PDA

View Full Version : Feel good watch story

voodoo_man
03-03-2017, 01:21 PM
https://youtu.be/li0mRLcGbU8

Moral of the story? Listen to your sergeant.

;)

vcdgrips
03-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Google says that 125.00 in 1960 (approx. price paid) is worth 1005.00 thru 12/31/16. I would note that a decent used coke bezel GMT of fairly recent vintage is 6000.00ish all day long, a price point that 6x the rate of inflation.

Despite the "value proposition" of this and my profound love for my Omega Seamaster GMT, I would be lying if I did not say I continue to lust after a Rolex.

voodoo_man
03-03-2017, 05:48 PM
Google says that 125.00 in 1960 (approx. price paid) is worth 1005.00 thru 12/31/16. I would note that a decent used coke bezel GMT of fairly recent vintage is 6000.00ish all day long, a price point that 6x the rate of inflation.

Despite the "value proposition" of this and my profound love for my Omega Seamaster GMT, I would be lying if I did not say I continue to lust after a Rolex.

Never liked Rolex personally, never really saw the appeal. But I understand why people like them and their pedigree.

Omega is my favorite of the entry level brands.

LockedBreech
03-03-2017, 06:13 PM
I confess that the watch world is one I truly do not understand. My basic $200-400 Citizen and Bulova watches look nice and are tough, and that's all I really need.

However, there is also a market for Ferraris and a market for $100,000 custom hunting shotguns, and I'll never shop those markets either. I'm just happy there's another hobby that brings people joy!

voodoo_man
03-03-2017, 06:48 PM
I confess that the watch world is one I truly do not understand. My basic $200-400 Citizen and Bulova watches look nice and are tough, and that's all I really need.

However, there is also a market for Ferraris and a market for $100,000 custom hunting shotguns, and I'll never shop those markets either. I'm just happy there's another hobby that brings people joy!

This is a conversation people always have on this topic...

The car analogy is best to explain it in my opinion....A geo tracker gets you from A to B the same as a 911 GT3. But when you can afford and or can justify a 911 GT3, will you ever buy the geo?

I also enjoy this quote - "luxury once tasted becomes necessity."

LockedBreech
03-03-2017, 08:39 PM
This is a conversation people always have on this topic...

The car analogy is best to explain it in my opinion....A geo tracker gets you from A to B the same as a 911 GT3. But when you can afford and or can justify a 911 GT3, will you ever buy the geo?

I also enjoy this quote - "luxury once tasted becomes necessity."

Hey, I'm a capitalist man, however folks wanna spend money is just groovy with me. It's just the dollar amounts that pop my eyes out. Perhaps when I have more savings/investments/am further along in life my perspective will change accordingly.

Edit: And to address the OP, I'm psyched for that guy, what an awesome surprise. Hope he hangs on to it.

NEPAKevin
03-04-2017, 11:08 AM
But when you can afford and or can justify a 911 GT3, will you ever buy the geo?

Unless you want your maid and the pool boy burning out the Porsche's clutch when they run errands...

Crawls
03-04-2017, 10:03 PM
The Antique Roadshow is a guilty pleasure of mine. I get silly excited for the folks that find out their dust collector is worth a fortune.

...Omega is my favorite of the entry level brands.

I must be in the wrong line of work. I fail to comprehend how an Omega can be considered "entry level." Well, I'll grant you the Seamaster Quartz.

voodoo_man
03-04-2017, 10:06 PM
The Antique Roadshow is a guilty pleasure of mine. I get silly excited for the folks that find out their dust collector is worth a fortune.

I must be in the wrong line of work. I fail to comprehend how an Omega can be considered "entry level." Well, I'll grant you the Seamaster Quartz.

It's definitely entry level on the grand scale of watch brands.

Seeing as an entry level AP will run you in the 20s and then it goes up pretty quickly.

There are plenty of watch brands which do not have iconic and multi generational designs, but Omega does and they aren't expensive for what you are getting. A moonwatch or good seamaster was a good watch 50 years ago, it is today and will likely be still in 50.

Crawls
03-04-2017, 10:54 PM
It's definitely entry level on the grand scale of watch brands.

Seeing as an entry level AP will run you in the 20s and then it goes up pretty quickly.

There are plenty of watch brands which do not have iconic and multi generational designs, but Omega does and they aren't expensive for what you are getting. A moonwatch or good seamaster was a good watch 50 years ago, it is today and will likely be still in 50.

I'm well aware of the astronomical cost of some fine watches. But I do not believe that increasing price moves any watch brand up on an imaginary scale of watches. The iconic design of Speedmaster and the innovation behind watches like the PloProf place Omega brand well above entry level [to me]. That heritage is part of the draw, and you seem to recognize that in your post. I'm aware that my personal preference in watches differes from other watch dorks, but calling Omega entry level is really a stretch.

voodoo_man
03-04-2017, 11:31 PM
I'm well aware of the astronomical cost of some fine watches. But I do not believe that increasing price moves any watch brand up on an imaginary scale of watches. The iconic design of Speedmaster and the innovation behind watches like the PloProf place Omega brand well above entry level [to me]. That heritage is part of the draw, and you seem to recognize that in your post. I'm aware that my personal preference in watches differes from other watch dorks, but calling Omega entry level is really a stretch.

Cool your jets, cowboy. No need to get upset over something so trivial.

There is no official ratings scale for watches it doesn't exist because it would be extremely difficult to maintain with all the brands.

It is true that as a company Omega is a mid range luxury brand when looked at as a whole, it has, however many cheap gray market entry level watches. You can find a seamaster or pro for under $1500. For a luxury watch, that's entry level.

Please do not mix the various categories of watches out there. An entry level luxury watch is often more expensive than a top tier tool watch (Lumtec) or a utility watch (Suunto or Garmin). There are prestige level watches like the multi tourbillion types and the perpetual Pateks and ALS's.

Would you say that Movado is an entry level watch? Is it luxury? Some new movados are more expensive than gray market omegas.

There are a lot of facets to the watch game and there is a reason why there are hundreds of brands fitting into many categories. Most who view watch brands like to put them into one or two categories (luxury and not), but we know that's not the case.

HopetonBrown
03-04-2017, 11:53 PM
In the watch world, Omega is entry level. Over the past 10 years they've been trying to go higher end, because less people are buying watches to know the time, and more as a status symbol.

One of my first "nice" watches was a Seamaster GMT. My last nice watch was an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore. Things escalated quickly. I don't really have any interest in Omega today. For not a whole lot more you can buy a used Jaeger-LeCoultre.

voodoo_man
03-05-2017, 12:00 AM
In the watch world, Omega is entry level. Over the past 10 years they've been trying to go higher end, because less people are buying watches to know the time, and more as a status symbol.

One of my first "nice" watches was a Seamaster GMT. My last nice watch was an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore. Things escalated quickly. I don't really have any interest in Omega today. For not a whole lot more you can buy a used Jaeger-LeCoultre.

JLC makes a fine time piece.

I find something always looking for something new but constantly going back to my favorites like a moonwatch and the like...

Crawls
03-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Cool your jets, cowboy. No need to get upset over something so trivial.

There is no heat here. Just discussion.

SD
03-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Hi mine names Steve and I'm a "watch alcoholic". My collection ranges from a $50. Orient upwards to 5K Tutima. In theory I don't own these watches I only rent them. It has taken me almost 2, decades to refine my tastes in what I desire. For me its a twelve hour watch with sweeping second hand. From tool through the dress, if they appeal eventually they end up in my watch box. Currently I have my eye on the new Explorer or should I say updated version that features lume on the hour markers and a minute hand that is long enough to clearly point at the minute. The watch is priced at $6550. Unlike the the Soldier leaving Germany in the 1960s, this watch will never appreciate as his watch has.