PDA

View Full Version : Scaring the range crowd?

GardoneVT
03-02-2017, 01:23 PM
Is it possible ones shooting performance can scare range patrons?

I just came back from the local shooting spot,and not for the first time a group that was shooting and chatting when I set up turned into quiet Quakers after I ended my 25 yard drill.Ran into that group as I checked out thirty odd minutes later,and I caught some "wtf impossible!" looks from em.

Picture the cops watching Trinity jump a building in The Matrix facial expression.

Scary thing is, a 5" offhand group at 25 yards isn't THAT good. I normally wouldn't care,but this isn't the first time that's happened.

voodoo_man
03-02-2017, 01:35 PM
A local range I went to for years told me that I could no longer run 25y standards when others were on the line because people would try to mimic them and end up shooting the walls and the baffles.

Private ranges are best, but sometimes they aren't available. Fact remains that the majority of shooters doesn't know what real accurate shooting is or how to obtain it.

orionz06
03-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Print off a pic of yourself on 8.5x11 and shoot that, it usually fucks people up.

scw2
03-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Print off a pic of yourself on 8.5x11, usually fucks people up.

Step 2 is putting that picture of yourself on the hostage, and shooting that repeatedly and never once hitting the bad guy hostage taker.

Joe in PNG
03-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Heck, keeping all your shots in a bowling pin silhouette at 7-10 yards will garner looks of amazement and cries of unbelief.

Appalachained
03-02-2017, 03:45 PM
I belong to a Sportsmen's club, but a couple of times a year when it's really cold I'll go to Bud's and shoot at the indoor range. I shoot groups at 25 yards like most of the people there shoot at 5-7 yards. Once a guy asked me what I was shooting and proceeded to go buy a new G19 when I told him that's what I was shooting. I didn't stick around to find out if he shot the Glock like me.
Having said that, when I'm at the club I'm NOT one of the better shooters. It's funny how the talent varies so much at different venues.

ubervic
03-02-2017, 03:46 PM
Pshawwww------come around the NRA range on a Saturday and you will AMAZE most if you can keep all hits on a 3x5 card at 7 yds.

PNWTO
03-02-2017, 03:55 PM
A local range I went to for years told me that I could no longer run 25y standards when others were on the line because people would try to mimic them and end up shooting the walls and the baffles.

Private ranges are best, but sometimes they aren't available. Fact remains that the majority of shooters doesn't know what real accurate shooting is or how to obtain it.

I once showed up to the local indoor place and ran a B-8 out to 25.

Cletus in the next stall takes notice and asks what I'm shooting.

"Just a Glock 19."

"That a .40?"

"Just a nine."

"That far away is asking a lot for a 9 em em isn't it?"

"Maybe so."

I shot a 83, if my memory serves. Not the best but for ten shots cold after a hiatus, I'll take it.

Dude comes back over.

"You an instructor here?"

Clusterfrack
03-02-2017, 04:10 PM
I once happened by a bowling pin match in progress. I asked if I could give it a try, but all I had on me was a .380 mouse gun. The folks were friendly but not encouraging about my chances of knocking down or even hitting a pin. I turned down the kind offer to let me use one of the very expensive guns they had brought to kill pins with. I ended up winning the match by at least half the best time. No one even said "good shooting".

BehindBlueI's
03-02-2017, 04:16 PM
I, along with a friend who's slightly more seasoned than me, were at a public range he's a member of. We were both shooting what I would consider mundane groups at mundane distances. Two youths next to us with more exuberance than skill who were videoing each other shooting while saying things like 'yeah, dawg, bump that fo-tay' and making lovely shotgun patterns at 5 yards. This particular range has pretty nice (and thick) dividers between us, and the rear half is clear. Soon they had their faces pressed up the glass to watch us shoot. I don't know if it surprised them that we were shooting 1" groups at 7y or that we were doing so without social media and...exuberance.

I've also had a guy shooting at 3y hitting my target, two lanes over, at 15y. That range just has regular particle board dividers. I'm much more aware of who's shooting next to me on that one.

Dropkick
03-02-2017, 04:21 PM

I'm personally more concerned with not worrying the Range Safety Officers. I usually start out with some slow and simple drills, and work my way up from there.

And that doesn't make much sense. Shitty shooters are going to hit the walls and baffles regardless of the distance to the target.

Kyle Reese
03-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Pshawwww------come around the NRA range on a Saturday and you will AMAZE most if you can keep all hits on a 3x5 card at 7 yds.

True that.

TGS
03-02-2017, 05:16 PM
And that doesn't make much sense. Shitty shooters are going to hit the walls and baffles regardless of the distance to the target.

Eh. Same concept as restricting people on rapid fire drills.

The range that myself and BaiHu shoot at has a rule against more than 1 shot per second, or something like that. As long as there isn't a crowd they haven't given me any grief. I work up just like you do, and as long as they see the shots on paper then they don't care. If there's a crowd, they've asked I refrain from such because of the whole mob mentality phenomenon. People either get 1) self-confidence issues, thinking if he's shooting that fast then I should too, 2) Think it's okay to shoot fast and make lots of noise since they're letting him do it, or 3) I don't know. Whatever else in peoples' heads that impacts their ability to make good decisions.

I've noticed the same thing with target distance. In my observations as a single person, everyone seems to put their targets at 7-15 yards. If I bring mine in to 3 yards, other people bring theirs in; there seems to be some stigma against shooting targets at close range, as it negatively impacts their expertise they acquired in shooting due to being born with a dick. So if they see someone else bring it in close, it seems more socially acceptable for them to bring it in close as well. If I put my target at 25 for a 200-drill, then all the sudden I see targets start to migrate farther out because.....at least in my mind....people now feel their expertise/manhood is challenged, so gat-damnit they're gonna' shoot at 25 yards too! And, of course, they start shooting things other than their target.....like the last time I was there with my fiancé, and a 45 hole appeared on our B-8 replacement center......(we've never owned a 45).

All in all, I can't blame this range for their policy. It's a very nice facility. The NRA range, while relatively clean, well-kept and well-run, is like a Wal-Mart in comparison. Totally different than my haunt when I lived in VA, Sharpshooters, where who could really give a shit (or even tell) if someone took a Glock 18 and went to town on everything but the target.

Jeep
03-02-2017, 05:30 PM
True that.

The guys who amaze me are the guys who come in with tactical clothes and gear, with fancy AR's and holsters and all the rest who then have a hard time keeping their shots on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper at 7 years. I see a fair number like that. It's almost as if the "look" is king, and actual performance is a minor thing.

I have to give them credit for nice gear, though.

LittleLebowski
03-02-2017, 05:41 PM
It happens but it's nothing to brag about. Impress the range crowd at the TLG Memorial shoot and then we'll talk.

GardoneVT
03-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Previous visit to this one ,I brought my AR and was function checking a new trigger upgrade. I ran the target to 15 yards,loaded up,and fired five rounds .After another five rounds for safety verification, it was time for rapid fire testing.

30 rounds gone that time. I go back to the rear table for ammo re-supply and notice a sour look on the face of the next range patron.I note a scoped DPMS AR on a bench rest. His target paper hung at the 10 yard marker.

As I pondered mentally how a man could achieve a shotgun pattern at 10 yards off of a bench rest ,my thoughts were broken by someone's .22LR going full auto.

Wait a minute,that wasn't a malfunction. Someone's actually rapid firing their .22. Eh, their time and mone-

!BOOM !
!BOOM!
- a beat -

!BOOM!
!BOOM!
!BOOM!
!BOOM!

"Mumbled chatter .....I love my FIFTY!! "( AR shooters pal holds up a long barrel S&W revolver,tip smoking).

Sigh.

TAZ
03-02-2017, 06:04 PM
It's been a while since I've impressed someone on the range. I'm more the guy who finds a good shooter and try to get pointers from them.

Without the whole stalker vibe of course.

Dropkick
03-02-2017, 06:08 PM
I've noticed the same thing with target distance. In my observations as a single person, everyone seems to put their targets at 7-15 yards. ...

My math is probably off but here's the idea, shooting a shotgun pattern on a Q at 5 yards will hit baffles and walls at 15 yards. Running a Q out to 25 yards and there will still be baffle and wall strikes at 15 yards.

Cory
03-02-2017, 06:11 PM
I've made folks eyebrows raise because I had a timer. Then I shot a FAST run. Drawing seemed to make them a little uneasy. But the thing that really did it... the thing that had people absolutely dumbfounded... was when I pulled out a pen and made some notes about my performance.

It happens but it's nothing to brag about. Impress the range crowd at the TLG Memorial shoot and then we'll talk.

I don't think this was meant as a bragging thread. That crowd is also going to be far more educated about performance with a handgun and less likely to get nervous or be in awe. And that is an absolutely great thing.

-Cory

shane45
03-02-2017, 06:21 PM
I think that was LL's point.

ReverendMeat
03-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Was reprimanded in the most passive-aggressive way possible by some poopy pants who did not like me drawing from a holster or doing "rapid fire." Granted both of which were against the rules, but still...

Guinnessman
03-02-2017, 07:01 PM
I have shot at 3 ranges around the Pittsburgh area. All three clubs have excellent shooters. I have learned from shooters at all three clubs.

At a Vicker's class several years ago I watched the "Class Sleeper" tear up every drill, and achieve damn near perfection! He was a lot of fun to watch, and he humbled the shit out of me.

When I hit the range I check my ego at the door. Always strive to make yourself better and don't allow yourself to get cocky. Try to learn from the good shooters you meet. Try to help other shooters improve on their skills.

Big Egos continue to get people in trouble or killed every day. Somewhere there is someone on the street, or in a car, in a boat, or flying a plane, whose ego is going to get them hurt or killed. Don't be that guy. Big egos lead to poor decisions, and poor decisions lead to bad outcomes.

Mr. SouthNarc needs to pay a visit to this thread and give everyone a "Come to Jesus talk."

flyrodr
03-02-2017, 07:13 PM
With my eyes, I'm in awe of anyone who can SEE a B-8 center at 25 yards . . .🤓

MistWolf
03-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Scary thing is, a 5" offhand group at 25 yards isn't THAT good

Ha! I'd be doing the Snoopy Dance if I could shoot 5" groups at 25 yards with a handgun

SeriousStudent
03-02-2017, 07:31 PM
With my eyes, I'm in awe of anyone who can SEE a B-8 center at 25 yards . . .��

This.

modrecoil
03-02-2017, 07:35 PM
I don't know if I scare anyone. Maybe just on the weekends. The most annoying thing I've dealt with is coaching requests, which I don't usually mind. Happy to help reduce derp at my range. Better for my ego than hanging out here with all the overachievers. :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hufnagel
03-02-2017, 07:36 PM

I'll be impressed if i'm not dead last!

LittleLebowski
03-02-2017, 07:49 PM
This.

Print out a hundred of these or so at work.

LittleLebowski
03-02-2017, 07:50 PM
I'll be impressed if i'm not dead last!

I'll be there, don't worry :cool:

SeriousStudent
03-02-2017, 07:54 PM

It's ain't the B-8 target that's the problem, it's the Mark 1 eyeball.

They no work so good no more.

Jim Watson
03-02-2017, 07:55 PM
I am prepaid at the first indoor range under construction in this immediate area.
Sounds like a real circus.

LittleLebowski
03-02-2017, 07:59 PM
I think that was LL's point.

https://media.giphy.com/media/NfGTU1FFnPIwo/giphy.gif

LittleLebowski
03-02-2017, 08:00 PM
It's ain't the B-8 target that's the problem, it's the Mark 1 eyeball.

They no work so good no more.

Red dot?

LJD
03-02-2017, 08:05 PM
I'll be there, don't worry :cool:

Uhh... this is not a humblebrag - I am signed up to go and am fully prepared to be the greenest, lastest shooter there. I did find the guy next to me last week staring at my bill drills. Apparently he had trouble keeping a similar pattern with a red dot on his .22. He was safe and working hard so all good.

LittleLebowski
03-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Uhh... this is not a humblebrag - I am signed up to go and am fully prepared to be the greenest, lastest shooter there. I did find the guy next to me last week staring at my bill drills. Apparently he had trouble keeping a similar pattern with a red dot on his .22. He was safe and working hard so all good.

STALKER!

Clobbersaurus
03-02-2017, 08:31 PM
This is a weird thread.

I've never had more than a passing glance by other people at the range, and I really don't care what expression in on their face as I leave because I'm not usually paying attention to them other than keeping general situational awareness.

The only time anyone has ever taken notice of my shooting and offered positive comments is in a class setting, and it's the only situation I would do the same.

If someone asks for help, I'll gladly give it, but range time is in short supply for me and I'm too busy training to notice much else.

UNK
03-02-2017, 08:35 PM
For my CCDW qual I shot a smile on the face of the target I finished and turned around to find the half of the class not shooting staring at me. Pretty unremarkable considering the target probably had powder burns.

SeriousStudent
03-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Red dot?

Nah, my eyes are just bloodshot from eyestrain and overwork.

Oh, you meant like an Aimpoint.......

Seriously, I have pondered it. Dr Roberts' thread regarding the Trijicon RMS has been read several times, as well as Kevin Boland's writeups in years past.

I'm okay out to about 12 yards. The X-ring gets carved out at 3 yards, the 10-ring at 5 yards. Keeping stuff in the black on a B-8 at 7-10 yards is very doable. But past 12, no dice.

My left eyeball was worked over by an "unlicensed ophthalmologist" some time ago. Of course, it's my dominant eye. I have consulted two docs, and both told me to be happy with what I have.

It is what it is. The revolver work I have done over the last year has helped, as does has the daily dry practice.

Shooting ain't wine - it does not always age well, and I accept that.

flyrodr
03-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Red dot?

This! My eyes are about 20/200 uncorrected, and, corrected, around 20/30 on a good day. The red dot allows me to shoot with my normal glasses, whereas with irons, I either have to deal with fuzzy sights, or switch to glasses corrected for sharp focus on the front sight.

I'm still coming to grips with speed of acquisition (working, and getting better), and fret some about their durability. Seems once they're sorted, they hold up pretty well. Have one on an M&P 9C that's had probably a couple of thousand rounds through it and working fine.

And I'm thinking the B-8 with white center will help with irons. I have noticed I shoot better groups with irons when the bullseye isn't a solid black blob (blue, orange, or white!). Thanks for that, LL.

Clobbersaurus
03-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Canada. It's like a whole other country (stupid slogan ripped off from the Texas tourism department) :)

I've often wondered if I miss the point of some threads here because of my Canadian perspective. :)

LittleLebowski
03-02-2017, 09:23 PM
This! My eyes are about 20/200 uncorrected, and, corrected, around 20/30 on a good day. The red dot allows me to shoot with my normal glasses, whereas with irons, I either have to deal with fuzzy sights, or switch to glasses corrected for sharp focus on the front sight.

I'm still coming to grips with speed of acquisition (working, and getting better), and fret some about their durability. Seems once they're sorted, they hold up pretty well. Have one on an M&P 9C that's had probably a couple of thousand rounds through it and working fine.

And I'm thinking the B-8 with white center will help with irons. I have noticed I shoot better groups with irons when the bullseye isn't a solid black blob (blue, orange, or white!). Thanks for that, LL.

Tom Jones created that target, he seems to be able to do anything.

hufnagel
03-02-2017, 09:45 PM
I can pretty easily make a B8 (or other NRA bullseye target) however you want. I can even make a rainbow one for Luke. :)

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/a2/a2c27819afd5b6801ba3e482564ec1165b11d2bf90645f6845 7c6c70acad08e3.jpg

Paul Sharp
03-02-2017, 10:03 PM
My last trip to a public range, outside of a class or competition, was a few years ago with a friend that wanted help buying a pistol. We rented a few of the range guns. Shot them a little. I gave her some grip, aiming and trigger pointers since she has only shot a pistol a few times. (She's actually a really good skeet shooter.)

As we're leaving a group of guys stop us to talk about our shooting session. They tell me they are starting a training company and think I, "and your lady friend" would benefit from their instruction. In my head all I could hear was Katt Williams voice saying, well damn playa...

Totem Polar
03-02-2017, 10:52 PM
I get comments on how good my shooting is all the time. Knowing how good my shooting *really* is makes me weep for the future of our passion.

Working in Arts and academia, once in a blue moon the fact that I am a shooter comes up. Everyone askes me if I am "a good shot." I always respond "I am truly middle of the road. Let me define that for you: at the bottom of the triangle is pretty much every gun owner in America, and at the top is the truly excellent; tier one SOF personnel, world-class shooting champions... people who have worked incredibly hard to cultivate their natural abilities under pressure. I am so much better than the average that it's alarming, literally a chasm between us, and I'm so much worse than the pinnacle that it's equally jarring and another chasm."

That always raises eyebrows.

It's also pretty spot-on, IMHO and IME.

JAD
03-02-2017, 11:25 PM
rainbow b8

Forgot indigo.

1slow
03-02-2017, 11:46 PM
Back in the early 1990s I had taken delivery of a Hamilton Bowen 5 shot .500 Linebaugh 4'' barrel Redhawk. I shot it a lot with 450gr at about 1200fps. Tony Kannaly at Milt Sparks had made me an AZR holster for it.

The only indoor range had a few dopers with Tec 9s etc.... come in every now and again. I was practicing draw to head shots fairly often. BOOM, dopers would look over pack up their stuff and leave. I heard that one of the departees said something to the effect of ''where ever he works we do not want to be." My shooting was OK but something about the concussive boom made an impression. I had this happen often enough that we laughed about it.

Joe in PNG
03-03-2017, 12:12 AM
Shooting the range rental Glock 18 also tends to get a few people's attention- kind of like the range scene in the original Robocop.

GuanoLoco
03-03-2017, 01:52 AM
Y'all are mssing a key point. Luke doesn't need a target, he only needs a timer.

Surf
03-03-2017, 02:17 AM
Was at a gun show a few years back and the Fish and Game guys had a booth with archery and a Glock laser pistol video shooting gallery game type of set up. My son was about 6 or 7 at that time and was waiting in line for the video shooting gallery thing. He got his turn and the guy was explaining how to hold the pistol, how to stand and covered safety stuff as my son stood and paid full attention. The Parks guy then let my son have his turn at the shooting gallery. My son picked up the pistol from the table and he went into a well trained thumbs forward grip and classic power iso at a compressed ready. He ran the score up on the game and the guy watching had his jaw on the floor and a crowd had gathered. When the game finished, the Parks guy asked him where he learned to do that? He just pointed at me and said, "My Dad".

My son then walked over to the archery side nocked arrow after arrow and popped balloon after balloon. By the time he was done, the entire crowd that had gathered around clapped when he finished! I am sure the smile on both our faces was priceless. A truly great moment in the life of a father and son!

Eastex
03-03-2017, 07:07 AM
My wife teaches school in our small country town and every year she helps run a booth at the Halloween festival. One of her first years there her booth activity was shooting a paintball gun at printed out sheets of Dracula, Frankenstein and that kind of stuff. I'll never forget one of her cute little second graders dressed up in her princess's costume walking up with her dad. I figured he wanted to shoot but he handed it to her and she calmly brought it up one handed and nailed every one as fast as she could work the trigger. I told her she did a great job and she just smiled and shrugged and went on to the next booth.

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"

Robinson
03-03-2017, 08:33 AM
I've never had more than a passing glance by other people at the range, and I really don't care what expression in on their face as I leave because I'm not usually paying attention to them other than keeping general situational awareness.

What Clobb said. I never notice anyone's reaction to my shooting at the range, mostly because I don't care.

Robinson
03-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Forgot indigo.

How can anyone forget Indigo?

Peally
03-03-2017, 09:19 AM
I want to know where these public ranges you guys speak of are where everyone there isn't a tourist or moron. Being better than people at public ranges is like being better at playing the piano against a deaf man with no fingers.

MSparks909
03-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Print off a pic of yourself on 8.5x11 and shoot that, it usually fucks people up.

Bravo, sir. You succeeded in making me spew hot coffee out of my nose. I award you 10 points.

Corey
03-03-2017, 11:54 AM
For the most part, if anybody notices my shooting at the range they don’t say anything to me so I don’t even know about it. There was one range I used to go to where I would regularly get asked if I was a cop or something. I quit going there after a more conveniently located range opened. I have only had 2 memorable encounters at a public range in recent years. First one I was at the range working on Dot Torture and Typewriter drills. There was an older guy next to me shooting an M&P9, same as me. At one point when I was loading mags he asked me how I was able to shoot like that. He showed me his target looked like a shotgun pattern and he had been shooting at 7 yards. I took about 15 minutes and got his grip straightened out and coached him a little on sights and trigger control. He soon had a group on paper instead of the shotgun pattern. As he thanked me he commented, “I wish somebody had shown me this years ago.” That made me feel better than my shooting did.

The second one was also at the indoor range, I was doing a lot of work with the timer and writing down scores and times. There was a group of guys in their 20’s a couple rows over who had noticed me. One of them finally came up to me and asked what I was doing. I told him I was practicing and he asked about the timer and the notes. I told him I had a target to measure my accuracy, a timer to measure my speed, and a written record that I put in a spreadsheet so I would know if I was getting better. He looked at me kind of funny for a moment and then just said, “That’s really weird” and went back to his friends.

On a public range, if they don’t talk to me I only notice them enough to see if they are being safe. Otherwise, I am focused on my own shooting and don’t pay really pay attention to the other people beyond noticing if someone is particularly good or spectacularly bad.

okie john
03-03-2017, 12:07 PM
The second one was also at the indoor range, I was doing a lot of work with the timer and writing down scores and times. There was a group of guys in their 20’s a couple rows over who had noticed me. One of them finally came up to me and asked what I was doing. I told him I was practicing and he asked about the timer and the notes. I told him I had a target to measure my accuracy, a timer to measure my speed, and a written record that I put in a spreadsheet so I would know if I was getting better. He looked at me kind of funny for a moment and then just said, “That’s really weird” and went back to his friends.

Most people take this attitude towards any type of self-improvement. They're not going to hire a coach or take a class, and they're damned sure not going to actually, you know, think about what they're doing or how they're doing it.

Okie John

Jeep
03-03-2017, 12:57 PM

LL: Thanks. I snuck off to go shooting and tried these. The work better than the red-x ring ones I've been using, at least with my declining vision.

BN
03-03-2017, 04:16 PM
I can pretty easily make a B8 (or other NRA bullseye target) however you want. I can even make a rainbow one for Luke. :)

Can you make one for me that is all white with just black scoring circles? With my vision, I have a hard time determining which B-8 down range to shoot at. :( I can shoot much tighter groups on just a plain IDPA/USPSA target.

BN
03-03-2017, 04:47 PM
Sure, I'll make it tonight. :)

Thanks. :)

eb07
03-03-2017, 05:04 PM
I don't have to worry about strangers on my shooting "range"

Just a couple easy ups and some training friends in the middle of nowhere

https://s18.postimg.org/oxy5d38bp/BOL_Train_1_00420.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/oxy5d38bp/)

https://s18.postimg.org/6wf0faeat/IMG_0883.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/6wf0faeat/)

https://s18.postimg.org/8cqixfh7p/IMG_1177.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/8cqixfh7p/)

Caballoflaco
03-03-2017, 06:13 PM
^^^ I'm new here. Do we have a hate button?

Stephanie B
03-03-2017, 06:35 PM
Big Egos continue to get people in trouble or killed every day. Somewhere there is someone on the street, or in a car, in a boat, or flying a plane, whose ego is going to get them hurt or killed. Don't be that guy. Big egos lead to poor decisions, and poor decisions lead to bad outcomes.

I've known at least a couple of CFIs who would not teach surgeons. One told me that, oh, they can be taught to fly, but they can't be taught humility. Airplanes and weather don't give a rat's ass if you're the Ranking Pro from Dover of chest-cutters.

Reminds me that I need to gear up and get going, as this may be one of the last opportunities to get in a little night VFR before the time changes.

Hambo
03-03-2017, 06:52 PM

Yeah, zero fucks given about what the non-shootin mofos at the local range think of me. When you get a compliment from a serious instructor, come close to, or beat a real shooter...now that's :cool:

Drang
03-03-2017, 06:59 PM
How can anyone forget Indigo?

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You mis-spelled my name. Now prepare..."

Guinnessman
03-03-2017, 07:07 PM
I've known at least a couple of CFIs who would not teach surgeons. One told me that, oh, they can be taught to fly, but they can't be taught humility. Airplanes and weather don't give a rat's ass if you're the Ranking Pro from Dover of chest-cutters.

Reminds me that I need to gear up and get going, as this may be one of the last opportunities to get in a little night VFR before the time changes.

My roommate from college and I had a very successful, albeit cocky businessman as a Flight student. He showed up as a complete know it all and looked at us as two 21 year old punks.

Over the next couple of weeks we put the full court press on our student and we completely broke him. Looking back, our methods could have been considered sadistic in a way, but we broke him!

He became our favorite student, and he progressed at a lightning fast rate, while flying one of our more difficult airplanes in the fleet (Piper 140 with the "Hershey Bar Wing.") He showed up prepared every lesson and he kicked ass! He was also one of the funniest guys I have come across in my career and we formed a friendship.

Surgeons are in that same boat. You just have to scare the shit out of them first. Power-on stalls into a spin (Utility Category and approved of course), were our first choice for the breaking. :p

If you print out a months worth of NTSB reports and force your students to read them, they start to get the picture.

Ed L
03-04-2017, 04:37 AM

I just came back from the local shooting spot,and not for the first time a group that was shooting and chatting when I set up turned into quiet Quakers after I ended my 25 yard drill.Ran into that group as I checked out thirty odd minutes later,and I caught some "wtf impossible!" looks from em.

Picture the cops watching Trinity jump a building in The Matrix facial expression.

Scary thing is, a 5" offhand group at 25 yards isn't THAT good. I normally wouldn't care,but this isn't the first time that's happened.

Really?

Really?

Scared?

What range crowd gets scared of someone who shoots well?

In my experience most people at ranges are in their own little world and not really notice the targets of people around them.

Hambo
03-04-2017, 07:16 AM
Here you go:

Sweet! I'll be testing that one out this week.

hufnagel
03-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Really?

Really?

Scared?

In my experience most people at ranges are in their own little world and not really notice the targets of people around them.

well, i'll admit when I don't shave regularly and come in a bit bedraggled looking, I kinda resemble an ISIS member in hiding. That's been known to get a few stares. Doesn't help i'm a deplorable troll and if i'm getting eyeballed hard enough I'll play it up a bit.

HCountyGuy
03-04-2017, 08:49 AM
I usually earn looks of contempt because I'm actually producing a grouping on my target at 7-10 yards while the folks around me are shot gunning at 3-5 yards.

I had a mini moment of horror on my range trip this week. This older gentleman and what I assume to be his wife set up on the lane to my immediate right. The wife is green as can be, and her husband is giving all sorts of "pointers" but will not fix her damn grip. At one point he has her shooting a 92FS at about 5 yards, and next thing I know I'm watching sparks from her hitting the ground with three shots. My wife happens to be shooting at the time and turns around to see my eyes get HUGE.

Luke
03-04-2017, 08:54 AM
You guys should quit trying to beat up on yuppies and go try and scare the guys at a USPSA match.

BN
03-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Here you go:

Excellent. Thanks. :)

Talionis
03-04-2017, 09:51 AM
You guys should quit trying to beat up on yuppies and go try and scare the guys at a USPSA match.

But what about beating up on the yuppies at the USPSA match?

Jim Watson
03-04-2017, 10:12 AM

Good work if you can get it.

okie john
03-04-2017, 10:37 AM
Really?

Really?

Scared?

Maybe not scared, but plenty of people pay way too much attention to my targets when I shoot.

Okie John

olstyn
03-04-2017, 11:11 AM

I don't know about yuppies, but I've definitely seen a hipster at a USPSA match before. Skinny jeans, plaid flannel, and gauged out ears. Kinda goofy, but he was apparently under the guidance of his father in law, who is an RO and whose spare gun he was shooting. I didn't see him do anything unsafe, so while his fashion choices looked a bit out of place, eh, whatever. :)

flyrodr
03-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Tom,

Many thanks for posting the white X-ring and white-bullseye B-8 centers. Printed some, and have with range bag for next trip. Much appreciated by my aged eyeballs!

Now you've got me wondering if could turn a profit making "custom" targets on a large format printer. Probably not.

On the one hand, I'd think competing with the established target makers would appear tough. Production, marketing, distribution and all those.

But then I go to the range and see the variety of graphics used on targets and the numbers consumed . . . it might work. Especially if offered in smaller sizes than the typical 24" x 36" (or whatever it is) size, for a lower price. It's amazing how few ranges, at least around where I am, don't catch on to the "replacement center" idea (or equivalent thereof). Or maybe they do, but just have more profit from the larger targets. Hm-m-m . . . or too many of their patrons can't hit a 10-inch square beyond 7 yards.

Regardless, thanks again!

flyrodr
03-04-2017, 12:06 PM
It was mostly a joke. I thinking about people printing torso/head targets of themselves. Basically a larger version of orionz06's idea (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24590-Scaring-the-range-crowd&p=571666&viewfull=1#post571666).

Yeah, got that. I'd be the one attempting the joke the day a "concerned citizen" was also at the range, and felt obliged to call the padded wagon to come and get the "deranged, gun-wielding wacko who is clearly suicidal". My bride (of 30+ years) often reminds me that "comic" and "timing" do not come together for me.

Luke
03-04-2017, 02:20 PM

Atleast they are getting scared in a dynamic situation instead of standing in a stall

MistWolf
03-04-2017, 02:54 PM
I don't know about yuppies, but I've definitely seen a hipster at a USPSA match before. Skinny jeans, plaid flannel, and gauged out ears

I am not letting the hipsters hijack my plaid flannel shirts!

olstyn
03-04-2017, 04:50 PM
I am not letting the hipsters hijack my plaid flannel shirts!

Don't worry - as long as you don't wear skinny jeans, I don't think anybody will mistake you for a hipster. There's a certain set of hair, beard, and glasses styles that tend to go with the look as well, and unless I'm misreading you, you're safe.

JohnO
03-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Was at a gun show a few years back and the Fish and Game guys had a booth with archery and a Glock laser pistol video shooting gallery game type of set up. My son was about 6 or 7 at that time and was waiting in line for the video shooting gallery thing. He got his turn and the guy was explaining how to hold the pistol, how to stand and covered safety stuff as my son stood and paid full attention. The Parks guy then let my son have his turn at the shooting gallery. My son picked up the pistol from the table and he went into a well trained thumbs forward grip and classic power iso at a compressed ready. He ran the score up on the game and the guy watching had his jaw on the floor and a crowd had gathered. When the game finished, the Parks guy asked him where he learned to do that? He just pointed at me and said, "My Dad".

My son then walked over to the archery side nocked arrow after arrow and popped balloon after balloon. By the time he was done, the entire crowd that had gathered around clapped when he finished! I am sure the smile on both our faces was priceless. A truly great moment in the life of a father and son!

I know the exact feeling. I worked with my oldest son for a number of years teaching him the basics. When I felt he was ready I signed him up for a 3-day defensive handgun class. I went along as it was required since he was 15 at the time. It did not take long before everyone in the class had their eye on him. There were a few LEOs, a couple NRA instructors and an Army 1st Sergeant along with others in the class. People were taking turns lining up next to my son trying to compete with his performance on virtually every drill. It was very satisfying seeing my son with the high score every time and the disappointment in faces of others when they compared targets. The class finished out with a test with a minimum score required to graduate. My son shot a clean target and was top shooter in the class earning a Distinguished Graduate certificate. He shot a G23 with factory 180 grain ammo. I was a very proud dad.

Stephanie B
03-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Sometimes the range crowd scares me!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170304/a901aa1e529be4de6ae7e1313f85c5ee.jpg

That's the local indoor range, 25 yard lanes.

Joe in PNG
03-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Sometimes the range crowd scares me!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170304/a901aa1e529be4de6ae7e1313f85c5ee.jpg

That's the local indoor range, 25 yard lanes.

I've seen the same on the home range rifle lane. I can't even!

Paul Sharp
03-04-2017, 09:53 PM

He's right you know.

I think most of the folks at a public range are probably focused on whatever it is they're doing. As I posted earlier in this thread, I haven't really been to a lot of public ranges outside of classes or competitions but most of the time when I have been there I haven't really noticed what other people are doing. I couldn't care less, as long as they're not pointing guns at me I'm not interested.

Another thing we tend to forget; there aren't that many of us, and by us I mean people that actually train. For those that take classes a few times a year, think about how often you see the same faces in those classes. The dedicated training community isn't all that large. The general public goes to a range, shoots off a box of ammo and calls it a day. No structure, no clear objective, just shooting. For them to see a GM level shooter in action or even a shooter that shoots regularly and understand what's going on is like some native tribe from the Amazon Basin seeing an astronaut walk on the moon and understand what they just witnessed. They don't even know what a car is, let alone space travel.

ST911
03-04-2017, 11:55 PM
In the land of the Cleeti, the man with the 10 second FAST is king.

Drang
03-05-2017, 12:02 AM
In the land of the Cleeti, the man with the 10 second FAST is king.

That would mean a lot more to me if I didn't know there were so many guys locally that could easily earn a FAST pin, and probably a coin.

HopetonBrown
03-05-2017, 12:02 AM
GardoneVT, impressing, I mean "scaring" the local public range denizens with your shooting awesomeness is like wowing an 8 year old by doing simple math in your head.

Whenever you're starting to feel awesome about yourself by outshooting the general public, go to your local IDPA/USPSA club and see how well you do against the average B class/Expert middle aged fat guy in a bicycle jersey/fishing vest.

Jim Watson
03-05-2017, 12:27 AM
Saw a video of a commercial range celebrating a busy day. It was a madhouse. I would have to wear a bucket over my head to concentrate on the target. Glad I am retired and will be able to shoot on our forthcoming indoor range midday.

GardoneVT
03-05-2017, 12:36 AM
GardoneVT, impressing, I mean "scaring" the local public range denizens with your shooting awesomeness is like wowing an 8 year old by doing simple math in your head........

HopetonBrown, I didnt realize you could count that high.Wonders never cease.

GuanoLoco
03-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Back when I first started self-training, before I had any exposure to trainers or competition, I was at the local indoor range minding my own business. An exasperated range officer I am friendly with came to me and asked if I would mind 'testing' a pistol for a couple of young gentlemen a few lanes over that were having issues. I give him the raised eyebrow and he says he isn't allowed to shoot while on duty. I am slightly intrigued.

I walk over and observe a target at maybe 5-7 yards with holes randomly peppered across the entire target. It is a full size silhouette with the tiny image of the silhouette in the top left corner. A brand new Springfield XD pistol is on the lane table and the two are in a heated discussion.

"This the pistol with the issues?" Yes.
"I understand you would like me to 'test' it for you? Yes please.
There is a loaded mag on the table. I give the gun a cursory inspection, load up and shoot out the tiny silhouette in the upper left corner, working at a moderate pace. Boggled looks. Range officer is standing there looking smug.
"Looks like it is working perfectly to me. "

I cleared the pistol, put it back on the lane table and return to my lane, giving the RO a wink.

It is like doing magic tricks in front of gullible children - but it still feels good.

67GTONUT
03-05-2017, 08:50 AM
With my eyes, I'm in awe of anyone who can SEE a B-8 center at 25 yards . . .🤓

Yeah..... I cannot even see at 25yds clear enough to group....

I give you guys credit, I have no where near the skill to group at distance. I am comfortable 5-12yds....

But even I will get the raised eyebrows when doing holster drills at those distances, because of my groupings .......

Stephanie B
03-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Ended up not flying. The winds came up; there was an 80deg crosswind at abut 10kts. Not my idea of fun at night. Then yesterday, the winds were stronger. Experience has taught me that flying around in my local area when the winds are over 10-12kts makes for a rough ride. It's OK if I'm going somewhere, for I can climb over it, but for just tooling around in the area, it's no fun.

Drang
03-05-2017, 03:28 PM
That would mean a lot more to me if I didn't know there were so many guys locally that could easily earn a FAST pin, and probably a coin.

I.e., in a 12 man class Ernest awarded 5 FAST pins.

RJ
03-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Saw a video of a commercial range celebrating a busy day. It was a madhouse. I would have to wear a bucket over my head to concentrate on the target. Glad I am retired and will be able to shoot on our forthcoming indoor range midday.

Yep. I go on Monday's, which is usually Ladies Day. The testosterone level is slightly lower.

Look, I'm like the Ray Charles of shooting, in terms of accuracy, to most here.

But hell, when I roll up on the lane and run the target out to 25, the incredulous looks I get kinda turn into gapes when I pull the target back and can show scores around 60/70/80 range on a B8 with 10 rounds.

And I seriously suck. I don't really think some folks believe a pistol will shoot "that far". As in, they think maybe they have to allow for bullet drop at that distance. :cool:

I'm also like the ONLY person making notes after reeling in every target. I honestly don't believe I've ever actually seen anyone else do that in maybe 25 trips to local ranges since I started shooting in 2015. In fact, I think I've only ever seen 1 person shoot anything other than e.g. the big 24" x 36" Zombie or multiple bullseye target. Which is usually at 5 yards.

But, you know, that's ok by me. I would be happier if more folks were out enjoying their 2nd rights and making random holes in paper, but good for the ones that are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnO
03-05-2017, 04:10 PM
Look, I'm like the Ray Charles of shooting, in terms of accuracy, to most here.

Speaking of Ray Charles, did you ever see the fantastic range he had?

No you say.

Neither did he. LOL. Sorry couldn't resist.

Stephanie B
03-05-2017, 07:01 PM
Funny. I thought a FAST card was the civilian certification of training in formation flying.

Corey
03-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Funny. I thought a FAST card was the civilian certification of training in formation flying.

I am so ignorant on aviation topics that I had to look that up to see if it was really a thing. I know I will never have a FAST card, but I can console myself with my FAST pin ;)

Stephanie B
03-12-2017, 08:27 PM
I am so ignorant on aviation topics that I had to look that up to see if it was really a thing. I know I will never have a FAST card, but I can console myself with my FAST pin ;)
I have neither, so.....