PDA

View Full Version : Week 206: Control

Mr_White
03-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Week 206: Control

Results may be posted until April 3rd, 2017.

Designed by: Gabe White, inspired by Rob Leatham
Range: 7 and 15 yards
Target: USPSA Metric or IDPA
Start Position: Facing downrange, shooter's choice of hands either hanging naturally, at high torso, or surrender
Rounds Fired: 48
Procedure: Start facing downrange with handgun loaded with at least six rounds and holstered. Upon start signal, draw and engage the target with six rounds. More details below.

For this drill of the week, we'll shoot the classic Bill Drill four times each at two different distances, for a total of eight runs. But, each of the four runs at 7 yards and each of the four runs at 15 yards will be scored completely differently. This drill is an exercise in efficiency and control with different optimal combinations of accuracy and speed. Concealment is optional.

String 1: At 7 yards, shoot a Bill Drill and score it for Anywhere On Paper
String 2: At 7 yards, shoot a Bill Drill and score it for USPSA Hit Factor Approximation
String 3: At 7 yards, shoot a Bill Drill and score it for New IDPA Scoring
String 4: At 7 yards, shoot a Bill Drill and score it for All As or DQ
String 5: At 15 yards, shoot a Bill Drill and score it for Anywhere On Paper
String 6: At 15 yards, shoot a Bill Drill and score it for USPSA Hit Factor Approximation
String 7: At 15 yards, shoot a Bill Drill and score it for New IDPA Scoring
String 8: At 15 yards, shoot a Bill Drill and score it for All As or DQ

Score each string individually, then total them.

For the Anywhere On Paper drills, hits anywhere on the entire silhouette incur no penalty and misses are +10 seconds. Your score is your raw time plus penalties for any misses.

For the USPSA Hit Factor Approximation drills, hits to the A/-0 zone = no penalty, B/C/-1 zone = +.25 second per shot, D/-3 zone = +1 second per shot, Misses = +10 seconds per shot. Your score is your raw time plus penalties for hits outside the A/-0 zone.

For the New IDPA Scoring drills, hits to the A/-0 zone = no penalty, B/C/-1 zone = +1 second per shot, D/-3 zone = +3 seconds per shot, Misses = +10 seconds per shot. Your score is your raw time plus penalties for hits outside the A/-0 zone.

For the All As or DQ drills, hits to the A/-0 zone = no penalty, B/C/-1/D/-3 zones/Misses = +1000 seconds per shot. Your score is your raw time plus penalties for hits outside the A/-0 zone.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used - gun, holster, concealment (if any), USPSA Metric or IDPA target
7 yard raw time and penalties for the Anywhere On Paper drill
7 yard raw time and penalties for the USPSA Hit Factor Approximation drill
7 yard raw time and penalties for the New IDPA Scoring drill
7 yard raw time and penalties for the All As or DQ drill
15 yard raw time and penalties for the Anywhere On Paper drill
15 yard raw time and penalties for the USPSA Hit Factor Approximation drill
15 yard raw time and penalties for the New IDPA Scoring drill
15 yard raw time and penalties for the All As or DQ drill
Grand Total Score (raw time and penalties for all eight strings combined)
Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Mr_White
03-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Gen3 G34, concealed in a Keeper under a polo shirt, USPSA Metric target

7 yard raw time and penalties for the Anywhere On Paper drill: 1.95 5A1C = 1.95

7 yard raw time and penalties for the USPSA Hit Factor Approximation drill: 1.98 5A1C, + .25 = 2.23

7 yard raw time and penalties for the New IDPA Scoring drill: 2.09 6A = 2.09

7 yard raw time and penalties for the All As or DQ drill: 2.46 6A = 2.46

15 yard raw time and penalties for the Anywhere On Paper drill: 2.04 5A1C = 2.04

15 yard raw time and penalties for the USPSA Hit Factor Approximation drill: 2.40 4A2C, + .50 = 2.90

15 yard raw time and penalties for the New IDPA Scoring drill: 2.63 5A1B, + 1.00 = 3.63

15 yard raw time and penalties for the All As or DQ drill: 3.79 6A = 3.79

Grand Total Score (raw time and penalties for all eight strings combined): 21.09

Anything you noticed: I think my balls-to-the-wall fast shooting is pretty slow. I can't believe I tried to go as fast as I could with almost no regard to accuracy and ended up with 5A1C in 1.95 at 7 yards, and 5A1C in 2.04 at 15 yards. Tension and habit are crazy things sometimes I guess...

SsevenN
03-04-2017, 08:06 PM
https://youtu.be/FiQrw60xFiE

Equipment used - gun, holster, concealment (if any), USPSA Metric or IDPA target

FNH FNS-40L, Safariland opentopped passive retention holster, Gould universal mag pouch

7 yard raw time and penalties for the Anywhere On Paper drill

2.73 seconds

7 yard raw time and penalties for the USPSA Hit Factor Approximation drill

3.30 +.50 – 3.80 seconds

7 yard raw time and penalties for the New IDPA Scoring drill

3.35 +1.00 – 4.35 seconds

7 yard raw time and penalties for the All As or DQ drill

3.83 seconds

15 yard raw time and penalties for the Anywhere On Paper drill

Mulligan/3.52 seconds

15 yard raw time and penalties for the USPSA Hit Factor Approximation drill

4.50 seconds *Personal best of the day

15 yard raw time and penalties for the New IDPA Scoring drill

4.75 + 2 – 6.65 seconds

15 yard raw time and penalties for the All As or DQ drill

DQ/DQ

Grand Total Score (raw time and penalties for all eight strings combined)

Really, really high with the DQ unfortunately

Anything you noticed

Mr. White shoots the FASTest faster than I can do a Bill drill

MVS
03-04-2017, 09:48 PM
G17 MOS w/DPP, USPSA gear, USPSA Metric target.

String 1: 2.35 4A's, 2C's = 2.35
String 2: 2.75 5A's, 1C = 3.00
String 3: 2.72 5A's, 1C = 3.72
String 4: 3.39 6A's = 3.39
String 5: 3.33 5A's, 1C = 3.33
String 6: 3.50 6A's = 3.50 (Good run for me at 15)
String 7: 4.43 5A's, 1C = 5.43
String 8: 4.63 6A's = 4.63

Grand Total Score = 29.35

Things noticed. First off, I sorta forgot about the 1 second IDPA penalty and should have shot those strings a little more carefully. My trigger finger appears to be pretty slow. I never got below a .21 split even on the wide open targets. After the drill I ran a few more Bills and the best I could come up with was a 2.25 run with 3C's. I was in a hurry because the wife and I already had tickets for the Logan movie so I didn't run it again with my iron sighted Glock. I would surmise that my 7 yard times would have been faster, but my 15 yard times would have been slower and less accurate. 15 yards is a really good distance for me and the dot. Using the Delta Point Pro I really felt like I was able to track the dot. I could see it going up and coming back down as I was firing. Not positive if it was leaving the screen at the top but don't think it was.

DG12
03-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Equipment used - P30 V2, kydex 3 o'clock concealed, IDPA target
7 yard raw time and penalties for the Anywhere On Paper drill: 2.70, 6A's
7 yard raw time and penalties for the USPSA Hit Factor Approximation drill: 3.70, 6A's
7 yard raw time and penalties for the New IDPA Scoring drill: 4.07, 6A's
7 yard raw time and penalties for the All As or DQ drill: 5.01
15 yard raw time and penalties for the Anywhere On Paper drill: 2.84, 3A's, 2C's, 1D
15 yard raw time and penalties for the USPSA Hit Factor Approximation drill: 4.71, 5A's, 1C= 4.96
15 yard raw time and penalties for the New IDPA Scoring drill: 4.32, 5A's, 1B= 5.32
15 yard raw time and penalties for the All As or DQ drill: 5.43, 6A's
Grand Total Score (raw time and penalties for all eight strings combined: 34.03

Anything you noticed: I am waaay too slow getting the first shot off and too conservative. The anywhere on paper strings messed with me. I could not make myself pull the trigger fast enough and kept wanting to get a better sight picture than what that string called for. I can tell I've been focused on accuracy and not on speed as these times were slower than I expected. On a positive note, I've recently put 10 8 front and rear sights on this gun and it's made a world of difference. Although the times weren't anything to write home about I think this is about as good as I've done in a while on tracking my sights after recoil. This was a great drill that I really learned from and highlighted some deficiencies where I need to improve. I appreciate you posting it Mr_White!

KG
03-24-2017, 02:12 PM
Beretta 92G, JMCK AIWB holster, USPSA Metric target
7 yard for the Anywhere On Paper drill:
3.01 (1.79/.25/.24/.25/.25/.23)
7 yard for the USPSA Hit Factor Approximation drill:
4.09 (2.10/.39/.38/.48/.34/.40)
7 yard for the New IDPA Scoring drill:
3.52 (1.88/.36/.35/.34/.30/.29)
7 yard for the All As or DQ drill:
3.69 (2.06/.40/.34/.31/.29/.29)
15 yard for the Anywhere On Paper drill:
2.98 (1.78/.24/.25/.25/.25/.21)
15 yard for the USPSA Hit Factor Approximation drill:
5.45 (2.42/.58/.52/.68/.53/.72)
15 yard for the New IDPA Scoring drill:
4.91 (2.32/.63/.48/.44/.51/.53)
15 yard for the All As or DQ drill:
5.23 (2.36/.69/.56/.54/.52/.56)
Grand Total Score:
32.88 (no penalties)

I should shoot this again and try to speed up when possible. With no penalties, I didn't push myself enough to get the most training out of the exercise. I'm not sure how to find the sweet spot where I can safely speed up without letting myself get sloppy. Any ideas for me?

Mr_White
03-24-2017, 02:35 PM
I should shoot this again and try to speed up when possible. With no penalties, I didn't push myself enough to get the most training out of the exercise. I'm not sure how to find the sweet spot where I can safely speed up without letting myself get sloppy. Any ideas for me?

My intention for the drill was less that it be specific practice with any one mode of shooting, and more be an exploration of different levels of care. I don't think "Anywhere On Paper" is a good way to shoot in many circumstances that immediately spring to mind even though it is part of the spectrum of levels of care. I think "All As or DQ" isn't a good way to shoot either, in some circumstances, but I can easily think of some where it's the only way to go. And I don't think the drill provides much practice with any of the shooting modes it entails. If anything, the thing actually practiced is modulating the level of care applied. And it's about exploration. A shooter might find that they have a particularly strong combination of speed and accuracy with one or another of those levels of care and that might be a useful observation. In my case, I found that I gained very little time from accepting hits "Anywhere On Paper", and came away from it with my belief reinforced that absent a context that gives rise to an "All As or DQ" requirement, the strongest combination of time and accuracy for me comes from having a low level of tolerance for minor error, somewhere in the vicinity of "USPSA Hit Factor Approximation" and "New IDPA Scoring."

KG
03-24-2017, 08:58 PM
And it's about exploration...absent a context that gives rise to an "All As or DQ" requirement, the strongest combination of time and accuracy for me comes from having a low level of tolerance for minor error

That's excellent Gabe, thanks.