PDA

View Full Version : SIG P320RX Compact

DocSabo40
02-25-2017, 10:31 PM
I think that the P320 has been hashed out enough on here, but the P320RX compact may deserve some attention how that they are hitting the stores. I apologize ahead of time if this sounds like a commercial. It's not, I'm just excited to get the new blaster, and these are kind of my thoughts on it.

As far as I know, this is the first factory-ready RDS equipped compact pistol. I think that offers two main benefits. First is the price. The SIG was $749 with night sights and the milled slide with the RDS. My G19 MOS was about $1200 to set up with an RMR. Second is the guarantee on the RDS. It has SIGs "Infinite Guarantee", which by the looks of it will cover the optic regardless of how it broke, applies indefinitely, and is transferable. I really like this, especially with the beating that slide-mounted optics take.

So far I have noticed a few things that I like, and one that I really don't. The good: the night sights are nicely co-witnessed very low in the RDS window. The Romeo 1 has a small notch in the back which allows the sights to sit a bit lower, while still giving a useable sight picture. The night sights and Romeo 1 seem like a matched system that was well thought out. Next, I like the size of the window. I no longer have my RMR'd G19, but the window on the Romeo seems to have more usable space, especially with the low-mounted irons. Last up, and this is purely juvenile, but I dig the hell out of how the sight looks. It reminds me of an F117. SIG also includes a nice cover for the sight, which should be useful for protecting the glass/sight when cleaning the pistol. The bad: the brightness adjustment buttons are on the left side of the sight, where I foresee them being rubbed against the holster and inadvertently adjusted. The windage and elevation knobs also do not have positive clicks to prevent the knobs from moving. I'll mark them after I sight it in, and we'll see if it moves.

I have no idea what the battery life is on this, but I'm going to leave the sight on constantly and let the motion activation do it's thing. I've got a JM George on the way, so we'll see how the sight holds up to sweat and everyday use. This also has the heaviest trigger I've seen on a P320, right at 7lb 10oz average. I'm curious to see how that smooths out over the next bajillion dry fires.

I'm headed to the range tomorrow, and I plan to update this thread with any observations/problems/developments. I also really, really want to test the 1m waterproof guarantee in my bathtub, but I may hold off on that.

My wife took the good camera for the weekend, but here's some bad phone pictures of the RX next to the other two guns that I carry.

GJM
02-25-2017, 10:51 PM
After using the DP Pro, with a large window, an RMR feels like shooting through a straw. Will be interested how the Romeo holds up.

JHC
02-25-2017, 10:51 PM
Helluva value prop!

MSparks909
02-25-2017, 11:01 PM
The Romeo 1 has a 5 year electronics warranty. At least that's what my Romeo 1 manual said.

Dismas316
02-25-2017, 11:17 PM
Congrats, hope you enjoy shooting it as much as I do mime. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and really like it a lot. Was already carrying the 320c so this has been an easy transition. Carry in JMC 2.0 and no issue with the controls at this point. My 320c RX also had a much heavier trigger than my other one. Measured it out of the box over 8lbs and after 400 rounds still in the 7.10lb range. I ordered the gg flat trigger and just got it today and will install and hopefully get to the range tomorrow. My other 320 has well over 3500 rounds and is a nice smooth 5.5lbs.

I had to make a very slight adjustment to the sight out of the box but just 2 clicks on the windage (left/right) and it was dead on. What I really like is the modularity because while I carry the compact size, I do carry the sc quit a bit, especially in the summers.

This is the sc frame with the compact RX slide RX.

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj567/pgfins/romeo.sc.fde.1_zpsvb1ebnac.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/pgfins/media/romeo.sc.fde.1_zpsvb1ebnac.jpg.html)

mrozowjj
02-26-2017, 12:50 AM
I'm curious to see what you think of the sight long term. I've heard some less than stellar things about the Romeo 1s. I don't like that slide is only cut for the Sig optic. I understand why they did it but I still don't like it.

DocSabo40
02-26-2017, 12:54 AM
The Romeo 1 has a 5 year electronics warranty. At least that's what my Romeo 1 manual said.

First of all, sweet looking MK25. Second, good catch, it looks like it's covered by two warranties. Everything but the electronics fall under the infinite guarantee; the electronics are for 5 years. So if in a year I break the glass while doing a flying one-arm speed reload and it's totally my fault, I get a new Romeo 1. If the dot goes out after 6 years, I have to buy a new Romeo 1.

OnionsAndDragons
02-26-2017, 01:38 PM
I really want this optic to be good. The value is crazy on the package deals for these RX guns.

I'm interested to see how long it will take SIG to run out a v2 of the Romeo 1, because I'm likely to consider it serious about that point.

GJM
02-26-2017, 05:25 PM
Assuming the red dot optic is reliable, the addition of the integral laser would make the Sig an extremely attractive red dot platform.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/11/15/sig-sauer-lima5-laser-grip-module/

Sent from my iPad

busykngt
02-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Now if they'd just go ahead and put a Picatinny rail on that puppy so ya could hang a white light on that thang.....
You could load that baby down with everything but the kitchen sink! [emoji106] [emoji38]

Sent from my Apple thang using Tapatalk

Lon
02-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Assuming the red dot optic is reliable, the addition of the integral laser would make the Sig an extremely attractive red dot platform.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/11/15/sig-sauer-lima5-laser-grip-module/

Sent from my iPad

That's actually pretty cool. So for less than $1k you get gun, Optic and laser. Great deal if they work.

DocSabo40
02-26-2017, 10:58 PM
I made it to the range today and put a flawless 37 rounds through the new SIG. Kidding. I showed up 30 minutes before the range closed so I put a rushed 200 rounds through it. I only had time time to set up one target stand, so I shot at 10 yards.

I started off zeroing, and then did some transitions. I noticed a few things. First, with a dot I have a nasty tendency to snatch the trigger. I did a lot of 1-1-1, 3-3-3, and 5-5-5 drills at a 2 rounds/sec cadence, and I pulled almost every single shot low. With irons I accept some wobble in the sights and press the trigger. With the dot I see it right on target and want to press the trigger right now. This is very much a me issue, but it will be interesting to see how this changes (or not) over the coming weeks. Second, the dot is perfectly round, even with my astigmatism. I haven't used many red dots, but my Aimpoint and RMR both had blooming to my eyes. Again, this is a me issue, but still interesting.

As far as the Romeo 1 and the P320 themselves, nothing negative to report. The sight worked and held zero though the session. For fun I ran the 10-8 extractor test, which the P320 passed. I noted that the ejection was the same regardless of whether it had a magazine in it, an X300U attached, neither, or both. Also, I'm not sure if it's the larger window or how quickly the slide cycles, but the dot was very easy to track through the recoil. Didn't help my horrible trigger control, but still.

I've got about 2k presses on the trigger now, and it has smoothed up and is a bit lighter at 7lb 3oz average.

I shouldn't post this because it's embarrassing, but here are the targets from today. Between the trigger and the dot, I've got a lot of room for improvement with this.

GJM
02-26-2017, 11:04 PM
If your experience is like mine, you will find the dot is like having a personal trigger control coach, because the dot speaks volumes about your press. It also allows me to know how aggresssive I can be with the press and still keep the dot on target.

pew_pew
02-26-2017, 11:24 PM
Congrats, hope you enjoy shooting it as much as I do mime. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and really like it a lot. Was already carrying the 320c so this has been an easy transition. Carry in JMC 2.0 and no issue with the controls at this point. My 320c RX also had a much heavier trigger than my other one. Measured it out of the box over 8lbs and after 400 rounds still in the 7.10lb range. I ordered the gg flat trigger and just got it today and will install and hopefully get to the range tomorrow. My other 320 has well over 3500 rounds and is a nice smooth 5.5lbs.

I had to make a very slight adjustment to the sight out of the box but just 2 clicks on the windage (left/right) and it was dead on. What I really like is the modularity because while I carry the compact size, I do carry the sc quit a bit, especially in the summers.

This is the sc frame with the compact RX slide RX.

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj567/pgfins/romeo.sc.fde.1_zpsvb1ebnac.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/pgfins/media/romeo.sc.fde.1_zpsvb1ebnac.jpg.html)

What base pad is that?

LittleLebowski
02-26-2017, 11:38 PM
Now if they'd just go ahead and put a Picatinny rail on that puppy so ya could hang a white light on that thang.....
You could load that baby down with everything but the kitchen sink! [emoji106] [emoji38]

Welcome to a few years ago.

DocSabo40
02-27-2017, 07:53 PM
Well, it's raining outside so I thought it would be smart to go stand in the water and see how the dot looks when the pistol is drenched. This also may give me an excellent opportunity to test the warranty! Nothing too extreme, I just stood under the roof drains for about 10 minutes (I'm very bored), and then took the photos.

It's hard to tell in the pictures, but I was very careful to get the entire sight full of water.

Surprisingly, the water didn't seem to have any effect on the dot.

Now we'll see how the electronics do with the H2O. Should I take a hair dryer to the sight, or just let it ride?

GJM
02-27-2017, 07:57 PM
I would send that RX over to the dude from MAC, or whatever that place is called with the testing that killed the VP9.

Nephrology
02-27-2017, 08:08 PM
I would send that RX over to the dude from MAC, or whatever that place is called with the testing that killed the VP9.

"First, we're going to dip the SIG P320RX into a vat of molten lead..."

TAZ
02-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Looks like this RX concept is going to give the MOS and CORE guns a serious run for the money.

Alma
02-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Well, it's raining outside so I thought it would be smart to go stand in the water and see how the dot looks when the pistol is drenched. This also may give me an excellent opportunity to test the warranty! Nothing too extreme, I just stood under the roof drains for about 10 minutes (I'm very bored), and then took the photos.

It's hard to tell in the pictures, but I was very careful to get the entire sight full of water.

Surprisingly, the water didn't seem to have any effect on the dot.

Now we'll see how the electronics do with the H2O. Should I take a hair dryer to the sight, or just let it ride?

If you aren't expecting weather I hear that treating the lens with Rain-X does wonders to keep water from distorting the dot.

GJM
02-28-2017, 08:05 PM
Hardly any 320 RX pistols on GunBroker -- is there a supply issue from Sig? Also, did I hear that Sig plans to run 2,000 of the 320 X5 in March?

Drang
02-28-2017, 08:55 PM
I saw the NRA instructor pricelist from SIG today. I'm VERY tempted to pickup a compact RX model.
Me too, and me too.

Dismas316
02-28-2017, 09:00 PM
What base pad is that?

Sorry just getting back to you on this. I picked this up from a guy on the sig talk website. He actually made another version that is about 1.5mm longer with a slight lip on it. Makes a big difference in the grip, its right in between the flush 12 round and the 15 rounder. I believe his site is nxgen tactical. So far it's held up with mag changes dropping them on hard ground, but not cement.

JHC
02-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Hardly any 320 RX pistols on GunBroker -- is there a supply issue from Sig? Also, did I hear that Sig plans to run 2,000 of the 320 X5 in March?

Something like that from sfran

Lon
02-28-2017, 09:59 PM
I saw the NRA instructor pricelist from SIG today. I'm VERY tempted to pickup a compact RX model.

That is tempting.

modrecoil
02-28-2017, 11:06 PM
Just submitted the form for one. Never bought from Sig Academy Pro Shop. Hope it "works".

GO-FOR-IT
03-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Gotta love those Sig P320's !

DocSabo40
03-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Another 200 rounds downrange with the RX today. No shift in POA/POI, and no issues with the dot. The irons are not perfectly matched to the dot though, which does annoy me slightly. So I may drift the rear to the left a touch, or the front to the right. I don't notice it when shooting, but I want to be able to confirm that the dot has not shifted whenever I put the pistol on for the day. I wanted to wait until after this range session before drifting the sights, in case it was just me. But my groups with the dot are right on, and the irons are 4" to the right at 25yds, so I'm fairly confident that it's the sights.

I'm starting to get the trigger under control, it was a change going from my ~3lb Burke 229 trigger to the over 7lb one on the P320. I did mostly 7 yard cadence drills, and then some 25yd 10 shot groups freestyle. On that note, I shot my best ever 10 round group, just a hair under 2.6". And that is with my cheap reloads. I'm interested to see what it will do with some good ammo, from a bench.

The pistol only has another 600 rounds of FMJ, and 100 rounds of HST to go before I will carry it and get to work on that sweat testing. Unfortunately I did not plan ahead, and my holster won't be here for another 6 weeks.

modrecoil
03-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Just submitted the form for one. Never bought from Sig Academy Pro Shop. Hope it "works".
Quick update: Sig Academy Shop called me this morning and said that my submission has been accepted and they will give me a call when the pistol is in stock.

Also, if anyone is interested, it looks like it's back in stock at SOS for $750.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/188134?utm_source=030217&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=030217

GJM
05-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Stopped in to buy some fuel containers for a ferry trip at the local farm supply store, and was pleased to see they have an expanded gun section, that rivals dedicated gun stores. Tomorrow starts "Sig Days," and they had a 320 RX Compact. Handling it, two things stood out. The Romeo 1 optic display was attractive, and when I pressed the (stock) trigger, the dot dipped. Happened three or four times, before I got it under control. Dot doesn't move with the PPQ, and has not since the beginning.

Alma
05-18-2017, 02:41 AM
Stopped in to buy some fuel containers for a ferry trip at the local farm supply store, and was pleased to see they have an expanded gun section, that rivals dedicated gun stores. Tomorrow starts "Sig Days," and they had a 320 RX Compact. Handling it, two things stood out. The Romeo 1 optic display was attractive, and when I pressed the (stock) trigger, the dot dipped. Happened three or four times, before I got it under control. Dot doesn't move with the PPQ, and has not since the beginning.
You understand, of course, that the dot dipping when you pull the trigger is all on you?

GJM
05-18-2017, 03:16 AM
You understand, of course, that the dot dipping when you pull the trigger is all on you?

As a general rule, when anyone says "all, always, or never," I disagree on principle.

GJM
05-18-2017, 04:44 PM
In light of this thread, I went back and coonfingered that 320 RX Compact again. Prepared, I gripped hard, and pressed carefully, and still got way more dot movement than with either my multiple Walther Q5 or Glock MOS pistols. It is possible this trigger is on the lousy end of the spectrum, or most of those 320 triggers are getting after market love, but at least this individual trigger will be harder for me to shoot fast and accurately.

taadski
05-18-2017, 05:50 PM
My tongue! It's bleeding!

taadski
05-19-2017, 09:59 PM
My tongue! It's bleeding!

This is the second time this evening I'm quoting myself. I'm sure that says something less than desirable about me. :p. But in Uncle George's defense...

I made it to the big city tonight and got to fondle a 320 RX at Cabellas. Sure as sh*t, pressing the trigger in dryfire, the dot clunked down an MOA or six as the striker released. Repeatedly.

Then I recollected that on my own 320, I've seen the same phenomenon; specifically without a magazine inserted. It's just that with the dot, it draws one's attention much more.

So the hypothesis is that sans pressure from the magazine being in place, the little widget that rises from the frame (FCU) to release the striker will actually move the rear of the slide up slightly (making the dot drop). In my own 320, with a snap cap or live round in place this play seems to be nonexistent.

Anyway, I suspect that's what's going on.

t

LOKNLOD
05-19-2017, 10:26 PM
I bet you're correct.

The slide on the 320s I've handled definitely has a "clunk" in it when dry fired with no mag/snap cap in place. I could go get mine and demo via video.

OnionsAndDragons
05-19-2017, 11:16 PM
I bet you're correct.

The slide on the 320s I've handled definitely has a "clunk" in it when dry fired with no mag/snap cap in place. I could go get mine and demo via video.

Do eeeeeet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GJM
05-20-2017, 02:14 AM
I was doing my dot dipping without a magazine inserted. Will have to try again with a magazine.

Balisong
05-20-2017, 11:34 AM
There's frequently slide movement upwards when dry firing my 320s, either with or without a mag. From what I've read it's perfectly normal with that gun and doesn't affect it when loaded with ammo

LOKNLOD
05-20-2017, 12:03 PM
My attempt a video was largely a failure, so I'm not going to post any, but purposefully trying iterations:
No Mag, Empty chamber - rear of slide moves up slightly.
Empty Mag, Empty chamber - no movement
Empty Mag, snap cap - no movement
no mag, snap cap - movement
mag with rogers tap-rack aid - also movement. Clearly it's related to tension from the mag spring.

It's one of the little things I don't like about the 320, but I can't say it's an issue. Unless maybe I lose all my mags but still have ammo and have to single load round and fire them.

GJM
05-20-2017, 12:17 PM
This is the second time this evening I'm quoting myself. I'm sure that says something less than desirable about me. :p. But in Uncle George's defense...

I made it to the big city tonight and got to fondle a 320 RX at Cabellas. Sure as sh*t, pressing the trigger in dryfire, the dot clunked down an MOA or six as the striker released. Repeatedly.

Then I recollected that on my own 320, I've seen the same phenomenon; specifically without a magazine inserted. It's just that with the dot, it draws one's attention much more.

So the hypothesis is that sans pressure from the magazine being in place, the little widget that rises from the frame (FCU) to release the striker will actually move the rear of the slide up slightly (making the dot drop). In my own 320, with a snap cap or live round in place this play seems to be nonexistent.

Anyway, I suspect that's what's going on.

t

I bet you're correct.

My attempt a video was largely a failure, so I'm not going to post any, but purposefully trying iterations:
No Mag, Empty chamber - rear of slide moves up slightly.
Empty Mag, Empty chamber - no movement
Empty Mag, snap cap - no movement
no mag, snap cap - movement
mag with rogers tap-rack aid - also movement. Clearly it's related to tension from the mag spring.

It's one of the little things I don't like about the 320, but I can't say it's an issue. Unless maybe I lose all my mags but still have ammo and have to single load round and fire them.

Pretty fair detective work happening here, proving you all are smarter than you look. This also underscores my belief that the red dot is like having a trigger press coach watching you all the time.

So, for Timmie use, do you think we should zero the 320 a few inches high, so if we are on our backside, shooting with bloody gloves, minus a magazine, we have a better chance of hitting with that last cartridge?

SteveB
05-20-2017, 12:59 PM
So, for Timmie use, do you think we should zero the 320 a few inches high, so if we are on our backside, shooting with bloody gloves, minus a magazine, we have a better chance of hitting with that last cartridge?

For Timmie use, just leave the dot off.

LOKNLOD
05-20-2017, 01:02 PM
proving you all are smarter than you look.

Damning by faint praise, indeed...

In that case you've got to transition to a "eye of sauron" hold -- align the center of the big orange dot on the front with tops of the rear sight.

45dotACP
05-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Pretty fair detective work happening here, proving you all are smarter than you look. This also underscores my belief that the red dot is like having a trigger press coach watching you all the time.

Will the "10-8 dot test" be a thing now?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

YVK
05-20-2017, 02:04 PM
For Timmie use, just leave the dot off.

His dots are DP Pros. He does not have to worry about leaving them off, it's a built in feature.

modrecoil
05-20-2017, 02:35 PM
I see some slight upward slide movement on my P320F with iron sights but I can't reproduce this in the P320C RX with Grayguns flat trigger. At least not a consistent "dip". I notice a very, very slight hop but it's not consistent and an inserted mag doesn't change it.

taadski
05-20-2017, 07:10 PM
I notice a very, very slight hop but it's not consistent and an inserted mag doesn't change it.

Does a snap cap?

modrecoil
05-20-2017, 07:58 PM
Does a snap cap?

Yup. A snap cap in the mag eliminates all movement. I think loknlod is spot on - definitely pressure-related. After resting the gun and turning down the dot intensity I do see a dip now. I don't think it's a full MOA but it's there. Consistent dip with no mag or just chambered snap cap. Sporadic dip with mag inserted. Consistently gone with snap cap in mag. I wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for the dot, as you said.

Just for kicks, I whipped out a G19, 17, and an M&P9. I see slide movement on the Glocks (although much less than the Sig) and none on the M&P. I guess some movement is normal when striker is released without pressure from below but this is my first mini red dot and the sight alignment change is more obvious.

Learn something new all the time here. :)

GJM
05-20-2017, 08:07 PM
With dots on, I see no movement in the Walther Q5, a little bit in the Glock and a lot in the 320 RX (without a magazine).

I forgot I had a bag of iron sighted 320 pistols around, and grabbed a stock compact 320 .357 Sig and .40. I could detect no movement in either, but am not sure if this is a red dot phenomenon or something about individual pistols.

DocSabo40
05-20-2017, 08:31 PM
I have noticed this dot-dipping dilemma as well, except with me it's caused by the major muscled in my torso, arms, and hands tightening as I jerk the hell out of the trigger. I'm half kidding, but I do notice the P320 is not kind to me taking a few week break from shooting. I think this has a lot more to do with the RDS than the P320 of course. I'm going to test this when I head to the range on Monday, again after a few week hiatus. I'll start with the dot off and see if it's the disaster that my last range trip was.

LOKNLOD
05-20-2017, 09:56 PM
A picture being worth a significant number of words and all that, I sorted through my video attempts and this one is a decent enough demo without excessive rambling, fiddle-farting, or background shot of my closet floor. This is with a snap cap but no mag inserted.

https://youtu.be/w191_aN7Je4

PS. Yes I know taking video with the phone vertical makes me a bad person, you hate me, my mother smells of elderberries, etc etc etc.

YVK
05-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Looking at the line between slide and frame makes it quite obvious. Thank you. I was somewhat intrigued by a P320 X5; now, a little less so.

It would be nice to see the same vantage point video in live fire.

LOKNLOD
05-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Looking at the line between slide and frame makes it quite obvious. Thank you. I was somewhat intrigued by a P320 X5; now, a little less so.

I can't do live fire, but with a snap cap and magazine in place, no movement.

https://youtu.be/MMkgrqutgac

I can't say that I'd let if affect my desire for an X5 one way or the other, unless maybe it's primary use was intended as a dry fire trainer only.

Balisong
05-21-2017, 09:58 AM

This has been normal for the 320s from the beginning, and I've never either experienced first hand, or read about, any accuracy problems with the 320. And the X5 in particular has been raved about by a few people I know of who shot them at SHOT. I agree with Loknlod, this should not in any way be a factor in your decision to get one.

LSP552
05-21-2017, 04:16 PM
Some of the upward slide movement in my older Glocks is very significant. Can't say it drives the front sight down though.

JAD
05-21-2017, 09:28 PM
Some of the upward slide movement in my older Glocks is very significant. Can't say it drives the front sight down though.

It drives mine left.