)

Luke
03-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Jesus dude. 8.8 was 177pf in my gun (fast is kkm standard from what I can tell), as long as your SD supports it, I'd bet you'll like it better in the 170-175 range.

SD?

CCT125US
03-07-2017, 09:57 AM
SD?

Standard deviation, I assume. I must have missed it, but what gun are you shooting 180PF from?

Luke
03-07-2017, 10:08 AM
That's what I've always heard SD referenced as but didn't think it made sense?

2011 STI based open gun

Big bad race car. Didn't blow apart at 190PF. That made me happy.

GuanoLoco
03-07-2017, 10:19 AM
I'd love to buy one from you! The index paw from the fast brass and friendly or whatever should be here soon. I took the shell plate off last night and the index paw looks fine but it's not indexing far enough, stop screw is out all the way. Found some interesting things on dillons website on adjusting it.

This is why I called you last night :( but no... a board of directors meeting is more important than getting my 1050 running.. I'll remember this next time you want to give me stuff and help me

:)

Sometimes I'm just like that.

I'll go dig in my bag 'o 1050 tricks when I get a minute. Give you a bonus deal...

busdriver
03-07-2017, 10:43 AM
SD?
Yep standard deviation. Loading to 2 standard devs above the pf floor means you'll have a 90% chance of passing chrono, 2.5=95%, 3=97%

GuanoLoco
03-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Lookie what I found.

Luke
03-07-2017, 03:40 PM
I <3 the guanoloco

LittleLebowski
03-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Fuck it, post pics of the new hotness.

Luke
03-11-2017, 10:14 PM
I will when I get around that sexy thang

Luke
03-24-2017, 12:03 AM
My press hates me

Took me 2 hours to load 300 rounds tonight. Had plans for more but gave up. Every little thing that could have gone wrong did, and it started right from the beginning :(

That said, press is cleaner, tighter, better setter upper, smoother, lubier. So that's a good thing.

GuanoLoco
03-24-2017, 12:10 AM
My press hates me

Took me 2 hours to load 300 rounds tonight. Had plans for more but gave up. Every little thing that could have gone wrong did, and it started right from the beginning :(

That said, press is cleaner, tighter, better setter upper, smoother, lubier. So that's a good thing.

I have spent many a night tooning my press and processes. It gets better.

Luke
03-24-2017, 12:12 AM
I have spent many a night tooning my press and processes. It gets better.

That it does. I also
Ran across a lot of freedom munition stepped brass that won't make it past the swage backup die, good that it stops but lame still.

Comp came loose on open gun too :( gotta figure out what liquid to use on making it not loose!

Sal Picante
03-24-2017, 01:47 PM
Doesn't the upgraded pawl wear on the stock shell plate pretty badly?

No.

JM Campbell
03-24-2017, 03:19 PM
That it does. I also
Ran across a lot of freedom munition stepped brass that won't make it past the swage backup die, good that it stops but lame still.

Comp came loose on open gun too :( gotta figure out what liquid to use on making it not loose!

Have you tried rocksett?
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/thread-locking-liquids/rocksett-prod54624.aspx

I have used it to secure suppressor mounts on 556, 300blk, 308 and 6.5creedmore rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke
03-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Have you tried rocksett?
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/thread-locking-liquids/rocksett-prod54624.aspx

I have used it to secure suppressor mounts on 556, 300blk, 308 and 6.5creedmore rifles.

Gonna try some red loctite first, then green, then rockset lol.

JM Campbell
03-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Rocksett is a vibration inhibitor, part of your issue along with heat.

busdriver
03-24-2017, 05:41 PM
Make sure the slide isn't hitting the comp as it returns to battery.

Luke
03-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Rocksett is a vibration inhibitor, part of your issue along with heat.

I'll probably end up ordering some I just need to shoot it tomorrow lol

Make sure the slide isn't hitting the comp as it returns to battery.

I was gonna use a piece of paper, what do you think?

busdriver
03-24-2017, 06:34 PM
I was gonna use a piece of paper, what do you think?
Take this with a grain of salt:
You've been shooting it, so you should be able to look at the back of the comp and see if there's marking evidence, it'll look different where there's contact, if there is. Even if the comp doesn't touch the slide in battery, it's possible the slide is hitting the comp as it's closing, before the link swings the barrel into lockup. Keep in mind the barrel tilt. Paper is fine to check it in battery, but ease the slide forward with the barrel pointed up. See if the comp is the first thing the slide touches. It should be the hood. You can also sharpie the back side of the comp and cycle it a couple times to see if the sharpie marks away.

I knocked a comp loose on a CK gun. The ass end of the TI comp had shiny parts where the slide was hitting rather than the blasted surface everywhere else. I ended up filing the back side of the comp (up top where it was touching only) a few thousandths until the hood was the first part that touches. That was back in October I think, still on tight with plane jane red loctite. The gap when in battery is somewhere around 10 thou now.

Luke
03-27-2017, 08:20 PM

Loaded 500 real quick and case guaged 300 of them for a match Saturday.
Tightened my shell plate a hair and ran it fast, does a lot better. Managed 100 rounds in 3 minutes.
Powder funnel need some attention/replacement.

Press

Still need to replace the tool head return spring
Need to mess with powder funnel
Play with shell plate tightness some more
Load more ammo

Chrono

Need to chrono these rounds and make sure I'm legal for area 6.

GuanoLoco
03-27-2017, 08:49 PM
>> Still need to replace the tool head return spring

Come and get it or I'll try to remember to put it in my range bag.

>> Need to mess with powder funnel

MBF funnel? Try 0.389" for MBF Funnel and coated 9mm.

>> Play with shell plate tightness some more

Why? I have a needle bearing kit for a 1050 I'm not currently using. Have you done the tie wrap mod?

>> Load more ammo

Yesssss.....

>> Need to chrono these rounds and make sure I'm legal for area 6.[/QUOTE]

Tues or Wed, Thu HTF and Fri I'm off to Gabe's class.

Luke
03-27-2017, 11:11 PM
This is why I love you and you get the Friday soecail for $20 cheaper than everyone else.

Luke
04-17-2017, 09:21 PM
Complacency

: self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies When it comes to safety, complacency can be dangerous

So tonight I loaded for area 6. Normally you would load a few and then check everything and then start crankin them out. Tonight I skipped that part. The tool head bolt was loose. I loaded every round .25 over OAL.

Sad face is sad. I'm out of bullets. Guanoloco says to reseat them, I'm worried something might be wrong with them beyond OAL. My tiny brain says there's not enough powder in them even though there is. This always happens before a major, always a mini crisis.