PDA

View Full Version : Glock sight tools

Wondering Beard
12-12-2011, 02:29 PM
I want to be able to put new sights on my Glocks by myself and have a few questions.

1) How easy is it? to establish a baseline, I can detail strip a Glock so long as I have a "how to" on paper next to me.

2) Which front and rear sight tools should I buy? I see various companies offering one and I have no idea which are good, bad or indifferent.

3) Do they come with an instruction manual and if not, does anybody make one?

4) Do I need other tools like a vise, hammer, punch, threadlocker and if so, which?

Thanks.

ChrisG19
12-12-2011, 06:08 PM
It is very easy. Like everything else, take your time.

I've been using the MGW brand tool for over a decade now with no problems. You will also need a small nut driver for the front sight (I forget the size).

There should be some videos on Youtube I imagine.

Chris

VolGrad
12-12-2011, 06:12 PM
I have a MGW GLOCK rear sight tool and a GLOCK brand front sight tool with the magnetic tip. Easy peezy.

Al T.
12-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Second for Vol Grads post. Not much to it except that I like Lock-Tite for the front sight and a light coat of grease for the rear. The sight manufacturers instructions should be read and followed.

JV_
12-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I Loctite the front and rear.

After the rear is adjusted for zero, I remove the set screw and drip in red/270. When you put the set screw back in, it forces it in to the dovetail.

JHC
12-12-2011, 08:43 PM
I have a MGW GLOCK rear sight tool and a GLOCK brand front sight tool with the magnetic tip. Easy peezy.

I gotta look for that on Glock or Team Glock's site. Erik has bemoaned the lack of a magnetic tip. Who knew? :p

MDS
12-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Sample of one, but I had a Glockmeister tool which worked fine for about 5 uses, then fell apart. I'm in the market for a different one - I'm still experimenting with sights.

VolGrad
12-13-2011, 08:23 AM
The GLOCK took is pricey at $30 (as an Armorer purchased direct from GLOCK). Prior to that I've used a couple of cheap versions that always broke in short order. I ordered some brand recently after reading great reviews on M4C. I can't recall right now what brand it was but it sucked too. I threw it in a range bag for emergency use only.

Disclaimer; I have broken one of these pricey GLOCK tooks already after less than a year of use. The plastic handle just snapped in half. They replaced it FREE though under "warranty" so I don't mind the inconvenience.

The issues I've had with cheap brands are either the handle breaking or the depth of the hex head not being right .... either doo deep so the screw won't stay put or too shallow so the hex driver won't stay on it and get a good enough grip to get the screw in/out.

Wondering Beard
12-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys :)

So, a MGW Glock rear sight tool and a Glock brand front sight tool and I'll be good to go?

Do the instruction on removing and replacing the front sight (which looks like the trickier operation to me) come with the tool?

Several of you advocated red locktite for the front sight, what about the rear? I can easily imagine setting up the rear in a way I think is right but discovering on the range that it isn't. Wouldn't blue locktite be better?

jlw
12-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Second for Vol Grads post. Not much to it except that I like Lock-Tite for the front sight and a light coat of grease for the rear. The sight manufacturers instructions should be read and followed.

Same here. I really like the MGW tool compared to other versions I have used. I'm also a fan of the magnetic tip.

JV_
12-14-2011, 04:34 PM
I use the MGW tool, for the M&P, on my Glocks. It is nice not having to buy two separate units.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

jlw
12-14-2011, 09:06 PM
I use the MGW tool, for the M&P, on my Glocks. It is nice not having to buy two separate units.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

That's a handy piece of info. One note on the tool for the M&Ps is that it won't work on the 5" M&Ps.

Ga Shooter
12-14-2011, 09:52 PM

Bingo!! It did take a small act of congress for me to get the Glock front sight tool but it was worth the wait. I like it a lot better than the Ameriglo.

Al T.
12-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Several of you advocated red locktite for the front sight, what about the rear?

Depends on the instructions with the sights. Several of the rear sights are quite tight and a thin coating of grease helps. For sights with tensioning screws, after zero is confirmed Lock-Tite makes sense.

VolGrad
12-15-2011, 09:13 AM
I made reference to one of the crappy front sight hex drivers I tried after reading raving reviews off M4C. If I'm not mistaken it's the one included in the 10-8 e-mail blast that just hit my Inbox. I'd have to see it a little closer to verify 100% but it sure looks like it. I think I paid like $3 for mine on Amazon, shipping included. I guess you do get what you pay for.

Loctite .... I use RED on the front screw but nothing on the rear. None of my GLOCK rear sights have a set screw.

jlw
12-15-2011, 12:05 PM
My first Glock tool didn't have the magnetic tip, but VolGrad broke it, and Glock replaced it with the new style.

VolGrad
12-15-2011, 12:33 PM
My first Glock tool didn't have the magnetic tip, but VolGrad broke it, and Glock replaced it with the new style.

.... and I'll never hear the end of it either. :o

I can't help it I'm that strong.

jlw
12-15-2011, 12:40 PM

Well, at least I didn't tell them that you missed a match to go to a Taylor Swift concert...

VolGrad
12-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, at least I didn't tell them that you missed a match to go to a Taylor Swift concert...

.... and there it is.

Ga Shooter
12-15-2011, 03:37 PM
I think it will be a quiet range outing the next time you two go shooting.:D

NickA
12-15-2011, 04:10 PM

Damn, the Chief has Vol's personal nuke codes and a mean streak.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

VolGrad
12-15-2011, 06:31 PM

Nah. I'm used to it. He brings that up at least 3 times each match. Each time the crowd around us changes he finds a way to work it in the convo.

FTR I did NOT attend the concert. I was chauffeur for my wife, daughter, and her friend. Wife didn't want to drive into the big city at night by herself with the kids.

jlw
12-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Nah. I'm used to it. He brings that up at least 3 times each match. Each time the crowd around us changes he finds a way to work it in the convo.

FTR I did NOT attend the concert. I was chauffeur for my wife, daughter, and her friend. Wife didn't want to drive into the big city at night by herself with the kids.

Damn, the Chief has Vol's personal nuke codes and a mean streak.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

.... and there it is.

Well, it still amuses me... and the rest of our shooting buddies. VolGrad doesn't think it is as funny as the rest of us though. His attendance record is still far better than a certain other shooting buddy's who can't make it to the range because it is alternate weekend-fall new moon- shuffleboard season.

JHC
12-15-2011, 08:45 PM

A pretty compact guy who works out in the AM where I do has a T shirt "I'm strong for YOUR size too." ;)

JV_
12-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Lets get back on topic.....

digiadaamore
12-20-2011, 01:01 PM
for me nothing beats one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O5ILUM/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk plus its an actual tool that you might get some other use from

MDS
12-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Got my MGW the other day. Looks very robust, especially compared to my busted G-meister tool. Used it twice and it was solid, even with sights that don't have the same angle as the factory Glock sights - I was worried about this, because the documentation specifically says it's designed to work with factory sights, but no worries.

Only thing - the way it holds the slide in place is rock-solid, but it doesn't work with a SIRT. I had to break out the hammer and punch to work on that.

VolGrad
12-21-2011, 06:29 AM
for me nothing beats one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O5ILUM/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk plus its an actual tool that you might get some other use from

That's it. That's the one I bought and hate. The hex driver doesn't seem deep enough to actually grab the screw head. I tried using it a couple of times but went back to the GLOCK brand driver. This one is in my range bag as an emergency backup for the range.

farscott
12-31-2011, 01:24 PM
I use a Wiha 26547 Precision Nut Driver, Inch, 3/16 x 60mm, for the front sight. This is a tool designed for electronics assembly. As such, feel is very precise. Less than $10.00 from Amazon. I first used these to assemble the first 19 prototypes of a military comm tool. Eight hours a day for weeks at a time with a tool allows you to find all of the shortcomings. This tool passed.

LeeC
01-07-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm a beginner Glock owner and have used the MGW tool to change my rear sight twice. I was surprised that removing the stock sight deformed the plastic, but wasn't too upset as I don't plan to reuse it. Swapping from Truglo to Trijicon (both metal), brought no surprises.

Sourcing the MGW tool was a separate research project. Seems that MGW OEM's the tool to various customers, Ameriglo having the most hits. I found prices all over the place, and ended up buying 2-AMGGTOOL2 from CheaperThanDirt.com for $89.81 but they show it as currently being out of stock.

This front sight tool (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=2-MPL40441&ingb=Y) works well.

98z28
01-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Only a handful of tools needed for sights.

1. Rear sight pusher
2. Front sight tool
3. Loctite or Rocksett
4. Metal file (may or may not need this)

I like the MGW tool for the rear sight. There are two versions for Glock. One for straight side sights and one for sloped side sights. I have found that the tool for sloped sights works well with sloped and straight style sights.

I have broken both the Glock front sight tool and the Lone Wolf front sight tool. The best front sight tool I have used is the Aro-Tek: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=278/avs|Manufacturer_1=ARO-TEK/Product/ARMORER-S-TOOLS-for-GLOCK-reg-.

No vice, hammer, or punch needed. Just the MGW tool for the rear, a front sight tool (it's just a 3/16 nut driver, but it has to have very thin walls), and some loctite or rocksett for anything that screws in place. If you get sights that tend to run on the large side, like Warrens, you may need to file them a bit.